East New England Sectionals Write-Up

Seigs

Sep 23, 2007, 10:24:33 PM9/23/07
First of all, we could not have asked for more in terms of weather and
location. It was one of those September weekends that reminded me why
I chose to live in New England
(even if we haven't won any championships in awhile). High 70s / low
80s all weekend and not a cloud in the sky. The smells and colors of
fall just starting to make an appearance. The tournament took place on
the soccer fields at Progin Park in Lancaster, MA, completely
surrounded by New England woods. We were the first group to ever put a
cleat on the fields. It was an awesome weekend of ultimate.

Personally, I get a big kick out of club sectionals. In the right
corner of the complex, you have the Twisted / DoG combo team, one of
the best teams in the country. For these guys, ENE sectionals is more
of a tune-up, if not a formality. Boston outscored its opponents this
weekend 75-22, and at one point on Saturday scored 38 unanswered
points.

In the left corner of the complex, you have college and high school
teams introducing the sport to their freshmen. I walked by one college
captain explaining what the force was. Another was trying to call a
line but had to ask the names of his own players. These guys weren't
there hoping to advance to future tournaments-instead you saw the
whole gambit of "T-Rex" points, games of "Wa", and the like.

(On a side note, I always view this brand of ultimate with a little
bit of nostalgia. I am not too far removed from the left corner of the
complex and still have fond memories of playing the game when my
primary goal was not to win a national championship. It's a
bittersweet feeling-I enjoy seeing it again, but I know I can never go
back.)

In Division 1 on Saturday, Pool A went to seed. Pool B was a different
story. The Gunslingers scored an decisive first round upset of the
newly formed DoG Masters team. The Gunslingers, a young team made up
of current and recent graduates in the Boston area, looked more
polished and disciplined than Jim, Al, and crew. It was obvious that
the DoG team, which was comprised of many players who were playing for
DoG for the first time, did not have much experience playing as a
unit.

But as the tournament progressed, DoG found its rhythm. They rolled
through the rest of the pool and matched up against the #1 seed, Red
Tide, in the last round. DoG needed a 2 point victory to advance and a
6 point victory to win the pool. In the few points I was able to
watch, DoG seemed to be on its game. They threw and effectively zone
and got a couple big layout blocks. They were flowing in their
straight stack O. When the dust settled, DoG had a 13-7 victory and
the pool. The Gunslingers, after their early upset, saw themselves
relegated to the 5th place pool. They did not look happy.

The story in Division 2 was the reappearance of the great teams of
Boston, the Rude Boys. After winning a championship in 1982 (before
most of the players at the tournament were born, including yours
truly), the Rude Boys took a brief 25 hiatus before strapping the
boots back on to play in one last UPA Series. Mooney and crew rented a
Winnebago, which they pulled right up to the fields and used as a home
base for their numerous progeny. In the first point I watched of the
Rudeys, I saw a 200 pound 50-year-old hurl himself in a chest-level
layout for a block that he barely missed. Despite more than their fair
share of injuries, the Rude Boys (and kids) easily took their pool and
joined Bentley, BC, and UNH in Sunday's winner's bracket.

[Also, thanks goes to the Rude Boys for sticking around Saturday night
and helping pick up trash on the fields.]

On Sunday, Boston Ultimate breezed through Red Tide to win a berth in
the finals. The other semi was much more exciting. DoG and New Noise
were battling it out, with both teams refusing to give in. At times,
the play got heated, with both teams getting emotional over calls and
big plays. DoG, down two breaks late, got one back to force a double
game point. Noise received the pull and worked the disc patiently down
the open side. After two incuts, Noise throws a quick IO to the break
side for the score and the right to rematch against Boston in the
final. DoG, after a quality weekend, was sent packing.

The final looked much like the pool play game. Noise, although aided
by a few very impressive skies by Brent Anderson, just could not match
the talent of Boston. Boston takes the game and the section 15-7. The
bids to Regionals, in order of seed, go to Boston, Noise, Red Tide,
Gunslingers, Tufts, and Run Silent Run Deep.

Division 2 was once again all about the Rude Boys. The former champs
ran the winner's bracket without a hitch, beating UNH in the finals
and scoring another tournament victory to add to their storied
history. UNH battled back to easily take the #2 seed by beating
Bentley in the 2/3 game.

The Rude Boys had no intention of competing at D2 Regionals and
graciously gave up their bid. Joining UNH and Betnley at D2 Regionals
will be Red Tide B, and Boston College. (For those scoring at home,
Tide B won the 3rd seed from BC in an epic and highly intense game of
"guess which guy on the other team has the most chest hair". )

Thanks to everyone who played this weekend.

Adam "Seigs" Sigelman
ENE SC
Boston #12