Jim Foster – 2009 Callahan

Jon Gaynor

May 5, 2009, 10:15:15 PM5/5/09
Jim Foster, the Wisconsin Hodag’s Callahan nominee, second-year
captain, 4-year starter, and all around force, should win the Callahan
award this season.

Jim is a baller; a dominant, game changing force on the field. A
quick overview of his career makes it frighteningly obvious how good
he is.
• Four year starter on Hodag’s O-line
• Member of the NUMP all collegiate 1st Team
• A 217-27 record
• 27 tournament wins out of 39 tournaments attended
• Jim has made it to National Finals every year he has started
• 3 Regional Championships
• 3 Nationals Finals Appearances
• 2 National Championships

There is simply no other Callahan nominee in the nation that can match
Jim’s accomplishments as a college player. Nobody is even close.

Jim has the throws, the speed, the hops, and the desire of a
champion. He is a match up nightmare for anyone in the country. Jim
demands the opposition’s best defenders and beats them all over the
field. While the Hodags have been a consistently top-level team for
years, it was not until Jim became a starter and stud for the team did
Wisconsin begin making annual appearances in National Finals. On a
team of big names last year (Hohenstein, Lokke, Mahowald) Jim was
still the go-to guy in every situation.

Is Jim a spirited player? Absolutely. Does he make shitty calls?
No. Does he spike the disc? Thankfully, yes. Does he get pissed at
other teams? Without a doubt. Foster is a competitor; he pumps up
himself and his team with the plays he makes. It has been said
elsewhere, but it bears repeating that Jim is a class act on the
field, and his passion and intensity for the game make him only more
exciting to watch.

Foster is the guy we can always count on to play his best on the
biggest stage. This season Jim has played all year with the obvious
target on his back. Teams attempt to shut him down but cannot
overcome his athleticism. Regional finals, the biggest game we have
played this year, was lost despite Jim going +6.

Vote for Jim Foster for Callahan; his success, ability, and leadership
as a player make him a unique candidate who is extremely deserving of
this award.

Jon Gaynor
Hodags

smart....@gmail.com

May 5, 2009, 10:25:39 PM5/5/09

smart....@gmail.com

May 5, 2009, 10:28:52 PM5/5/09
He went +7 in Regional Finals and won our Spirit Award in 2005.

Colin

May 5, 2009, 10:41:43 PM5/5/09

That's a great Callahan promotional post. Seriously. Facts presented
in a fairly reasonable manner and an honest account of Jim Foster's
traits. Little bit of "best ever" stuff in the middle, but not bad.
I like this a lot better than the "knock the other guy with
questionable, selective comparisons" campaigns. Is there any video of
Foster floating around? Clips of the day or anything?

smart....@gmail.com

May 5, 2009, 11:00:40 PM5/5/09
Video should be up either tomorrow or thursday

Colin

May 5, 2009, 11:57:41 PM5/5/09
On May 5, 11:00 pm, smart.jam...@gmail.com wrote:
> Video should be up either tomorrow or thursday

Awesome. Can't wait.

Pat.R...@gmail.com

May 6, 2009, 3:46:33 PM5/6/09
Message has been deleted

Jack

May 8, 2009, 1:05:04 AM5/8/09
On May 7, 10:31 pm, Dave Wiseman <dawise...@wisc.edu> wrote:
> What the bump is this doing on the 2nd page?

It's on the second page b/c you guys lied about posting a video. And
no one likes a liar.

smart....@gmail.com

May 8, 2009, 2:33:54 AM5/8/09

Not so much lied as failed to specify a time zone

muffin

May 8, 2009, 2:48:24 AM5/8/09

This vidoe sucks !

Message has been deleted

djhe...@gmail.com

May 8, 2009, 10:52:59 AM5/8/09

smart....@gmail.com

May 8, 2009, 12:52:38 PM5/8/09
High res version on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOvasm5k_uo

Jon Gaynor

May 9, 2009, 5:10:21 PM5/9/09
On May 8, 11:52 am, smart.jam...@gmail.com wrote:
> High res version on youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOvasm5k_uo

It was confirmed today that Jim Foster is significantly better at
ultimate than he is at golf (real golf, not disc golf).

Reb

May 11, 2009, 2:08:23 PM5/11/09
Jim Foster is without a doubt a phenomenal player. The sheer numbers
already posted about his career as a Hodag speak volumes about how
much he has helped his team over the past 5 years. The line that I
believe sums up Foster’s play best is Big Plays at Crucial times. It
is amazing how he has a knack for doing this time and time again. I
had the pleasure of being Foster’s teammate for 4 years and co-captain
last year. Lucky for me as a handler on the O-line, I got to throw to
him my whole career. Whenever in need, all I had to do was throw it
to Foster. He consistently drew the other team’s best defender,
consistently got open, and consistently threw bombs. If we turned it
over, Foster was the guy to consistently get the D back.

When describing Foster, it’s hard to have words do him justice because
anyone can write “this guy is great, he’s the best defender, he’s the
best cutter, etc,” but if you have ever been at the Hodag’s field or
anywhere close to it, I can guarantee you felt Foster’s presence. I
would say that this is one of his best attributes. The magnitude of
his presence on the field is unmatched in college ultimate. The fire
he brings, the greatness he demands from his teammates, the level he
raises his game to make everyone around him better. You feel his
passion for the game. His leadership is outstanding, his speeches
motivate throughout tournaments, he’s constantly teaching, sharing his
knowledge, and he is always making sacrifices to be there for his
boys.

As a co-captain with Foster last year, he ran the show. Foster was
the voice of the team, called lines, made strategic decisions, and was
the guy everyone looked to for leadership on a team full of veteran
balers. And, from everything I have seen this year, he has managed to
step it up in all of these areas as well.

He does not miss a beat in games, at practice, or during track
workouts, and he is the loudest guy cheering you on. He is that guy
you want on the line with you no matter what. He does not take a
point off. The Hodags stress family and Hodag love. Foster embodies
those two things to the fullest. He sleeps, eats, and bleeds baby-
blue. Foster is a prime example of why the Hodags have never needed a
coach. We cherish camaraderie, and he is just one of those special
guys that is able to keep the team together and moving in the right
direction while being at the top of his game on the field. He keeps
things fun when the team need fun, he motivates when the team needs a
kick in the ass, and he brings love for the game every step of the
way. Vote for Foster because he has everything the Callahan describes
and more.

Hodag Love,
Matt Rebholz

mattd