Cultimate is bull shizz

1 view

ji...@cappels.org

Feb 8, 2009, 10:57:51 PM2/8/09
SDSU went 9-2.
and got 57th place...how does that work. That whole D1 thing cultimate
is trying is bogus

Colin

Feb 8, 2009, 11:13:56 PM2/8/09

I don't get it. What's the problem? Did you not know the format
going in? Did you not get to play good games? Why is the final
placement significant? It sounds like you got what you paid for -
lots of games at a giant tournament with a format attempting to
accommodate its size. I don't understand the problem.

eckoun...@aol.com

Feb 8, 2009, 11:18:59 PM2/8/09
dude their RRI is madd low.

eckoun...@aol.com

Feb 8, 2009, 11:20:37 PM2/8/09
what is bull is the lack of score reporting!!!! cultimate should be
all over that whats the deal with that

mdmc...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2009, 11:30:15 PM2/8/09
On Feb 8, 10:57 pm, ji...@cappels.org wrote:

I don't think they played good teams.

Let me try to explain:
If there is a bracket of 64 teams.
Team A wins their first 4 games, making them into the final 4.
Then they lose 2 games (playing in the Semis, and then losing the 3/4
game), putting them in 4th place.
Now, Team B loses their first game putting them into a lesser bracket
of 32.
Then they lose another game putting them into another lesser bracket
of the bottom 16.
Then they win all 4 games in that bracket, because they are playing
poor teams, putting them in 49th place. (64-16+1=49)

So, 4-2 = 4th place & 4-2 = 49th place.

Therefore, 9-2 can equal 57th place, because they lost in early rounds
and beat poor teams.

Canon

Feb 9, 2009, 12:28:23 AM2/9/09
pwned.

Douglas T Lilley

Feb 9, 2009, 1:26:51 AM2/9/09
On Feb 8, 11:18 pm, eckounltd...@aol.com wrote:
> dude their RRI is madd low.

Mothers Against Drunk Driving must have had their hands full last
weekend in Vegas! No wonder some scores didn't get reported.

pkap...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2009, 10:39:29 AM2/9/09

come on, C1 dropped the ball... Duke is up and coming but not in that
league and Cornell hung with anyone they played and crushed vast
majority of opponents. Middlebury balled there way to within a game of
the elite teams. gimme a break- C1 cant reflect well because we do not
have the recruiting coverage or programs as much. Stanford had a
terrible weekend, as did Wisconsin and those are supposed to be two
big flag ship teams for C1... Cornell, Middlebury both showed they can
play with the big boys. Can you tell me that Duke deserves to be there
instead of those two teams? Cornell has played nationals in the past
and been in game to go pretty regularly... far as I'm aware, Duke has
not played a meaningful game on day two of regionals ever... face it
C1 is a great idea but wont work and teams are getting motivated and
fired up to beat up on C1 teams to prove it

Feb 9, 2009, 11:03:34 AM2/9/09

Duke has been to nationals before, out of a much tougher region than
Cornell. This year they have lots of players returning who picked up
significant club experience last fall with Ring and coed teams.
They're a decent darkhorse pick for grabbing the third spot this year
in the AC.

Kazan

Feb 9, 2009, 11:29:53 AM2/9/09
Duke indeed has been to nationals before.

Out of a much tougher region than Cornell, well, that might be true
now, but wasn't always.

Cornell made quarters as recently as... 2000, I believe? And in 2001,
when Duke was busy finishing somewhere around 14th place, Cornell's
region (Cornell + UPenn) did well enough at nationals to earn their
region a strength bid.

So yeah, the ME isn't so strong these days. But if you're talking
about strength in the time (ahem, the one and only year) when Duke
made nationals... you best check your history.

clickc...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2009, 1:28:57 PM2/9/09
> C1 is a great idea but wont work and teams are getting motivated and
> fired up to beat up on C1 teams to prove it

I actually think the inevitable chip on your shoulder that develops as
a result of being excluded from the cool kids party is a big part of
what would make C1 great; but only if the C1 teams could still
compete in the UPA series. Let's say you're Middlebury and this is the
year you get your shit together and make nationals out of the weak-ass
NE region behind Harvard. And then you face a C1 team that you don't
think deserved to be there...let's call this team "Duke". That would
be a hard fought, evenly matched game with both teams feeling like
they have something to prove. Sick. That's what the 15/16 game at
college nationals should be. I don't like the idea of saying that you
play Colorado or Florida or Wisconsin (make no mistake, they aren't
going anywhere despite the bad weekend) as take them down because they
would all kill Middlebury at College Nationals.

But don't think that getting teams fired up is any indication that
something "won't work."

Feb 9, 2009, 1:54:03 PM2/9/09
On Feb 9, 11:03 am, T <t-...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> They're a decent darkhorse pick for grabbing the third spot this year
> in the AC.

Just an FYI, there is no 3rd spot this year in the AC.

ME

Feb 9, 2009, 2:04:38 PM2/9/09
In the Open division, there certainly are 3 bids out of the AC Region
this year.

http://upa.org/upa/about/publicstatements/college_2009

I would say that UF and UGA are the two front runners for two of those
bids and UNC, NC State, ECU, Duke, Davidson, UCF, Virgina and maybe
even UNCW are in the running for the third bid. I may be missing a
team or two in that group but it's early...

Vassar

BFG

Feb 9, 2009, 2:06:08 PM2/9/09
Just an FYI, yes there is. http://www.upa.org/upa/about/publicstatements/college_2009

Mimmo

Feb 9, 2009, 2:39:12 PM2/9/09
On Feb 9, 11:04 am, ME <greg.vas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the Open division, there certainly are 3 bids out of the AC Region
> this year.
>
> http://upa.org/upa/about/publicstatements/college_2009
>
> I would say that UF and UGA are the two front runners for two of those
> bids and UNC, NC State, ECU, Duke, Davidson, UCF, Virgina and maybe
> even UNCW are in the running for the third bid.  I may be missing a
> team or two in that group but it's early...

QCTU will clarify this question a little

Feb 9, 2009, 6:37:04 PM2/9/09
On Feb 9, 2:06 pm, BFG <shade3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just an FYI, yes there is.http://www.upa.org/upa/about/publicstatements/college_2009

> On Feb 9, 1:54 pm, S <ehste...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just an FYI, there is no 3rd spot this year in the AC.

My bad, I got confused.

joad...@ec.rr.com

Feb 9, 2009, 7:08:54 PM2/9/09
On Feb 9, 1:28 pm, clickclac...@gmail.com wrote:

> But don't think that getting teams fired up is any indication that
> something "won't work."

no doubt. and the upa should learn somthing from this. seems like
the only thing missing was/is for teams to be able to legitamately
"move up" and earn a c1 spot. Thats where i think cultimate dropped
the ball with getting more support.

But the exclusivity factor can do nothing but fire teams up for the
type of competitive nature that generates intensity. This is why i
think the whole sotg creed puts too much of a boyscout spin on the
sport. People like to watch sports competitiors with "somthing to
prove" that are "takin it personal".

ager...@yahoo.com

Feb 9, 2009, 10:14:20 PM2/9/09
lots of players returning who picked up
> significant club experience last fall with Ring and coed teams.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---can either of those be considered "significant"????

mtma...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2009, 10:51:07 PM2/9/09

we beat them!

rollinnufffatter

Feb 9, 2009, 11:18:43 PM2/9/09

any dopin of the brain would be much apprecaited.

John....@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2009, 11:39:42 PM2/9/09
> lots of players returning who picked up> significant club experience last fall with Ring and coed teams.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> ---can either of those be considered "significant"????

probably as "significant" as a team doing well during one year and
attributing their success to WUFF camp attendance by the college 8
years removed. interpret as you will.

yd0u...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2009, 12:38:32 AM2/10/09
On Feb 8, 7:57 pm, ji...@cappels.org wrote:

UNLV went 6-5, got punch drunk in the game for 57th, and finished 58th
with 11 players. I vote UNLV did better.

Anyway, moral of the story - know the format, win games when it
counts..and don't complain later.

Kazan

Feb 10, 2009, 4:05:33 AM2/10/09

So in this vein...

I know Cultimate's business plan begins with the line: "Leech off of
the UPA's existing infrastructure to the greatest extent possible,
without contributing anything back to the UPA directly..."

But is there any shot someone will go ahead and finish filling out the
Score Reporter database so we'll get to see how the crazy bracket
actually played itself out (without having to click on every.
Single. Individual. Team?)

ager...@yahoo.com

Feb 10, 2009, 6:45:23 AM2/10/09

> probably as "significant" as a team doing well during one year and
> attributing their success to WUFF camp attendance by the college 8
> years removed. interpret as you will.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---are there teams out there attributing their success to WUFF Camp?
which ones?
i love those guys!

siat

Feb 10, 2009, 9:46:10 AM2/10/09
On Feb 9, 10:39 am, pkapo...@gmail.com wrote:

I'm a little confused why Duke is being called out as if they didn't
belong. They went 6-3 on the weekend in the top tier, including
beating Whitman, who toasted Middlebury. Maybe the problem is they
deserved to be there, but you just didn't realize how good they really
are.

pkap...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2009, 1:18:21 PM2/10/09
> are.- Hide quoted text -

I was going based upon some last year data and looking at the scores
that I have seen. I am not by any means trying to attack Duke Ultimate
and if it comes off that way, I am sorry. They just are one of the
teams whom I when are in discussion to being a part of C1 over teams
like Arizona it seems just way off base. Going 6 and 3 is a great
record against the folks they played if they only played those other
C1 teams (the lay out of who played who makes 0 sense to me and no one
is updating score reporter). I think my point is that the exclucivity
is a terrible idea and that teams are proving that.

nt27

Feb 10, 2009, 1:23:06 PM2/10/09

uhhh sorry dogg, duke was never included in the original C1 proposal.
the AC teams were georgia, unc, nc state, wilmington, and brodie.

pkap...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2009, 2:03:48 PM2/10/09
> the AC teams were georgia, unc, nc state, wilmington, and brodie.- Hide quoted text -

they were however in the C1 power pools for vegas and thats where all
this discussion stems from

ad_g...@yahoo.com

Feb 10, 2009, 2:21:52 PM2/10/09

i'd like to see you run a tournament the size of TiV without power
pools

Brodie

Feb 10, 2009, 2:34:45 PM2/10/09
you won't do it

nt27

Feb 10, 2009, 3:04:22 PM2/10/09

vegas had power pools, as do many tournaments. like the guy above
said, i don't really see an 80 team tournament attracting quality
teams without them.

the power pools, though, weren't labeled as C1... they just had a lot
of teams that were invited to C1 since there's some crossover with who
Cultimate saw as being worthy of a C1 bid and who was seen as being on
the level of power pools at vegas. as of now, C1 is dead, or at least
in remission.

Jackson

Feb 10, 2009, 9:32:07 PM2/10/09
I don't think that the score reporter is capable of displaying the
format that was used. The score reporter is a great tool, but as
someone who has used it to set up formats for smaller tournaments
(16-30 teams), I know that it is very difficult to use (you have to
add the brackets in the right order, you can't rearrange things easily/
at-all, etc.).

The format that they were displaying on the screens at tourney central
looked like they were using the new score reporting tool (the same one
that they used last year, scorereport.net?). Maybe they have the
format set up but haven't released the url.

ncwo...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2009, 11:55:10 PM2/10/09
I blame the style of the brackets they used, I mean brand new 1080p
HDTVs are so hard to read and the quality is just aweful, honestly,
why couldnt they of paid a couple extra bucks to make the brackets 3D
like those new movies now days. There would be no issues with bracket
formats if we all could of seen them in 3D.