Mid-Atlantic Regionals - Keep us updated

Joshua

Oct 3, 2009, 1:27:19 PM10/3/09
http://www.upa.org/scores/tourn.cgi?div=124&id=6090

let us know what happened and what's happening. Fans want to know.

gracias

bp

Oct 3, 2009, 8:39:38 PM10/3/09

scores are being updated - http://www.upa.org/scores/tourn.cgi?div=20&id=6090

Ring and Truckstop in the Finals.

X-Rates v. Pike and LOS v. Forge in the 2nd place bracket.

Joshua

Oct 4, 2009, 2:44:45 AM10/4/09
On Oct 3, 8:39 pm, bp <baker.pr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 3, 1:27 pm, Joshua <joshpmur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >http://www.upa.org/scores/tourn.cgi?div=124&id=6090
>
> > let us know what happened and what's happening. Fans want to know.
>
> > gracias
>
> scores are being updated -http://www.upa.org/scores/tourn.cgi?div=20&id=6090

> Ring and Truckstop in the Finals.
>
> X-Rates v. Pike and LOS v. Forge in the 2nd place bracket.

on paper, no surprises, bring the surprises! thanks for the updates.

Sean McComb

Oct 4, 2009, 1:30:06 PM10/4/09

Truck 14 Ring 13. Fact

Lhakpa

Oct 4, 2009, 1:57:00 PM10/4/09
Los up on Ring 10-6 = more fact. MA, are you sure you want to do this?

Lhakpa

Oct 4, 2009, 2:14:08 PM10/4/09
regulating back to 11-9

Lhakpa

Oct 4, 2009, 2:18:36 PM10/4/09
12-11

Sean McComb

Oct 4, 2009, 2:56:39 PM10/4/09
On Oct 4, 2:18 pm, Lhakpa <chrislimb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 12-11

Ring 15 LOS 14

Tom

Oct 4, 2009, 3:21:15 PM10/4/09
any updates on the hooray vs. axis backdoor?

sleepjunk

Oct 4, 2009, 4:44:34 PM10/4/09
TAU up 7-3 against Hooray right now.

Sean McComb

Oct 4, 2009, 4:51:31 PM10/4/09
On Oct 4, 4:44 pm, sleepjunk <sleepj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> TAU up 7-3 against Hooray right now.

Pike 15 LOS 11. Pike takes third bid from MA

3jane.

Oct 4, 2009, 4:52:46 PM10/4/09
On Oct 4, 3:21 pm, Tom <TG...@aol.com> wrote:
> any updates on the hooray vs. axis backdoor?

Does this mean Axis lost? To Amp? I may owe someone a beer.

sleepjunk

Oct 4, 2009, 5:39:40 PM10/4/09
On Oct 4, 4:44 pm, sleepjunk <sleepj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> TAU up 7-3 against Hooray right now.

TAU takes third bid 15-11

wix

Oct 4, 2009, 5:47:57 PM10/4/09

will this be TAU's first nats appearance?

pacemaker

Oct 4, 2009, 5:52:07 PM10/4/09

Why did LOS play Pike for 3rd place? LOS was in, weren't they?

Check page 10 of the format document, case 2.

http://upa.org/files/Format%20Manual%20Version_4.3%20_7.1.08.pdf

pacemaker

Paul

Oct 4, 2009, 5:54:36 PM10/4/09

Why did Los play this game?

According to upa series guidelines and page 2 of the upa format
manual, beating Pike twice earlier in the tournament gave Los the
right to declare victory in the third game without playing. Is the
format manual out of date?

http://upa.org/files/Format%20Manual%20Version_4.3%20_7.1.08.pdf

pacemaker

Oct 4, 2009, 8:58:23 PM10/4/09

I am sure someone will speak up on this.

The questions that are unresolved:

Is this rule still valid?

Did LOS know about this rule?

Was it mentioned to them by the RC?

Is the RC obligated to mention the rule to them before the game?

By the fact that they played the game (perhaps unaware of the rule),
does that mean they "wished" to play the game?

If the rule is, in fact, still valid, it seems to apply here. I am
not convinced the teams involved need to know all the possible
scenarios by which they would qualify for nationals.. However, they
should be made aware of their options in a case like this. Playing a
meaningless game where all you can gain is an injury , but potentially
lose a bid to nationals seems like a decision few teams would make.

pm

Sean Keegan

Oct 4, 2009, 9:00:44 PM10/4/09

From what I've heard, and I've heard a few different things about this
now... was that for Los to declare victory against Pike in the third
game, they would've had to have beaten Pike twice in the SAME day. I
haven't read the rules nor am I claiming this as fact.. just what I
hear...

David Stoddard

Oct 4, 2009, 9:03:38 PM10/4/09

I was at regionals. I left before that game, but I was talking to
some of the Pike guys after they lost to LOS for the second time and
they had been made aware of the rule by the RC, so I can only assume
that LOS knew as well. Someone who stayed the whole time want to
inform everyone further?

Vancer

Oct 4, 2009, 9:05:02 PM10/4/09
"Case 2
1 – It is the last game of the tournament for both teams.
2 – The teams have played twice already in the tournament and one team
has a 2-0
record against the other team.
3 – Either one of the teams does not wish to play the game.
If ALL of these conditions are met, then the game may be left un-
played. The team
with the 2-0 record will be placed above the other team in the final
tournament
rankings."

The RC plays for Los.

Just the facts,

Ryan Vance
Medicine Men #11

Knappy

Oct 4, 2009, 9:09:42 PM10/4/09
3jane, Axis did, indeed, lose to Amp, 15-14. Deflected D off a huck
for a win. You owe Clayton some beer.

Masters was Old Sag over Chesapeaked on DGP, as well. Steve Finn flick
huck to Len for the win. Then, Boneyard over Chesapeaked for the 2nd
bid.

Knappy

Alex Peters

Oct 4, 2009, 9:18:54 PM10/4/09
After 2007 (14-9 against Pike and lost), being up on ring 14-12 and
losing, and electing to play this game against pike, I'm working on
the theory that Los does not in fact want to qualify for nationals.
Maybe they just really really like Halloween and one of their
teammates is throwing an awesome costume party that they can't bear to
miss.

Lindsey

Oct 4, 2009, 10:38:39 PM10/4/09
wow. could this mean that Los is in? It does not sound like the RC
knew this rule....

homrbush

Oct 5, 2009, 4:27:49 AM10/5/09
On Oct 4, 10:38 pm, Lindsey <RunningDiv...@aol.com> wrote:
> wow.  could this mean that Los is in?  It does not sound like the RC
> knew this rule....

This isn't a rule, it's an option. LOS had the option to declare a
forfeit in their favour, but apparently declined to do so (classy or
stupid? Both?). As per previous posts in this thread, the RC
informed Pike of the possibility earlier in the day, and the RC plays
for LOS, so they would have known as well. LOS is definitely not in.

BFG

Oct 5, 2009, 10:36:32 AM10/5/09
On Oct 5, 3:27 am, homrbush <homrb...@homerbush.net> wrote:
> This isn't a rule, it's an option.  LOS had the option to declare a
> forfeit in their favour, but apparently declined to do so (classy or
> stupid?  Both?).  As per previous posts in this thread, the RC
> informed Pike of the possibility earlier in the day, and the RC plays
> for LOS, so they would have known as well.  LOS is definitely not in.

I agree there's nothing to be done about it now, but I ran into a LOS
player in the airport, and he was definitely unaware of that option.
Either part of the team decided to not use the option and not tell the
rest of the team, or it wasn't the RC who mentioned it to Pike.

Pretty shitty situation.

Oct 5, 2009, 1:51:25 PM10/5/09

I'm working on the theory that this post was completely unnecessary
and that you don't know what you're talking about. So please, shut the
fuck up

-Weeks

3jane.

Oct 5, 2009, 2:19:08 PM10/5/09
On Oct 4, 9:09 pm, Knappy <knappy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 3jane, Axis did, indeed, lose to Amp, 15-14. Deflected D off a huck
> for a win. You owe Clayton some beer.

Damn that sounds like one hell of a game. Actually I think I'm even
with Clayton now but I'll buy him a beer anyway!

Jared Smith

Oct 5, 2009, 2:22:18 PM10/5/09

Well you're either from Los, in which case please do enlighten us on
the details of this strange outcome, or very unnecessarily pissed off
about Alex's joke.

coz

Oct 5, 2009, 3:13:51 PM10/5/09

On DGP, Axis works the disc to the upwind endzone, Axis dude bids for
a disc near the line, drags feet inbounds, catches the disc cleanly,
looks like a goal. Observer rules him out because his SHIRT was
apparently on the line and that was his first point of contact before
he dragged his feet. Never seen or heard of this before but apparently
is in the rules.

AMP hucks to the downwind endzone, Axis defender in way better
position, way better read, really could have not even jumped and got
the D, but he goes up big for it, macks it into the air and AMP dude
glides in for the easy pancake and score.

Knappy

Oct 5, 2009, 3:50:21 PM10/5/09
3jane, I only watched the last few points of Amp-Axis. DISCLAIMER: I
had a few adult beverages after Masters finals, so these facts may or
may not be in order/accurate.

When I got there, a decent crowd had formed & Axis was down 11-12.
Axis tied it up but then Amp O line ran a sweet set play for a Brian
Felt huck to a streaking Raha Mozzafari for a quick goal.

Axis answered on O and then got a big break on Amp's goal line when
some dude (nickname=Shuttler?) got up high on an ill-advised swing
pass after the primary dump failed to get open. (Axis' men are some of
the most athletic that the mixed division has ever seen: lots of big,
long dudes with speed....they should be at least a top 5 seed in
Sarasota this year, IMO.) Quick score from Axis & subsequent sideline
eruption. Amp's O re-grouped & answered back with some nice teamwork &
the tying goal.

Amp pulling to Axis downwind-ish. Axis works it down the field to
Chase, about 20 yards from paydirt. Chase launches flick to Kuzy in
the back of the endzone. Amp captain Eugene closes quickly, gets in
front of Kuzy, and skies high to tip the pass away. Kuzy, being Kuzy,
makes a great adjustment & lays out to catch the deflection. Observer
in the perfect position to make the call rules that he landed on the
line & is out. No argument from Kuzy/Axis. Amp's Jeff Larz takes the
disc to the line, the initial cuts are gaurded. He plays catch with
dump Nurit Bloom, who eventually gives him a nice leading pass upfield
& Larz unleashes a backhand bomb before Chase can set the mark. Ex-
Pike stud Ricky Chung has steps, but the huck is too high & gets
caught up in the swirly wind. Ricky also appears to lose the disc
momentatily in the sun, whilst Axis' Jon Jay goes to the right spot in
the endzone. Instead of catching the D & probably expecting Ricky to
be leaping for the skying grab, he tips the disc towards the back of
the endzone.....and right into Ricky's waiting hands for the Amp win.

Axis is a classy group of players, and so is Amp. The sideline/players/
observers were all abuzz with one big Midatlantic--Chase bromance. He
is an incredibly spirited player, and everytime there was a discussion
on the field, he effectively ended the debate with a quick resolution,
whether it was his team mate or not. Example: late in the game, Axis
dude cuts up the line & is open when a pick/violation is called. Axis
player briefly debates his relative position with Amp defender. Chase:
"Nope, you weren't there when the pick was called. You were over there
(pointing further back behind the disc)." The reply: "okay." And
people moved. Immediately.

Congrats to Amp. Well deserved win. I always said that Axis is one of
the classiest team I have ever watched/played against, and they remain
a great example to all other teams.

Reggie Fanelli

Oct 5, 2009, 4:43:09 PM10/5/09
> will this be TAU's first nats appearance?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

....and you know this!!!!!

POW! TAU!!!!!

Clay Z

Oct 5, 2009, 5:40:18 PM10/5/09

3jane ... our latest "C'ville vs Amp" wager was double or nothing.
(you won a beer for C'ville's chesapeake win) so we went for double or
nothing at regionals. So I WIN ... nothing. we are even but i think
we should continue this fun wager into Nationals ... will you be down
there to volunteer/heckle/bet/party?

cheers,
Clayton

3jane.

Oct 5, 2009, 9:38:21 PM10/5/09
> 3jane ... our latest "C'ville vs Amp" wager was double or nothing.
> (you won a beer for C'ville's chesapeake win) so we went for double or
> nothing at regionals. So I WIN  ... nothing. we are even but i think
> we should continue this fun wager into Nationals ... will you be down
> there to volunteer/heckle/bet/party?

Sadly I won't but here's a bet for you (fine tune as you wish), if
Axis beats Amp head to head or if they don't play, finishes ahead of
Amp in final national's ranking, you owe me a double Absolut martini
straight up with a twist. If Amp comes out ahead I'll send you enough
$ to buy everyone on the team a beer-and yes I know they have a big
roster. I know you don't play for them anymore but you could be my
agent in this transaction (if it goes south for me) (which isn't going
to happen).

Knappy

Oct 5, 2009, 10:35:35 PM10/5/09
Clayton never played for Amp. He played for our old (friendly) arch
rival, KRU, though.

Amp was without their franchise O dude, Sean Murray, for regionals,
btw.

Oct 6, 2009, 12:57:27 AM10/6/09
On Oct 5, 2:22 pm, Jared Smith <sirjaredsm...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm not from LOS, but I can enlighten you that Alex is a dick.

Barker

Oct 6, 2009, 9:22:48 AM10/6/09
Knappy,

Player on Axis who got the goal line D was Chris "Scuttle" Barker.
Both him and Laarz played together at JMU.

Great game to watch. Congrats to both Amp and Axis

-MM
JMU '06

Clay Z

Oct 12, 2009, 4:13:23 PM10/12/09
On Oct 5, 9:38 pm, "3jane." <q3j...@yahoo.com> wrote:

3jane,

DEAL !!! If they happen to play twice ... tiebreaker is best finish.

I don't play (or have played) for Amp (just a fan and cheerleader) so
I will have to ask for a drink for all ampers plus a drink for me (old
sag #7).

cheers,
Clayton