NE Coed Regionals Seeding: The Editorialized edition

RBBa...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2007, 2:24:27 PM9/26/07
Played against/saw a lot of these teams this year and this is the most
competitive mixed regionals up here that I remember. Way more
interesting than Open (Is "Boston Ultimate" the weakest attempt at a
team name since, ever?) or regionals in MA or South. Seedings nearly
follow RRI.

1. Tandem. I confess, I like this team. They don't practice, they
play one late-season tournament, they earn the top seed without
playing the top team at sectionals. Bowman, Hopkins, Jay, Hoppel,
Vandenberg, Saper, Wiseman and now Mahoney. The Brown pipeline flow
uninterrupted to Nationals. I don't know much about their women (a
weakness that'll apply to this whole post--it's my Open upbringing).
Yes, they might lose a close game to SW but I don't see them losing
three games at regionals. They'll be in Fla.

2.SW. Lose Ted, lose Jasper. No problem. Would this year's SW beat
last year's SW? Yes. Will not be this year's 6 Trained. That leaves
one spot left for Nats.

3. Bytown FC. This is a very strong team. Dave Milks, Cournoyer,
L'Esperance. These are good players that we don't see much of during
the season. Canadian nationals runner-up. Crushed PR and others at
lone US appearance during the year. Will be very hard to dislodge
from 2nd or 3rd spot.

4. Puppet. A lot of losses this year. Against good teams but a lot
of losses. PR says they never had their full array of women available
and healthy. Tischler, Pollack, Herzog and the others would make a
top women's starting seven. High turnover this year, losing two of
their captains. PR player says they're not worried and will peak at
right time. Can't discount nationals two out of last three years, but
can't ignore largely new roster either. Will still be in the mix on
Sunday, playing late in the afternoon. Would be smart to play 4/3
women..

5. Bashing P's. No Joe? No Benji? No Ignatius? No problem. Only
losses are against quality teams this year. Only losses at regionals
will be against quality teams. Three of them.

6. Quiet Coyote. A bit of a letdown. Losses to Crafty? 7express?
Let's hope they picked up players since then. Badly beaten in the
games that mattered at sectionals but played well in the wind on Day
1. A real Dark Horse this year.

7. Chinstrap. Played few tournaments this year. Would be higher if
Coyote hadn't beaten SW once. Small squad. Where's Cork? Where's
Harper? As, the Chinstrap of days gone past. (I admit, I was once a
'Strapper too) Good women this year and this team is always in the
running but starts the tournament with a tough game against KF Grip.

8. Denoiret/Crafty. Should a section winner be seeded in the lower
half ? Probably when a team has no history prior to sectionals but
I'll give the eighth spot to the Canadians. Dunno anything about this
team but I assume they'll have some Camelot, some MHC in them and will
be decent though they won't be last year's Sock Full. Crafty wins this
match-up.

9. Crafty. Has high expectations of itself. Snared a Puppet capt.
and others this year. Appears to have assumed the mantle of NY's most
disliked team, even by its own players. Played a lot of tournaments,
racking up wins against weak opponents. Gave PR a good game at
sectionals and held on against a faster team in 2nd place game.
Fragile psyches, weak attitudes. 2nd round loss to Tandem coming up.

10. KF Grip. The team I know least about. They've beaten SW and PR in
year's past and played good teams close this year. Chinstrap/Grip:
best first round match up.

11. Smartwhores. Eh, let me guess? Swarthmore? Plenty of losses
during the year against iffy teams but led by two summer league star
players/Swarthmorians with sick speed and picked up a couple players
later in the season--a Mr. Pitts who's known some Dog days in his time
and can rule the skies when he wants to and Tim Soltan who I had the
displeasure of guarding a few times--glad to hear he's still in the
game. A dangerous low seed says my gut feeling.

12. Enough Monkees. Bashing P in the first round two year's running?
Back Luck Rodney. Two and out last year. A winnable second round game
this year but that'd be it. Sorry RH. This area once has competitive
teams--UU--but looking at sectionals scores the past two years, it
seems to have dropped off the ultimate planet. Kind of like Portland,
coedly-speaking.

13. Gratuitous. Don't know much about this crew. Well-earned 5th spot
at sectionals but first round demolishment coming up, courtesy of New
York City.

14. 7Express. Seven, good to see you back in the show. A long
running coed team. Not sure who's on the roster but in the past,
decent and nice players--good athletes but turnover prone when the
points get long.

15. Amob. Brookyn disc and friends. Tough first two rounds. Upset wins
at sectionals--can they steal a game at regionals. Chinstrap or Grip
would have go two and out. Hard to see happening.

16. Gobi. At about 2:30 Saturday, we'll have to say, "So long Gobi,
we hardly knew ya."

Michael Miller

Sep 27, 2007, 3:17:57 PM9/27/07
Slow White has never lost to Kung Fu Grip.

On Sep 26, 2:24 pm, RBBar...@gmail.com wrote:

> 2.SW. Lose Ted, lose Jasper. No problem. Would this year's SW beat
> last year's SW? Yes. Will not be this year's 6 Trained. That leaves
> one spot left for Nats.

> 10. KF Grip. The team I know least about. They've beaten SW and PR in

RBBa...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2007, 4:15:31 PM9/27/07
On Sep 27, 3:17 pm, Michael Miller <mikelo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Slow White has never lost to Kung Fu Grip.

I must have heard wrong Mike--you'd be the institutional memory. I'd
heard HoLay Cow at some point in the past,but it was second-hand. RB

Skippy

Sep 27, 2007, 4:28:10 PM9/27/07

Speaking from someone watching NE east sectionals..

I honestly can't remember seeing Tandem play more dominantly than in
the Sectional Finals. They looked like the team to beat at Nationals
(sorry SW). But if they play that way throughout, they are pretty
much untouchable - even by those west coast teams we saw at the Boston
Invite. SW will have an interesting first day at Regionals -down some
key guys, but they will make up for it, no doubt, and be a force on
day 2. They showed some great discipline in the wind on day 1. Other
than that, The teams all lived up to expectations and story-lines. If
it is a windy day (and regionals can be that way at Devens) I would
watch the poise of Coyote - they showed it for sure at Sectionals
(upset SW).

This was a very competitive section - having 2 teams that did well at
Nationals the year prior. Teams performed well overall and can very
well take all 3 spots to Nationals.

Don't underestimate Puppet's women.

Very exciting Nationals for Mixed.

Good luck. I'll be watching.

Skippy

Gra...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2007, 6:20:22 PM9/27/07
On Sep 27, 4:15 pm, RBBar...@gmail.com wrote:

They went to Universe in the finals at HoLay but SW won, that was last
year and KFG was a pickup team at the time.

Eric...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2007, 8:55:14 PM9/27/07

> > 2.SW. Lose Ted, lose Jasper. No problem.

(head shake of disagreement)

continuing with this theme

Giants. Lose Bonds. No problem. (sarcasm)