Easterns Scores and Photos

ME

Mar 28, 2009, 11:59:19 AM3/28/09
Easterns scores are being updated online on the UPA site:
http://upa.org/scores/tourn.cgi?div=23&id=5796

Photos are also being uploaded (raw) after each round by Easterns
official photographer Chad Borer:
http://easterns.org/open/photos

Vassar

GLV

Mar 28, 2009, 1:47:00 PM3/28/09
Round 2 scores are up...

GLV

Mar 28, 2009, 3:03:52 PM3/28/09
Round 3 scores are up. Middlebury and UNCW are rolling through their
pools with tough 1v2 matchups awaiting them in the last round.

UGA is winning but they looked somewhat sloppy in their wins against
Dayton and KSU.

Vassar

GLV

Mar 28, 2009, 5:28:17 PM3/28/09
All scores are updated. It's a bit wet here but manageable.

Williams and UGA are currently playing on field 1 for the final pool
play of the day in the A pool. 5-4 Williams.

GLV

Mar 28, 2009, 6:30:50 PM3/28/09
Last round of the day was the best by far. Williams rolled UGA and
Middlebury upset Duke.

Pool winners are Williams, UNCW, Virginia and Middlebury.

All star game up next and the jerseys look sweet..

buggle

Mar 29, 2009, 3:50:56 PM3/29/09
> > > Vassar- Hide quoted text -

score reporter is backass..... who's in the finals?

Tonercheck

Mar 29, 2009, 3:55:11 PM3/29/09
Virginia over UNCW 12-8 - lots of observer involvement in the game
Middlebury over Williams
Virginia v Middlebury right now for the Easterns championship

brian sherry

Mar 29, 2009, 9:14:03 PM3/29/09

talk about the observer involvement. this was an "observer
certification" weekend at easterns.

hopefully, the official photographer also scored some great observer
rulings, hand signal usages, etc.

ager...@yahoo.com

Mar 29, 2009, 9:56:31 PM3/29/09

> Virginia over UNCW 12-8 - lots of observer involvement in the game

---the more the merrier!...for the observers.

Brian Abend

Mar 29, 2009, 11:48:39 PM3/29/09
On Mar 28, 11:59 am, ME <greg.vas...@gmail.com> wrote:

Are there any photos of the final? Are there any photos of Midd at
all?

wig...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2009, 1:13:07 AM3/30/09

wig...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2009, 1:13:07 AM3/30/09

ager...@yahoo.com

Mar 30, 2009, 7:56:41 AM3/30/09

> Photos are also being uploaded (raw) after each round by Easterns
> official photographer Chad Borer:http://easterns.org/open/photos
~~~~~~~~~~~~

--have any observer photos been posted yet.
i looked real good and want to check myself out.

Chad

Mar 30, 2009, 2:31:43 PM3/30/09
Unfortunately I didn't get any of the 'observer involvement' but I did
get the play that caused it. It'll be an interesting discussion on
whether or not the play warranted a TMF. It's just a taste but I
don't think you can really make an argument either way based on the
pictures. http://frameatatime.smugmug.com/gallery/7762300_hAfrw

Basically, #1 hooked the Virgina guy and brought him down by the neck.

I'm still uploading the raw images from the weekend, but be gentle as
I haven't had a chance to really process them which should take about
a week. On a side note, Middlebury and Virginia agreed before the
game to not use the observers during the finals.

After a foul call which had a good bit of back and forth...
Mike G: You guys ready for a ruling?
14 players in unison: NO!

mgd....@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2009, 3:32:17 PM3/30/09
On Mar 30, 2:31 pm, Chad <chad.bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately I didn't get any of the 'observer involvement' but I did
> get the play that caused it.  It'll be an interesting discussion on
> whether or not the play warranted a TMF.  It's just a taste but I
> don't think you can really make an argument either way based on the
> pictures.  http://frameatatime.smugmug.com/gallery/7762300_hAfrw
>
> Basically, #1 hooked the Virgina guy and brought him down by the neck.

thanks for uploading htat photo sequence. great shots! I was the
linesman on the far side, so i didn't have the best view of the play.
the UNCW player in question defnitely was not intending any harm to
the UVA receiver, and tried to help him up directly after the play.
But this play is a great example of how "I was going for the disc" is
not always an excuse. he went for the disc by going through another
player, and took him down by the neck. whether he intended to or not
does not negate the severity of the dangerous play.

things got out of hand when players and coaches argued the TMF call
afterwards, and it led to three TMFs total, which turned a simple
turnover with UVA at their own endzone front corner into a 50 yard
centering penalty which led to an easy score. As I walked back to the
line for the next point, I witnessed a UVA player gathering his
players on the sideline coaching them regarding the TMFs. He basically
said "whether you think a TMF is a good call or not, don't react.
Just move on. What was originally a simple warning turned into two
warnings which turned into a 50 yard penalty. the life lesson here is
keep your cool. keep your composure." i thought it was a great move
on the UVA guy's part to coach his players after such a play. he was
exactly right.

ager...@yahoo.com

Mar 30, 2009, 4:31:19 PM3/30/09
On a side note,  Middlebury and Virginia agreed before the
> game to not use the observers during the finals.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--oh golly those guys sure were clever.....nothing like throwing the
game back 15 years by enjoying longwinded debates that resulted in
incorrect resumptions of play in the name of false spirit.
gosh it sure was silly fun.

the only time they did come to the observers was on an up/down call
for a goal at the front line of the endzone.....i wonder why they came
to us then....and no other time.

oh...they also came to the observers when they couldn't determine if
they were in or out of the endzone at the goal line.....

Chad

Mar 30, 2009, 4:33:22 PM3/30/09
500+ more just went up. They go to about the middle of the last round.

Chad

Mar 30, 2009, 5:24:27 PM3/30/09
All the pics from Saturday are up and I'm working on Sunday.

--the only time they did come to the observers was on an up/down call

for a goal at the front line of the endzone.....i wonder why they
came
to us then....and no other time

http://www.frameatatime.com/gallery/7740575_M5Gni#502187519_2EHyo
Observers called it up. Maybe that's why they only came to you guys
once...

Torre

Mar 30, 2009, 5:48:49 PM3/30/09

> http://www.frameatatime.com/gallery/7740575_M5Gni#502187519_2EHyo
> Observers called it up. Maybe that's why they only came to you guys
> once...

No hat = turn.

neel...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2009, 7:00:33 PM3/30/09

yeah, yaDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

Wagenwheel

Mar 30, 2009, 7:31:57 PM3/30/09
On Mar 30, 5:24 pm, Chad <chad.bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

It does appear to be down. Why didn't the receiver just call it as
down and play on? Why was there even a discussion as to whether or
not the disc was up? It was clearly down. So obvious as I look at
the frozen frame of the disc touching the ground and the hands not in
control. Poor spirit on the hatless dude's behalf.

You are right, why go to the obseervers, this game doesn't need third
party arbitration because ultimate players are better than other
people that play sports, certainly more honest, they never steal, or
damage other peoples property or steal frisbees. Let's face it
Ultimate Players, like actors are just better than other people. Hey,
I'm both, thus I rule.

Chad

Mar 30, 2009, 7:55:59 PM3/30/09
Ok, so everything's up except for the finals. They'll be up soon
enough. Middlebury threw zone about 90% of the time and Virgina NEVER
started with a man D so you're not missing much...

ager...@yahoo.com

Mar 30, 2009, 8:10:52 PM3/30/09
> --the only time they did come to the observers was on an up/down call
> for a goal at the front line of the endzone.....i wonder why they
> came
> to us then....and no other time
>
> http://www.frameatatime.com/gallery/7740575_M5Gni#502187519_2EHyo
> Observers called it up.  Maybe that's why they only came to you guys
> once...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---not even gonna look.
nothing like a still shot to NOT prove something that happened in live
action.

ager...@yahoo.com

Mar 30, 2009, 8:13:10 PM3/30/09
> It does appear to be down.  Why didn't the receiver just call it as
> down and play on?

---that's middlebury.
they trick everyone into not going to the observers...then go to the
observers when they are cheating?
huhm.....

that's why i call that sort of "agreement between teams before the
game to not go to observers" ...false spirit.

foot...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2009, 8:19:01 PM3/30/09

> ---not even gonna look.
> nothing like a still shot to NOT prove something that happened in live
> action.

LOL, well you may reconsider in this case. Unless you're being
sarcastic

pvd...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2009, 8:43:45 PM3/30/09

They also somehow managed to trick our own jerseys right out of our
bags and straight onto their tricksy chests. The cheatin' bastards.
They should have probably been given TMFs for wearing our jerseys and
cheating in them cause they were clearly having Too Much Fun.
We totally wanted to go to the observers the whole game but middlebury
kept casting their chilled out broskie hoodoo on us and we somehow
just couldn't muster the gumption to seek refuge with the
observersavoirs or refmessiahs or whatever they are. In truth,
middlebury bribed us with strawberry daiquiris the night before and
made us promise to eschew observers. What can I say, we are real
suckers for girly non-alcoholic drinks. It was really all super-
cereally against our will. Maybe if they weren't such huge bros they
wouldn't cheat so much.

mattk...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2009, 9:03:50 PM3/30/09
On Mar 30, 8:13 pm, ageric...@yahoo.com wrote:

Let's get something straight real quick.
In the agreement before the game between UVA and Middlebury we agreed
that if we couldn't determine on the field whether the disc was up/
down we would go to the observers (just like the observers made in/out
calls).

So there is no reason to believe that Middlebury had/has "false
spirit". In fact, I'd like to argue that they had TRUE spirit. The
finals was probably the most civil game played the entire tournament.
There were few calls made, and the ones that were made got resolved
succinctly. This was probably due to the agreement that both teams
came to before the game started. There were no heated arguments on
the field. However, both teams played hard and seemed to leave it all
on the field. Which is how I'd like to see championships won. If
teams want to make an agreement before the game, stand by it, and play
hard, I don't think that is false spirited in any way.

On a side note, Middlebury exhibited true spirit in some other pretty
cool ways this weekend too. They sang a hilarious jingle called
"Thumber Lovin" (a remake of "Summer Lovin") I hear they also sang to
other opponents they played.

Congrats Middlebury on the victory at Easterns, and for a successful
spring break in general
MK

ager...@yahoo.com

Mar 30, 2009, 9:17:27 PM3/30/09
TMFs for wearing our jerseys

---i don't think so.
that seemed like good spirit.
nice work UVa.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

we somehow
> just couldn't muster the gumption to seek refuge with the
> observersavoirs or refmessiahs

---that's dorkie.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> middlebury bribed us with strawberry daiquiris the night before and
> made us promise to eschew observers. What can I say, we are real
> suckers for girly non-alcoholic drinks.

---i believe it.

ager...@yahoo.com

Mar 30, 2009, 9:26:56 PM3/30/09
> So there is no reason to believe that Middlebury had/has "false
> spirit".

---i believe you.
however, i think anyone that agrees to not use the observers.....is up
to something.
i wouldn't trust it.
that's me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 In fact, I'd like to argue that they had TRUE spirit.  The
> finals was probably the most civil game played the entire tournament.

---i can't say....as i only saw a few, including a couple of
Middlebury's....
i don't think the finals was any more civil than the others i observed
where calls DID come to the observers and time limits were followed
and time limits between turnovers was.....i don't
know....recognized...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> There were few calls made, and the ones that were made got resolved
> succinctly.

---does that mean quickly?
if so, i disagree.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There were no heated arguments on
> the field.

---absolutely.
everyone was quite friendly and i totally appreciated the effort and
sportsmanship and friendliness of all the athletes.
mad props for that.
Big Joe McDonald(is that the right last name) from Middlebury is a
fucking ace and all those guys and the UVa fellas were all very
admirable.
don't mistake what i've written as a disrespect or something
disparaging about the individuals or teams or their respect towards
one another....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 However, both teams played hard and seemed to leave it all
> on the field.  Which is how I'd like to see championships won.  If
> teams want to make an agreement before the game, stand by it, and play
> hard, I don't think that is false spirited in any way.

---i believe it is. it's a trick...a ploy.
~~~~~~~~~~~

> On a side note, Middlebury exhibited true spirit in some other pretty
> cool ways this weekend too.  They sang a hilarious jingle called
> "Thumber Lovin" (a remake of "Summer Lovin")  I hear they also sang to
> other opponents they played.

---yes. that was terrible too.

Daag Alemayehu

Mar 30, 2009, 9:55:34 PM3/30/09
ager...@yahoo.com wrote:
> ---not even gonna look.
> nothing like a still shot to NOT prove something that happened in live
> action.

Normally I would agree with you, Mike: still photographs typically make
it VERY difficult, if not outright impossible, to make the call on a
close play. This photo, however, is different, or at the very least it
must not have been a close play in "live action." The disc is obviously
not in the receiver's hands and is obviously very much touching the ground.

ager...@yahoo.com

Mar 30, 2009, 10:12:36 PM3/30/09

> Normally I would agree with you, Mike: still photographs typically make
> it VERY difficult, if not outright impossible, to make the call on a
> close play.  This photo, however, is different, or at the very least it
> must not have been a close play in "live action."  The disc is obviously
> not in the receiver's hands and is obviously very much touching the ground.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---yeah.
i looked.
that shit was down.

mattk...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2009, 10:30:49 PM3/30/09

So it sounds like the thing that you disliked about the game was the
fact that you were ignored. Which I can understand, nobody likes to
be ignored, especially while they are participating in something they
love. (Think of it kind of like when your talking with your wife or
girlfriend or significant other about something that really got you
titillated, then they decide to turn their attention to whatever is on
TV and enjoying what is on, all the while not listening to a single
word you've said.)

When the agreement was made before the game I believe one of the
intentions was to turn the game's focus back towards the players and
the championship that was at stake; instead of having focus being
placed on hand signals, or the opinions of 3rd parties who weren't
playing for the championship.

So I guess the trick or ploy involved in the agreement wasn't
Middlebury's way of getting the upper hand. UVA knew that Middlebury
enjoyed and excelled at doing things the old fashion way. I reckon
the trick ended up being that your observations had to take a back
seat to the finals game.

MK

Peterson

Mar 30, 2009, 10:48:34 PM3/30/09

I called that one from 80 yards away as a spectator and I haven't
looked at the photo to know what play the picture is of that everyone
is referring to. I think I even mentioned it to the ref when he came
back down with the receiving team. It was in the far endzone from the
Seamen's last game field. The guy caught it on the one hop. Nice work
A-rod. This particular play can prove a couple of things- either that
player is a blatant cheater or players are sometimes not the best
person to make the call. Either way - a strong case for more active
observers.

Peterson

Peterson

waldo...@yahoo.com

Mar 31, 2009, 1:16:06 AM3/31/09
On Mar 30, 10:48 pm, Peterson <pevesteter...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I called that one from 80 yards away as a spectator and I haven't
> looked at the photo to know what play the picture is of that everyone
> is referring to.  I think I even mentioned it to the ref when he came
> back down with the receiving team. It was in the far endzone from the
> Seamen's last game field. The guy caught it on the one hop. Nice work
> A-rod.  This particular play can prove a couple of things- either that
> player is a blatant cheater or players are sometimes not the best
> person to make the call.  Either way - a strong case for more active
> observers.

Nice work eagle-eye peterson. But the fact remains that the two
nearest observers both called this disc up. So by your logic, either
the observers are blatant cheaters or they sometimes aren't the best
people to make the calls. Either way, it's certainly not a strong case
for more active observers. Unless, maybe we put them 80 yards away, in
the far endzone of another field--you clearly had best perspective on
this play.

It's easy to call this shit in hindsight, from the sidelines, or
looking at a single photo frame--but it happens in real time and
everyone making the calls (be it a player or an observer) is only
human. Errors are going to happen from time to time. And to label one
of the most spirited players on our team a "blatant cheater" from this
one frame is absolutely ridiculous.

Ultimate is full of controversial calls. There's always going to be
that question: "Did i manage to catch that before it hit the ground?"
or "Would I really have had a play on that disc if I hadn't been
nudged?" But the most important issue is that these calls get
resolved, and that all involved players feel that their perspective
has been considered. Some teams, for one reason or another, feel more
comfortable leaving this resolution to a third-party: observers. The
players from Midd and UVA showed an immense amount of trust and
respect for one another by choosing to work out the calls in a
friendly and civil manner, without having to rely on a third-party.
And ultimately, we resolved the calls by engaging the other team and
talking with them, rather than turning our backs to them and asking an
observer. Trusting and listening to your opponents--treating them like
friends rather than some faceless enemies--is not and never will be
"false spirit."

Ultimate, whether you like it or not, has player-based calls, and as
such it is necessarily a spirit-based game: it requires honesty and
trust between players. And in an ideal scenario, there is absolutely
no need for observers at all. In our game against UVA, there was a
mutual respect between players that we felt warranted observers
unnecessary--and this was one of the most spirited games I've ever
played in.

If you can't trust the outcome of a game that's played without
observers, maybe you should find yourself a different sport.

And, no matter how many times an observer tells us that it's within
the rules, there's no way in hell we'd ever start an early stall count
just because it took an opponent handler more than 20 seconds to chase
down OUR shitty pull and run it back up to the brick.

Waldo

ager...@yahoo.com

Mar 31, 2009, 6:34:03 AM3/31/09
> And, no matter how many times an observer tells us that it's within
> the rules, there's no way in hell we'd ever start an early stall count
> just because it took an opponent handler more than 20 seconds to chase
> down OUR shitty pull and run it back up to the brick.

---if you thought that we were counting 20 seconds from the time those
crappy pulls landed, you're crazy!
the counts never started until the athletes were at the disc...or
until the disc was half way back to the field....
no observer counts the time that an athletes has to run across an
adjacent field or way over behind the light post on the baseball
practice field.
the count normally starts....when it's gonna take 20 seconds for a
hustling athlete to walk or jog the disc to the spot.

UVa and Middlebury's pre game agreement didn't speed up the counts or
change the way observers make an effort to keep the game moving along
in a timely manner.
those two teams simply stretched the already gracious time limits in
order to be extra friendly to one another so that when middlebury
triple teamed with their zone or stradled nearly every pivot
foot....that UVa wouldn't call them.

part of that "ploy" i mentioned earlier.

you're crazy if you think we rushed anyone after your shitty pulls.

in...@thisisultimate.com

Mar 31, 2009, 9:12:06 AM3/31/09
Several weeks back Mike G. mentioned in a thread "2 observers is
plenty."

Go figure...

We recommend at least 3.

Hank & Co.
www.thisisultimate.com

Chad

Mar 31, 2009, 9:50:53 AM3/31/09
Mike, if you were in such a rush, you could have just left. The teams
agreed to not use the observers so why did you stay? It would be like
my boss telling me to take a day off but I come in anyway, then I
complain the whole day about how much I hate being at work. During
the all-star game, the older man who managed the fields was getting
pissed because he wanted to go home. He was yelling at people on the
sideline to get off the field (we were maybe 5 yards in) because it
was 'dangerous', and when I went into his little shack to put away my
camera, I overheard him telling someone else he hopes that it would
storm the next 5 years so the highlight game would get canceled.
You're turning into that guy. You didn't see Vasser complaining about
how long the finals were taking. He sat (and creeped) with some of
the other UNCW guys and enjoyed the finals.

I will admit that I am not 100% up to date on the whole observing
argument, but from your posts in this thread, it seems as though
you're placing all of the priority on the observers as opposed to the
players. It would be foolish and arrogant of me to even consider
second-guessing your admiration or love for the game, but to someone
who doesn't know you, it looks like you've stopped enjoying Ultimate
and started seeing it as a bad job. If that's the case, fine, but
don't let it affect the players who still enjoy it so much.

Finals pics should be up today

Peterson

Mar 31, 2009, 10:23:17 AM3/31/09

Seems like part of the frustration of the observers could come from
the fact the UPA spent considerable resources to bring an official
oberserver certification clinic to Easterns, a traditionally large and
competitive event. Then after certifying several observers the teams
decided, in the finals no less, that they didn't want to use these
newly minted observers. Is this the revolution the UPA was talking
about. Somehow I don't think that is what they had in mind.

Peterson

ager...@yahoo.com

Mar 31, 2009, 10:27:42 AM3/31/09
On Mar 31, 9:12 am, i...@ThisIsUltimate.com wrote:
> Several weeks back Mike G. mentioned in a thread "2 observers is
> plenty."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---two observers IS plenty.
i believe that the addition of linesmen....is unnecessary....and can
lead to TOOOOOO many viewpoints.

case in point.

ager...@yahoo.com

Mar 31, 2009, 10:41:33 AM3/31/09
> Mike, if you were in such a rush, you could have just left.  The teams
> agreed to not use the observers so why did you stay?

---it'd be unprofessional to be asked to officiate a game....and to
leave it.
and from what i now understand...the teams DID NOT agree to "not use"
the observers.
they agreed, i guess....to use them when they wanted to....ie...up/
down and in and out of bounds and in and out of the endzone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 It would be like
> my boss telling me to take a day off but I come in anyway, then I
> complain the whole day about how much I hate being at work.

---i'm NOT complaining about working the game and not being
utilized....not at all....didn't...haven't.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 During
> the all-star game, the older man who managed the fields was getting
> pissed because he wanted to go home.  He was yelling at people on the
> sideline to get off the field (we were maybe 5 yards in) because it
> was 'dangerous', and when I went into his little shack to put away my
> camera, I overheard him telling someone else he hopes that it would
> storm the next 5 years so the highlight game would get canceled.
> You're turning into that guy.

---what are you talking about????
i didn't want to go home. i wanted to see some kick ass athletes
battling and showing their best throws and catches.
tell me again...clearly, how i am turning into a guy in a shed hoping
for rain and wishing people would stay off the field.
please.
or don't reply in order to tell me that you're clueless.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You didn't see Vasser complaining about
> how long the finals were taking.  He sat (and creeped) with some of
> the other UNCW guys and enjoyed the finals.

---you didn't see me or anyone else complaining about how long the
finals took either.
what are you writing about?
you're the little camera tike, huh?
quick to run out there with your nice camera to show a disc touching
the ground.....big fucking deal.
you've got something wrong...with yourself...because nothing you're
writing applies to me.
don't start a fucking post off writing directly to me, mike, if you
ain't writing to me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> I will admit that I am not 100% up to date on the whole observing
> argument, but from your posts in this thread, it seems as though
> you're placing all of the priority on the observers as opposed to the
> players.

---from YOUR post....i'd say that you're waaaay fucking less than 100%
about ANYTHING.
....for one....there's no observing argument going on. none.
and two....you're just dead wrong about me placing any priority on
either the athletes or the observers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 It would be foolish and arrogant of me to even consider
> second-guessing your admiration or love for the game, but to someone
> who doesn't know you, it looks like you've stopped enjoying Ultimate
> and started seeing it as a bad job.  If that's the case, fine, but
> don't let it affect the players who still enjoy it so much.

---you're a goddamned idiot.
i knew you were the second you ran out there to try to show me your
wonderful evidence of the down disc with your super nice camera.
get your shit off the field....stay on the sidelines....click your
evidence and show everyone how wrong calls are made ONLY in ultimate.
damn....you're a kook.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Finals pics should be up today

---up what?

ager...@yahoo.com

Mar 31, 2009, 10:42:10 AM3/31/09
> Seems like part of the frustration of the observers could come from
> the fact the UPA spent considerable resources to bring an official
> oberserver certification clinic to Easterns, a traditionally large and
> competitive event.  Then after certifying several observers the teams
> decided, in the finals no less, that they didn't want to use these
> newly minted observers.  Is this the revolution the UPA was talking
> about.  Somehow I don't think that is what they had in mind.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---thank YOU

ager...@yahoo.com

Mar 31, 2009, 10:44:11 AM3/31/09
> Several weeks back Mike G. mentioned in a thread "2 observers is
> plenty."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---yeah...did i reply to this already....
2 IS enough.
more....begins to be tooooo many

case in point.

GLV

Mar 31, 2009, 10:45:24 AM3/31/09
Peterson,

Ultimate PLAYERS Association...Sounds like the players got what they
wanted and that's good.

I'm perfectly fine with what UVA and Middlebury decided. If UNCW was
in the finals I wouldn't have made the same decision but as TD I can't
make them use observers if they don't want to. Whether or not what
they did is good for the sport is a different discussion altogether.

We're really appreciative of having the UPA bring an observers clinic
to Wilmington. I'm positive they had a chance to observe plenty of
games and get some decent game experience. Bigger and better next
year....

Vassar

Peterson

Mar 31, 2009, 11:09:41 AM3/31/09

It does sound like they got what they wanted. I'm just thinking bigger
picture and the discussion you mentioned about being for the good of
the sport. Someday if the UPA sanctions college events during the
regular season I wonder if they will allow this. I'm guessing they
will, though like you, I'm not sure why any team would agree to it.
Great job organizing the tournament and coordinating all the UPA
activities.

Peterson

Peterson

Mar 31, 2009, 11:21:11 AM3/31/09
On Mar 31, 1:16 am, waldowal...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Mar 30, 10:48 pm, Peterson <pevesteter...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I called that one from 80 yards away as a spectator and I haven't
> > looked at the photo to know what play the picture is of that everyone
> > is referring to.  I think I even mentioned it to the ref when he came
> > back down with the receiving team. It was in the far endzone from the
> > Seamen's last game field. The guy caught it on the one hop. Nice work
> > A-rod.  This particular play can prove a couple of things- either that
> > player is a blatant cheater or players are sometimes not the best
> > person to make the call.  Either way - a strong case for more active
> > observers.
>
> Nice work eagle-eye peterson. you clearly had best perspective on
> this play.

Thank you sir.

> It's easy to call this shit in hindsight, from the sidelines, or
> looking at a single photo frame--but it happens in real time and
> everyone making the calls (be it a player or an observer) is only
> human. Errors are going to happen from time to time. And to label one
> of the most spirited players on our team a "blatant cheater" from this
> one frame is absolutely ridiculous.

I just re-read my post- I'm not the greatest reader or writer but I'm
sure I didn't call him a blatant cheater. I said he might be. Also,
speaking of labeling, you mentioned that he is one of the most
spirited players on the team. What exactly does that mean? How do I
get more spirit? Do I have to write cheers? Hang out with the other
team more? Act goofy? Really I've got to know how this is defined.

> Ultimate is full of controversial calls. There's always going to be
> that question: "Did i manage to catch that before it hit the ground?"
> or "Would I really have had a play on that disc if I hadn't been
> nudged?" But the most important issue is that these calls get
> resolved, and that all involved players feel that their perspective
> has been considered. Some teams, for one reason or another, feel more
> comfortable leaving this resolution to a third-party: observers. The
> players from Midd and UVA showed an immense amount of trust and
> respect for one another by choosing to work out the calls in a
> friendly and civil manner, without having to rely on a third-party.
> And ultimately, we resolved the calls by engaging the other team and
> talking with them, rather than turning our backs to them and asking an
> observer. Trusting and listening to your opponents--treating them like
> friends rather than some faceless enemies--is not and never will be
> "false spirit."

I understand the right the two teams have to play however they want to
with made up rules, old rules, new rules, refs or anything else. That
is fine. I just wonder why, at an event that the UPA was supporting
with an observer clinic, would the finals be played with very limited
observer roles.

> If you can't trust the outcome of a game that's played without
> observers,

What's it like living on planet Utopia? Hello- earth to Waldo... earth
to Waldo- come-in

>maybe you should find yourself a different sport.

Already did, I'm retired. Fishing is where it's at. And our
observers are the NC Wildlife Officers and they carry guns just to
keep the players honest.

Peterson

buggle

Mar 31, 2009, 12:37:23 PM3/31/09
> Peterson- Hide quoted text -

so there was a captains' clause regarding observers?
did they play in bare feet too?

buggle

Mar 31, 2009, 12:41:04 PM3/31/09

you still got that FJ45?

Peterson

Mar 31, 2009, 12:54:11 PM3/31/09
> you still got that FJ45?- Hide quoted text -

It is a 40 but yes.

mgd....@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2009, 12:54:12 PM3/31/09
On Mar 30, 5:24 pm, Chad <chad.bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All the pics from Saturday are up and I'm working on Sunday.
>
> --the only time they did come to the observers was on an up/down call
> for a goal at the front line of the endzone.....i wonder why they
> came
> to us then....and no other time
>
> http://www.frameatatime.com/gallery/7740575_M5Gni#502187519_2EHyo
> Observers called it up.  Maybe that's why they only came to you guys
> once...

I was the linesman on that call and made the up call when they came to
me. By the picture, there is zero doubt I missed the call. My
apologies to UVA. After a few dozen games, I'm sure I've missed other
calls, and I'm sure I will miss others to come. Same as the players
making their own calls. No one is perfect. Great picture BTW and
thanks for posting it. I earned any criticism on that call. Not
using the following as an excuse at all, but noting for future
reference to myself and other observers....I might have been too close
to make that call. The attemped catch happened almost at my feet (the
shadow just beyond the disc is mine). To me at the time looking down
on the play, it looked like the disc popped flat on the players hand,
not the ground. From further away or lower (courching down), I might
have seen the ground interaction better. Again, not an excuse
whatsoever.

If people look at this one bad call as an argument against observers,
I think that's a little short sighted. I know I made one call in the
ECU-UNCW game where an ECU player later thanked me for an out call
where the player landed in but clearly jumped from out of bounds,
caught it, then landed in. No one on the field was looking at that
part of the play and just assumed he made a legal catch a few feet in
bounds. The coach from the team losing possession even noted that it
was a good call.

just like players, observers will make mistakes. hopefully we are well
trained to be in proper position to make good calls as much as
possible. If one proven bad call invalidates observers, I can lean on
my 20+ years of playing to say players shouldn't be making calls
either, because I've seen all to many ridiculous calls on players'
parts as well.

again, my apologies to UVA.

ager...@yahoo.com

Mar 31, 2009, 1:03:56 PM3/31/09

> so there was a captains' clause regarding observers?
> did they play in bare feet too?-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---no bare feet.
yes skirts and pink oxford collared shirts for some.....until the
finals, when Middlebury used UVa's alternate unis and looked sharp.

buggle

Mar 31, 2009, 1:57:04 PM3/31/09
> It is a 40 but yes.- Hide quoted text -

right, the 45 is the "truck" model....

those things have been known to end marriages, etc...

ager...@yahoo.com

Mar 31, 2009, 3:07:12 PM3/31/09

> so there was a captains' clause regarding observers?
> did they play in bare feet too?-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---actually...there was one barefooted fool out there.......

ager...@yahoo.com

Mar 31, 2009, 3:11:36 PM3/31/09

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---KILLER POST MITCH!!!!
great form.

you also made, i believe, two killer line calls in another UNCW game
besides that "jump in from out of bounds call"
they hollered something like...are the cones in line?
and i ran over(i was on a bye personally) to get behind the back cone
and they were in a perfectly straight line.
i turned to ask the fans in the back of the endzone if the receivers
were in fact out....and they all agreed with your call.

keep up the nice work.

hoover....@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2009, 3:28:35 PM3/31/09
First, I thought Vassar did an outstanding job with Easterns.
Although a lot of the shots by Chad are taken in good weather,
everyone in attendance definitely woke up Sunday to some ugly
conditions. I thought the UNCW guys and Vassar did a great job
rolling with the punches and in the end, making Easterns by far the
tournament to be at last weekend.

That being said, I have a quick question for Chad. With something
like 1,700 photos from the weekend, are players/family/friends going
to have the opportunity to purchase the .50 digital download of these
shots? I know I've seen that option in past albums, but haven't seen
it on any Easterns '09 photos. I think that's an awesome option and
am hoping that will come together on this collection of shots - just
curious.

Otherwise, outstanding weekend and phenomenal tournament!

Addison
Ghetto Force, #8

PS. Love the idea of giving jerseys to the All-Star game winners -
would definitely up the ante, especially if they're as sweet as this
year's duds.

mgd....@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2009, 3:47:30 PM3/31/09
> keep up the nice work.- Hide quoted text -

the call you refer to was not a killer call. it was actually really
easy. when the receiver was standing there with the disc arguing that
he was in by the set of cones he was looking at, both of his feet were
pretty much square on the outside edge of the imaginary line between
the cones. but when he caught it, one foot was on the line and the
other was ~3 feet out of bounds. as soon as he caught it, he pivoted,
then made his argument relative to the new positioning. so the call
was very easy.

this play doesn't argue for observers, it argues for lined fields. he
was out and called as such, but lined fields would have helped the
receiver position himself in bounds. The receiver was stationary,
calling for the disc before the throw while already OB on this
particular play. Lined fields would have either helped him not do
this or made for some top notch heckling.

GLV

Mar 31, 2009, 4:26:11 PM3/31/09
Mitch,

On Saturday we had .97 inches of rain. On Sunday, .27. That's a lot.

Our lines were washed away by these downpours and buried under mud
from players tromping around the sidelines. Fields 3 and 6 fared
somewhat better but they were still somewhat obscured by mud. The
fact that we had no lines on Sunday for most fields really bugged
me...Every high level event needs them so we're going to work on that
for next year.

Vassar

Chad

Mar 31, 2009, 4:58:24 PM3/31/09
Final are up on the last 2-3 pages

--With something

like 1,700 photos from the weekend, are players/family/friends going
to have the opportunity to purchase the .50 digital download of these
shots?

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought I had that enabled as an
option but I guess it slipped through the cracks. In any case, it's
available now, but if I were you, I'd wait until the end of the week
to purchase anything at all. By then I'll have a chance to go through
them all and weave my little magic to make sure they're all looking
they're best. I will be cutting the ones that aren't fit to be up, so
if you're worried one might not be there at the end of the week, send
me an email and I'll be sure to keep it in there.

mgd....@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2009, 5:06:02 PM3/31/09

greg, please don't think i am saying "can't believe the fields weren't
lined." I know exactly where the lines went and why, and it was
outside of your control. If you could control the weather, Mike G
would have nothing on you as a TD. ;) It would have been nice if you
could have gone over the lines again on sunday, that's a tall order
given the downpour we were experiencing and the million onther things
that needed to be taken care of.

It was more just an observation about this particular play that went
through this old brain.

can't wait for the college series.
mitch

Wagenwheel

Mar 31, 2009, 5:37:27 PM3/31/09

I saw the call where he leapt from out of bounds. That was a GREAT
call. Nice work.

theodore....@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2009, 6:23:23 PM3/31/09
Bros-
We’re losing sight of our original discussion, and more importantly,
why we were all gathered together in Wilmington.... Which is the
dopest: Miller Chill or Bud Light with Lime?

Can’t decide?
Then come to Middlebury’s thirtieth annual “Get Ho, Get Lei’d”
Tournament on May 9th and 10th where BOTH will be served at the
parties.

Much has been said of our "false spirit," but not enough has been said
of our "false spirits." That's a clever way of saying that the Virgin
Strawberry Daiquiris will flow as freely as tears from a new player’s
eyes when he witnesses Neeley’s slow fakes for the first time! (<3
NEELEY: http://frameatatime.smugmug.com/gallery/7740575_M5Gni#502277624_5ofM9

In addition to kicking back some brewskis, players can pound some beef
slamwiches (burgers) and h-dogs at the on-site BBQ on fraturday.

Get some.
Contact pprial at middlebury dot edu for more deetz (details)!

joe mAcdonald and Jake "The Sauce" Herman

Wagenwheel

Mar 31, 2009, 8:01:06 PM3/31/09
On Mar 31, 6:23 pm, "theodore.macdon...@gmail.com"

He might have caught that one. Note to self, open eyes when catching
the frisbee.

http://frameatatime.smugmug.com/gallery/7740575_M5Gni#502891751_6uFHq

Nice elevation tho.

Austin

Mar 31, 2009, 9:08:11 PM3/31/09

> MK

So what it sounds like is...

UVa + Middlebury - observers = fun
I'm having trouble seeing the problem with teams enjoying a very
competitive championship

There are teams that are great at the sport but have nothing else to
talk about except ultimate. They are obsessed with rules and love to
slow the game down so that they gain an advantage. They basically lack
personality and generally dislike fun.

Then there are teams like mine that have a little too much fun, but
pay the price and don't get a chance to play really competitively.

UVa and Middlebury seem to have found that perfect middle
ground...it's no wonder people are angry. Could it be jealousy?
UVa and/or Middlebury, if I wish I could play on your team, if only
for one tournament.

If UVa and Middlebury go to Nationals it will be a better tournament
for everyone involved (fans, players, observers...) and hopefully will
rub off on these teams who take themselves too seriously.

(on a side note: UVa and Middlebury...not from the south...go to two
southern tournaments in a row and excel at BOTH of them.)

...and I love you Matt King.

BC

Mar 31, 2009, 9:24:34 PM3/31/09
Mitch,
It takes us approximately 4 hours or more to line all 8 fields with
lines. There was no opportunity between the end of play around 8:30
p.m. and the beginning of play the next day at supposed to be 8:30
a.m. on Sunday. We would need dry fields, lights for the fields for
those 4+ hours and a crew of people who were not sleeping that night
as well as permission from our strict club sports dept to use these
fields overnight. I don't think this is even a remote possibility
given all the conditions that have to be met prior to lining these
fields. Yes, lined fields on Sunday would have been nice but it is a
near impossible thing to ask for given the circumstances and necessary
requirements.

BC

McB

Mar 31, 2009, 9:41:20 PM3/31/09
> (on a side note: UVa and Middlebury...not from the south...go to two
> southern tournaments in a row and excel at BOTH of them.)

Since when is Virginia not part of the South? That's patently
ridiculous.

Wagenwheel

Apr 1, 2009, 7:52:54 AM4/1/09

McB, you beat me to the punch. UVA is more southern than southern,
they're super-way southern. Somebody give that kid a map and a histry
lesson.

Austin

Apr 1, 2009, 8:53:32 AM4/1/09

I meant not from the deep south. Statesboro is and Wilmington aren't
exactly in their backyard.

But golly gee I should watch what I say huh?!?!?!?

mgd....@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2009, 10:37:11 AM4/1/09

i believe that's why i said "that's a tall order given the downpour we

were experiencing and the million onther things that needed to be
taken care of. "

Again folks, I am not saying "i can't believe the fields weren't
lined." I'm saying it would have been nice, but I understand weather
and time didn't permit it. and my original point was "lined fields
were more important than observers for that particular play."

Chad

Apr 11, 2009, 9:58:43 AM4/11/09
Not sure if it's still on anyone's mind, but Easterns pics are now
finalized up at http://www.frameatatime.com/gallery/7740575_M5Gni

Good luck to all the teams at Sectionals this weekend