Team USA Announced

Plankton

Mar 9, 2009, 4:08:23 PM3/9/09

ager...@yahoo.com

Mar 9, 2009, 4:35:32 PM3/9/09
> http://www.upa.org/programs/intl/worldgames2009/teamselection
>
> Discuss...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---discuss.....ok.......
uhm.....that's a nice webpage address....i like all the letters and
back slashes

Mar 9, 2009, 4:39:00 PM3/9/09
initial thoughts:
No coed players made it.
Only two Callahans, both women. (out of I think 5 women, 2 boys, I
think)
13 westies, 7 easties. (based on where I assume people tried out)

On Mar 9, 2:08 pm, Plankton <nicklambert...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.upa.org/programs/intl/worldgames2009/teamselection
>
> Discuss...

Mar 9, 2009, 4:40:33 PM3/9/09
For Mike's sake, here's the list:
Name City/State Club Team College Team
Gwen Ambler Seattle, WA Fury Stanford University
Sam Chatterton-Kirchmeier Seattle, WA Sockeye Univ of CA Santa Cruz
Cara Crouch Austin, TX Showdown Univ of Texas
Deb Cussen Decatur, GA Ozone Carleton College
Jolian Dahl Boulder, CO Johnny Bravo Univ of Colorado
Kathy Dobson Cambridge, MA Brute Squad MIT
Liz Duffy Seattle, WA Riot Amherst College
Cate Foster Raleigh, NC Backhoe College of Charleston
Cree Howard Berkeley, CA Fury Univ of CA Berkeley
Jared Inselman Chapel Hill, NC Ring of Fire Univ of Pennsylvania
Beau Kittredge Boulder, CO Johnny Bravo Univ of Colorado
Chelsea Putnam Portland, OR Schwa Univ of Oregon
Jonathan Remucal Berkeley, CA JAM Carleton College
Steven Rouisse Boulder, CO Johnny Bravo Univ of Colorado
Gabe Saunkeah Berkeley, CA JAM Univ of CA Berkeley
Adam Simon New Haven, CT Johnny Bravo Univ of Colorado
Dylan Tunnell Atlanta, GA Chain Lightning Univ of Georgia
Bart Watson Oakland, CA JAM Stanford, Univ of CA Berkeley
Alicia White Oakland, CA Fury Univ of CA San Diego
Seth Wiggins San Francisco, CA Revolver Univ of OregonOn Mar 9,

ager...@yahoo.com

Mar 9, 2009, 4:54:42 PM3/9/09
---there's more than just a few letters and back slashes!!!
i didn't think that that conversation was going to last too long.
now....we've got something to work with.
thanks H, for posting the team

---damn...i hate nearly all of the teams those athletes represent.
gross.

one former NUMPanel Member!...at least..

Adam Tarr

Mar 9, 2009, 5:02:13 PM3/9/09

First, in the harshest sense, this isn't the team as much as it is the
first cut. Only 13 get to make the trip and suit up. Unlike 2005,
though, this group isn't broken up into the starters and the
alternates.

Only female repeater: Deb Cussen. Gwen was an alternate last time.
(Miranda Roth (played) and Angela Lin (alternate) also tried out.

Only male repeater: Bart Watson. Jeff E-A and Mike Namkung also tried
out.

Is Cree Howard the first active college player to be named to team
USA? That's a reasonably strong Callahan endorsement...

Adam Tarr

Mar 9, 2009, 5:08:34 PM3/9/09
On Mar 9, 3:02 pm, Adam Tarr <ahtarrNOS...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Only female repeater: Deb Cussen.  Gwen was an alternate last time.
> (Miranda Roth (played) and Angela Lin (alternate) also tried out.

...as did Dominique Fontenette.

ultimatep...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2009, 5:19:19 PM3/9/09
someone do a positional breakdown...

yfc...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2009, 5:19:59 PM3/9/09
only one woman from riot and one guy from sockeye made it. 5 riot
women and 3 sockeye players were at try-outs.

only one guy and one girl from the traveling team four years ago.
total of 5 tried out.

only two women handlers on the team. at least 15 on the try-out list.

obviously went with tall and athletic overall.

a few players i wouldn't describe as natural "ambassadors."

MD

Mar 9, 2009, 5:21:53 PM3/9/09
Looking at the list by team:

Men
Bravo (4)
Jam (3)
Sockeye (1)
Chain (1)
Ring (1)
Revolver (1)

Women
Fury (3)
Riot (1)
Showdown (1)
Ozone (1)
Brute Squad (1)
Backhoe (1)
Schwa (1)

Interesting than no Ironside players made the cut, despite having the
same coach. Coincidence?

Most notable omissions to me were Miranda Roth and Mike Caldwell.

yfc...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2009, 5:22:47 PM3/9/09
zip and miranda were both still playing in college when they were on
the world games team 4 years ago. miranda had already won the
callahan the year before, but zip won it in 2005.

Adam Tarr

Mar 9, 2009, 5:31:51 PM3/9/09
On Mar 9, 3:22 pm, yfc1...@gmail.com wrote:
> zip and miranda were both still playing in college when they were on
> the world games team 4 years ago.  miranda had already won the
> callahan the year before, but zip won it in 2005.

Ah, you're right, for some reason I was thinking the team wasn't
announced until after the college season. Both of them wrapped up
their college careers in 2005.

Will Cree benefit from the Zip effect?

jacob

Mar 9, 2009, 6:01:05 PM3/9/09
"Most notable omissions to me were Miranda Roth and Mike Caldwell."

Mike Caldwell is only good if you like players who make game-winning
plays.

bish...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2009, 6:59:46 PM3/9/09

include mamabird/bravo's mac taylor to your notable omissions.

Greenough

Mar 9, 2009, 7:38:55 PM3/9/09
> include mamabird/bravo's mac taylor to your notable omissions.- Hide quoted text -

not notable like MC, people had to be good to get on the list.

MC has been nothing short of great for quite some time now. He is by
far one of the scariest match-ups to try and contain. Every other
country who played Sockeye at worlds last year is breathing a sigh of
relief that he is not on the list.

Congrats and good luck to all who made this round and the traveling
tour, represent the sport well this spring/summer.

Greenough

Paul Utesch

Mar 9, 2009, 7:45:47 PM3/9/09
This is an outrage. Where are your Jordan Seabergs and your Kenny
Mayfields? I demand a recount.

yfc...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2009, 8:41:19 PM3/9/09
On Mar 9, 2:19 pm, ultimatephotogra...@gmail.com wrote:
> someone do a positional breakdown...

handlers:
deb
cara
rouisse
seth
chicken
gabe

receivers:
kathy
duffy
cree
alicia
cate
dylan
beau
jolian
jared

might play either position:
gwen
chelsea
bart
sam ck
jon

also, considering how much athleticism seemed to play a role in the
selection, add enessa janes to the top of the notable absences list.

dust.mc...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2009, 11:56:02 PM3/9/09
On Mar 9, 6:45 pm, Paul Utesch <paute...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is an outrage.  Where are your Jordan Seabergs and your Kenny
> Mayfields?  I demand a recount.

Team USA isn't good enough for Kenny Mayfield. His high school team
was better.

Matt Johnson

Mar 10, 2009, 9:27:53 AM3/10/09

I feel like there should be more couples on the list. Or at least one
'token' couple. I hope there are some people looking to at least hook
up, so in 4 years there can be an 'awe' story on 3SPN when they cover
the games.

On a side note, does anyone have wingspans, 40 times, or notable
moments on these people. I'd also like to know which hand is their
dominant hand, and what they're favourite movie is.

Mike Miller

Mar 10, 2009, 10:57:57 AM3/10/09
Here is some informatin about Jared "No one can spell my name right -
not even the UPA" Inselmann, I believe this conversation took place at
Metro East Regionals in 2003.

Player 1: Hey, do you guys know a guy named Jared Inselmann.

Player 2: Hell yeah, I know Jared! He's a big fella, goes about
6'2",
170.

Player 1: Best damned player on the East Coast!

Player 3: Did you guys hear about the time Jared took his team to San
Diego? I hear they were short a plane ticket so Jared carried his
co-captain Alan in his ass as a suppository for six hours.

Player 2: Alan said it was the roomiest, most comfortable flight he
had ever been on.

Player 1: Ben Wiggins has a summer home in Jared's groin!

Player 4: Hey are you guys talking about Jared Inselmann?

Together: Yeah!

Player 4: I know that guy, he's about 6'6", 260.

Player 2: Jared fathered the entire Carnegie Mellon ultimate team, and
he is disappointed
with all of them.

Player 4: I heard that before he started playing ultimate he used to
drive an ice cream truck covered in human skulls.

Player 3: I once saw Jared eat a whole live chicken!

Player 1: His blood type is thousand island salad dressing!

Player 2: Did I ever tell you about the time that Jared punched one
of
his own teammates in the balls? Well, he videotaped it himself, and
last I heard it did quite well at Sundance.

Player 3: It barely lost to Smoke Signals!

Player 4: Jared was the one that named the Berkeley team Ugmo! they
did not want to be called that

Player 1: I read that Jared just keeps getting bigger; last I heard
he
was up to 7'11", 375.

Player 3: Jared wrote and directed the entire I Bleed Black
documentary! and then he sold the rights for scotch!

Player 1: His mark is so tight he once impregnated an opponent while
playing coed.

Player 2: I heard about that, she gave birth 9 months later to a
delicious 18-ounce steak. The afterbirth was sautéed mushrooms!

Player 4: His favorite movie is Maria Carey's Glitter!

Player 3: He framed Roger Rabbit

Player 1: I hear that if you listen to him closely while he sleeps
you
can hear him snoring Beethoven's fifth!

Player 5: You guys are talking about Jared Inselmann, right? From
Upenn? I hear that guy once used his own thigh as an anvil.

Player 2: It was the sight of Jared's caved in chest that drove Brian
Wilson insane

Player 5: I heard that he once breast-fed Crazy Frank for three
weeks.

Player 3: Yeah. He makes every woman that sleeps with him, refer to
him as "Bear Bryant"!!

Player 5: How big is that son of a bitch, cause I hear he goes about
9'2", 480.

Player 1: The truth is that Jared Inselmann is a 10-foot tall beast
man who showers in vodka and feeds his vegan girlfriend shrimp scampi
in her sleep.

Player 4: He's a two ton bastard who eats drywall and can take a
shotgun blast standing!

canadian

Mar 10, 2009, 12:06:02 PM3/10/09
How do they stack up against team Canada?

Team Canada:

Alex Hughes
Andy Ouchterlony
Derek Alexander
John Hassell
Kirk Savage
Oscar Pottinger
Sam Kennedy

Alex Snyder
Alyson Walker
Anne Mercier
Genevieve Dufresne
Kira Frew
Vicky Chow

Mimmo

Mar 10, 2009, 1:57:01 PM3/10/09
> receivers:
> kathy
> duffy
> cree
> alicia
> cate
> dylan
> beau
> jolian
> jared
>
> might play either position:
> gwen
> chelsea
> bart
> sam ck
> jon

I might move Jolian to the "might play either position"...position

Rob

Mar 10, 2009, 2:06:22 PM3/10/09
> Is Cree Howard the first active college player to be named to team
> USA?  That's a reasonably strong Callahan endorsement...

It is a strong Callahan endorsement for Cree but don't forget about
Anne Mercier of Ottawa / Team Canada. Although after watching Kyra
Frew come in second last year, I have to wonder about the psychology
of a Canadian taking home the Callahan award.

Rob

Matt.Pa...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2009, 2:16:11 PM3/10/09
>>Player 4: Jared was the one that named the Berkeley team Ugmo! they
did not want to be called that

This might be true, Jared spent a summer in Berkeley.

Mar 10, 2009, 2:23:57 PM3/10/09
I wonder if anybody could venture a guess as to who the final 13 will
be, or rather, who the unlucky 7 are? I guess we'll have more
information after they play their friendlies. Is there any word about
when/where/who on these? I remember last time there was a TeamUSA vs
Rockeye scrimmage, but don't recall much else. With the final team
announced late April/early May, these scrimmages must already be
scheduled, no?

Mar 10, 2009, 10:46:20 PM3/10/09
Bump. I'm actually interested, when/where/who are the friendlies?

bananawhama!

Mar 11, 2009, 12:49:11 AM3/11/09
> >  alternates.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I'm totally stoked about seeing who's going to make the final
cut.
Someone hung a poster in my office that I intern in Taipei that has a
prominent pic of Mike Namkung by the slogan "The World Will Be
Watching". Baller.

http://www.worldgames2009.tw/wg2009/eng/image/download/poster_a.pdf

b-whama!

p.s. not to get too political, but wtf is up with the upa calling it
Kaohsiung, Chinese Taipei? The country is not called Chinese Taipei,
dammit, its Taiwan. Yeah, the taiwanese team has to go by Chinese
Taipei, but that's only because of pressure from China. The upa
doesn't have to give a fuck about "hurting the feelings of China." So
lame.

TK

Mar 11, 2009, 1:06:30 AM3/11/09
It's the "compromise solution" for people that don't want to inflame
either side. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Taipei#Translation_compromise

Douglas T Lilley

Mar 11, 2009, 1:32:06 AM3/11/09

Not sure how intentional it was/is but I think it's a great idea when
electing national all star teams to have a couple of players who have
played together on the same clubs previously-obviously not that easy
to do and egregiously un pc blah blah woof woof etc but still a good
idea if you actually want to win the thing while playing against
furriners who have most likely spent a bunch of time playing together
in the past.

celebrat...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2009, 1:43:38 AM3/11/09
On Mar 10, 10:49 pm, "bananawhama!" <brmercada...@davidson.edu> wrote:

> p.s. not to get too political, but wtf is up with the upa calling it
> Kaohsiung, Chinese Taipei? The country is not called Chinese Taipei,
> dammit, its Taiwan. Yeah, the taiwanese team has to go by Chinese
> Taipei, but that's only because of pressure from China. The upa
> doesn't have to give a fuck about "hurting the feelings of China." So
> lame.

I hope you didn't post this from China. If so, getting banned by
Google will be the least of your worries.

Adam Tarr

Mar 11, 2009, 10:41:48 AM3/11/09
On Mar 10, 11:32 pm, Douglas T Lilley <q3j...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Not sure how intentional it was/is but I think it's a great idea when
> electing national all star teams to have a couple of players who have
> played together on the same clubs previously-obviously not that easy
> to do and egregiously un pc blah blah woof woof etc but still a good
> idea if you actually want to win the thing while playing against
> furriners who have most likely spent a bunch of time playing together
> in the past.

Not just club teammates... three players on the team learned the game
together and played on the same high school team.

Adam Tarr

Mar 11, 2009, 10:47:17 AM3/11/09

Alex Snyder won. Granted, she was playing for a U.S. team, but she's
a Canuck nonetheless.

I don't think it was anything more complicated than people not knowing
Kira well enough. With all due respect to Courtney Kiesow (which is
plenty of respect), a bunch of voters probably wanted that vote back
after the finals.

Mar 11, 2009, 11:46:21 AM3/11/09

And two more were neighbors growing up.

Rob

Mar 11, 2009, 12:06:45 PM3/11/09
> Alex Snyder won.  Granted, she was playing for a U.S. team, but she's
> a Canuck nonetheless.
>
> I don't think it was anything more complicated than people not knowing
> Kira well enough.  With all due respect to Courtney Kiesow (which is
> plenty of respect), a bunch of voters probably wanted that vote back
> after the finals.

Touche Adam, I forgot about Alex.

Cree is a great player and I've had the opportunity to see a lot of
her playing with Fury. She'd make a great Callahan candidate. Anne
Mercier and Tori Heslop are the best Canadian candidates this year. UV
will have a camera at Women's Centex so hopefully we'll get some great
footage of these 3 ladies plus a few other Callahan nominees.

Rob

Allen Jarvis

Mar 12, 2009, 11:10:57 PM3/12/09

Speaking of high school teams, Paideia has 3 on this roster... no
wonder that Paideia 01/02 team was so sick.

Adam Tarr

Mar 13, 2009, 12:29:04 PM3/13/09
On Mar 12, 9:10 pm, Allen Jarvis <allencalebjar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Speaking of high school teams, Paideia has 3 on this roster... no
> wonder that Paideia 01/02 team was so sick.

Paideia '02 actually didn't have Chicken. Somehow, they were still
good with "only" Dylan and Jolian.