National Ultimate Media Panels Rankings #2-Mens Div

Mike Gerics

Jan 30, 2008, 7:46:42 AM1/30/08
Below you will find the second Mens Division poll of the 2008 College Season
from the National Ultimate Media Panel.
I didn't send out a Friday afternoon reminder, which i believe accounts for
the lower voting turnout. The PreSeason Rankings included 20 mens voters,
and this week, only 12.

Items to note.....
Two weeks ago, Wisc earned 19 first place votes, giving up only one to
Carleton. Carleton this week, earned two votes for first place.

Georgia dropped from 5th to 13th place....

San Diego, with their big weekend at the little 6 team tournament out west,
rose from 25 to #9 this week....
Williams had a good showing out there too right?...they jumped from an
honorable mention, to #25 in the rankings.

Rank Team / #1 Votes Pts
5 UC Santa Barbara 214
8 North Carolina 190
9 UC San Diego 164
11 Wisconsin Whitewater 141
12 Cal Berkeley 138
16 Georgia Tech 107
17 Ohio State 92
18 UC Santa Cruz 92
19 Illinois 89
20 UBC 81
21 NC State 59
22 Brown 57
23 Minnesota 51
24 UNC Wilmington 50
25 Williams 48

Other teams earning votes include....
Las Positas 28, Central Florida 27, Delaware 26, Harvard 23 and Arizona 15

comments?

airma...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2008, 9:43:41 AM1/30/08
Georgia got mugged.

Tide #5 after losing to UCSD twice at home? i will concede that TiV
results can/should be much more representative. Hopefully the scores
are in bracket form like 2006 (that tourney paged took like 9 mouse
scrolls to get through) instead of all those single game results last
year.

Match
matchdiesel.blogspot.com

Lord RSDH

Jan 30, 2008, 9:49:56 AM1/30/08

Georgia also lost at CCCs to Richmond, a team that didn't win a SINGLE
game at regionals last year. Frankly, I was surprise to see them
ranked so high to begin with. Go NUMP!

mile...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2008, 2:04:09 PM1/30/08

Yeah, but Georgia also took Florida to 15-13 in the final of the
Winter Classic, and beat Ga. Tech. They'll be heard from later in the
season.

-Yugo

Lord RSDH

Jan 30, 2008, 8:56:20 PM1/30/08
man, I've almost beat a lot of teams too.... never really dwelled on
what could have been. I prefer to look at what WAS and IS.

Go look at RRI if you're into "almosts" and "what ifs". Forget how
many points you score, it just matters you play good teams...WHAT?!
Worthless. GO NUMP!

> Yeah, but Georgia also took Florida to 15-13 in the final of the
> Winter Classic, and beat Ga. Tech.

man, I've almost beat a lot of teams too.... never really dwelled on
what could have been. I prefer to look at what WAS and IS.

Go look at RRI if you're into "almosts" and "what ifs". Forget how
many points you score, it just matters you play good teams...WHAT?!
Worthless. GO NUMP!

It's news to me that Ga. Tech was a team UGA had to brag about beating
to get their ranking higher...

Mike Gerics

Jan 30, 2008, 9:47:43 PM1/30/08
Go NUMP!
~~~~~~~~~~~

---i love it!!!!

jim

Jan 31, 2008, 8:24:18 AM1/31/08

I gotta say, that NUMP may be the worst acronym ever....it sucks just
sayin it and actually sounds dorky.

I know what it is short for, but where does the "Media" come
from....who is in the media, or who writes or broadcasts or prints and
in what outlet? And what Panel?

You would think the word College would be in the acronym.....like
NCAA.

Why not just call it the College Ultimate Poll or College Ultimate
Rankings.

Mike Gerics

Jan 31, 2008, 9:01:46 AM1/31/08
> I gotta say, that NUMP may be the worst acronym ever....it sucks just
> sayin it and actually sounds dorky.
>
> I know what it is short for, but where does the "Media" come
> from....who is in the media, or who writes or broadcasts or prints and
> in what outlet? And what Panel?
>
> You would think the word College would be in the acronym.....like
> NCAA.
>
> Why not just call it the College Ultimate Poll or College Ultimate
> Rankings.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---National....folks from across the country
---Ultimate....that's the sport that we play and are fans of
---Media....the media, for the most part, is rsd, which i have always
considered to be the ESPN news network of ultimate frisbee....this is where
most of the voters come from...and they are writers and commenters and
posters on this newsgroup media outlet
---Panel....the member voters, are on the Panel

could be UMP....but wanted it to be national.

you know....a National Panel of Sportswriters votes on ncaa
rankings.....right?
that's just like the NUMP....a national panel of sportswriters for ultimate.

why wouldn't it be called the College Ultimate Poll?....'cause then it'd be
something completely different.

does NUMP sound great......?
no.

Andy Dunn

Jan 31, 2008, 10:48:37 AM1/31/08
Go Blue

Hotpants

Jan 31, 2008, 12:11:54 PM1/31/08
I know everyone likes to grip about how underseeded their respective
teams are, but only one team from the south shows the bias and
unreliability of these polls. Texas at #15? Four quarters
appearances in five year is something very few programs can claim.
Not predicting how well they will do, but benefit of the doubt
deserves better than 15. You can just say "prove it on the field",
but polls like this and the upa college preview do effect seedings,
which do effect the outcome of tournaments. Anyone who's ever been a
7 or 8 seed at nationals with only two dominant teams knows what I'm
talking about. Both UNT and Texas state will finish the season on
this list; and given their perfomance last season in addition to their
respective pick ups, I don't understand why they don't start on it.

In short, this poll in it's current form tells the ultimate world
nothing about the college season they don't already know; which I
thought was it's purpose.

-jdo

Hazera 36

Feb 1, 2008, 10:16:24 AM2/1/08
You're not from Texas, are you?

I'd like Mike G to make a case for UNCW, and ECU now and have it mean
absolutly nothing.... kinda like what you just did...

>Texas at #15?

>Both UNT and Texas state will finish the season on
> this list;

wait... are you from Texas?

More importantly, if Nacho still played for Texas I might believe half
the garbage you're talking about.

Hotpants

Feb 1, 2008, 11:29:18 AM2/1/08
Haha, yea i used to go to Texas but I fail to understand how it
affects anything that was said. And I'm glad you like Nacho, he's a
cool guy.

Sunny Saini

Feb 1, 2008, 11:40:47 AM2/1/08
Disclaimer: First time I've done a quote break down, which is so
popular of RSDers. I once pledged I never would, somone please stop
this from getting to my brainstem.

> Texas at #15?  Four quarters
> appearances in five year is something very few programs can >claim.

This "lack of respect" could be due to a thought that being 8th at
natties doesn't exactly equal to being 8th in the country on a
strength scale. Some regions miss out on strong teams making the trip
that time around. Plus im shur harvard or some team from that region
may have been to natties more consistently than texas, what does that
amount to?

> You can just say "prove it on the field",

Yes, I can and continue to do so.

> but polls like this and the upa college preview do effect seedings,
> which do effect the outcome of tournaments.

Correct...I'd say the NUMP does a good job of gauging a nationwide
scale that applies to the pre-series tournaments/nationals, but not
really to regionals/sectionals.

> Anyone who's ever been a
> 7 or 8 seed at nationals with only two dominant teams knows >what I'm talking about.

That national tournament thing...from what i've heard and seen and
attempted. The point is to try and win the whole thing right? I hear
the prize is a PBR can shaped into your likeness.

> In short, this poll in it's current form tells the ultimate world
> nothing about the college season they don't already know; which I
> thought was it's purpose.

It's a poll...of people from across the country based on extensive
knowledge of these regions and, hopefully, str8 cold results. You
want to see something shocking? Wait for those upsets at natties (go
squids 05!). Or you can create your own countrywide Texas polling
institution, you can be sponsered by LoneStar, the national beer of
texas.

Love,
Nami

Mike Gerics

Feb 1, 2008, 3:25:07 PM2/1/08
I'd like Mike G to make a case for UNCW, and ECU now and have it mean
absolutly nothing.... kinda like what you just did...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---huh?

i don't.....what are you asking for???

Joa'quine (Joaq)

Feb 1, 2008, 3:50:58 PM2/1/08

Overrated: Georgia Tech, Illinois
Underrated: UBC, Arizona

Sc

Feb 1, 2008, 4:19:32 PM2/1/08
Nami,

Some interesting points, I have some counterpoints.

> This "lack of respect" could be due to a thought that being 8th at
> natties doesn't exactly equal to being 8th in the country on a
> strength scale.  Some regions miss out on strong teams making the trip
> that time around. Plus im shur harvard or some team from that region
> may have been to natties more consistently than texas, what does that
> amount to?

First off, I think what you mean to say is "fifth at nationals," since
there's no playoff to determine eighth place. It would probably be
unwarranted to assume that Texas was the bottom of the 5-8 group in
each of their four appearances. Regardless, there have been only a
handful of teams left out over the past few years who would have had a
legit shot at quarters or beyond. Florida 05, Carleton 06 and UCSB 07
come to mind. College Ultimate still doesn't have have the depth to
produce more than 1-2 of these per year.

> Yes, I can and continue to do so.

That's problematic with a very limited data set, isn't it? I think
you'll have better success with this argument later in the year.

> That national tournament thing...from what i've heard and seen and
> attempted.  The point is to try and win the whole thing right?  I hear
> the prize is a PBR can shaped into your likeness.

> Wait for those upsets at natties (go

> squids 05!).  Or you can create your own countrywide Texas polling
> institution, you can be sponsered by LoneStar, the national beer of
> texas.

Wait, so you're proud of your '05 semis appearance? I don't know why
you would be; you didn't win the whole thing, and that's what you play
for, right? Semis is a big deal. There's a lot more movement among
quarters teams that among semis teams from year to year, and offhand I
can only think of one team that won it all without first making a
semis appearance. Seeding at nationals has a huge effect on the
attainability of this goal. You of all people should know this,
considering that your D pool seeding opened the door for you to ruin
my dreams in quarters 05 :( I loved watching your team that year, but
if you had to defeat one of Brown or Colorado to advance to semis, I'm
not sure you would have made it.

I think Jdo's point is that seeding that disregards historical bias
when there are limited meaningful results from the current year will
end up have some negative effects. I feel the same way about Georgia
that I do about Texas in this poll. It's a little bit like picking the
Spurs to miss the playoffs because they lose 12 straight during the
regular season. You may be right, but it's probably not going to
happen.

KUBIAK!

Pron
Former Texas #15

Sunny Saini

Feb 4, 2008, 3:29:04 PM2/4/08
On Feb 1, 4:19 pm, Sc <dp.te...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nami,
>
> Some interesting points, I have some counterpoints.

sweet rsd debates, im in. (not bein sarcastic) (seriously not)