Humboldt Buds vs. "Rose" Buds

Mr. Maddog

Feb 12, 2008, 11:51:59 AM2/12/08
I play for Humboldt State, A respectably okay school with a long line
of halfway decent Ultimate many people know us as the Buds. However
another team has taken hold of our name and refuses to let go, the
cornell "rose"buds call themselves the buds as well. Now no
disrespect to a very good ultimate program and hell, cornell might be
the best jr. college in the US but WE ARE THE BUDS!!!! The Buds held
their first tuorny (coming back next year !!!) The Humbodt Harvest
in 1978 the year the rosebuds started. I would love some feed back
and your vote for who the REAL BUDS are. so far...
Humboldt Buds 1
cornell "rose"buds 0

thank you for your time sincerely,

below avereage ulaimate player
terrible person
and great heckler,
Mad to the Dog

Jack

Feb 12, 2008, 1:04:46 PM2/12/08

> below avereage ulaimate player
> terrible person
> TERRIBLE SPELLER

> and great heckler,
> Mad to the Dog

fixed

Eric Brach

Feb 12, 2008, 1:06:07 PM2/12/08
Sorry dork,

Cornell has been around since before Humboldt had a team. Not to
mention, they've been the buds since 1973, 5 whole years before the
Humboldt team and "tuorny" were even an inkling in a west-coast
stoner's eye.

Not to mention, they've made it to quarters and higher at nationals
many times, and your team, sadly, has not.

So when you say that "some other school has taken over the Buds name
and refuses to let go," you're really just talking about yourself.
Try to educate yourself before opening your face next time, rookie.

Now get off the internet and go back to photoshopping your fake ID.

Handy

Feb 12, 2008, 1:07:05 PM2/12/08

Mad Dog, I am not a Cornell student, I don't even like their team as
they usually choose to study rather than party at tournaments (not you
Churchmouse, I know how you used to roll). Boo hiss to that.
However, I also have spent some time at Humboldt where you folks have
no such problems with studying instead of partying. So allow me to
comment on this one:

Cornell is not the "best jr. college in the US" it's actually an Ivy
League school. Their team is one of the oldest and, in the past, well
respected college teams in the nation, having started in 1973. In the
modern era of college ulti (since 1984 when the UPA started keeping
track) they've made nationals 13 times in 22 years and lost in the
finals in 1992. Have a looksee: http://upa.org/hallofchampions/college/openqualifiers
.

Now I know it has to be hard to focus, considering the Humboldt is the
official home of medical (and not-so-medical) Mary Jane, but try to
wrap your head around this all for a moment (maybe over some garlic
home fries at Big Blue?) And if you have any problems with any of
this just tell the cute girl who teaches the Latin dance class in the
evenings in the building next to your practice field. She won't be
sympathetic, but she is cute.

-Handy

Pearl...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2008, 1:17:51 PM2/12/08

Handy - 1
The other guy - 0

Winner by TKO. Handy. Well played sir.

TheWe...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2008, 1:56:06 PM2/12/08
There is one thing that the Humbolt Buds have going for them, that
many teams have forgotten about due to this "Ultimate Revolution," and
that is Spirit Of The Game. Regardless of wins, and going to
nationals, which really does motivate a lot of teams, the real Buds,
stay true to the roots of the game established by our Hippie Four
Fathers. Now I am sure that Cornell University is an established
program, but I am curious why would the program be named after a
Rosebud? If you are going to be called the "Buds," how do you
represent your name, by showering in Rosebuds? Wouldn't you be better
suited then as the Silly Nannies, or something along the lines of high
Class, high educated sissies? Or you could even name your ultimate
team as a variation of your school name (Hello Cornell Cornholes)
Humbolt University, located in Arcata is known on a global scale of
consistently having incredible Marijuana, Weed, Mary Jane, Homegrown,
Grass, Dope, The Shit, The Real Sticky Icky, and so on, but most
importantly Bud. That being the case, the Humbolt Ultimate team, is
known for smoking bud and playing fun ultimate, which is exactly what
a team named the "Buds" should stand for. If we all live life like
the Highlander, "There can be only one," there is no doubt in my mind
(as well as the inner stoner in every Ultimate player) that the
Humbolt University Ultimate team, is and should always be the only,
the real, the true Buds.

God Bless America,
Ted AKA JewClaw

rk

Feb 12, 2008, 2:56:45 PM2/12/08
Ted, not even the most stoned of Hippies has four fathers.

Fetch

Feb 12, 2008, 3:10:48 PM2/12/08
Humboldt comes from a greater region as well. I don't remember
Cornell being all that good, no offense to Cornell or that region.
Don't sell yourself short Mr. Maddog, you have a far more prestigious
history than Cornell in regards to Ultimate and fun. I mean does
anyone really care on the field whether you are from an Ivy League
school or not? Yeah maybe some state school can't spell, and yeah
maybe the timeline was a little off, however Buds wear their name with
pride and continue to wear their name long after they finish college.

Peace my fellow hippie friends,
Fetch

:-)

jacob...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2008, 4:26:46 PM2/12/08
Why don't the Buds settle this on the field?

Didn't the 2 "Wildcat" teams (Kentucky and Arizona) play in the NCAA
basketball finals back in the mid '90s?

NickR...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2008, 4:54:59 PM2/12/08
So as a Former BUD i would like to cast my vote and add that many
cornell players have requested to buy our stuff because our loge well
home do put this nicely, makes sense and kicks ass. I dont really
think i need to add to this argument as i feel "DA BUDS" are already
ahead, and fighting over the internet is like running in the special
olympics no matter who wins your still retarded. unless your fetch
who will always be cool no matter what he does. no matter how many
times i show up to a chico tournament and there are no cones or a td
in site. I am sure the buds would love to settle it on the feild as
was suggested so all that needs to be done is puck up cornell, move it
into the toughest region in college ultimate, and mens ultimate, ok we
will just say the toughest region in the world. Then you can try and
play with the big dawgs.

Nick

dsb

Feb 12, 2008, 4:58:08 PM2/12/08

I'd just like to say that this is a fantastic thread. You've got your
classic stoner reasoning, a condecending ivy league rebuttal, a
hilarious smack down (although I would think the "jr. college" bit was
some shit talk), a couple clever one liners and some more stoner
blathering. Can I give 5 stars to everyone?

What I don't understand is why the humboldt boys care that somebody
else has the same name.

jacob...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2008, 8:37:24 PM2/12/08
Am I the only former comic book nerd on rsd who used to read Power Man
and Iron Fist back in the 80's? Power Man AKA Lucas Cage, had to fight
another guy named Power Man to win the right to use the name.

dsb, your last post reveals how little you understand about identity,
masculinity, and Marvel comics. What if I started posting stuff on
rsd as "dsb?" Wouldn't that bother you?

Dana

Feb 12, 2008, 10:57:26 PM2/12/08
FYI-

The Cornell Buds did not originally base their name on a rosebud. The
Cornell Roses (women's team) came along and brought the flower
implication much later. Just to reinforce the point, our other men's
team's name is the Shake, which does follow the same theme as the
Buds.

Furthermore, I quote a former Cornell Bud...

"I've certainly heard that claim before... The really funny thing
about those young, west coast, Bud wannabees is that, yes, Humboldt
State University's team started in 1978. What they don't understand
is that their team was founded by Dave Claycomb. I started the "real"
Buds in 1973. Unfortunately for their claim and any argument that
they might like to put forth, Dave and I went to high school together
at the birthplace of Ultimate, Columbia High School, and Dave knows
quite definitely whose team came first. Original naming rights aside
(the Cornell Buds were first), I'm happy to share the name with the
Humboldt Buds, since I've heard nothing but nice things about their
team over the years, and Dave's a class guy. On a different slant,
I'd probably have to concede that their (lower-case) buds are probably
far superior to any New York State buds."

d von

Feb 12, 2008, 11:07:01 PM2/12/08
Dirt votes the real-est BUDS are from Humboldt St. no contest. Team
spirit is important and Humboldt has badass team spirit, not just the
corny kind. If every team took a page out of Humboldt's history book
college ultimate would be better off no doubt.

Cornell, come play in the west and then talk about it.

d von
DIRT Ultimate

tla...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2008, 2:05:12 AM2/13/08
Have you heard the Humboldt State chants? How do you make chants
about rosebuds?

Humboldt wins by their greens.

TLadd

danfri...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2008, 11:06:32 AM2/13/08

Let's please get off the "spirit" argument. They have a couple of
nice dudes, but overall their coed group has some of the weakest
spirit I've ever seen. I'm sure there are other reasons they feel
entitled to the BUDS name, but that isn't a good one.

max?

Feb 13, 2008, 11:36:39 AM2/13/08
On Feb 13, 11:06 am, "danfrisbee...@yahoo.com"

its clear that there must be a rosham. best of three, losing team must
replace the word 'buds' with 'suck' on any and all team merch. bottom
line
good luck cornell rosesuck

FrisbeeStan

Feb 13, 2008, 2:31:03 PM2/13/08
On Feb 12, 11:51 am, "Mr. Maddog" <jn...@humboldt.edu> wrote:
> I play for Humboldt State, A respectably okay school with a long line
> of halfway decent Ultimate many people know us as theBuds. However

> another team has taken hold of our name and refuses to let go, the
> cornell "rose"budscall themselves thebudsas well. Now no

> disrespect to a very good ultimate program and hell, cornell might be
> the best jr. college in the US but WE ARE THEBUDS!!!! TheBudsheld
> their first tuorny (coming back next year !!!) The Humbodt Harvest
> in 1978 the year the rosebuds started. I would love some feed back
> and your vote for who the REALBUDSare. so far...
> HumboldtBuds1
> cornell "rose"buds

It is absurd that this thread is still active...

Maddog

1) You tried to claim that your buds came first.

Cornell was first. Even the guy who founded your club knew it. You
were proven wrong.

2) You tried to claim that Humboldt Ultimate is historically more
competitive than Cornell

Cornell has been a dynastic ultimate powerhouse for 35 years, making
nationals before Humboldt Ultimate existed. You were proven wrong.

3) You tried to claim that the Cornell Buds are based on "Rose" Buds
instead of good ol' Mary Jane.

All "Four" of Cornell's "Four Fathers" were hippies and named the
Cornell Buds after MJ before anyone who has ever called themselves a
Humboldt Bud was in high school. Again, you were proven wrong.

4) You pulled some cheap shot at their college, which your limited and
confused mind for some reason has never heard of.

You then learned that Cornell is an Ivy League School on par with
Harvard, Princeton, and Yale. For the record, Cornell was the head of
the Mars rovers, has some of the best Biotech facilities in the world,
has an incredible law school, and is one of the best engineering
programs in the country. Don't worry, nobody expects you to
understand...

5) You tried to claim that you were better because your region is
tougher.

You have not made the semis of nationals, but cornell has. And they
didn't even have the good competition to practice against. Done.

6) Lastly, you tried to claim that you are more spirited because you
smoke more.

It is easy to see why you would use this argument as a last ditch
effort to save some of your pride. You talk up your spirit and your
cheers. Sure, they are good cheers. I bet you think you are really
cool. But OTHER ppl are saying you have BAD spirit. Also, nobody has
commented on Cornell's spirit, so even if there was any evidence that
you are more spirited than cornell, it doesnt make you more of a Bud
than the original Cornell Buds.

7) You and your teammates talk up Humboldt. Im sure everyone loves to
talk up their own school.

However, it is uncanny that all the neutral parties are defending
Cornell here. The defense of Cornell on this thread not by Cornell
Buds; it is by third parties who clearly know something about ultimate
and ultimate history. Please, Maddog and other Humboldt
leprechauns... You must stop embarrassing yourself...

arc...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2008, 2:52:50 PM2/13/08
umm....stupid thread.

arc...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2008, 2:53:55 PM2/13/08
solution: both teams, get more creative names.

benlw...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2008, 2:55:44 PM2/13/08
I don't know why we are arguing about this, there is a difference in
pronunciation that makes it obvious.

Jay Schulkin

Feb 13, 2008, 3:04:30 PM2/13/08
you suck