2008 CP Sectionals - Thoughts from one North Park player...

luketim...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2008, 11:04:51 PM4/20/08
This weekend was awesome and felt it was the best North Park
University has ever played. Formed back in 2003 by myself and another
senior we have always contended with other small D3 schools with less
than 2000 students and never made it out of our own section. This
year is different. With more than 10 seniors and 2 grad students, we
have a solid starting line and a host of fresh young legs. Though we
obviously began planning for a run at Sectionals since last fall, it
all didn't come together until this weekend.

For me personally, it was the convincing win over Indiana, the second
in our pool, on Saturday afternoon that got me believing that we could
actually take on the Golith of Illinois. Indiana was talented to be
sure, and proved themselves worthy of Regionals by bouncing back after
a nasty universe point loss this morning, but we wanted more. But
first, we had to get through a tough semi-final against a team we had
never beaten in the 5 years of our existence.

Sunday morning put us up against Notre Dame. They were the favorite
to be sure, and arguably a very, very talented and strong team. They
came out with efficient offense, but a small mistake on the first
point led to a NP break. It was all we needed to get the momentum
rolling. We would take the first half 8-5 (or 8-4, can't remember)
and not look back. We would trade points in the second half, but
despite a late break by the fighting Irish, we would topple a great
team 15-11. I was honestly in disbelief as we were finally playing
ultimate the way we knew how. Though ND for sure made some mistakes
they shouldn't have and got down on themselves mentally especially in
the second half, I know that our defense frustrated and had much to do
with the turns and our offense simply executed with perfection.

It wouldn't be until 1pm when we'd play in the finals. So we watched
our ladies do battle and then began warming up on the championship
field. Were we really here? I looked over at the Illinois team
warming up and thought, how could we compete against these guys. They
have dominated this season thus far with wins over teams like Oregon
and a universe point loss to Florida. They are ranked in the top 10,
be it RRI, but still arguably a national caliber team. It was David
vs Golith, and I was pumped. North Park was fired up and we came out
hard.

I don't remember much of the first half other than a lot of fast cuts
and movement that led to three huge breaks in our favor. I blinked
and the next moment we took half 8-6. Were we really this good? Yes
we were. The second half was much like Notre Dame where we traded
until getting another break and going up 13-9. Illinois would score
and get two huge breaks back and put the game within one 13-12. We
would score next and realize that winning was within grasp. All we
needed was a break. Illinois would deny though and bring it back to
14-13. Another O point and all we had to do was march it down the
field with the wind at our backs... But, no Illinois was too deep and
had been here too many times before. They were calmer and their
nerves much more attuned to the rigors of such a close game. They
would break and bring the game to 14-14. We would score next, but
Illinois would answer right back with half the effort. It was so much
harder to score now and Illinois was seeming to do it with ease.
Their huge lupa cuts were eating our guys legs up and having a much
smaller line of starters was wearing us thin. Now going up wind, we
would struggle on O and another crazy huck from me would be denied by
Illinois and seconds later they would have another break and be up
16-15. We would calm ourselves just enough to fight the disc back up
the field and force a double game point at 16-16. Illinois would work
the disc off the pull to half field on two or three short gains
underneath. We were not putting enough pressure on the handlers to
force the errant throw as we were in the beginning. Illinois was
crisp and fresh and looked as though they had the game in the bag.
Another lupa cut would be made and I would take away the inside, but a
small slip would give the space needed to go deep. Illinois would
send it to the endzone, but floaty enough for me to still have a
chance. Every ounce of energy I put into my steps and extended as far
as possible on my vertical bid. I got disc and hoped it was enough.
The disc wobbled toward the back of the endzone's grass, and mere
centimeters from the ground it would be caught... Illinois 17-16.

Best ultimate game of my life thus far.

And then, my worst would follow up at 3pm against Notre Dame...
1-15. Dejected and trying to find breath from our amazing
Championship game, we simply didn't have the depth to put it up
against Notre Dame again. They would take it to us strong and hard
and let up at no point. At 8-0, and three of our starters out with
injuries or too exhuasted to play, we elected to give our younger
players an opportunity to bring back some sense of self-respect to our
team and put at least one on the score board. Our seed at regionals
no longer mattered to us, as we were simply happy to go. We had a few
starters help, including myself, but shaking off the previous universe
point loss was too difficult to surmount. We would lose badly, and
Notre Dame deserves the two seed despite our taking it to them earlier
in the day. I must admit I do hate the format and feel it crazy to
have had 8 games in a weekend.

Thanks to the TDs for running the show on the weekend they weren't
even planning on. Congrats to Illinois, Notre Dame, Northwestern,
Chicago, and Indiana on their bids to Regionals. Next weekend should
be a fun one in Detroit. I hope we represent our section well.

-luke johnson
#21 - (white ego hat and white leggings)

adam wiseman

Apr 21, 2008, 9:15:04 AM4/21/08
dear diary

BHD

Apr 21, 2008, 12:46:52 PM4/21/08
awww, good for u

benlw...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2008, 1:18:26 PM4/21/08

Adam Wiseman wrote:
> dear diary

I had the same first reactions...but, Adam and BHD, you at least have
to agree, that was one of the best Ultimate reads you've seen in a
good long while. You were just like me...clicking furiously through to
see what happened. I'll admit it, I was convinced the it was either a
"North Park uber alles" or a "but we were stopped by the evil cheaters
in our glorious quest" kind of story. Then it had a real and kinda
poignant ending.

Don't be a hater. If you had to wait for someone objective to write up
every story, then you would be waiting instead of reading.

luketim...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2008, 1:27:38 PM4/21/08
Wiggins,
There have been only a few times in ultimate where I have felt the
respect from the dominate team was as good as I saw from Illinois, and
that was against your Sockeye boys in the first round at Nationals
this last fall against the underdog Rhino. You kicked our ass, but
you respected the hell out of our team in doing it (taking out the
small altercation between your brother and Richards). I saw the same
thing from Illinois and even more so from Notre Dame both times we
played them (especially the second time where they absolutely killed
us).

jath...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2008, 2:52:05 PM4/21/08
As a former CP sectionals player (Chicago) I loved this writeup. It's
great when players take the time to write stuff like this, and
especially when it's refreshingly free of arrogance, or accusations,
but instead clearly full of love for his own team, and respect for
others...

Congrats to North Park, I remember when you guys had just started your
program, not all that long ago. And congrats to Illinois, Notre Dame,
Northwestern (grrr), Chicago, and IU. Represent at regionals...

Jayadev
(UChicago JUNK 2001-2005)

Duchamanos

Apr 21, 2008, 5:04:34 PM4/21/08
I'm really happy to hear the North Park program has developed this
much. I saw them play fall '06 and it was clear that they were a
young and inexperienced group. They played respectfully, but they
just weren't very good. Now, about a year and a half later, they're
in the finals of Sectionals. Congrats and kick ass at Regionals.

kinsella

Apr 21, 2008, 5:19:23 PM4/21/08
Get over it nerd...

> Northwestern (grrr),

Gravy

Apr 21, 2008, 11:06:26 PM4/21/08
I saw North Park in their game against Indiana this weekend. I had
never seen them play before and was very impressed. I was not
surprised when they beat Notre Dame and almost pulled the upset in the
finals. Good luck at Regionals to all teams that made it.

Gravy

luketim...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2008, 12:39:25 AM4/22/08

thanks for the props. i know our boys are looking forward to their
first ride to regionals.

luketim...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2008, 11:29:51 AM4/22/08
The video from the final is fairly well taped, but as expected there
are some things missed and the sidelines get in the way a few
times... Regardless, here is the full game that runs just under
43minutes. Sorry that this isn't set to stream, but once downloaded
you should be able to use quicktime or itunes to play the video.

http://glossarchitecture.net/video/CPSectionalFinal08.mp4

(my server has been slow lately, so sorry for the speeds)