Terminus and Tornadoes

Zeke

Mar 15, 2008, 10:35:14 AM3/15/08
Does anyone have any information on Terminus? Is the tournament still
going on? Are all the ultimate players safe? Any of them displaced?
Post any information that you might have.

tki...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2008, 1:18:31 PM3/15/08

From talking to a women's player, at about noon, she was in a car,
waiting out a lightning sighting. There was little wind and slight
rain, and no injuries or real cause for alarm.

Sounds like they are far enough north to not have been really
affected.

Tyler

Keegan

Mar 15, 2008, 1:31:13 PM3/15/08

i just spoke to somoene playing and she told me she didnt see any
tornadoes but that they were instructed to leave the fields quickly
because they thought the tornadoes were coming in their direction. so
as far as i know.. all the teams have left and are hiding away from
the possible storm

Mar 15, 2008, 3:11:22 PM3/15/08

> i just spoke to somoene playing and she told me she didnt see any
> tornadoes but that they were instructed to leave the fields quickly
> because they thought the tornadoes were coming in their direction. so
> as far as i know.. all the teams have left and are hiding away from
> the possible storm

Radar indicated very serious storm cell right by the fields at 2:40pm.

Snow last week at Club Terminus, Tornado this week? What gives AFDC?!

Just talked to someone at the fields, games have been off since before
noon. Some hail, moderate wind, lots of water on the fields. They're
restarting play now, still in the first round...

Mike Gerics

Mar 15, 2008, 4:54:26 PM3/15/08

> Does anyone have any information on Terminus? Is the tournament still
> going on? Are all the ultimate players safe? Any of them displaced?
> Post any information that you might have.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---tornados don't last real long..........and they don't carry fields
away...........
hopefully everyone is safe.

Huck This

Mar 15, 2008, 5:44:23 PM3/15/08
Heard some news from the UW-Whitewater game vs NC State...game tied at
12's, then lightning/tornado delay. Most of UW-W goes back to the
hotel, a small group of 4 stays back to alert the rest. Games
resume...NC State makes UW-W play with 4 or forfeit because they will
not wait for UW-W to show up with the rest of the team. UW-W plays
with 4 and is actually receiving, but they can't punch it in 4 vs 7
and lose to NC State 13-12.

*I'm not sure if this was reality or something straight out of the
Onion, but this is what my sources in ATL state.

Muck

Mar 15, 2008, 6:34:21 PM3/15/08

Well ain't that bout a bitch...

It would have sucked to make it fair on universe.

(speaking off of speculation, of course... but hey, what else is RSD
for?)

Lucia...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2008, 6:53:34 PM3/15/08
Just got back to the hotel...our third game (4th round) got canceled
after 1 point because the owner of the Polo Fields closed them. It's
actually pretty nice outside, but the fields are a lake. It did make
for some entertaining layouts and fun times...before the games got
called that is.

WFU Women's Team

Mankind

Mar 15, 2008, 7:03:48 PM3/15/08
We were told to leave the fields because the Tornado was headed toward
Cummings. We were then called back by the TD even though from the
weather reports golf ball size+ hail and more potential tornados were
headed towards Cummings. On the drive back we saw some of the
craziest cloud formations I've ever seen. We arrive, its warm,
there's 1.5"+ of standing water on the fields, so we start to play.

About 30 minutes in a thunderstorm and pouring rain start. We go to
the cars, and are told that in 35 minutes we'll be starting again. We
proceed to finish that round and then are told the fields are closed
for today and tomorrow.

So unless they find back up fields tonight, the tournament is
cancelled.

BMaster

Mar 15, 2008, 7:04:07 PM3/15/08
On Mar 15, 4:44 pm, Huck This <DaPol...@aol.com> wrote:
> NC State makes UW-W play with 4 or forfeit because they will
> not wait for UW-W to show up with the rest of the team. UW-W plays
> with 4 and is actually receiving, but they can't punch it in 4 vs 7
> and lose to NC State 13-12.

NC State did not make anyone do anything as far as I know. It was my
impression that the TD wasn't going to wait for UWW guys to show up,
which is very understandable since there were other games that needed
to be played. UWW recieves, centers, and hucks to #10 with two NC
State guys having inside position. They get the D, and work slowly
down the field. They actually threw a hammer as UWW was trying a
slight zone. They score on an open pass and the teams shake hands on
very good terms.

The rain was very strong usually, and my teammate even picked up a
golf ball size piece of hail. The fields would have been destroyed if
the games have gone on. Terminus 2008 cancelled. This blows.

Georgia is reportedly trying to organize a small tournament in Athens
tomorrow. No details available.

My question is, who gets the championship discs?

tigerk...@hotmail.com

Mar 15, 2008, 7:12:03 PM3/15/08
On Mar 15, 6:53 pm, LuciaDe...@gmail.com wrote:

IMO is was a poorly handled situation with the storms. At about12:30
it started lightning and pouring didn't stop fully until 3ish. At this
point the fields, already wet from rain last night, were lakes. The
TD's told teams to go back to there current game and, if within 1 or
tied, finish at hard cap rules (add one to leader and play to that,
double-game point for tied). Many that I talked to felt that the day
should be called off, as an games played would rip the fields to
pieces, but the games were still on and everyone came back. During the
third round of play another storm came through and it rained again,
flooding the fields again. Yet one more time after the rain stopped
the teams were told to go back and play. Our team finished out the
game and were getting ready to play the game when the owner of the
fields evicted us from them; the entire tournament was told to pack up
and leave as the fields we no longer usable.

The TD's have said that they will look for back-up fields but also
said it was extremely unlikely that they would find any. At this point
Sunday will probably not be played, despite the complaints from
various teams. It should also be noted that Tufts only played one game
today.

Mike Gerics

Mar 15, 2008, 7:22:41 PM3/15/08
> Heard some news from the UW-Whitewater game vs NC State...game tied at
> 12's, then lightning/tornado delay. Most of UW-W goes back to the
> hotel, a small group of 4 stays back to alert the rest. Games
> resume...NC State makes UW-W play with 4 or forfeit because they will
> not wait for UW-W to show up with the rest of the team. UW-W plays
> with 4 and is actually receiving, but they can't punch it in 4 vs 7
> and lose to NC State 13-12.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

---hell yeah Wolfpack!

McCargo

Mar 15, 2008, 7:23:56 PM3/15/08

Yea... but the party is still on. Whirley Ball!!!!

We are looking into backup fields. Teddy will email the teams as soon
as we know something.

Huck This

Mar 15, 2008, 8:58:23 PM3/15/08
On Mar 15, 6:04 pm, BMaster <marcus...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mar 15, 4:44 pm, Huck This <DaPol...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > NC State makes UW-W play with 4 or forfeit because they will
> > not wait for UW-W to show up with the rest of the team. UW-W plays
> > with 4 and is actually receiving, but they can't punch it in 4 vs 7
> > and lose to NC State 13-12.
>
> NC State did not make anyone do anything as far as I know.  It was my
> impression that the TD wasn't going to wait for UWW guys to show up,
> which is very understandable since there were other games that needed
> to be played.  UWW recieves, centers, and hucks to #10 with two NC
> State guys having inside position.  They get the D, and work slowly
> down the field.  They actually threw a hammer as UWW was trying a
> slight zone.  They score on an open pass and the teams shake hands on
> very good terms.

Fair enough...I was just adding some spice to RSD. Schleicher should
have had it deep! It sounds like some very crappy luck down in Georgia
this weekend. It's too bad things ended up like they did for so many
teams that traveled far. My sources in Georgia are dumb, drunk or
stoned so that explains it.

Terminus TD

Mar 15, 2008, 9:11:38 PM3/15/08
Yeah, tornadoes and hail suck. They even had to relocate the SEC
Basketball Tournament when the roof of the Georgia Dome got a few
holes. Unfortunately, we don't have the resources of the SEC.

So AFDC-sponsored Terminus games are completely canceled for Sunday.
This is the first time we've ever been kicked off of the Polo Fields
(even with huge storms the night before at several events over the
past 10 years). Maybe we did push it a little bit, but I was trying
to keep things going for everyone. From what I hear, that final set
of storms were the last straw in terms of shutting down the fields.
Sorry to everyone who came down (or up or over).

Schleicher

Mar 15, 2008, 10:42:12 PM3/15/08
Before any rumors start spreading, here's the deal with the Whitewater
vs. NC State game.

Our team left the fields due to the severe weather and the possibility
of tornadoes. A group of us were taking cover at a place near the
fields. The rest of our team had been following the weather back at
the hotel. The local weatherman advised to take cover until further
notice. Knowing that there was a tornado warning and more storms to
come, those at the hotel were waiting for things to pass. We were
told by a girls team that the next round starts in 10 minutes. I
immediately called the rest of our team and told them to get to the
fields right away. When I showed up at the fields all the teams were
warming up. I spoke with some of the NC State players, an observer,
and the TD. The options given to the teams were to finish the point
at the end of the day or to play it right now as long as our next
opponents were fine with a delay.

NC State wanted to to finish it right away instead of at the end of
the day. Many teams around the nation would make the same decision.
We received playing 4 on 7, but were unable to pull it off. End of
story.

If you think about it, NC State put us in a interesting situation. If
we lose, no big deal because we only had 4 players. However, if we
win it goes down as one of the most epic finishes in AMERICAN
HISTORY. Huck This, I should have caught it....

Schleicher
UW-Whitewater

Manzell

Mar 16, 2008, 12:14:01 PM3/16/08

Where was the TD?
Why are the teams making competition decisions? They're as far from
objective as possible.

I call for a complete forfeit of NC State's season and barring from
sectionals for the next four years for the gross violation of Spirit
of the Game.

Garrett Dyer

Mar 16, 2008, 12:47:55 PM3/16/08
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 09:14:01 -0700 (PDT), Manzell
<man...@reaxion.org> wrote:

>I call for a complete forfeit of NC State's season and barring from
>sectionals for the next four years for the gross violation of Spirit
>of the Game.

This verdict just in: 1 year ban, retroactive to the 2007 Series.

Manzell

Mar 16, 2008, 6:44:34 PM3/16/08
On Mar 16, 9:47 am, Garrett Dyer <Shoot.the.p...@the.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 09:14:01 -0700 (PDT), Manzell
>
> <manz...@reaxion.org> wrote:
> >I call for a complete forfeit of NC State's season and barring from
> >sectionals for the next four years for the gross violation of Spirit
> >of the Game.
>
> This verdict just in: 1 year ban, retroactive to the 2007 Series.

they can still play in the Frankball Players Association Series
however, right?