UPA Response to Cultimate Conference 1 Announcement

George...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2008, 10:54:19 PM10/15/08
Dear GEORGE ,

As you may be aware, Cultimate has announced plans to run a
competitive college series (Conference 1) that will directly compete
with the UPA's College Championship Series in 2009. Based on the
information available to us, the plan appears to only directly involve
25 pre-selected men's teams. These teams have been or are going to be
invited to participate in Cultimate's event this week. We have
contacted those teams directly to ask that they hold off on making any
commitments until the UPA has had a chance to determine its response
and make that response known. We believe that their decision about
whether to participate will be very important, not just for them
individually, but for the entire College Division, the UPA as an
organization, and for the sport as a whole.

We also wanted to make sure you knew that the members of the UPA Board
of Directors and administrative staff are aware of this issue and are
taking it very seriously. We are currently discussing the best
approach for the UPA to take in response to this announcement. While
Cultimate did not discuss their plans with the UPA prior to
implementing this part of their project, the UPA plans to discuss with
Cultimate what kind of cooperation, if any, might be possible.
Certainly the best interests of the players, all college teams, and
the sport will be the primary focus of the UPA in those discussions.

Please stay tuned for more information from the UPA about this
situation in the next few days. Hope your fall season is going well.
If you have any specific questions or concerns, please feel free to
email a member of the UPA Board of Directors or staff (www.upa.org/upa/
contacts).

Mike Payne, President, UPA Board of Directors
Sandie Hammerly, Executive Director
Will Deaver, Championship Director
Peri Kurshan, Vice President, UPA Board of Directors