cal state pictures and results

Jay

Jun 4, 2006, 11:55:52 PM6/4/06
pictures from cal states? What were the results?

Charles Cheever

Jun 5, 2006, 2:18:50 AM6/5/06
results:
http://www4.upa.org/scores/tourn.cgi?div=127&id=2349

the split teams from sockeye and SF looked really good.
one sockeye team and one SF team were in each semi.

the sockeye team called snakes on a plane pulled away at the end of one
a little, closed it out on D, and the other was really a barnburner.
the SF team call regulators won 16-15 on a floaty throw that was an
inch away from being D-ed but then got chased down and laid out for by
bart watson.

nate castine made a totally insane grab laying out in the middle of a
bunch of people and almost breaking his neck.
snakes on a plane won, 15-13, i think.

so many good players for both sf and seattle. won't be easy for either
to make cuts.

i think brass monkey beat gendors in mixed, and i hear skyline lost to
someone by a lot in the women's final. probably fury.

moremail...@yahoo.com

Jun 5, 2006, 1:57:54 PM6/5/06

> nate castine made a totally insane grab laying out in the middle of a
> bunch of people and almost breaking his neck.

it was a crazy grab but to put it more accurately, he layed out INTO a
bunch of people. it was stupidly dangerous and while it was impressive
that he held onto the disc that doesn't justify the recklessness of the
play. the sf player he primarily slammed into, johnny zalisk, got
knocked out of the remainder of the game and was left with an ice bag
on the back of his leg (not sure if it was his knee or upper calf) held
on by an ace bandage. hopefully it's not a long-lasting injury. it
was fortunate that nate's neck (which i heard was snapped back off of
one of his own teammate's legs) wasn't broken, and that his teammate
wasn't injured either.

> snakes on a plane won, 15-13, i think.

i heard it was 15-14, but don't know for sure.

moremail...@yahoo.com

Jun 5, 2006, 2:06:09 PM6/5/06

according to the score reporter it was 15-13.

pgw

Jun 5, 2006, 2:08:47 PM6/5/06

When Jon first started moving after the collision I thought his knee
looked slightly deformed (bent sideways.) I was surprised to see him
walk away but I wouldn't be surprised if he's got a sprain or tear.
And still if that turns out to be the worst injury resulting from that
play there are a few people that can count themselves lucky. Gross,
gross catch - I immediately said "oh my goodness" very loudly - but I
don't think an offensive foul call would have been unwarranted because
yes, it was very dangerous. I hope Jon isn't seriously injured.

rollinnufffatter

Jun 5, 2006, 4:44:48 PM6/5/06

I am glad there are still swilly throwers in elite ultimate

Idris Nolan

Jun 5, 2006, 9:17:25 PM6/5/06
I heard Ryan Seguine got a little nervous about his spot on the team
when he saw that play.

I say you go with the veteran, after all...

1. MRI results are not yet known.
2. You don't get credit for that against a team full of try-outs,
because
3. Who's to say Zalisk would even make the team?

Oh wait, he's a captain.

What vision! Sign that kid up!

Ayron

Jun 6, 2006, 4:52:34 AM6/6/06
Ok sure, the play was dangerous and maybe a little wreckless but in
Nate's defense all he saw when he turned around was the disc, and his
defender about to get it. So as and ultimate player what's your first
instinct when you see that the disc is up? You catch that shit! Had he
known that there was a group of people surrounding the disc before he
layed-out for it I guarantee he would have let it go. I know it was not
his intention to cause harm to anyone or create such a dangerous
outcome. So I would think about that before anyone else decides that he
was just being stupidly dangerous.

pgw

Jun 6, 2006, 11:04:47 AM6/6/06
Of course he didn't mean to hurt anyone. I don't fault him too much
for making the play; split-second decisions that turn out to be poor
ones and cause injuries are unfortunately part of the game. If you
play long enough, you will end up on the giving or receiving end of one
of them.

placido

Jun 6, 2006, 1:08:45 PM6/6/06

Idris Nolan wrote:
> I heard Ryan Seguine got a little nervous about his spot on the team
> when he saw that play.
>
> I say you go with the veteran, after all...

I choked on my morning bagel when I read this - too damned funny!

Earmuffs

Jun 7, 2006, 2:36:12 AM6/7/06
This play just sounds ridiculous in many aspects...are there pictures
of it? When it happend and the aftermath....just sounds gnarly and
someone must have taken one...

-Shannon