2009 Callahan - Stephen Presley of Texas

dub dub

Apr 20, 2009, 2:45:33 PM4/20/09
We have all seen the cover of the most recent UPA mgazine and there is
a reason that #22 of TUFF is on the cover. After winning FOTY in 2005
he has continued to improve in both athleticism and skill, which is
impressive since his skill level is unmatched in the college scene.

I never had a chance to play college ultimate but living in Austin i
have had the chance to watch numerous college tournaments the past few
years. I decided to write this after watching his performance at the
recent college Centex. Even though Texas went 3-4, Stephen put forth
possibly the most dominating performance by an ultimate player i have
ever seen. Im not just speaking of solid wins against Kansas or UCSC,
but even in the close loss to Stanford and the loss to Colorado he was
far and away the most dominant player on the field. The game against
Colorado was awesome to watch, especially with Presley making multiple
sick D's even against players much taller and in better position.
Stephen was the deep and literally controlled an entire half of the
field on his own. These picture may help illustrate the point better:

http://spikingplastic.com/main.php?g2_itemId=690
http://spikingplastic.com/main.php?g2_itemId=757
http://spikingplastic.com/main.php?g2_itemId=760

And he did this point after point, since in important games he is not
allowed to leave the field.

Finally, last year we all learned the best and most dominant player
may not necessarily win the Callahan, since it is not an actual MVP
but also
"the Callahan trophy is
presented to the man and woman who combine superior athleticism with
outstanding sportsmanship, leadership and dedication to the sport of
ultimate".
- Superior athleticism: A huge, resounding CHECK

- Oustanding sportsmanship: anyone who has ever played aginst him (i
have had the chance when playing against DW in the club series) knows
this is a definate CHECK

- Leadership - Presley keeps himself and TUFF positive with their
heads held high, even after a close loss or a big one. Never speaks
negatively of anyone on his team, or on others. A rolemodel to any who
play ultimate. CHECK

- Dedication to the sport - Presley lives and breathes ultimate,
making the sport desireable not only for himself but those around him.
He has been involved in teaching ultimate to kids of all ages as well
as being accesible to help anyone who asks him about how to do any of
the numerous sick, impossible throws that he has. CHECK

It may be tough for people who play for other teams to not vote for
the friend/teammate for Callahan. It should be tough. It is the
ultimate sign of respect and appreciation one can give in college
ultimate to that one player that holds the team together and whom
everyone strives to be. But for those of you who have had the chance
to play with him, against him, or just seen him play, you know deep
down that the most deserving player in the country to win the 2009
Callahan is Stephen Presley of Texas.

3jane.

Apr 20, 2009, 3:05:49 PM4/20/09
On Apr 20, 2:45 pm, dub dub <williambwoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have all seen the cover of the most recent UPA mgazine and there is
> a reason that #22 of TUFF is on the cover. After winning FOTY in 2005
> he has continued to improve in both athleticism and skill, which is
> impressive since his skill level is unmatched in the college scene.
>
> I never had a chance to play college ultimate but living in Austin i
> have had the chance to watch numerous college tournaments the past few
> years. I decided to write this after watching his performance at the
> recent college Centex. Even though Texas went 3-4, Stephen put forth
> possibly the most dominating performance by an ultimate player i have
> ever seen. Im not just speaking of solid wins against Kansas or UCSC,
> but even in the close loss to Stanford and the loss to Colorado he was
> far and away the most dominant player on the field. The game against
> Colorado was awesome to watch, especially with Presley making multiple
> sick D's even against players much taller and in better position.
> Stephen was the deep and literally controlled an entire half of the
> field on his own. These picture may help illustrate the point better:
>
> http://spikingplastic.com/main.php?g2_itemId=690http://spikingplastic.com/main.php?g2_itemId=757http://spikingplastic.com/main.php?g2_itemId=760

Excellent statement of your case. The pictures make a big difference.

Mimmo

Apr 20, 2009, 3:05:51 PM4/20/09
On Apr 20, 11:45 am, dub dub <williambwoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have all seen the cover of the most recent UPA mgazine and there is
> a reason that #22 of TUFF is on the cover. After winning FOTY in 2005
> he has continued to improve in both athleticism and skill, which is
> impressive since his skill level is unmatched in the college scene.
>
> I never had a chance to play college ultimate but living in Austin i
> have had the chance to watch numerous college tournaments the past few
> years. I decided to write this after watching his performance at the
> recent college Centex. Even though Texas went 3-4, Stephen put forth
> possibly the most dominating performance by an ultimate player i have
> ever seen. Im not just speaking of solid wins against Kansas or UCSC,
> but even in the close loss to Stanford and the loss to Colorado he was
> far and away the most dominant player on the field. The game against
> Colorado was awesome to watch, especially with Presley making multiple
> sick D's even against players much taller and in better position.
> Stephen was the deep and literally controlled an entire half of the
> field on his own. These picture may help illustrate the point better:
>
> http://spikingplastic.com/main.php?g2_itemId=690http://spikingplastic.com/main.php?g2_itemId=757http://spikingplastic.com/main.php?g2_itemId=760

That first picture effect is pretty awesome

Message has been deleted

ncwo...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2009, 5:01:13 PM4/20/09
These look pretty good too:

http://spikingplastic.com/main.php?g2_itemId=796
http://spikingplastic.com/main.php?g2_itemId=712
http://spikingplastic.com/main.php?g2_itemId=709

There is no doubt Franchise is a serious contender for Callahan, and
rightfully should be. He has been incredible for 5 straight seasons.
But there are other outstanding players this year who have carried
their teams to new levels, helped reshape the culture of a very
historic program, or inspire every member of their team, while
garnering the respect of the opposition. The top Callahan nominees all
have reached that elite level by taking different paths to greatness.
I am sure that whoever wins the award this season, it certainly will
be well deserved.

Message has been deleted

Spike

Apr 20, 2009, 5:05:42 PM4/20/09
here's a link to the first shot, blown up.

http://spikingplastic.com/img/steviefull.jpg

someone should mention that this shot was taken while stevie was
playing Defense...

Kevin Kelly

Apr 20, 2009, 5:52:47 PM4/20/09

Not to get off topic about Stevie being a a very deserving callahan
candidate, but Spike... are you going to be taking photos at
Regionals?

-KK

Steven Darroh

Apr 21, 2009, 12:29:08 AM4/21/09
FINE FINE I'll repost the awesome original post I already started in a
different thread here.
____
So when I thought about whether or not Stephen Presley should win the
Callahan this year, I first looked at what the criteria were for a
Callahan winner:

2009 Callahan Award
The Callahan Award has been established to recognize the most
valuable
players in college ultimate. Each year the Callahan trophy is

presented to the man and woman who combine superior athleticism with
outstanding sportsmanship, leadership and dedication to the sport of
ultimate.

In the eyes of his or her peers, the Callahan winner is the
personification of the ideal ultimate player.

Superior athleticism: There are definitely some good Callahan
nominees, and I think it'd be a little brazen to immediately claim
Stevie's the best athlete there is. I will say, based on sheer
ability
alone, Presley is one of the top 3 players in the country. He's the
only one of the top 5 Callahan nominees from last year to return this
season, but it's possible the other 4 nominees were eclipsing their
schools' other great players. That said, Stevie has improved since
last season. Though his top speed might not be anything to write home
about, Stephen's the quickest person I've ever seen play ultimate.
His
first couple of steps are the reason his teammates don't have to
worry
about not having an option. His quickness also allows for his break-
mark throws because his pivots are simply too swift to keep up with.
The best markers shut off a max of two fakes. His hucks are great,
he's open whenever he wants, he doesn't get tired. Even at 5'9, he
still is a reliable deep threat. On defense, Stephen is like having
2
defenders because of how well he can poach while still cutting off
all
the angles to shut down his man. He is the only person at practice
that, when he guards me, I'm not even excited for the challenge
because I know what a unilateral struggle it will be. His quickness,
again, precipitates an awesome mark. So good, in fact, that when we
really need a player to shut down a thrower, we yell at him from the
sideline to "put on a 'Stevie' mark." Steve is fouled more often and
harder than any player I've watched, yet he continues to make plays
in
the midst of all of this. He plays the vast majority of our points in
big games, always being defended by the other teams' best defenders
and having to defend their best offenders, and somehow he still has
the capacity to be so catalytic. Both ways. I wish I could buy
whatever physical trait it is that allows him to play so hard without
ever seeming tired. It's every point. However, being one of the top 3
by ability in the country really is just one facet of what makes
Presley such a great ultimate player.

Sportsmanship: I can't say for sure, but I don't think Stephen
Presley
has ever made anything but a friend on the field. On the simple side
of things, he doesn't commit fouls intentionally, he doesn't contest
them unfairly, and he doesn't call them unjustly. He has a smile on
his face at just about all times. More subtly, he doesn't allow the
negative attitude of another to impact how he regards players.
Stephen
is very respectful of teammates and opponents alike, genuinely
wanting
everyone to just play fun ultimate and play their hardest. The most
upset I ever heard Stephen get with an opponent was due to a bad
call,
and through his frustration he merely said, "please take that call
back, dude." Everyone on the field had to laugh. Despite how stifling
his ability is, Presley's attitude is never anything but authentic
and
good-natured and even. He's fun, he's always nice, and yes ladies,
he's single.

Leadership: Captaining with Steve last year was quite probably the
best experience of my life. When we would get down, Stephen would
always know how to bring us back up. He didn't talk the most in the
huddle, but when he did, it commanded everyone's attention. While the
team might be dragging ass in conditioning, Presley would always lead
by example with his tireless work. Not only that, but he'd be the
only
one with enough grit to still be vocally motivating us throughout.
Seeing his unwavering devotion through the past several years, the
team can't help but be encouraged to do the same. As a teammate, he
is
never anything but supportive. No matter how many times someone
messes
up, Stephen's still there to make sure that they're not down on
themselves about what happened. He cultivates TUFF in every way he
can.

Dedication: Well, Stephen plays ultimate year-round between TUFF and
Doublewide. He could be a top player by only going to practice, but
instead he chooses to push his limits with throwing, lifting, and
conditioning on his off days. Presley gets better at ultimate
everyday. That's dedication to his goals. From a broader perspective,
Stephen has also worked a Summer camp for the last three years that
teaches kids from ages 5 to 17 years old how to play ultimate (in
addition to holding down a job outside of that). Having avoided the
spotlight for as long as he could, Stephen is not only dedicated to
getting better, he is eagerly dedicated to the team. He's never once
played to impress anyone, rather all he wants is that his team do
well. A completely selfless player, he dismisses any of his hype as
diminishing what the team has accomplished. P.S. Steve, don't be mad
please that I posted all this.

Freshman of the year in 2005 and an all-region player ever since,
Stephen has had an absolutely tremendous impact on Texas Ultimate.
Having graduated much talent through the past few years, he has
ensured that the team stay nationally competitive with his relentless
commitment to working at and enjoying ultimate. Steve makes everyone
around him better and honestly, his love for the game will continue
make TUFF better after he graduates. I regret that TUFF has had an
average season at best thus far, but that shouldn't take away from
Stevie's literally unmatched talent and sportsmanship. His passion is
undeniable, and his team-centered mindset is really refreshing in an
age of selfish or condescending superstars. Arguably the most
talented
player in the country, assuredly the best-spirited, there isn't a
more
ideal player to win the Callahan.
Darroh
TUFF

Steven Darroh

Apr 21, 2009, 12:29:46 AM4/21/09
Also, KK, there's a car coming up from Austin that we're trying to
coerce Spike into.

Jack

Apr 21, 2009, 12:32:10 AM4/21/09

Darroh, dub dub's post has pictures. Do you have any pictures you
could offer up? Because right now, your post is losing out big-time.

Steven Darroh

Apr 21, 2009, 1:41:42 AM4/21/09
Gotta give the people what they want...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37617269@N03/

I tried to keep it concise.

Skip Hobbie

Apr 29, 2009, 8:12:56 PM4/29/09
Here's an article I wrote for our local ultimate newsletter about
Stephen Presley after his UPA cover came out. Not written for the
Callahan discussion, but certainly applicable.

http://upla.austinultimate.org/april/franchise

DNoll

Apr 30, 2009, 2:44:54 PM4/30/09

Diesel's reasoning for endorsing Franchise are spot on:
http://matchdiesel.blogspot.com/2009/04/stephen-franchise-presley-for-callahan.html

Hope he wins.

bjorn

May 1, 2009, 9:53:34 AM5/1/09
> Diesel's reasoning for endorsing Franchise are spot on:http://matchdiesel.blogspot.com/2009/04/stephen-franchise-presley-for...
>
> Hope he wins.

Stevie Franchise for callahan!!

rp3

May 1, 2009, 11:52:53 AM5/1/09
Steve is a great player, no question.
Foster is a great player, no question.
Mac is a great player, no question.
Will Neff is a great player, no question.

There are a bunch of qualified candidates out there this year, and
it's a tough choice between them.

Some information that might be helpful to you as you make your
decision: http://www.magnumultimate.com/willneff

-Ryan Purcell
magnUM Alum and current Asst. Coach

Steven

May 1, 2009, 12:32:42 PM5/1/09
I played against Franchise for four years in college, twice being
beaten by his Texas teams in the regional semifinal. During that time
it could have been easy to resent the hype and success that surrounded
Tuff and Presley as we tried to claw our way onto the national scene,
but the class, poise, and skill that he led his team with only
garnered respect amongst me and my teammates. After graduating last
spring I had the pleasure of playing alongside Presley, and everything
that I had suspected proved to be more than true.

I voted for Franchise last year, and if I had a vote this year I would
spend it for him again. I hope he wins. He deserves it.

-Steven
Oklahoma

Pron

May 13, 2009, 1:14:47 PM5/13/09
A supporter of another candidate mentioned how their candidate has led
their team to success despite losing eight players from last year's
team. This intrigued me enough to do a little research.

In an interesting bit of symmetry, Steven Presley only RETURNED eight
other players from last year's team. Meaning he lost about fifteen
veterans. Some additional checking revealed that the 2008 team had
only returned nine players. Stevie has faced the loss of about two-
thirds of his roster each year -- thirty players over two years.

The first reason this is significant is because replacing thirty
players at Texas, or Kansas, or Illinois, or any number of other South
and Midwest schools, is worlds different than replacing those players
at a coastal school or one with a juniors pipeline.

In contrast to schools like Michigan, Colorado, Wisconsin, and
Carleton, there aren't any ultimate players with competitive high
school experience, let alone high-level experience on par with a
Padeia or Amherst, in Texas. It's difficult to overstate the impact
that just a handful of freshmen entering college with three to four
years' competitive experience can make. Other geographic areas enjoy
organized city leagues, plentiful pick-up games, and structured high
school teams which legitimize the sport for a percentage of potential
college players, even if they don't play prior to college.

The second reason this is significant is because continuity is the
hardest thing to maintain for developing programs. Stevie kept Texas
winning through a period of enormous transition and turnover. Some
history:

Texas had been to only two nationals in a decade before Stevie, in
2002 and 2003. After losing a solid core, 2004 Texas was unable to
maintain its newfound success and did not make nationals. Enter Steven
Presley. Five straight nationals appearances on five straight regional
championships. He has never lost a game at regionals.

How does a school become a Stanford or a Carleton? The pitfall for
most teams is continuity. You get a good group, they grow up as
players together, acheive success for a couple of years, and then
graduate. The program tails off and takes a few years to find its way
back.

All you need to solve this is a singular talent who dominates pretty
much from the beginning of a five-year career, and wills the team to
victory and consistency when it loses the majority of its players and
needs time to regrow a core of veterans. That's Stevie. He's a case
study in dynasty-building. It's no coincedence that Texas' long streak
of Nationals appearances corresponds exactly with the moment he set
foot on campus.

Here's another measure of Stevie's impact. In the last two years,
Texas has been in 15 games that went to double game point. In these
high-pressure situations, Stevie's young, rebuilding teams won 73%
percent of the time. Seven of these fifteen games were come-from-
behind wins. It's no coincedence that teams loaded with first-year
players -- players with no previous ultimate training -- were able to
assume a composure and will-to-win well beyond their experience.

That's just the effect that Stevie has. His superlative skillset is
almost icing on the cake. He's got the best breakmark throws in
college. He's got the surest hands I've ever seen. He's the most
driven, relentless, highest-intensity player I've ever seen. He's your
Callahan choice if you respect the ultimate competitor, the ultimate
team builder, the ultimate clutch player.

Daniel Poindexter
TUFF 2004-2007
Doublewide

piike...@gmail.com

May 13, 2009, 3:09:12 PM5/13/09
Stephen Presley is an incredible player to have succeeded the way he
has. I haven't seen enough of him to comment on all aspects of his
game, but there is one thing I would like to talk about.

Relative heights of some prominent callahan nominees

JO FO 6'2"
Tom James 6'
Mac Taylor6'3"
Will Neff 6'4"
Franchise 5'9"

I'm 5'5". Speaking from experience, it is INCREDIBLY difficult to
ovecome the disavantages of being a short player. Many people don't
realize the difficulties simply because they are not short, but I have
had ample time to think about it.

Being shorter, you have both shorter legs and shorter arms. Shorter
legs mean less stride length, making it hard to be as fast. Also, the
pivoting range a player has is greatly reduced, making throwing/
breaking more difficult in some ways. Also, shorter arms = less reach.
On any cut, a shorter player has to be farther in front of his/her
defender, simply because the you can't grab the disc as far away. This
is extremely frustrating- watching someone D the disc in front of you
when you have two steps on them and have laid out is a terrible
feeling.

In the air, being taller is always better than any advantage in
vertical jump. Reaching up an extra 2 inches is much easier than
jumping an extra two inches- gaining two inches on a vertical leap
takes something like 6-8 weeks of intense training. Reaching up for a
disc is also much quicker than jumping- jumping takes a good read and
preparation (crouching into jumping position) for the jump.

Say you are a 5'9" player going up against a 6'0" player. You are 3
inches shorter, so your shoulder is probably around that much lower.
Also, you have that much less wingspan, so already you are at 4.5 in
disadvantage on an high disc. So you have to read the disc, jump 4.5
inches more than your man and sky him to get the disc, which is hard
after sprinting deep to the disc and jostling for position.

The fact that Franchise does this ON A REGULAR BASIS and plays deep
for his team in the zone amazes me. The level of athleticism this
requires is incredible.

Franchise has to be consistantly amazing to succeed, and he succeeds
well enough to be considered among the elite of college ultimate.

Franchise has my vote. He is what I aspire to be as a player, and
anyone who can inspire people to improve their play as Franchise does
for me deserves the callahan.

-# 15 Grinnell

Dkuo