Joe Kershner for Callahan

JosephD...@gmail.com

May 1, 2008, 5:03:14 PM5/1/08
Let's start with the history. When I met Joe 4.5 years ago I could
barely throw a backhand but he was already a great ultimate player.
We were both starting out Freshman years at Arizona but he had already
led the UHS/Rincon high school team in it's first and only year of
existence to Junior Nationals (before it became easterns/westerns).
Unfortunately that year was not the
best for Sunburn. It was a year filled with internal strife and poor
results throughout the season with Sunburn finishing lower at
regionals than it had in years, a 4 way tie for ninth. Despite having
a team core of
primarily older more experience players (most of whom would graduate
that year) Joe was elected MVP for the season and there was no one
more deserving. The problems that affected the rest of the team just
didn't seem to be able to stop Joe from being great, he was just above
that.

He was unanimously elected captain as a sophomore, a position he would
hold for three years though he would willingly share it with a
co-captain for the second two. In that first year so much about the
team changed under Joe's leadership. He instilled two tenants which I
believe are the hallmarks of our team today; work ethic and
positivity. He was a natural leader and did above all else what all
great leaders do, he led by example. As hard as any of the rest of us
worked at practice, conditioning, or in our free time, Joe worked
harder. At practice when others would bicker and get down, Joe would
be building people up saying supportive things on the sideline
constantly.

Halfway through our third year coming off a strong Vegas tournament
(two years ago) Joe found himself hurt. He had serious problems in
his left knee that would leave him sidelined for the next year and a
half. As impressed as I always am with Joe's play nothing he has ever
done on the field has impressed me as much as how he conducted himself
in that year and a half. Whereas most people would have dramatically
lessened their commitment to the team to make time for other things,
Joe's commitment never faltered for a moment. In that time I think he
had the best practice attendance record of anyone on the team. He was
there to motivate, to teach, to provide support, to set up fields, to
do whatever he could to make this team better. He came to every
tournament and was the loudest one on the sideline always cheering,
always making sure everyone on the sideline was helping those on the
field. He never felt sorry for himself or complained once.

Still those who knew him knew how hard it was for him to be there
watching
when he wanted so badly to play. You see, what you have to understand
is that Joe loves ultimate. In fact I don't think it is possible for
me to convey how much he loves it. It is the focus of his life. The
guy literally has 'PLAY ULTIMATE' tattooed on his right calf. Still,
despite how hard it was for him he was always there and in doing so
earned my enduring respect. As someone who has had his fair share of
injuries I said at the beginning of this season that I wanted nothing
more than one injury free season before I'm finished with college
ultimate. However I also said that Joe was the one person I would
give that up for if I had the chance. I know that as much as I want
it, or think I deserve it, I know he wants it more and deserves it
more.

Finally this year he is back and playing at top form again. He is
once again the heart and soul of the team and his contributions on the
field are unmathced. He has as good and consistent of throws,
whether breaks, hucks, or inverts as anyone I've seen in the college
scene. This season has seen many zones destroyed by his throws
alone. He
goes at a disc with unmatched intensity; he is the easiest player
throw to. Anyone who had the pleasure of seeing the final scores
at Vegas against Florida or Wisco showed that. He
is not particularly tall but as many teams can
attest he plays like most teams big men. I trust his decisions
completely, he takes risks, but he knows when to. For as good as he
is, he is a remarkably unselfish player. He plays a role like
everyone else, he makes his clearing cuts to make space, runs his dump
sets, pulls his defender and himself away when he needs to. He knows
he doesn't need to touch the disk every other throw to best help the
team. Like all great players he makes those around him better by
making the right decisions and doing the work all the time. His
defense is as good as his offense, despite being so injured so many
times he can and will throw absolutely enormous game changing layouts.
His shut down D is amazing. If there is someone on the other team
who absolutely cannot touch the disc, there is no one better than Joe.
He is the epitome of the complete player. There is no one in college
ultimate that I would trade for him. He is, in my opinion, the most
valuable player in the game right now.

Joseph 'Loppi' Kershner 77 of Arizona for Callahan

Joey
Arizona 27

some eye candy:

http://www.ultivillage.com/Ultimate-Frisbee-Videos/Clip-of-the-Day/Arizonas-Last-Point.html

http://www.ultivillage.com/Ultimate-Frisbee-Videos/Clip-of-the-Day/UV-Bonus-COTD---Joe-Kershner.html

http://www.ultivillage.com/Ultimate-Frisbee-Videos/Clip-of-the-Day/Arizona-vs-FL-final-pt.html

rch...@mail.usf.edu

May 1, 2008, 6:29:25 PM5/1/08
great post...hope u guys make it far at nationals

joe

May 1, 2008, 11:51:08 PM5/1/08
On May 1, 3:29 pm, rch...@mail.usf.edu wrote:
> great post...hope u guys make it far at nationals

i second that...one of the best if not the best callahan hype post
i've ever read

timmy....@gmail.com

May 2, 2008, 12:36:36 AM5/2/08

JosephD...@gmail.com

May 2, 2008, 1:55:10 AM5/2/08
> i second that...one of the best if not the best callahan hype post
> i've ever read

Thanks guys, glad you liked it.

backin...@gmail.com

May 2, 2008, 2:37:25 AM5/2/08
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/26177701@N07/2456491228/in/set-721576048...
>
> another view:
>
> http://scaughtyphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/4836404_oeXjE#28786935...
>
> or this:
>
> http://scaughtyphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/4836404_oeXjE#28787670...

> also,
>
> Whos that # 30 guy from CU? hes so big....
>
> Timmy Franco
>
> AF 76

Congrats, you found 1 picture of the guy getting skied. Effective
sample size.

Dan Smeltzer

May 2, 2008, 3:17:41 AM5/2/08

I am a player from the up and coming, and recently DQ'ed (which was
totally BS on the UPAs part) CSU Long Beach, which I am not here to
talk about.

Joe Kershner, or as we call him "Centaur," (because of a costume he
wore to UCI's Halloween Huckfest in the fall) I believe embodies not
only the athletic talent, competitive playmaking talent, but the
spirit of ultimate that truly makes the game great. I can echo Joey's
view that he is super committed, not only because of his tattoo, but I
remembered seeing him at past tournaments playing his didgeridoo on
the sideline, which he was quite good at as well.

Joe's white jersey is the dirtiest on his team, completely due to his
incredible flying layouts and bids. His grace when pivoting and
breaking marks is inspiring, our rookies & vets ooo and awe at his
flexibility and poise with the disc. But he isn't only a great
handler/thrower. He has great speed, timing, and awareness. He is
able to get serious air and be a threat deep. He has played in big
games and succeeded and Vegas/Regionals/Nationals was/will be a
testimony to that end. And I must say that Arizona doing so
incredibly well this year must be due to Joe's return from his
injuries. Though I don't know him personally, I do admire his genuine
love of the game, evident by the way he plays, how he interacts with
people, and how he has led his team. His sacrifices on the field are
nearly limitless. The one thing I've not seen him sacrifice in
watching him play at Vegas and at Regionals, is his adherence to the
spirit of the game.

Great post Joey, and good luck to all of Sunburn at Nationals!

Dan
#77 CSULB

JosephD...@gmail.com

May 2, 2008, 4:05:05 PM5/2/08
Bump

Jim Mallon

May 2, 2008, 6:20:21 PM5/2/08

timmy....@gmail.com

May 3, 2008, 2:14:56 AM5/3/08

sam.jo...@gmail.com

May 3, 2008, 3:20:51 AM5/3/08
What's your deal man, you just go around searching the internet for
pictures of guys you don't like getting skied. Maybe you should spend
more time figuring out how to get your team to win the 11th place game
at regionals (which you lost to powerhouse occidental) and less time
trying to rip on players who would make a joke out of you up and down
the field. I miss the air force that still had Dave. Now that guy
could play and he had class.

Jim Mallon

May 3, 2008, 10:51:10 AM5/3/08

JephB

May 3, 2008, 11:31:18 AM5/3/08
This Rando's post is a perfect reason for you to vote for Lop for MVP.
Loppi wouldn't care about people posting pictures of him getting skied
(I do applaud the effort though, it must have been hard to find them)
or people saying he was not good enough to get mentioned for this
award. He would just chill in Tucson, play some music and work harder
than whoever was hatin'. Good thing Joe is way to classy to post on
RSD about himself, or even read what others write; he would probably
tell me to keep quiet. Joe changed an entire program with his work
ethic, heart, and leadership. What have you done?

-Jeph

Ps Pretty sweet you guys got awarded an extra bid or else you would
have been pretty bored on regionals weekend: drinking with your
teammates talking about how “if you just had the chance…”

frank...@gmail.com

May 3, 2008, 12:01:31 PM5/3/08
On May 3, 10:51 am, Jim Mallon <El_Horn...@charter.net> wrote:
> On May 3, 12:20 am, sam.jones4...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > What's your deal man, you just go around searching the internet for
> > pictures of guys you don't like getting skied. Maybe you should spend
> > more time figuring out how to get your team to win the 11th place game
> > at regionals (which you lost to powerhouse occidental) and less time
> > trying to rip on players who would make a joke out of you up and down
> > the field. I miss the air force that still had Dave. Now that guy
> > could play and he had class.
>
> I don't really have a dog in this fight, but it should be noted that
> #77 can pull down the disc:
>
> http://scaughtyphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/4831755_sjVzH#28754303...
>
> http://scaughtyphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/4831755_sjVzH#28754139...
>
> http://scaughtyphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/4831755_sjVzH#28755223...

poor dustin... =/

Jim Mallon

May 3, 2008, 3:18:28 PM5/3/08

> since there is approximately a 0% chance anybody with a camera at a
> tournament would bother taking pictures of you.

Snap!

Jed

May 3, 2008, 3:38:55 PM5/3/08
On May 2, 6:20 pm, Jim Mallon <El_Horn...@charter.net> wrote:
> On May 2, 1:05 pm, JosephDShan...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Bump
>
> Would this be the dude?
>
> http://scaughtyphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/4831755_sjVzH#28755135...
>
> http://scaughtyphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/4831755_sjVzH#28755183...

Phenomenal pics. That first one might make the shortlist for best all
time.

RyanPS...@gmail.com

May 3, 2008, 7:03:02 PM5/3/08

Anybody else seen this NBA style video? It locked up my vote for
Kershner

http://scaughtyphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/4831755_sjVzH#256739142_5azZp

It's got something for everybody, even you Capt. America, but the last
look trumps all...

AFUltimate

May 8, 2008, 1:48:41 AM5/8/08
On May 3, 5:03 pm, "RyanPSchwa...@gmail.com" <RyanPSchwa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On May 3, 3:38 pm, Jed <jedhen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Would this be the dude?
>
> > >http://scaughtyphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/4831755_sjVzH#28755135...
>
> > >http://scaughtyphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/4831755_sjVzH#28755183...
>
> > Phenomenal pics. That first one might make the shortlist for best all
> > time.
>
> Anybody else seen this NBA style video? It locked up my vote for
> Kershner
>
> http://scaughtyphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/4831755_sjVzH#25673914...

> It's got something for everybody, even you Capt. America, but the last
> look trumps all...

Everyone,
This is Van, #18, the graduating captain of Air Force Ultimate. LEt
me assure you we have no #93 or timmy franco on our team. It is super
lame of whoever is posting the hatorade to use a fake name, and I have
already made sure that our team knows that. Sam, we all miss dave.
Jim and Daag, thank you for reminding me of that fact, we take our own
pictures. And Jeph, yes we were very grateful to COlorado College for
giving us the chance to spend the weekend in San Diego. I hope that
clears everything up.
John "Van" Wilder
# 18 Air Force Ultimate: Rule 76

AFUltimate

May 8, 2008, 1:53:52 AM5/8/08
On a side note...I was lucky enough to watch the regional finals, and
Joe was truly spectacular. Unfortunately I don't know enough to name
anyone a Callahan winner but watching Joe, Jolian, and Mac on the same
field was sweet.

Mark Ratkiller

May 8, 2008, 3:24:46 AM5/8/08

Damn. I think some people owe AF an apology. Way to pump up your
favorite Callahan nominee by being total dicks.

JosephD...@gmail.com

May 8, 2008, 4:56:48 AM5/8/08
Thanks John,

I don't think anyone actually on the Arizona team holds any malice
towards Air Force. They've were a class act back when they had Dave
(who incidentally is a straight baller) and are now as well. They are
a hardworking team that has to overcome a small enrollment, and
(assuming things are the same as they used to be) a schedule and a
college that makes it near impossible to assemble their entire team at
practices. Sorry for the shit talking that should never have never
been directed at one of the many quality, hardworking teams in the
SW.

Go ClariZonaForce (Hoasis '04),
Joey

sdiego...@yahoo.com

May 8, 2008, 10:47:19 AM5/8/08
"What's your deal man, you just go around searching the internet for
pictures of guys you don't like getting skied. Maybe you should
spend
more time figuring out how to get your team to win the 11th place
game
at regionals (which you lost to powerhouse occidental) and less time
trying to rip on players who would make a joke out of you up and down
the field. I miss the air force that still had Dave. Now that guy
could play and he had class."

Ah yes, Sam Jones repping that legendary AZ "spirit" again. Building
up his nominee by tearing someone else down. Keep it up lil Sammy,
you're just taking the shine off your golden god Kersh.

-alex

Daag Alemayehu

May 8, 2008, 11:37:34 AM5/8/08
On May 8, 3:24 am, Mark Ratkiller <mratkil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Damn.  I think some people owe AF an apology.  Way to pump up your
> favorite Callahan nominee by being total dicks.- Hide quoted text -

I tried to steer clear of pooping on Air Force because 1) it's not
nice and is besides the point, and 2) I didn't think there was
actually a Timmy Franco on AF. His posts reeked of fraud.

However, in case anyone construed my personal attack on "Timmy
Franco" (and I'll admit that it was an attack) as an attack on Air
Force, I apologize. Never was my intention.

BJ

May 8, 2008, 11:51:09 AM5/8/08

come on guys, the military never hurt anyone

Message has been deleted