Centex

thefan

Mar 24, 2008, 3:15:57 PM3/24/08
all season we wait for Centex and now that it's over and the top team
in the land didn't make it out of the quarters and carolina made the
finals, CUT doesn't make top 8 and Stanford doesn't make top 16.
Minnesota has an ultimate team? Oregon, Santa Barbara and Stanford go
0fer on saturday and there's not one post detailing the weather, the
wins, the new baddass on the block, the bad call that stole a game,
NOTHING.

what gives?

The Fan

degnan...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2008, 3:22:26 PM3/24/08

win...@ufl.edu

Mar 24, 2008, 3:47:59 PM3/24/08

Just wanted to say thank you to Skip and CUltimate for all the work
you guys have put into this reggular season, the series you guys put
on was amazing and as always the best run tournaments I have been to.
Great job guys, and thanks for the hard work,

Windham
Florida #17

thefan

Mar 24, 2008, 3:51:55 PM3/24/08

> Just wanted to say thank you to Skip and CUltimate for all the work
> you guys have put into this reggular season, the series you guys put
> on was amazing and as always the best run tournaments I have been to.
> Great job guys, and thanks for the hard work,
>
> Windham
> Florida #17

there are no ball massages on this post. you want to congratulate
TD"s for working their asses off and giving you a great weekend of
ultimate, hi jack someone elses post. if'n you ain't got no details
for me or directions on where to find em then you can take your
napsack and keep on thumbing.

The Fan

Baller

Mar 24, 2008, 4:26:00 PM3/24/08
Hot on Saturday, Windy on Sunday. Wisconsin ought to be ashamed of
the way they robbed a victory from Oregon with 3 straight up Horrible
foul calls in the end to steal points. Texas won 7 in a row to end up
with a 7-1 record (best 9th place team ever!). Florida looked like
they running an 8 or 9 man rotation on sunday. Michigan was down in
their semifinal game 10-12 in a game to 13, came back and tied it at
12-12, and then gave up an up-winder to lose it. The UBC guys all
rock the oversized basketball shorts.

swill...@yahoo.com

Mar 24, 2008, 5:00:00 PM3/24/08
" Wisconsin ought to be ashamed of the way they robbed a victory from
Oregon with 3 straight up Horrible foul calls in the end to steal
points."

At least they didn't cheat...

thefan

Mar 24, 2008, 5:02:54 PM3/24/08

o good here we are.

more, more, more.

The Fan

the sheep

Mar 24, 2008, 9:08:08 PM3/24/08
On Mar 24, 3:15 pm, thefan <jimmyholtz...@yahoo.com> wrote:

magnUm's success has to be linked the the addition of all star Andy
Dunn.

Mar 24, 2008, 10:13:23 PM3/24/08
Was it Centex last year that Oregon got a goal taken away vs Wisconsin
when the observer went to a camera for an inbounds/outofbounds call?

What were the calls? Was Rob (bless his Clip-of-the-Round heart)
filming?

russell

Mar 24, 2008, 11:32:26 PM3/24/08
That was Nats.

One of the calls is on UV's clip of the day recaps.

'sall I know.

Mike Gerics

Mar 25, 2008, 12:52:54 AM3/25/08
if it ain't one of them west coast teams......no one wants to talk about
it....

"thefan" <jimmyh...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Baller

Mar 25, 2008, 9:30:00 AM3/25/08
On Mar 24, 4:00 pm, swillaho...@yahoo.com wrote:

Call it what you want. I'll call it completely classless. For a team
that is known for physical play, those were some soft calls.

muffin

Mar 25, 2008, 12:31:21 PM3/25/08
> Call it what you want. I'll call it completely classless. For a team
> that is known for physical play, those were some soft calls.

http://www.ultivillage.com/Ultimate-Frisbee-Videos/Clip-of-the-Day/Centex-08-Rd-2-B.html
Muffin got clobbered pretty hard if you look at this clip. With a
hand on the disc in air, the defender hits Muffin so hard that he
changes direction in mid-air. The argument from Oregon was, "It's a
contact sport!" x3. That's not a soft call, I got nailed from the
blindside.

john....@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2008, 1:19:35 PM3/25/08
> http://www.ultivillage.com/Ultimate-Frisbee-Videos/Clip-of-the-Day/Ce...

> Muffin got clobbered pretty hard if you look at this clip. With a
> hand on the disc in air, the defender hits Muffin so hard that he
> changes direction in mid-air. The argument from Oregon was, "It's a
> contact sport!" x3. That's not a soft call, I got nailed from the
> blindside.

from what i can see, there was definitely contact. however;

Contact resulting from adjacent opposing players simultaneously vying
for the same unoccupied position, is not in itself a foul.
and
Some amount of incidental contact before, during, or immediately after
the attempt often is unavoidable and is not a foul

given these, how was this a foul?

Vuck

Mar 25, 2008, 1:59:40 PM3/25/08

> http://www.ultivillage.com/Ultimate-Frisbee-Videos/Clip-of-the-Day/Ce...

> Muffin got clobbered pretty hard if you look at this clip. With a
> hand on the disc in air, the defender hits Muffin so hard that he
> changes direction in mid-air. The argument from Oregon was, "It's a
> contact sport!" x3. That's not a soft call, I got nailed from the
> blindside.

If you are going to make a post about yourself at least use third or
first person consistently. Switch between the two is just silly.

thefan

Mar 25, 2008, 2:08:10 PM3/25/08

wait, wait. at nationals. a UPA game had a UPA observer go and look
at a UV camera for clarification on an in/out of bounds call?

what does it say in the UPA handbook about that?
was there a hood, or did he have to climb up on the stand?
was the camera positioned right on the line? that sounds dangerous.
what the hell was the observer doing to miss an in/out of bounds
call? does he really have any other jobs?
how long was play stopped for this check?
how many times are teams allowed to go to the camera for calls?
so, we won't incorporate refs, but we'll jump straight to instant
replay?

sure, i'm 10 months late on this, but that's only a fraction of the
things wrong with that.

sad sad mockery we make of the sport. or game, or whatever?

point me to the post where it's all cleared up.

The Fan

Joe Buck

Mar 25, 2008, 2:08:29 PM3/25/08
On Mar 25, 10:59 am, Vuck <busic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you are going to make a post about yourself at least use third or
> first person consistently. Switch between the two is just silly.

i know. sounds like it was a game between ego and superego.

DikEar

Mar 25, 2008, 2:28:05 PM3/25/08
My thoughts, since Richter won't reply to my email:

- Damn, it sure looked nice out. Grass and everything. It snowed 6
inches here last weekend.
- Ummm, there might have been some contact. Looks like Muffin's flight
changed slightly in the air. Could be the result of a torque or twist
in mid-air, reaching for the disc. Or slight contact.

Final analysis: Very underwhelmed by the contact. I wouldn't have made
that call.

-dik

colinm...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2008, 2:31:46 PM3/25/08

Because neither of those rules you cited means anything. The first
you site XVI.H.2, which one says that the contact is not in and of
itself a foul. Of course not. Counting the stall is not in and of
itself a fast count. But if you count too fast, it is. If the
contact meets the requirements of a foul (affecting the play,
initiated by player X, etc), then it is.

The second rule you cite is the latter and less helpful portion of
XVI.H.3.b)(1) which says that incidental contact is not a foul. That
isn't terribly helpful, given that a foul is defined as non-incidental
contact. Go around that loop a couple times and see if you can tease
out some meaning.

So, how could it be a foul, you ask...

The first half of XVI.H.3.b)(1) says:

"If a player contacts an opponent while the disc is in the air and
thereby interferes with that opponent's attempt to make a play on the
disc, that player has committed a receiving foul."

XVI.H.3.c)(2) says:

"A player may not take a position that is unavoidable by a moving
opponent when time, distance, and line of sight are considered. Non-
incidental contact resulting from taking such a position is a foul on
the blocking player."

II.F says:

"Foul: Non-incidental contact between opposing players (see II.H for a
definition of incidental contact). In general, the player initiating
the contact has committed the foul."

Watching the clip frame-by-frame confirms that the receiver got to the
disc first. He jumps first, gets up to the disc and collides with a
poacher who came running in from the side. The contact also looks
significant - not dangerous, but significant enough to easily affect
the play.

Question 1: Did the defender touch the disc, or did he just run in
and collide with the receiver?

If the latter, then I don't think we can really question the
receiver's determination that the contact affected his attempt to make
a play on the disc. Doesn't look like he touched it, but I can't
tell.

Question 2: When a receiver is moving and tracking a disc, as a
defender, do you take an avoidable position when you run in and
collide with him from the side?

Question 3: Who initiated the contact?

I lean towards saying the poacher coming in from the side initiated
the contact. At best, I think you say they were going for the same
spot.

So there's contact that affected the receiver's ability to make a play
on the disc - receiving foul. And the defender took an unavoidable
position, causing non-incidental contact - blocking foul.

In order to send the disc back, the defender needs to either:
(a) contest on the grounds that the receiver dropped the disc before
the contact, so the contact didn't affect the receiving attempt or
(b) call an offsetting blocking foul on the receiver for taking an
unavoidable position. It really looks like the defender could have
avoided the collision and it's not clear the contact affected the
defender's play.

receiver is really the only one who can have any idea to what extent
his play was affected - I certainly can't tell for sure on the video.
So you can say it's a bad call because he's a dirty cheater, but you
can't say he's a dirty cheater for making that call. If you say
either, you're probably wrong. If Oregon's argument was as muffin
indicated, then I hope Ego played some fun games during timeouts to
keep up their spirit rating, because that's one bogus argument.

nikegol...@yahoo.com

Mar 25, 2008, 2:34:49 PM3/25/08
On Mar 25, 12:31 pm, muffin <bjmale...@wisc.edu> wrote:
> > Call it what you want. I'll call it completely classless. For a team
> > that is known for physical play, those were some soft calls.
>
> http://www.ultivillage.com/Ultimate-Frisbee-Videos/Clip-of-the-Day/Ce...

> Muffin got clobbered pretty hard if you look at this clip. With a
> hand on the disc in air, the defender hits Muffin so hard that he
> changes direction in mid-air. The argument from Oregon was, "It's a
> contact sport!" x3. That's not a soft call, I got nailed from the
> blindside.

That was the pussiest call i saw the entire weekend at Centex. Mufifn
is just mad because he got bitched and he had to whatever it took to
try to win the game. Mufifn, you are a disgrace to the game and are
the reason why ultimate cannot progress as a sport. You are also the
reason why wisconsin has such a bad rep and loses so many games.
Karma caught up to you and thats why you lost to michigan. Not only
did you cheat to have to beat an 0-5 oregon team, i also watched the
last 3 points of the florida game vs. you guys, and watched you turn
the disc on double game point and once you realized that you sucked
and by no means belong on the ultimate field, you called a foul in
order to try to get the disc back. at least the observers were there
to help make sure that your cheating ass didn't get away with it. as
much as i hate florida and wanted them to lose, i hate you more and
all the bullshit you pull in every game. do us and your team a favor
and kill yourself. nobody likes you. seriously.

Joe Buck

Mar 25, 2008, 2:42:20 PM3/25/08
The most amazing thing about this, is that nikegolferx is a bench
player on the hodags.

rch...@mail.usf.edu

Mar 25, 2008, 4:07:12 PM3/25/08
I just want to know how the balls stanford went 0-5 in pool
play.....what happened to them

Rhett

Mar 25, 2008, 4:08:12 PM3/25/08
I am collateral damage... I read that post and it made me sad and
ashamed....

It has nothing to do with me, but I got caught in the blast...

I'M SORRY NIKEGOLFERX... I'M.... I'M SO SO SORRY!

clap anywayz

Mar 25, 2008, 4:17:53 PM3/25/08

Ok. Maybe there were a few very close calls that looked bad. But if
someone makes a call that they actually believe is right, then they
should make it. On none of the plays I saw in our game vs Oregon and
others did I feel confident enough to overrule my teammate's call
(which has been done before). It also makes me feel better knowing
someone from the UPA rules committee agreed that it wasn't a bad call
(above).

Maybe the calls looked pretty "pussy". Do you actually play the game
to avoid being seen as a pussy? I've made calls that crowds disliked,
when I was completely sure that I was fouled, and I don't regret the
"pussification" that may or may not have ensued. I've also NOT made
calls in front of large crowds that I should have.

However, what nobody ever hears on RSD these days is the kind of shit
that Muffin and other players on this team actually DO have to deal
with. Before the crowd arrived and the game came down to the wire,
one of Oregon's players (I won't name him because i greatly respect
oregon ego and their program) fouled Kevin Riley so consistently and
hard on the mark that we had to stop play like 5 times in a row. And
it only got slightly better as the game progressed.

Does anybody ever mention how Muffin got fouled on the mark 7-8
consecutive times in Vegas Semi's vs. Carleton? The observer had to
issue a TMF at that point just to keep the fouls from continuously
happening to him. People are constantly grabbing the frisbee in
Muffin's hands and slamming into him on the mark but does anyone ever
come on here to call them out? No.

Please send your personal attacks straight to muffin next time at
bjmalecek at wisc dot edu, and if you're lucky he'll dignify it with a
response.

Drew
21

Rhett

Mar 25, 2008, 4:25:03 PM3/25/08
if we send fanmail will he respond too?!?!?!?

ooooo i'm all giddy, i hope he likes my eGreetingCard.. it features a
teddy bear with a frisbee...CUUUUTTE

(please note: I'm not actually sending an eGreetingCard).

Hotpants

Mar 25, 2008, 4:51:51 PM3/25/08
> However, what nobody ever hears on RSD these days is the kind of shit
> that Muffin and other players on this team actually DO have to deal
> with.  Before the crowd arrived and the game came down to the wire,
> one of Oregon's players (I won't name him because i greatly respect
> oregon ego and their program) fouled Kevin Riley so consistently and
> hard on the mark that we had to stop play like 5 times in a row.  And
> it only got slightly better as the game progressed.

Haha, never thought I'd see the day a guy from Wisconsin complains
about being repeatedly fouled on the mark. To be fair the foul calls
were not horrible; but any call in a tight game is going get
scrutiny.

Colin

Mar 25, 2008, 7:49:48 PM3/25/08
If you ask nicely, Muffin will sign a muffin for you. Nothing is
better than a muffin signed "Muffin" sitting on the mantle above your
fireplace.

muffin

Mar 25, 2008, 9:23:04 PM3/25/08
> That was the pussiest call i saw the entire weekend at Centex. Mufifn
> is just mad because he got bitched and he had to whatever it took to
> try to win the game. Mufifn, you are a disgrace to the game and are
> the reason why ultimate cannot progress as a sport. You are also the
> reason why wisconsin has such a bad rep and loses so many games.
> Karma caught up to you and thats why you lost to michigan. Not only
> did you cheat to have to beat an 0-5 oregon team, i also watched the
> last 3 points of the florida game vs. you guys, and watched you turn
> the disc on double game point and once you realized that you sucked
> and by no means belong on the ultimate field, you called a foul in
> order to try to get the disc back. at least the observers were there
> to help make sure that your cheating ass didn't get away with it. as
> much as i hate florida and wanted them to lose, i hate you more and
> all the bullshit you pull in every game. do us and your team a favor
> and kill yourself. nobody likes you. seriously.

Hmmm, should Muffin even dignify this bullshit with a response? It
would be so much easier if Muffin knew what team you played on... He
could guess Ego, but calling yourself out to be 0-5 probably isn't
it. It could be North Texas again, but you guys turned down the bid.
Nike Golfer? Has to be from the south because it's way too cold to
play golf in the north. He also has to be "pussy" enough to make up a
new email address to send an anonymous hate rant over a public forum
because he is too scared to post from his normal email... Where do
haters come from again? Oh yeah, Santa Cruz.

Actually, this post is so absurd Muffin cannot even take it
seriously.
You win a national championship and everybody starts hating on you.

colinm...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2008, 9:37:48 PM3/25/08
On Mar 25, 10:17 pm, clap anywayz <ammahow...@wisc.edu> wrote:

> Does anybody ever mention how Muffin got fouled on the mark 7-8
> consecutive times in Vegas Semi's vs. Carleton? The observer had to
> issue a TMF at that point just to keep the fouls from continuously
> happening to him. People are constantly grabbing the frisbee in
> Muffin's hands and slamming into him on the mark but does anyone ever
> come on here to call them out? No.

Only one TMF issued for 7-8 hacks on the mark? 2-3 hacks on the same
thrower shows a pattern. That's good enough for a TMF. Next hack
gets another TMF. I bet Carleton wouldn't have been so eager to hack
the 5th-8th time if faced with a Misconduct Penalty for each hack.
The more freely observers issue TMFs, the cleaner the game will be and
the fewer stoppages of play will occur.

However, I do think RSD's a fine place to call someone out - just sign
your name at the bottom to give it some credibility. If a team/player
deserves a reputation for cheating, then let it be known.

MrP...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2008, 9:48:31 PM3/25/08
> i know. sounds like it was a game between ego and superego.

id would appear so.

Mr P

dar

Mar 26, 2008, 1:39:37 AM3/26/08
dar would like you to not talk in third person on his blog. feel free
to talk in third person on your blog.

dar.

On Mar 25, 10:31 am, muffin <bjmale...@wisc.edu> wrote:
> > Call it what you want.  I'll call it completely classless.  For a team
> > that is known for physical play, those were some soft calls.
>

> http://www.ultivillage.com/Ultimate-Frisbee-Videos/Clip-of-the-Day/Ce...

joshua...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2008, 8:40:45 AM3/26/08

Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast!

Muffin killed a guy. Did you throw a trident?

DikEar

Mar 26, 2008, 11:07:17 AM3/26/08
Mr. Nike Golf had to be joking right? It's either the worst diatribe
ever, or hilarious satire. I was sure it came out of the Hodag camp,
but Muff and the other guy's response seem to say no.

Wow. No one would be that big a pussy to post something like that and
not sign their name. That's worse than calling out a guy for spiking
anonymously.

I don't use the "P-word" lightly, I think it's ignorant. But I'm hard
pressed to find a better tag for that brand of cowardice.

On another front, I'm sick of Hodags saying people attack them because
"we won nationals". That has little to nothing to do with it. People
talk shit about you because - right or wrong - you play a contentious
form of frisbee. Sure your success draws a spotlight, and focuses that
light. And no one would care if you sucked, but that's not the root of
the problem.

-dikear

swill...@yahoo.com

Mar 26, 2008, 11:33:25 AM3/26/08
On Mar 26, 11:07 am, DikEar <dikinyer...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Mr. Nike Golf had to be joking right? It's either the worst diatribe
> ever, or hilarious satire. I was sure it came out of the Hodag camp,
> but Muff and the other guy's response seem to say no.
>
> Wow. No one would be that big a pussy to post something like that and
> not sign their name. That's worse than calling out a guy for spiking
> anonymously.
>
> I don't use the "P-word" lightly, I think it's ignorant. But I'm hard
> pressed to find a better tag for that brand of cowardice.
>
> On another front, I'm sick of Hodags saying people attack them because
> "we won nationals". That has little to nothing to do with it. People
> talk shit about you because - right or wrong - you play a contentious
> form of frisbee. Sure your success draws a spotlight, and focuses that
> light. And no one would care if you sucked, but that's not the root of
> the problem.
>
> -dikear

You mean....a contentious form of 'ultimate' that won nationals.

Questioning the fairness of play after the game (as opposed to before)
is a matter of the officiation. Call the foul, contest, and/or redo.
You know how the sport is played today. In short....calling a player
a cheater is like calling a ref a cheater.

And for the record...it was a guy spiking a disc on his laid out
defender, Dik.

=)

La Maldad

Mar 27, 2008, 4:46:19 AM3/27/08
On Mar 25, 11:34 am, nikegolferx...@yahoo.com wrote:

Wait, I am shocked, shocked that this was written by someone from
Florida. How does this make any sense? Why would someone on Florida
have the need to put Muffin down and disparage his character?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.disc/msg/f79251611787101a?dmode=source

http://samspade.org/whois/128.227.210.159

Hh

joshua...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2008, 9:01:41 AM3/27/08
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.disc/msg/f79251611787101a?dm...
>
> http://samspade.org/whois/128.227.210.159
>
> Hh

Haha... yes! The plot thickens. Perhaps all the beach running in
daisy dukes and homoerotic sparring have gotten to his head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgWP57cNNMM

Muffin, I'm surprised you had time to respond between sets of military
pressing handcarts filled with people. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNyLWFujxqk

DikEar

Mar 27, 2008, 1:08:03 PM3/27/08
Good work Det. Valdivia, McNulty would be proud.

I think there is a quick way to get to the bottom of this. Which
Florida player had the highest Madden rating for "Cowardly shit-
talking over the internet like a pussy".

Has Cyckale struck again?

-dik

colinm...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2008, 1:40:37 PM3/27/08

Perhaps in an attempt to transfer the "biggest cheater in college
ultimate" title onto new shoulders. Is there a maximum number of
years in a row you can win that award? I suppose if you go beyond 5,
you're extra-deserving.

Sc

Mar 27, 2008, 3:54:02 PM3/27/08
Damn you, Muffin.

I think I speak for most reasonable, non-Floridian players when I say
that your burgeoning likeability is completely UNSPIRITED.

Things used to be so easy. The sunglasses, the cornrows, the
occasional outbursts. I knew right away that you were fair game for
hate. No one likes a douchebag, Muffin, and moral superiority is so
very, very satisfying. Eveything was lining up perfectly. The Hodag
blog was another piece in the puzzle: you called out cheaters and
talked about destroying teams in grammatically dubious third-person.

Then it happened. The blog started getting more and more outlandish --
your teammates' nicknames became more and more exaggerated (Fat
Schlokke? That's good), the play descriptions even more strident.
There was unrest in the anti-Muffin community. Rumors.

Goddamn if you didn't start to refer to yourself as Morfin. Now there
was a definite, undeniable thread of self-awareness. Maybe even self-
parody. It was with creeping horror that I realized how you were
playing off of your own inflated pariacal image in the college
ultimate community. You can't hate someone who knows they're a cock,
and even worse, has the stones to be slyly humorous about it. All my
hate for JT evaporated after Dick in a Box, and NOW THIS?

I have no one left to hate. Damn you for having an eminently likeable
(although permanently injured) roommate. Damn your Horcruxes and their
unnatural powers. Damn your cornrows, for which I just can't muster
any serious distain. Sure, you still get pissed off on the field, but
even Dan May-The-Lord-Smile-Upon-His-Countenance Heijman does that
every once in a while. Damn you for your silly pantomimes and batting
your baby-blues next to your aforementioned likeable roommate in that
Hodag Love video.

GETTING BACK TO THE POINT, your likeability is a clear SPIRIT
VIOLATION. It's like... uh... Unbreakable without Mr. Glass. Who
exactly do you propose we ostracize NOW, you insensitive prick? See,
it's exactly this sort of selfish behavior that got you into this
situation in the first place. So KNOCK IT OFF.

cougaru...@yahoo.com

Mar 27, 2008, 4:57:37 PM3/27/08
On Mar 25, 8:23 pm, muffin <bjmale...@wisc.edu> wrote:
>> It could be North Texas again, but you guys turned down the bid.

Woot! Thanks for the shout-out Muff. Glad to know we're always in the
back of your brain :D

On a side note, telling someone you hate them on RSD and that they
should kill themselves is the most absurd thing I've ever read.

- Doc

northe...@gmail.com

May 15, 2008, 1:09:03 PM5/15/08
Hey Florida,

Now that we know nikegolferx is one of y'all, can you at least let the
fans know who we should heckle?

DikEar

May 15, 2008, 1:19:03 PM5/15/08
Someone check Kurt's gloves. Are they ... golf gloves?

-dik