Best All-Time Open Teams and Cities

Joe Seidler

Nov 2, 2008, 5:22:37 PM11/2/08
The best all-time Open teams as well as cities with best Open teams
have been updated for '08 nationals.
[note: These rankings are based on Joe Seidler's point scores and are
not associated with the UPA.]
http://www.ultimatehistory.com/book/nationalchampions/teamcitystats.html

- Jam rises to #8.
- SF Bay Area rises to tied for 2nd with Santa Barbara (and passes
NY).

(Sorry I haven't done this for the Women's division, but I just didn't
have the time.)

jacob

Nov 2, 2008, 5:34:53 PM11/2/08
Thanks, Joe.

I'm going to throw out there that women's goes: Boston, Bay Area,
Seattle, Santa Barbara. Too lazy to actually count it.

bah...@discnw.org

Nov 2, 2008, 9:47:48 PM11/2/08
Sockeye lost 3 times in finals, 95/6&7

Joe Seidler

Nov 2, 2008, 10:32:26 PM11/2/08

The teams are shown by "generation." So Sockeye is shown twice on the
list. Once for 2002-present and a second time for 1995-1997.

Joe Seidler

Nov 3, 2008, 3:34:35 AM11/3/08

With help from Jacob Sider, I have added the Women's Team and City
stats:
http://www.ultimatehistory.com/book/nationalchampions/teamcitystatswomen.html

Adam Dyer

Nov 3, 2008, 5:52:29 AM11/3/08
> stats:http://www.ultimatehistory.com/book/nationalchampions/teamcitystatswo...

Something looks wrong about the total for the Boston women. It says
there are 10 titles, but Godiva has 8, a team with any other title
would put it on that list right?

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt

Nov 3, 2008, 7:59:33 AM11/3/08
> stats:http://www.ultimatehistory.com/book/nationalchampions/teamcitystatswo...

Why does Godiva end in 2004? They made semi's last year.

sam th

homr...@homerbush.net

Nov 3, 2008, 9:01:13 AM11/3/08

Just looking over the cities list, why doesn't Toronto show up for
GOAT's semifinal appearance last year? Other cities are listed with
only 1 semifinal appearance.

Joe Seidler

Nov 3, 2008, 11:09:39 AM11/3/08

You have to look at all the Nationals finalists to see that there were
other Boston teams that came in 1st and 2nd:
http://www.ultimatehistory.com/book/nationalchampions/clubwomen.htm

But I did update the Godiva numbers by expanding their years to
1987-2004. I try to group teams by generation. That is, after 2004, I
think Godiva changed quite a bit. When a team doesn't at least make it
to the Semis for 2 years, I tend to start them over again as a new
version of the team. You'll notice on the men that the Condors and
Sockeye are shown as 2 different teams for different eras.

Joe Seidler

Nov 3, 2008, 11:11:52 AM11/3/08

I try to group teams by generation. That is, when a team doesn't at
least make it to the semis for 2 years, I tend to start them over
again as a new version of the team. I did that with the Condors and
Sockeye on the Open side. Perhaps I should use different years for
Godiva, and I'm open to suggestions?

Joe Seidler

Nov 3, 2008, 11:15:02 AM11/3/08

Good point. I think my list was too long anyway, so I removed all
cities with less than 2 points.

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt

Nov 3, 2008, 1:23:14 PM11/3/08

That seems pretty odd. By my count from the roster, Godiva 2008
shares 6 people with Godiva 2002 (whose roster I can find thanks to
your excellent website). Fury 2008 shares 9 or 10 people with Fury
2004 (roster from same), but they're pretty clearly a continuation of
the same team. Boston Ultimate last year had probably about as many
players from DoG as that, but they clearly weren't the same team. I
think it's better not to try to make distinctions that the teams don't
themselves make.

(NB: the Boston Red Sox, 2008 postseason roster shared just 4 players
with the 2004 postseason roster. But that's also clearly the same
era.)

sam th