LeBron James vs. Alex Nord

btm...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2008, 9:28:19 PM4/19/08
Standard Hypothetical Question:

If you had three full weeks (max 8 hours per day) to teach and train
LeBron James how to most effectively play ultimate, would you rather
have him or Alex Nord on your team?

How would you best use the three weeks?

-Palmer

Wagenwheel

Apr 19, 2008, 9:33:55 PM4/19/08

LeBron. You can't teach genes.

Jab...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2008, 9:36:08 PM4/19/08
are you kidding me?
LeBron would kill Alex without a question.
Alex is a good athlete for ultimate but LeBron is on another level.

Fish

Apr 19, 2008, 9:47:19 PM4/19/08
On Apr 19, 6:28 pm, btma...@gmail.com wrote:

this question is retarded, and so are you.

Canon

Apr 19, 2008, 9:58:13 PM4/19/08
Is this a joke?

schmidtacular

Apr 19, 2008, 10:03:58 PM4/19/08
On Apr 19, 9:58 pm, Canon <eht1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this a joke?

LeBron simply because he has a shit ton of cash. I don't care if he
would be good. We'd probably get free footwear from Nike and all the
Sprite we could drink. That's why I play ultimate anyway.

joad...@ec.rr.com

Apr 19, 2008, 10:06:40 PM4/19/08
On Apr 19, 9:28 pm, btma...@gmail.com wrote:

i'd take lebron with no weeks

Judd

Apr 19, 2008, 10:19:51 PM4/19/08
On Apr 19, 9:28 pm, btma...@gmail.com wrote:

Who is Alex Nord? I guess that kinda answers your question too...

Blaine

Apr 19, 2008, 10:35:10 PM4/19/08
I would take any professional basketball player versus any ultimate
frisbee player.

I might make an exception for centers...that would be a case by case
basis, Dwight Howard could play for my team any day.

Seppo

Apr 19, 2008, 11:10:35 PM4/19/08
Combine and Clone

-----------------------------

http://www.seattlesockeye.org/player_nord.html

+

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/lebron_james/

=

http://www.afda.com/nationalteams/PlayersOpen/playersOpenTom.htm

;)

====================
UltiTalk.Com
The Place To Talk Ultimate.
http://www.ultitalk.com
====================

Message has been deleted

Fish

Apr 20, 2008, 1:12:13 AM4/20/08
On Apr 19, 6:28 pm, btma...@gmail.com wrote:

just as a quick follow up...

alex nord could never EVER do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_eCOt5TKpI&feature=user

TheDangerousNacho

Apr 20, 2008, 3:21:39 AM4/20/08

No disrespect to LeBron here but that video basically showed someone
being fast and tall... it was a cool video but I don't see how that is
supposed to be such a difficult task.

And I'd play with Nord just cause he'd be a cool dude to chill with on
the sidelines, maybe LeBron cause that would be pretty sweet too.

annam...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2008, 3:31:22 AM4/20/08
On Apr 19, 10:12 pm, Fish <UltimateF...@gmail.com> wrote:

even if he did, we'd never have 3 camera angles of it.

Mike Gerics

Apr 20, 2008, 9:23:34 AM4/20/08
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---uhm....Why Alex Nord?...i'd take Rhett Russ over him....and then Rhett
over Lebron.

but if i were training Lebron for a couple of weeks......WUFF Camp.

Daag Alemayehu

Apr 20, 2008, 10:56:38 AM4/20/08
On Apr 20, 3:21 am, TheDangerousNacho <wc...@ups.edu> wrote:
> On Apr 19, 10:12 pm, Fish <UltimateF...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > alex nord could never EVER do this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_eCOt5TKpI&feature=user
>
> No disrespect to LeBron here but that video basically showed someone
> being fast and tall...

I think... that may be the point. Also, you forgot super strong.
Also, it amazes me how often this type of thread gets started.

Adam Tarr

Apr 20, 2008, 12:32:20 PM4/20/08

Actually, there are at least three angles of Nord's most famous play
(2001 college finals catch over Mark Driver). Only one video angle,
though.

rch...@mail.usf.edu

Apr 20, 2008, 12:45:12 PM4/20/08

where is the video

DJ

Apr 20, 2008, 12:56:43 PM4/20/08

I believe I have a copy of that video... don't exactly have access to
a tape player any more though...

swill...@yahoo.com

Apr 20, 2008, 1:53:31 PM4/20/08
On Apr 19, 6:28 pm, btma...@gmail.com wrote:

Obviously....Dischoops, LeBron. Ultimate, Nord.

In any case...
Week 1 - Observe LeBron during playoffs.
Week 2 - Observe Nord at Worlds.
Week 3 - Discuss observations at Paganello.

Manzell

Apr 20, 2008, 1:53:54 PM4/20/08
On Apr 19, 10:12 pm, Fish <UltimateF...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 19, 6:28 pm, btma...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Standard Hypothetical Question:
>
> > If you had three full weeks (max 8 hours per day) to teach and train
> > LeBron James how to most effectively play ultimate, would you rather
> > have him or Alex Nord on your team?

Here is the difference between Ultimate, and any of the major revenue
sports:

In order to make it into the NBA, you need to be supremely genetically
gifted. You need to be 6'3" or taller, more or less. You need to weigh
over 200 pounds of almost all muscle. You can't have bad ankles, or
knees, or back. You need to be coordinated enough to hit a shot while
a 250 pound man is pushing you.

Beyond that, you've got to practice 7 days a week for 5-10 years
before you get to the NBA. You need to be so good and skilled that you
can easily demolish NCAA-level competition.

Even then, you've got like a 25% chance of getting to the NBA.

If ultimate players went through that, I'd never take an NBA player
over an ultimate player. But until then, there are CBA/D-League scrubs
I'd take over ultimate players.

Geoff S.

Apr 20, 2008, 2:25:27 PM4/20/08

Alright, new question. Kobe Bryant signs up for your local summer
league. On his summer league application he rates himself (1 being the
lowest and 7 being the highest):

"1" on experince
"1" on disc skills
"6" on athletic ability (sandbagging son of a bitch)

He also mentions that he can only commit to 50% of all games and it is
more than likely that he'll miss the tournament.

You're sitting at the draft board with the number one pick because you
are the consensus worst ultimate player at the table. Do you pick Kobe
or the next best club player who still plays summer league?

Andrew

Apr 20, 2008, 4:07:31 PM4/20/08

Kobe can't read a disc. LeBron can't either.

Nord!

rufio

Apr 20, 2008, 5:09:09 PM4/20/08

> You're sitting at the draft board with the number one pick because you
> are the consensus worst ultimate player at the table. Do you pick Kobe
> or the next best club player who still plays summer league?

Depends on the club player, but probably the club player.

No tournament = No Kobe.

He'd probably ask to be traded anyway.

1LBJa...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2008, 7:06:34 PM4/20/08
On Apr 19, 9:28 pm, btma...@gmail.com wrote:
> Standard Hypothetical Question:
>
> If you had three full weeks (max 8 hours per day) to teach and train
> LeBron James how to most effectively play ultimate, would you rather
> have him or Alex Nord on your team?

Really???

You're all idiots.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OtQf9LuJcnQ

I suggest you all ask your referees if letting me play would even be
fair?
Just $$$$$ayin'

Head Beagle

Apr 20, 2008, 9:16:19 PM4/20/08
Answer to the question depends on the rest of the team.

Would I rather add Nord or Lebron to an elite level club team?? No
question, LeBron. You think Beau was dangerous because he was tall and
fast? If you have good throwers, no one could come close to stopping
lebron. Granted, he wouldn't have a GREAT read after only three weeks,
but since he hets about a foot and a half higher than everyone,
wouldn't matter.

However, if I have to pick one player to carry a mid-level team, I
pick Nord. Even as athletic and ridiculous as LeBron is, I would be
surprised if he could learn to huck on a mark, throw I/O breaks, or
get lay-out Ds like Nord in just three weeks. Maybe....I haven't
coached many pro athletes, but it seems that those sort of skills take
time and experience to build.

tebizzle

Apr 20, 2008, 9:28:42 PM4/20/08
What a fucking retarded conversation. Can we please talk about
something that actually matters?

Daag Alemayehu

Apr 21, 2008, 12:08:36 AM4/21/08
On Apr 20, 4:07 pm, Andrew <andrew.feier...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kobe can't read a disc. LeBron can't either.

Ignoring the obvious point of "Who cares??" how do you know? Have you
played with either one of them before?

BHD

Apr 21, 2008, 12:29:08 AM4/21/08
THIS is a stupid thread

bsla...@yahoo.com

Apr 21, 2008, 12:41:43 AM4/21/08

Exactly. Athleticism aside, there are many other ultimate-specific
skills which would take more than a few weeks to acquire, not to
mention field sense etc. However, I think I might go the opposite
direction of your conclusion. I think he'd do better in a lower-level,
less structured environment where athleticism is king.

If you're playing mid-to-upper level college competition (as a mid-to-
upper level college team yourself) there's going to be enough swill
and enough turnovers that LeBron could be an unstoppably gigantic
aerial force on O and D. But at elite levels of club, throws are more
precise and unforced turnovers are more costly. If somebody's been
playing for three weeks, they will have a few misreads, drops, and
throwing errors, especially against a top-notch mark. After 3 weeks,
I'd expect him to be pulling down the vast majority of 50-50 discs and
make some eye-poppingly athletic plays... but just because he's an
athlete doesn't mean he won't have an occasional case of the stupids.
Also, nothing in his athletic career has prepared him to deal with
weather conditions. Wind is irrelevant in his profession. He likely
hasn't worn cleats in years. Wet discs or fields could substantially
impact his game.

I don't think intensive one on one tutoring and a few team practices
would do enough to get him ready for Nationals in three weeks. If it's
the first week of October and I'm headed to Sarasota in 21 days, I
think I'd pick Alex Nord. Granted, if my entire team was available to
practice with him 8 hours a day, 21 days in a row... never mind,
that's even more farfetched than the rest of this.

Ben Slade
Clemson #14

AMM

Apr 21, 2008, 9:21:48 AM4/21/08
Lebron James hands down.

week 1 - befriending him
week 2 - convincing him to let me roll with this posse
week 3 - reading the disc

Baer

Apr 24, 2008, 10:21:46 AM4/24/08
On Apr 20, 12:53 pm, Manzell <manz...@reaxion.org> wrote:

> In order to make it into the NBA, you need to be supremely genetically
> gifted. You need to be 6'3" or taller, more or less. You need to weigh
> over 200 pounds of almost all muscle. You can't have bad ankles, or
> knees, or back. You need to be coordinated enough to hit a shot while
> a 250 pound man is pushing you.

Tell that to Allen Iverson (6', 160).

I'd probably take Iverson over any exisiting Ultimate player, too, to
be honest. Superior athleticism transfers to so many levels. Just
because these guys haven't read a disc or made cuts on an Ultimate
field doesn't mean they couldn't pick it up extremely quickly.
Professional athletes have more than the skills for their specific
sports, they also (usually) have ridiculous coordination, dexterity,
and reaction speed. Maybe their forehands would be a bit wobbly, but
I'd bet they could break a mark, read a floating disc, or make a catch
on any of us, with very little practice.

Adam Tarr

Apr 24, 2008, 11:07:07 AM4/24/08
On Apr 24, 8:21 am, Baer <collin.b...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Tell that to Allen Iverson (6', 160).

Dripping wet, in platform shoes.

This probably isn't true anymore, but for a long time I held that,
ignoring size as a factor, Iverson was the best overall athlete in the
world. His combination of quickness, coordination, stamina (routinely
leads the NBA in minutes), toughness, and speed is unreal. Yeah, he
could play for my team.

dusty

Apr 24, 2008, 11:13:52 AM4/24/08
On Apr 20, 9:28 pm, tebizzle <tebiz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What a fucking retarded conversation. Can we please talk about
> something that actually matters?

What... Like Frisbee????

Or... Paperwork related to Frisbee?
Or... Who's good at college Frisbee?
Or... Formats related to Frisbee?
Or... Predictions related to Frisbee?
Or... XXXXXXXXX related to Frisbee?

Wait... that last one...
Yes.
I think that one has a familiar ring...

music on tap: jerry garcia band, 2.28.80

dusty.rhodes
at gmail.com

Joe Buck

Apr 24, 2008, 11:47:32 AM4/24/08
The downside to AI is that you'd have to teach him how to play only
during games.
He doesn't go to practice.

jacob...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2008, 12:19:00 PM4/24/08
"What a fucking retarded conversation. Can we please talk about
something that actually matters?"

No, dude. This conversation is not retarded-you're retarded. Do you
really fail to see how important this issue is?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"If you had three full weeks (max 8 hours per day) to teach and train
LeBron James how to most effectively play ultimate, would you rather
have him or Alex Nord on your team?

Are we talking about a long term commitment by LeBron here? I'm
guessing that you are not, since Lebron staying with your team long
term would necessarily give him more than three weeks of training,
thus altering the terms of your hypothetical. If LeBron were
committing long term, I'd take him over Nord (Sorry, Alex. I know this
hurts, man, but my integrity on rsd is all I have).

If we are talking about choosing between LeBron and Nord for a single
tournament, with LeBron having only three weeks to prepare, that's
tougher, but LeBron is still the right choice. My college had a
Division 3 basketball team with a losing record, and they had a couple
of guys who were bigger, stronger, and faster than Beau (who, in my
opinion, is easily one of the top five athletes ever to play on an
elite Ultimate team).

"How would you best use the three weeks?"

1) Teaching the other guys how to play with LeBron's would be just as
important as teaching LeBron how to play. Your key deep receivers
would have to swallow their pride, and get used to just catching 20
yard gainers while their defenders poached off on LeBron. Your key
throwers would have to get used to hucking sooner and with greater
velocity, otherwise they would just under throw LeBron (although he'd
probably catch most of those under throws anyway).
2) Teach LeBron how to throw a dump. The earlier poster had a good
point about LeBron making more mistakes than Nord, but I'm pretty sure
LeBron can quickly learn how to consistently complete a dump.
3) Don't teach LeBron a flick. He could eventually have a great flick,
but a three week old flick is a recipe for turns, no matter how
talented the player. LeBron can dominate even if he is restricted to
short backhands ... and no, forcing him flick won't thwart this.
4) Be nice to LeBron. If he has a drop at practice, don't run up to
him and start screaming about how much he sucks. He deserves better.

MarkSh...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2008, 12:55:10 PM4/24/08

> If you're playing mid-to-upper level college competition (as a mid-to-
> upper level college team yourself) there's going to be enough swill
> and enough turnovers that LeBron could be an unstoppably gigantic
> aerial force on O and D. But at elite levels of club, throws are more
> precise and unforced turnovers are more costly. If somebody's been
> playing for three weeks, they will have a few misreads, drops, and
> throwing errors, especially against a top-notch mark. After 3 weeks,
> I'd expect him to be pulling down the vast majority of 50-50 discs and
> make some eye-poppingly athletic plays... but just because he's an
> athlete doesn't mean he won't have an occasional case of the stupids.
> Also, nothing in his athletic career has prepared him to deal with
> weather conditions. Wind is irrelevant in his profession. He likely
> hasn't worn cleats in years. Wet discs or fields could substantially
> impact his game.
>

> Ben Slade
> Clemson #14

LeBron was also an amazing wide receiver in high school football in
Ohio - one of the top states for that sort of thing. He quit to focus
on basketball and because the risk of serious injury is far greater in
football. If he wasn't in the NBA, he'd probably be in the NBA.
Drawing from this experience, I promise you he can go up to catch
tough passes in wind and on wet fields while wearing cleats.

Nothing in the athletic career of any Ultimate player has prepared
them for the combination of size, power, and speed that LeBron has. It
wouldn't matter if he had a few misreads - he'd probably catch the
disc anyways. You don't understand - LeBron is on a different level
than many people who get paid millions of dollars to play a sport and
who are in the top 1% of a sport that millions of people play. He is
the statistical outlier of an incredibly athletically gifted subset of
people. If he were playing Ultimate it would be a joke...

jacob...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2008, 1:34:17 PM4/24/08
I think Iverson led his Virginia high school team to a state
championship.

Byron Hicks

Apr 24, 2008, 2:26:12 PM4/24/08
I have seen reporters say that AI was the best high school QB they have ever
seen.

<jacob...@gmail.com> wrote in message

david

Apr 24, 2008, 3:10:32 PM4/24/08
i'd take jr smith over anybody.
popes

On Apr 24, 12:26 pm, "Byron Hicks" <bhick...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> I have seen reporters say that AI was the best high school QB they have ever
> seen.
>

> <jacobsi...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I think Iverson led his Virginia high school team to a state

> > championship.- Hide quoted text -

Daag Alemayehu

Apr 24, 2008, 3:59:20 PM4/24/08
On Apr 24, 2:26 pm, "Byron Hicks" <bhick...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> I have seen reporters say that AI was the best high school QB they have ever
> seen.

In college my friends and I used to marvel over the fact that the most
highly touted quarterback out of Newport News, VA went on to play in
the NBA. The other top QBs were Ronald Curry, Aaron Brooks, Michael
Vick, and Marcus Vick.

brody....@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2008, 11:04:51 AM4/29/08
1) i've seen lebron dunk on KG
2) i've seen KG dunk on josh wilhelm (tv commercial)
3) i've seen josh wilhelm sky alex nord (CUT practice 1999)

but the sprite and free shoes theory is much better for team moral.
even if lebron doesn't play, as long as he's on the sideline, i think
he makes any team stronger