NE REGIONALS OPEN? this wknd

voodoo

Oct 5, 2005, 1:45:25 PM10/5/05
Is this the last region to be played out? It seems like all others took
place last weekend? Is there any reason for this?
Regardless we are dying to know who the qualifiers from this
region will be. There are two open spots for 16 teams to fight over.
They missed the WIldcard spot making it a tight year for the numerous
contenders.
DOG, GOAT, PONY, Zebra M, Chuckwagon, Phoenix...I don't even know
who else is in this region....Brooklyn...oh Twisted...etc.
I had mentioned some very casual predictions earlier but ther has
got to be some comments from those in the know on who really is going
to finish out the 16 spots for nationals.
1)GOAT
2)DOG
3)PONY
4)Twisted
5)phoenix

Every other region has had tight battles and upsets. DO we expect the
same from this region? I say GOAT over DOG this year....GOAT has been
slowly gearing up, split squad, skeleton crew turnouts to differnt
tournies, trying different personnel and styles...I think this is their
weekend.....they got a taste in flroida and are gunning to be an
eventual top team in UPAS.
DOG is always on top, wicked team and knows what it takes, they too are
going back to FL.
PONY is going to hand out some surprises this tournie...I heard good
things about them down in Chesapeake. they are 3rd
Twisted has been working hard but is going to come up short...just with
a surprise loss to PONY

don't know the others...Phoenix always grinds out wins though.
chuckwagon?

Eitan

Oct 5, 2005, 1:51:46 PM10/5/05
going to be a great tournament this weekend. I'd venture
1) Dog
2) Twisted
3) Goat

Eitan

Handy

Oct 5, 2005, 1:53:55 PM10/5/05
I saw Zebra beat Metal and as much as I think Metal has some of the
best players in the region their offense seems to be out of sync
sometimes. If they come together they will make noise, no doubt.
Also, losing in the game to go last year has to sting...

PoNY lost to A&B at sectionals, and despite their ability to bring
their game in a big way and make plays, I can't see them being top 4 in
their first year.

New Noise will surprise people. It's a simple as that.

GOAT does seem like the team to beat, but DoG at home is about as tough
as it gets (ask Pike about BI).

I saw Phoenix get absolutely trounced by GOAT so I'm not sure about
them making the top either unless they've improved a bunch.

See you on the sidelines,
Handy

GL BK!

samth

Oct 5, 2005, 3:20:53 PM10/5/05
Last year, Metal lost on double-game point, with Jeff Graham playing
with a broken hand. In addition to Jeff Graham's right hand, Metal has
picked up several other sick players. My bet is that ought to be
enough for that last point.

And no one else in the region will challenge the top 3. NY, Blue
Collar, and Phoenix haven't posted nearly as impressive results this
year.

sam th

voodoo

Oct 5, 2005, 4:14:21 PM10/5/05
Goat/DOG for first place...GOAT pulls it off and goes number 1

I have been swayed for the second spot......
Twisted will defeat PONY and will come in to the backdoor finals and
finally beat DOG taking th enumber 2 spot.

TWISTED AND GOAT go to the show this year!

ultimate7

Oct 5, 2005, 5:12:38 PM10/5/05
Are you also predicting the Padres to win the WS?

Zargham

Oct 5, 2005, 8:23:46 PM10/5/05
Seeding predictions (opinions)-- does anyone know when the actual
seedings will be out?

1) Dog
2) Goat
3) Twisted
-----------
4) PoNY
5) Chuck Wagon
6) New Noise
7) Zebra Muscles
8) Pheonix
9) Red Tide
10) Brooklyn
11) Blue Collar
12) Jackhammer
13) Q
14) WUFO
15) Tufts
16) MIT

Frankly I think the top three will fight it out and no one else has a
real shot.

that being said,
Roll Wagon.

Dan

Oct 6, 2005, 12:51:41 AM10/6/05
didn't brooklyn beat pony at sectionals?

si...@cornell.edu

Oct 6, 2005, 1:22:38 AM10/6/05
they didn't beat them, but finished above them due to a 3 way tie and
point differential. how does that work out with seeding?

PGe...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2005, 10:19:17 AM10/6/05
>GOAT does seem like the team to beat, but DoG at home is about as tough
>as it gets (ask Pike about BI).

are you kidding? when was the last time DoG didn't win this region?
i'm not sure its ever happened. GOAT may win, but they are certainly
not the team to beat. Oh, and there is no way DoG doesn't win this
region. Twisted and GOAT really aren't quite on their level yet. And
none of the other teams in the region are anywhere close to these
three.

Pete

dmoney

Oct 6, 2005, 10:56:11 AM10/6/05
Word from the NE RC is that PoNY will have to be seeded below Brooklyn
despite beating them head to head at Sectionals, which gives somebody a
nasty game in round 1.

Opinions on Seeding
The Top 3 are a step above the rest of the region. Metal and DoG
probably work harder than any other team in the region. GOAT casts a
wide net for talented players. For seeding, DoG still stands out on
top. Metal has beaten the combo GOAT team twice this fall. Should
Metal continue that this weekend and steal the second nationals spot, I
wonder if it will dissolve the Toronto/ Ottawa concept. Playing
separate this summer, both Toronto and Ottawa teams raised their local
scenes.

1. DoG
2. Metal
3. Goat

Then there are a heap of battles just to make it to Sunday.

Chuck Wagon served up a clean win over a mostly college section, though
it also included Salt (Masters) and won the finals against Blue Collar.
The recent Clambake win helped nail some stuff down against Tide and
some random Canadians. Based on RRI and seeding rules, CW could be the
4 seed. But splitting games against Noise and no record against Zebra
make it a tough call.

Zebra has been all the talk after beating Phoenix, but that was not the
Phoenix of the summer. Sure Sully and Colin and some other great
players are still on the fall roster, but a lot of the talent committed
to GOAT. Were the ranks then filled with Firebird? Zebra beat Noise in
their one meeting in the record heat at BI.

New Noise just got a lot better. In 2004 they barely made it out of a
mediocre section. This year, they are securing a spot ahead of an amped
up Tide. The 4-16 seeds will have a tough time covering these guys, but
I doubt NN will make a dent in the top 3. Watch out for the man with
the yellow hat.

Brooklyn has had a ton of close games with the above teams but as far
as I know, they produced no wins. This puts them at a disadvantage for
seeding, and PoNY at a real disadvantage. And whoever has to play PoNY
first at a real disadvantage.

4. Chuck Wagon
5. Zebra
6. New Noise
7. Brooklyn

PoNY was the best of the rest this summer/ fall. As a player on a new
team, I know it's not easy to get things off the ground, especially as
players gravitate toward established teams. With Pike around the corner
and Brooklyn down the street I imagine it's been tough. Whatever.
Underneath that thin veil of a "New" New York, I bet these guys are
ripped about the whole seeding thing.

I have no idea what Phoenix has as a goal for this weekend. Are they
just there to play? How do you lose so many inspirational players and
still try to play for Florida? It's probably just an opportunity to
work some younger less experienced guys into the team for next year.
Or are some of the guys bitter about GOAT? Either way, I wonder how
their motivation will help or hurt them this weekend.

I heard Red Tide practices twice a week. Probably the tightest small
town ultimate team in the NE. The strong Portland Mixed teams fade into
memory as all those talented guys play Open. Tide had an interesting
sectionals playing down, then playing up, just to finish on seed.

Last year Blue Collar came out of nowhere to make it to Sunday and gave
Metal a nice wake up call in the form of two point game. This year
they again come out of nowhere, not playing a single tournament until
Sectionals. Some of their small but talented squad from 04 got picked
up by the Boston teams. On Defense, they still bring that Blue Collar
Zone, playing it almost exclusively at sectionals. For offense, it's a
beakside cut deep, a huck, then that Blue Collar Zone. Having no
history will hurt them at seeding time despite their RRI.

8. PoNY
9. Phoenix
10. Tide
11. Blue Collar

And the rest- though Jackhammer hasn't produced any wins against the
above teams, many of the games were 2-3 point games.

12. Jackhammer
13. Q
14. Tufts
15. WHUFO
16. MIT

Daron/ Wagon

voodoo

Oct 6, 2005, 2:38:39 PM10/6/05
Dmoney----
It is tough to find all the results but it looks like
Goat beat twisted at Syracuse
Goat Beat Twisted at Easterns

Twisted beat GOAT in CHesapeake
Twisted beat GOAT in Chicago
2-2 how does that get seeded?

DOG beat Goat in Chesapeake
and has beaten twisted in all matchups

I agree DOG goes 1 but how do you seed twisted and GOAT ahead or behind
one another this year?

BeantownHERO

Oct 6, 2005, 2:49:42 PM10/6/05
does it really matter, they will be playing each other in semi's either
way, DoG will play the best of whoever makes its to semis

dmoney

Oct 6, 2005, 3:40:09 PM10/6/05
I'm weighing the later games more. The two wins for Metal were earned
beating the Combo team. I think the summer tournaments Goat was just
Toronto, which, on paper, doesn't make sense as to why they are losing
now. I haven't seen any of these games either. But if I had to do the
seeding, Metal would get the nod for their more recent wins over the
Goat fall series roster. Speaking of seeding, I think seeding for every
other division for every other region is done and posted but this
one...

I also agree that it doesn't make much difference. Sunday morning,
somebody is going to have to wake up earlier, and that's about it.

Daron/ Wagon

PGe...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2005, 6:27:31 PM10/6/05
>Speaking of seeding, I think seeding for every
>other division for every other region is done and posted but this
>one...

arent the results of about every division of every region posted but
this one?

Evan Pearce

Oct 6, 2005, 7:47:03 PM10/6/05

No. There are six regions and three had regional last weekend, and
three have regionals this weekend. It is possible that you just don't
care about the southwest and central, but they still exist.

Evan

PGe...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2005, 9:19:11 PM10/6/05
ahh, i knew the southwest, but forgot the central. my point was that
there arent that many other divisions to have seeded. somebody has to
be last.

mr.kris...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2005, 10:18:41 PM10/6/05
From: http://www2.upa.org/scores/tourn.cgi?div=20&id=1971

Teams
1. Death or Glory 2566
2. GOAT 2491
3. Metal 2498
4. Chuck Wagon 2360
5. Zebra Muscles 2330
6. Brooklyn 2217
7. PoNY 2348
8. New Noise 2271
9. Phoenix 2405
10. Blue Collar 2326
11. Red Tide 2214
12. Jackhammer Ultimate 2207
13. Tufts U Club 2097
14. Q 2249
15. MIT 1832
16. WUFO 2163

Meat Truck

Oct 7, 2005, 11:02:11 AM10/7/05
NY used to DOMINATE the region. That being said they do not anymore and
have not since the nineties. Above and Beyond would have the best
chance to rep NY in the open division, but they are playing masters.
They have a bunch of players that were part of the NY team that used to
win this region every year.

Parinella

Oct 7, 2005, 9:06:31 PM10/7/05
Most consecutive regional championships for NY: 2 (1987-88, 1990-91)

http://www2.upa.org/club/hallofchamps/open-qualifiers.shtml

(Of course, they did win those five consecutive Nationals titles, so
they dominated the nation. Just not the region.)

Handy

Oct 8, 2005, 6:52:37 PM10/8/05
Anyone have results from today? I couldn't go and I'll be there
tomorrow but I can't wait...

George Cooke

Oct 8, 2005, 7:18:13 PM10/8/05
when I left:

Dog v Wagon
Metal v Goat

in the semis in the pouring rain.

-George

samth

Oct 8, 2005, 9:02:47 PM10/8/05
Dog over Wagon (13-4)

Twisted over Goat (13-7, Goat took half 8-7, didn't score again)

Both just hearsay.

sam th

mapler...@yahoo.com

Oct 9, 2005, 9:36:01 PM10/9/05
Above & Beyond does NOT have a bunch of old NYNY players. I think they
have 2-3 who played with NY NY. Juano and Aram Flores and Joe McCugh.

mapler...@yahoo.com

Oct 9, 2005, 9:37:30 PM10/9/05
peaking at Regionals just wasn't a good strategy. Boston finally
figured that out in 1994 or so.

Matty Jefferson