College Nationals: 5 easy improvements

carter_disk

May 29, 2011, 7:45:05 PM5/29/11
CBS - Highlights:
Watch this from a non-player perspective. It shows how we
still need to take several steps to get to the next level.

1) Change OPEN to Men:
All sports use Men/Women and Boy/Girl. Open is used for some
pro sports like golf or tennis, not team sports at a college
national championship. It is also common that girls will
participate on boys teams should they chose (HS soccer is a
common example)

2) Make Teams wear school colors:
This is obvious. If you want to represent your school at
Nationals you wear school colors. When Wisconsin is wearing
blue and Iowa is wearing green, it looks so much like an
intramural sport. USAU has ordered everyone to wear the
same uniform now they should at least be in school colors

3) Team Names on Uniforms
Also obvious

4) Teams should use their School Name
Goofy Team names should be lost at Nationals.

5) Hats should be same color and have the Team Name
Mentioned in another post

I see real athletes playing a real sport representing real
colleges. Let's make the most of this exposure. Many of
these changes will happen in 10 years anyway. We can do it
sooner and take advantage of not looking like a bunch of
intramural hacks.

--
Posted from http://www.rsdnospam.com

jcrotty

May 29, 2011, 8:10:05 PM5/29/11
Who are we making these changes for? The players? Because I think
they're certainly capable of doing those things on their own if they
really care about "getting to the next level".

When I played in college, I never had some craving for recognition
from the world as to what a great athlete I was and how serious I was
about playing ultimate frisbee. I don't get it. Let the college kids
play their sport the way they want to.

mvuong

May 29, 2011, 8:20:04 PM5/29/11
Agreed on pretty much all of these. The non-ultimate
announcer has even taken to calling Wisco the Badgers.

I remember at my school if we wanted to use the school's
logo on anything, it had to meet very strict standards. We
also weren't allowed to use the actual team name (like
Badgers for Wisco and Buffaloes for Colorado) because we
weren't an "official" team, just a club team. Something to
consider.

alansmith175

May 29, 2011, 8:50:06 PM5/29/11
CBS - Highlights:
Watch this from a non-player perspective. It shows how we
still need to take several steps to get to the next level.

1) Change OPEN to Men:
All sports use Men/Women and Boy/Girl. Open is used for some
pro sports like golf or tennis, not team sports at a college
national championship. It is also common that girls will
participate on boys teams should they chose (HS soccer is a
common example)

If it's open to both genders, it's open. I don't have a
problem with either call.

2) Make Teams wear school colors:
This is obvious. If you want to represent your school at
Nationals you wear school colors. When Wisconsin is wearing
blue and Iowa is wearing green, it looks so much like an
intramural sport. USAU has ordered everyone to wear the same
uniform now they should at least be in school colors

Many schools do not allow their club teams to use school
colors, logos, or identifiers, as it gives off the
impression that the team is an official rep of the school.
School positions seem to vary on this.

3) Team Names on Uniforms
Also obvious

On the webcast, I can barely see the numbers on the
uniforms. Why is this obvious?

4) Teams should use their School Name
Goofy Team names should be lost at Nationals.

See #2.

5) Hats should be same color and have the Team Name
Mentioned in another post

Where's the value here? Aside from baseball, no one requires
uniform headgear. What if they want to wear headbands? What
about different color cleats? Braces? Wristbands? As is, you
know they're on different teams.

Daag Alemayehu

May 29, 2011, 9:11:40 PM5/29/11
On May 29, 8:50 pm, alansmith175 <alansmith...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 5) Hats should be same color and have the Team Name
> Mentioned in another post
>
> Where's the value here? Aside from baseball, no one requires
> uniform headgear. What if they want to wear headbands? What
> about different color cleats? Braces? Wristbands? As is, you
> know they're on different teams.

With all due respect, this is not even remotely true.

NBA: wear a headband if you like, but there are stringent requirements
on what kind of headband you can wear and how you can wear it.

NFL: everybody has to wear a helmet and every helmet has to meet
certain requirements depending on your position.

I am ambivalent on the headgear debate, but I would not be at all
surprised if USAU made some sort of uniform requirement respecting
headgear within the next five years.

ulticritic

May 29, 2011, 9:55:09 PM5/29/11
On May 29, 8:10 pm, jcrotty <john.a.cro...@gmail.com> wrote:.

> Who are we making these changes for?

FOR THE SPORT, DUMBASS

 The players?  Because I think
> they're certainly capable of doing those things on their own if they
> really care about "getting to the next level".

shiiiiiit, if that were the case they wouldnt even have matchung
shorts or numbers yet

> When I played in college, I never had some craving for recognition
> from the world as to what a great athlete I was and how serious I was
> about playing ultimate frisbee.

its a new day jack
----------------------------------

> I don't get it.

exactly!!!! try watching espn once in a while and you might (GET IT).

 Let the college kids
> play their sport the way they want to.

ya mean with refs?

ulticritic

May 29, 2011, 9:56:15 PM5/29/11
On May 29, 8:20 pm, mvuong <marvinvu...@gmail.com> wrote:.

so maybe that means you should be alighned with the ncaa rather than
usau

> --
> Posted fromhttp://www.rsdnospam.com

morfin

May 29, 2011, 10:00:09 PM5/29/11
It's call flair..

Pink hat, tall socks, those are the baller players.
It's easier to match up on defense..

Pete

May 29, 2011, 10:00:10 PM5/29/11
Certain schools have approval from the university to wear
the school colors or logo (Oregon and Florida come to mind)
but you can only do that if you have received approval.

ulticritic

May 29, 2011, 10:00:37 PM5/29/11
On May 29, 8:50 pm, alansmith175 <alansmith...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Where's the value here?

in not looking like ultiate is a frat boy intrmural sport
---------------------------------------

Aside from baseball, no one requires
> uniform headgear.

uhhhhhh, football, lax, wrestling
--------------------------------------

What if they want to wear headbands?

then color coordinate them you dipshit......do you EVER watch the nba/
--------------------------------------

What
> about different color cleats?

most all cleats are black anyways
-------------------------------

Braces?

again, black
---------------------------

Wristbands?

they should match too

carter_disk

May 29, 2011, 10:05:05 PM5/29/11
My suggestions are intended to make viewing College Ultimate
easier for the average fan (students and parents)

1) There are copy rights on logos. I did not suggest using
these.

2) The teams already represent the university. They can have
the proper colors and school names on their jersey, along
with school colors on hats etc.

In intramurals you get to choose your own team name and
colors. This is where ultimate is and I understand those
that don't want this to change.

However, a real collegiate sport that wants to represent its
University at Nationals to the public will tend to move away
from the intramural look.

jcrotty

May 29, 2011, 10:19:53 PM5/29/11
But why are we talking about what the "sport" wants as opposed to what
the players want? USAU is funded and elected by the people that play
ultimate. If the college players wanted to look more professional and
give up their silly team names in order to gain some mainstream
legitimacy, then they could do that without a mandate from USAU.

Maybe the club side of the USAU membership feels differently than the
college kids. So if you're a club player and it's important to you
that the college kids wear matching hats, then I guess you can cast
your vote accordingly. But I'd say from the look of it that the
college kids like wearing their hats the way they are and I don't have
any desire to try to force them to change. Let the college kids
determine how mainstream their sport is going to be.

bil

May 29, 2011, 11:20:41 PM5/29/11
6) I found the various tights worn under the white shorts in the first
semis game (womens) really hard to look at, especially since they
didn't match the jersey or any other team color. And the variety in
shorts vs. skirts. In comparison, the rest of the games were great,
hats or no.

Reggie Fanelli

May 30, 2011, 5:02:21 AM5/30/11
> 1) Change OPEN to Men:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--already DONE in the Ultimate Observers Association.
why has it taken so long elsewhere?

Reggie Fanelli

May 30, 2011, 5:03:47 AM5/30/11

> 5) Hats should be same color and have the Team Name
> Mentioned in another post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---WOW.....yet another of Toad's ideas beginning to catch on with
other folks...
would you look at that.

some of the dumbassed haters will keep on hating on this idea....but
it seems to be taking root!

Reggie Fanelli

May 30, 2011, 5:04:58 AM5/30/11
> Who are we making these changes for?  The players?

--sounds like the changes would be for....................the sport of
ultimate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> When I played in college, I never had some craving for recognition
> from the world as to what a great athlete I was and how serious I was
> about playing ultimate frisbee.

---you're hatin' it.

Reggie Fanelli

May 30, 2011, 5:08:12 AM5/30/11
> Where's the value here? Aside from baseball, no one requires
> uniform headgear. What if they want to wear headbands? What
> about different color cleats? Braces? Wristbands? As is, you
> know they're on different teams.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---hats, if worn, shall be uniform.

what's so crazy about that?

next.....wristbands and head bands shall be white, black or the color
of the shirt...and shall be uniform.

as in high school basketball....shoes and socks are not considered
part of the codified uniform.

Reggie Fanelli

May 30, 2011, 5:12:51 AM5/30/11
> But why are we talking about what the "sport" wants as opposed to what
> the players want?

---why wouldn't you?
in the upsa...there's no "player" association any longer, right?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 USAU is funded and elected by the people that play
> ultimate.

---they don't seem to listen to the people...or talk to the people....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 If the college players wanted to look more professional and
> give up their silly team names in order to gain some mainstream
> legitimacy, then they could do that without a mandate from USAU.

---sure they can.
but they'll do it faster if mandated, right?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Let the college kids
> determine how mainstream their sport is going to be.

---a lot of those kids had never played before college...and don't
have much of a clue as to 'how' mainstream the sport is or could be.

Reggie Fanelli

May 30, 2011, 5:13:55 AM5/30/11
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--underlayers should be all white, or all black, or the same color as
the body of the uniform......and should all match.

ulticritic

May 30, 2011, 9:33:53 AM5/30/11
On May 29, 10:19 pm, jcrotty <john.a.cro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But why are we talking about what the "sport" wants as opposed to what
> the players want?

yea, lets talk about how the players would prefer to play by uoa
rules. "THE PLAYERS" voted for active travels 2 years ago and the upa
reacted by not allowing them to vote the following years. and
ironically it was the upa that enforced the current uniform rules
(including #s on shorts) WITHOUT consent of the players.

 USAU is funded and elected by the people that play
> ultimate.  If the college players wanted to look more professional and
> give up their silly team names in order to gain some mainstream
> legitimacy, then they could do that without a mandate from USAU.

yet they CANT change rule that they would like to be changed.......how
queer, eh?

> Maybe the club side of the USAU membership feels differently than the
> college kids.

yea, they are bigger pussies/sz's when it comes to rule enforcement

 So if you're a club player and it's important to you
> that the college kids wear matching hats, then I guess you can cast
> your vote accordingly.

i'm pretty sure the money to broadcast this presentation is coming out
of the general fund.......or at least the saleries that are being paid
for usau administrators that solicit said funding FOR THIS
PRESENTATION is being paid out of the general membership
dues........of course usau is all secretive about all that AND how
much of our money they are spending on this, so..................

 But I'd say from the look of it that the
> college kids like wearing their hats the way they are and I don't have
> any desire to try to force them to change.

so you dont have any desire for ultimate NOT to look bush league?
thats queer

 Let the college kids
> determine how mainstream their sport is going to be.

what if that included them using refs? would you support that?

Matt Sheehan

May 30, 2011, 9:50:04 AM5/30/11
I know that most people in ultimate are dying for some
mainstream appeal, and there are plenty of advantages that
come with it.
However, I draw some a line in the sand when it comes to
team names. Instead of naming themselves after some random
animal, most ultimate teams find a clever way to name their
team that says something about them and the sport. Some are
quirky, some suck, and some are pretty damn good (shout out
to the Stanford Prison Experiment, beats the hell out of the
"Stanford Cardinal").

The fun of naming a team and wearing that name with pride is
something that I wouldn't give up in favor of more groveling
before the perceived desires of the mainstream. I have
confidence that the quality of the game will carry ultimate
as far as it needs to go.

Random Guy

May 30, 2011, 11:39:46 AM5/30/11
So it seems to come down to -Advance the sport of Ultimate and make it
appealing to ALL- vs. -Keep it the way WE Ultimate players like it
(even if that means we don't gain national recognition)-

Plus there's over 300 college teams on the rankings. and being from a
small school with weak collegiate athletics (which I strongly
support), Ultimate is our chance as athletes to be ourselves (my and
my teammates feelings). If USAU wants to team up with NCAA and all
these colleges and universities and make it a collegiate sport, I
think college kids would be more than willing to abide by strict
uniform rules. But since these schools and national governing bodies
aren't recognizing Ultimate as a collegiate sport (and barely give us
funding) I think I'll stick to calling myself a Bum instead of a
Cougar, wear a different hat every game, design outrageously awesome
uniforms that OUR team loves and OUR team appreciates.

I just think come Nationals time everyone is all amped up by our
sport's most competitive tournament, and we seem to forget the
hundreds upon hundreds of tournaments that take place without these
national powerhouses. I would make a guess that the vast majority of
Ultimate players are in it for the fun of competition, the fun of
tournaments, the fun of having socializing, the fun of Ultimate.

Personally, I could care less if the sport advances in the sense that
we want NARPs to like it (Non-athlete regular persons). To me,
advancing our sport means making it appealing to people who want to
play, which would be much easier by making Ultimate a huge national
sensation, but doing so seems to be a problem ...but what is easier,
is getting out there personally and recruiting kids/people in your
area. Showing them what you personally love about Ultimate.

Caleb
#2 CofC Bums

Daag Alemayehu

May 30, 2011, 11:50:52 AM5/30/11

Maybe it's time to switch up the flair to tats and hairstyles. Who's
going to be our Birdman?

ulticritic

May 30, 2011, 11:50:35 AM5/30/11
On May 30, 9:50 am, Matt Sheehan <mattsheeha...@gmail.com> wrote:.

> I know that most people in ultimate are dying for some
> mainstream appeal, and there are plenty of advantages that
> come with it.

like money, credibility, potential ncaa/hsaa affiliation, NOT being
looked at as a hippy sport?

> However, I draw some a line in the sand when it comes to
> team names. Instead of naming themselves after some random
> animal, most ultimate teams find a clever way to name their
> team that says something about them and the sport. Some are
> quirky, some suck, and some are pretty damn good (shout out
> to the Stanford Prison Experiment, beats the hell out of the
> "Stanford Cardinal").

still, in the end it is a distraction from the sport. do you want to
emphisise the sport or the distractions like quirky team names and
players wearing mismating trucker hats......its really that simple

> The fun of naming a team and wearing that name with pride is
> something that I wouldn't give up in favor of more groveling
> before the perceived desires of the mainstream.

why? and do you make similar sacrifices in other aspects of your
life.......like, would you turndown a great job opportunity if it
meant adhearing to a ridged (siut and tie) dress code?

I have
> confidence that the quality of the game will carry ultimate
> as far as it needs to go.

as far as it needs to go to achieve what end? if its respect from the
sports world and basic legitamacy isnt the simple fromula to just
conform. i mean, you guys are holding on to a hippy ideal and there
aint a hippy amoungst ya (spiritually, politically or in any other
way).......so what the fucks the big deal?
> --
> Posted fromhttp://www.rsdnospam.com

ulticritic

May 30, 2011, 12:02:17 PM5/30/11
On May 30, 11:39 am, Random Guy <hartsel...@gmail.com> wrote:.

> So it seems to come down to -Advance the sport of Ultimate and make it
> appealing to ALL- vs. -Keep it the way WE Ultimate players like it
> (even if that means we don't gain national recognition)-

bzzzt WRONG......you mean "the way THOSE usau administrators want
it". they (12 idiots in boulder) make all the rules.......and no one
else has any other choise but to abide by them or quit.

> Plus there's over 300 college teams on the rankings.  and being from a
> small school with weak collegiate athletics (which I strongly
> support), Ultimate is our chance as athletes to be ourselves (my and
> my teammates feelings).

be yourselves?????? what the fuck does that mean?

 If USAU wants to team up with NCAA and all
> these colleges and universities and make it a collegiate sport, I
> think college kids would be more than willing to abide by strict
> uniform rules.

are you serious.......THATS THE LAST THING USAU WANTS.......and they
will do whatever it takes NOT to ensure that happens.......NAMELY
BEING ANTI REF.

 But since these schools and national governing bodies
> aren't recognizing Ultimate as a collegiate sport (and barely give us
> funding) I think I'll stick to calling myself a Bum instead of a
> Cougar, wear a different hat every game, design outrageously awesome
> uniforms that OUR team loves and OUR team appreciates.

well arent you the little rebel
--------------------------------------

> I just think come Nationals time everyone is all amped up by our
> sport's most competitive tournament, and we seem to forget the
> hundreds upon hundreds of tournaments that take place without these
> national powerhouses.

are you saying you dont aspire for your team to be one of them?

 I would make a guess that the vast majority of
> Ultimate players are in it for the fun of competition, the fun of
> tournaments, the fun of having socializing, the fun of Ultimate.

hows that differnt from any other sport......at the lower d2 and d3
levels?

> Personally, I could care less if the sport advances in the sense that
> we want NARPs to like it (Non-athlete regular persons).

narp's dont give a fuck about sports anyways.......we are talking
about ARP'S.......thinking that you tools that dont want to conform
are the NARP'S

 To me,
> advancing our sport means making it appealing to people who want to
> play, which would be much easier by making Ultimate a huge national
> sensation, but doing so seems to be a problem

only to you sz's that are all hung up on the kooky religious aspect of
ultimate......you know, those of you that are anti ref......which i'm
sure you are one of those too

...but what is easier,
> is getting out there personally and recruiting kids/people in your
> area.  Showing them what you personally love about Ultimate.

thats the thing, if ultimate would just conform it would be alot
easier to get kids to play....AND to get hsaa and ncaa regognition and
affiliation.

> Caleb
> #2 CofC Bums

Reggie Fanelli

May 30, 2011, 12:18:00 PM5/30/11
>   If USAU wants to team up with NCAA and all
> > these colleges and universities and make it a collegiate sport, I
> > think college kids would be more than willing to abide by strict
> > uniform rules.
>
> are you serious.......THATS THE LAST THING USAU WANTS.......and they
> will do whatever it takes NOT to ensure that happens.......NAMELY
> BEING ANTI REF.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---the upsa is super anti ref, because they DO NOT want the sport to
become recognized by the ncaa....because then the upsa would lose
control of the sport....and thus lose control of all the money that
they are able to collect from those who pay to play.

wow.

nice line of thought toad.

now....if there were a national association of officials......it
wouldn't matter who was in charge.....the association would simply
work for the for whoever was the governing body.
i know.....we'll call it the UOA.

Matt Sheehan

May 30, 2011, 12:25:07 PM5/30/11
Some of the above comments (basically any sentence that
contains the word "hippy") smack of insecurity more than
anything else. "Are we real athletes? Please Mr. ESPN tell
me that we're real athletes. Pretty please?"

As I see it the main appeal of mainstream credibility is
getting to watch great frisbee on TV and being able to play
on better fields. For me the end that needs achieving is
creation/maintenance of a sport that is really fun to play,
watch and be a part of the community surrounding it. Right
now fribee is great on the first point (but could be better
if field conditions were improved), decent on the second
point (but would be vastly improved by a better media
coverage), and fantastic on the third one (which I think
would be harmed by stripping the game of all of these
quirks).

So we've got some trade-offs to consider and as far as I'm
concerned renaming teams and eliminating fun headgear fall
on the negative side of that trade off. Playing championship
games in stadiums? Great. Having a strong officiating system
that speeds up game play? Great. Taking team names and
uniforms out of the hands of the players? Hell no.

One of the best parts of the community surrounding ultimate
is just how player-run it is, the way the for-us-by-us way
decisions are made. That's something I wouldn't be willing
to give up so that meathead jocks stop calling us hippies.

ulticritic

May 30, 2011, 12:46:26 PM5/30/11
On May 30, 12:25 pm, Matt Sheehan <mattsheeha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some of the above comments (basically any sentence that
> contains the word "hippy") smack of insecurity more than
> anything else. "Are we real athletes? Please Mr. ESPN tell
> me that we're real athletes. Pretty please?"

ones that dont have any problems with their sports conforming to the
norms of normal sports......and play for the fun of competition rahter
than have any big need to be different.

> As I see it the main appeal of mainstream credibility is
> getting to watch great frisbee on TV and being able to play
> on better fields.

amoungst other things

For me the end that needs achieving is
> creation/maintenance of a sport that is really fun to play,
> watch and be a part of the community surrounding it.

1) whats fun is winning, 2) watching ultimate would be much funner if
it conformed and had refs 3) that community things sounds overly
altruistic and unecessary to me. sounds like you want to make
ultimate into the "dead head" of sports. fuck all that.......also,
there is a socal aspect to ALL sports......so what makes yoy think
ultimate is any different or better in that reguard?

Right
> now fribee is great on the first point (but could be better
> if field conditions were improved), decent on the second
> point (but would be vastly improved by a better media
> coverage), and fantastic on the third one (which I think
> would be harmed by stripping the game of all of these
> quirks).

thig is, the 2nd point (fuck the first cause what fun is subjective)
is sacrificed BADLY because you sz's are so caught up about the 3rd
point

> So we've got some trade-offs to consider and as far as I'm
> concerned renaming teams and eliminating fun headgear fall
> on the negative side of that trade off.

seriously????? wearing matching, appropriatly worn, hats would REALLY
detract from the fun and community aspect you twerp sz.s covet so?

Playing championship
> games in stadiums? Great. Having a strong officiating system
> that speeds up game play? Great.

are you saying your down with refs but draw the line at mismatching
hats

Taking team names and
> uniforms out of the hands of the players? Hell no.

well, uniform requirements are ALREADY out of the hands of the
players? team names are just an obvious givin. i mean, if you go by
that logiic why would usau recognize the school they are affiliated
with in the first place?

> One of the best parts of the community surrounding ultimate
> is just how player-run it is,

pffft, YOURE DREAMIN.......its usau administrative run. wake up and
smell the coffee

the way the for-us-by-us way
> decisions are made. That's something I wouldn't be willing
> to give up so that meathead jocks stop calling us hippies.

like i said, there aint a REAL hippy amoungst ya......but yall
definitely got a serious complex from not being able to "become"
accepted by, or even BE one of those "meathead jocks" you have such
disdain for. also, with the amount of training and preperation tha
the top tiered teams practice now its quite possible that THEY can
easily be included as the very sam "meathead jocks" you refer
to.......at least to narp's/psuedo hippies like yourself

> --
> Posted fromhttp://www.rsdnospam.com

Grant

May 30, 2011, 12:59:36 PM5/30/11
I dunno, hippies did give us a lot of cool things in the word. Earth
Day, soy foods and Ultimate Frisbee were all hippy products (if high
schoolers can in fact be hippies) and they aren't half bad.

The real improvement that needs to happen at College Nationals is
where's the tournament party? I know USAU can't officially have one
anymore but I assume Boulder put on a good show. The only thing is,
some of us didn't know where it was. What's with the lack of RSD (and
RSDnospam) communication?

Also, I didn't see too many creative spikes. There's a litany of pop
culture out there in the world today guys (and girls) can use to
represent their goals. Let's see what you've got!

Grant

p.s. Play Ultimate. It's fun!

Grant

May 30, 2011, 1:03:31 PM5/30/11
On May 30, 12:59 pm, Grant <gdfarring...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I dunno, hippies did give us a lot of cool things in the word.

Ahhhhhh! Grammatical error! Although, there are a lot of cool things
in the word, it doesn't make too much sense. Should be world.
Totally my bad.

TheWedge

May 30, 2011, 2:25:07 PM5/30/11
It's weird. I was showed the nationals streams yesterday to
a number of my friends that had gathered in my apartment for
a cook out. Only one had ever seen ultimate played before,
and they had only watched a spring league tournament. Yet,
despite the fact that there were a number of mismatched hats
and that I had to explain that Wisconsin's name was the
Hodags not the badgers, not a single one of them stormed out
in disgust vowing never to watch ultimate again. In fact,
shockingly, all of them enjoyed it and I repeatedly heard
comments like "wow, these dudes are really good athletes"
and "I didn't realize how serious this game was" and "that
was an awesome catch, cool!" Someone even said that they
really liked the name Mamabird, and no one had any
difficulty figuring out which team was Colorado and which
team was Wisconsin. Maybe it's because most people could
not give less of a shit about what hat someone wears or if
their jersey colors match their school colors?

~wedge

~wedge

ulticritic

May 30, 2011, 2:32:41 PM5/30/11

maybe that just says more about the people you hang out with than
anything else.

pizzaslot

May 30, 2011, 2:36:36 PM5/30/11
On May 29, 6:45 pm, carter_disk <carter_d...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> CBS - Highlights:
> Watch this from a non-player perspective. It shows how we
> still need to take several steps to get to the next level.

> 1) Change OPEN to Men:
> All sports use Men/Women and Boy/Girl. Open is used for some
> pro sports like golf or tennis, not team sports at a college
> national championship. It is also common that girls will
> participate on boys teams should they chose (HS soccer is a
> common example)
>
> 2) Make Teams wear school colors:
> This is obvious. If you want to represent your school at
> Nationals you wear school colors. When Wisconsin is wearing
> blue and Iowa is wearing green, it looks so much like an
> intramural sport.  USAU has ordered everyone to wear the
> same uniform now they should at least be in school colors
>
> 3) Team Names on Uniforms
> Also obvious
>
> 4) Teams should use their School Name
> Goofy Team names should be lost at Nationals.

> 5) Hats should be same color and have the Team Name
> Mentioned in another post
>
> I see real athletes playing a real sport representing real
> colleges. Let's make the most of this exposure. Many of
> these changes will happen in 10 years anyway. We can do it
> sooner and take advantage of not looking like a bunch of
> intramural hacks.
>
> --
> Posted fromhttp://www.rsdnospam.com

Here's an easy one. All women's teams wear the skirts like UCSB.
That's hot!!!!!!

nicholas

May 30, 2011, 2:40:05 PM5/30/11
I wouldn't worry too much Grant. Forgetting to put an "L" in
a word is forgivable. However, saying "funner" (looking at
you Ulticritic) is laughable. Not to mention it ruins your
credibility... though that might not have been your first
issue with this, huh?

ulticritic

May 30, 2011, 3:15:54 PM5/30/11
On May 30, 2:40 pm, nicholas <nick.n...@ou.edu> wrote:

> I wouldn't worry too much Grant. Forgetting to put an "L" in
> a word is forgivable. However, saying "funner" (looking at
> you Ulticritic) is laughable.

how? unless you are some kind of grammar technoweenie
dillhole.......is that what youre saying you are or somthing?
------------------------------------

Not to mention it ruins your
> credibility..

are you saying guys like charles barkely dont have any
credibility.......cause we all know he dosent use proper grammar
either

. though that might not have been your first
> issue with this, huh?

i have NO issues with using whatever made up words, spelt the way i
want to spell them, in the least. you obviously do......which is what
makes you a grammar technoweenie dillhole
> --
> Posted fromhttp://www.rsdnospam.com

nicholas

May 30, 2011, 4:20:06 PM5/30/11
OOOOO ok. So you don't have an issue with using whatever
words you want? You don't have an issue spelling words the
way you choose? Neat. Then why in the hell do you have an
issue with an ultimate player wanting to wear whatever they
want? Maybe we can make a deal? You stay ignorant, and I'll
wear whatever the hell I want.

Whenever the attitude of the non-ultimate community shifts
from "holy hell this sport doesn't have dogs?!?" or "That
guy just dove for a Frisbee! i mean he actually dove!" to
"That sky was unheard of, but i could've done without the
neon hat.." then this thread might be relevant.

However, it still remains that true ultimate is a foreign
object to millions. The focus right now should simply be on
exposing those millions to this sport we all love. TheWedge
made an excellent point. When people are exposed to ultimate
the things they notice are the athleticism, the strategy,
the effort, and more importantly all the cool shit that
happens! It's not the hats or wristbands they wear.

I think that when it's all said and done people want to see
exciting, clean, competitive ultimate. They don't care about
the aesthetics.

All I'm saying is that we're getting ahead of ourselves. If
we really want people to appreciate this sport then how
about we actually let them know what it is first.

Max Barowski

May 30, 2011, 4:35:02 PM5/30/11

The only point that is valid I've read on here in at least a week.

All this really makes me appreciate the fact that I will never
associate with the dim witted clowns at UOA

ulticritic

May 30, 2011, 4:35:11 PM5/30/11
On May 30, 4:20 pm, nicholas <nick.n...@ou.edu> wrote:.

> OOOOO ok. So you don't have an issue with using whatever
> words you want? You don't have an issue spelling words the
> way you choose?

not on an informa new group, hell no
-----------------------------------

Neat. Then why in the hell do you have an
> issue with an ultimate player wanting to wear whatever they
> want? Maybe we can make a deal? You stay ignorant, and I'll
> wear whatever the hell I want.

are you playing on tv representing the sport of ultimate?

> Whenever the attitude of the non-ultimate community shifts
> from "holy hell this sport doesn't have dogs?!?" or "That
> guy just dove for a Frisbee! i mean he actually dove!" to
> "That sky was unheard of, but i could've done without the
> neon hat.." then this thread might be relevant.

chicken and the eg my man.......chicken and the egg. or as i like to
say, sports entertainment is show business.....no show, no busniess.
first ya got to sell yourself before people stop mistaking ultimate
with k9 disc. ultimate is already in a pit, a deep yawning casm, when
it come to its reputation......so it should do everything possible to
dig itself out........as cheif wiggim once said, "dig up"

> However, it still remains that true ultimate is a foreign
> object to millions. The focus right now should simply be on
> exposing those millions to this sport we all love.

exactly, and it should be done while not looking like its an
intramural rec sport

TheWedge
> made an excellent point. When people are exposed to ultimate
> the things they notice are the athleticism, the strategy,
> the effort, and more importantly all the cool shit that
> happens! It's not the hats or wristbands they wear.

you dont know that. and what about espn executives and potential
sponsors.....you dont think they look at the ENTIRE PACKAGE? so why
not make the best possible impression ya can?

> I think that when it's all said and done people want to see
> exciting, clean, competitive ultimate. They don't care about
> the aesthetics.

then why do all other sports seem to

> All I'm saying is that we're getting ahead of ourselves.

not by looking like schmucks with the mismatching hats.......your
staying behind

If
> we really want people to appreciate this sport then how
> about we actually let them know what it is first.

no reason you cant look professional by doing so......that way your
killing two birds with one stone.........get refs and you'll be
killing three

> --
> Posted fromhttp://www.rsdnospam.com

mvuong

May 30, 2011, 5:11:25 PM5/30/11
Max Barowski wrote on Mon, 30 May 2011 13:35

> The only point that is valid I've read on here in at
> least a week.
>
> All this really makes me appreciate the fact that I will
> never
> associate with the dim witted clowns at UOA

Whoa there. Let's not lump ulticritic in with what the folks
at the UOA are doing. He does not represent or speak for
them. Hell, according to his standards, the UOA is also not
good enough since they don't have full refs. We can judge
the UOA based on what Mike says, not what ulticritic says.

Of course, Mike could come back and say the opposite of this
and render this all moot.

Reggie Fanelli

May 31, 2011, 7:58:49 AM5/31/11
> I wouldn't worry too much Grant. Forgetting to put an "L" in
> a word is forgivable. However, saying "funner" (looking at
> you Ulticritic) is laughable. Not to mention it ruins your
> credibility... though that might not have been your first
> issue with this, huh?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---it ruins YOUR credibility if YOU don't know what 'funner' means.

Reggie Fanelli

May 31, 2011, 8:00:21 AM5/31/11
> OOOOO ok. So you don't have an issue with using whatever
> words you want? You don't have an issue spelling words the
> way you choose? Neat. Then why in the hell do you have an
> issue with an ultimate player wanting to wear whatever they
> want? Maybe we can make a deal? You stay ignorant, and I'll
> wear whatever the hell I want.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--so....by this logic....you think that ultimate should LOOK the way
that Toad spells.
genius!
and....that's exactly what you are getting.

Reggie Fanelli

May 31, 2011, 8:01:41 AM5/31/11
On May 30, 4:35 pm, Max Barowski <ghettoblaste...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All this really makes me appreciate the fact that I will never
> associate with the dim witted clowns at UOA-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--hey fella.....nothing in the post that you replied to said anything
about the UOA!.....nor is the person to whom that post was directed
have anything to do with the UOA.
don't be goofy.

Reggie Fanelli

May 31, 2011, 8:03:40 AM5/31/11
> Whoa there. Let's not lump ulticritic in with what the folks
> at the UOA are doing. He does not represent or speak for
> them. Hell, according to his standards, the UOA is also not
> good enough since they don't have full refs. We can judge
> the UOA based on what Mike says, not what ulticritic says.
>
> Of course, Mike could come back and say the opposite of this
> and render this all moot.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--no...i completely agree!

and...the UOA Fall College Season is gearing up NOW!
contact me if your team is interested in competing!

we want 8 conferences battling for 8 spots at the UOA National
Championship!

AND....we're planning a High School Championship in early Dec!

start making plans and contact me directly.
Mike G
UOA
agerics20 at yahoo dot com

Reggie Fanelli

May 31, 2011, 8:47:37 AM5/31/11
> All this really makes me appreciate the fact that I will never
> associate with the dim witted clowns at UOA-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--hi Max,
i'm curious....in another thread, you wrote that 'usaultimate can eat
a dick'
do you simply hate all 'governing bodies' of ultimate...or just the
two in the US?

and.....WHAT makes you appreciate the fact that you will never
associate with the UOA?

the best crew of officials on the planet....does that make you
appreciate not associating with the UOA?

all the teams who have competed at our events seem to be very thankful
and appreciative of our efforts to provide a great college ultimate
experience.....and they seem to have appreciated associating with the
UOA....

so......what's wrong with you?