Polite Canadians?

Tim Friesen

Aug 6, 2007, 10:12:22 AM8/6/07
I'm waiting to hear a little pre-tournament smack-talk from teams heading to
Toronto for Nationals.

Who has an opinion about what's going to go down??

Handy

Aug 6, 2007, 10:52:09 AM8/6/07

There will be roughly 10,000 passive aggressive calls.

uan...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2007, 12:26:29 PM8/6/07
On Aug 6, 10:12 am, "Tim Friesen" <tim.frie...@telusplanet.net> wrote:

In the open division...
Furious and Goat destroy everyone on there way to the finals, at which
point, they play each other and one of them wins.

gola...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2007, 4:14:40 PM8/6/07

in the womens division

vancouver and capitals destroy everyone but alberta on their way to

Leonardo

Aug 6, 2007, 5:03:25 PM8/6/07
On Aug 6, 10:12 am, "Tim Friesen" <tim.frie...@telusplanet.net> wrote:

who's in the running for Mixed? is Bombing Madd Fatties still a team?
Sock Full of Quarters/Bytown? Team Fisher Price? Wait i see the list
now --- who are these teams? Snipe? MHUC? Bostrich? Whazza?

Tim Friesen

Aug 6, 2007, 5:47:15 PM8/6/07
Wow....that's a real leap! Got anything else? Do either of them get a Game
on the way? Does Goat have any homefield advantage or more of a monkey on
their back?

<uan...@gmail.com> wrote in message

uan...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2007, 7:53:42 PM8/6/07
OK, so I looked at the schedule and I'm prepared to make another
"bold" guess...
(assuming I read the schedule correctly...)

Semi 1: Mephisto and Goat
Semi 2: Invictus and Furious

My prediction for the final still stands.

> Do either of them [Goat/Furious] get a Game on the way?

Possibly in the semis...

> Does Goat have any homefield advantage or more of a monkey on
> their back?

No, neither. I "predict" that the best team will win.

And now to "stir-the-pot"...

20 teams in each of the open, womens and mixed division was a big
mistake. The teams ranked 1-4 in these divisions (with the exception
of mixed because of By Town's regional screw-up and Gecko's loss to
MHUC) are way better than everyone else. Next time around, mandatory
regional tournaments, 10 teams/division at Nationals.

gola...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2007, 9:55:23 PM8/6/07
On Aug 6, 10:12 am, "Tim Friesen" <tim.frie...@telusplanet.net> wrote:

Alright, here's some hype/predictions for you. Yes holiday monday!

OPEN:
The buzz on the street is the highly anticipated Goat-Furious
showdown, a repeat of the 2003 championships but with a Goat team that
has more experience and more confidence, especially after two wins
over FG at Flowerbowl and a big win at the Boston Invite. Furious
didn't fare so well at Solstice, but they are a team known for
bringing it when it counts, and not performing as well in the pre-
championship tourneys. Barring any calamities, I expect to see these
two teams in the finals with Invictus nipping at someone's heels.

Thursday
The first day gives us four pools of 5, with Goat, Furious, Mephisto
and Invictus at the top of their respective pools.
Goat will take pool A handily, with Blackfish and Nads battling for
second in the pool. I wouldn't put it past those Nads to take second.
Furious will take Pool B in a similar fashion. Again, Magma and
Mangina have never played each other before, and that game could go
either way. Firebird could also shake things up a little.
Pool C could be more of a toss up. Mephisto should take it, but
General Strike could be a dark horse. Grand Trunk also had a pretty
close game against Mephisto (albeit without Shaggy) at No Borders and
if they gel on this day, they could do good things.
Pool D will feature a battle between the 4th and 5th seeds, Invictus
and Phoenix. Invictus uses more of the 'huck and run' strategy with
some balls out defence. Phoenix plays as a team and not a bunch of
superstars. My money is on Invictus.

Friday
The top three in each pool move up to power pools. Goat will meet
Invictus, and Furious will meet Mephisto. Goat will remember their
close victory over Invictus at Flowerbowl and show Invictus the better
form that brought them the Boston Invitational trophy. The Goats and
the Monkey will be victorious. Otherwise I expect a few minor upsets
here and there, but nothing major.

Saturday/Sunday
Quarters will likely feature Goat, Furious, Mephisto, Invictus, and 4
of Phoenix, Grand Trunk, Nads, General Strike and Blackfish, followed
by a Goat-Mephisto semi and a Furious -Invictus semi, and a Goat -
Furious Final. Toss up on who's going to win, I really want Goat to
keep the trophy in their hometown.

WOMENS
Again, the word on the street is a BC-Ontario showdown between
Vancouver's Traffic and O.T/T.O's Capitals. Research tells me that
Vancouver has been doing good things, with a good tourney at Solstice,
beating Riot along the way. The Capitals had a big win at Boston.
Neither team appears to have had a big tournament since the end of
June. It'll be interesting to see how that affects them.

The Semis berths seem pretty much spoken for by Traffic, Capitals,
Storm and Alberta. There is a lot of disparity in the Women's
division still. Storm had a close game against the Capitals at Boston,
but were defeated by the Capitals recently at No Borders 15-3. Still,
expect Storm to repeat their semis performance from last year. Alberta
has a lot of talented players, but a lack of big tournaments may harm
them. (Nothing major since Flowerbowl according to the upa score
reporter.)

Thursday
4 pools of 16. Capitals, Traffic, Storm and Alberta take their pools
handily. 2nd in their pools is taken by Salty, Scarlett, Psycho (good
ole NB has tricks up their sleeves) and Diggers.

Friday Powerpools:
Capitals meet Alberta, Traffic meets Storm.

Saturday/Sunday
Quarters sees the above 4 teams and 4 of: Salty, Scarlett, Crush,
Diggers, Psycho and Amazone (go Sherbrooke!).
Semis: Traffic vs Alberta, Storm vs Capitals.
Finals: Traffic vs Capitals. I'm rooting for the Capitals.

MASTERS

I don't know much about these teams, but I expect Tombstone, Glum,
Retro and FigJam to be in the semis.

MIXED
Things are a little mixed up as Bytown didn't do so well at Regionals
and are sitting at the 11th seed. The field is not as disparate as the
open and womens divisions. There are a lot of solid teams in the top
15 who could go either way depending on the day. This makes this one
much tougher to call.

Alberta only has one mens and one women's team, so their coed teams
are probably pretty strong. TFP and Bostrich had a great battle at
their regionals, and TFP's world championships win was pretty sweet.
The Winnipegers don't have a ladies team, were in the finals last
year, and thus probably have pretty strong women which can be key.
Snipe, Monster and Bytown from ON are all capable of big things. The
Quebec teams at the top are pretty evenly matched, with gecko/rip
making the semis at Mixed up.

That's all I got.

jamieso...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2007, 1:28:40 PM8/7/07
For more open division analysis:

- www.canadaultimate.blogspot.com
- cultimate.blogspot.com
look at the bathurst odds posts...

For some coed analysis:

http://www.tuc.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=6826

Peter

Julian

Aug 7, 2007, 4:28:34 PM8/7/07
Also, at least one person will claim that "everyone knows you don't
have to follow that rule." The specific rule is unknown at this point.