vapor mercurial vs. mens speed td

Jay

Sep 5, 2005, 3:39:07 PM9/5/05
Now i know there is always tons of posts about cleats, but im too lazy
to go back and look for them. Anyways, i can't seem to keep a pair of
cleats for more than a season. I am looking to buy a pair just for
tourney play. I've had the mercurials, but they started coming apart,
so i canned them, and got predators. But i was wondering, how are the
mens speed td? Is detacable any better than molded? I see alot of
people wearing them.. so any feed back would be good. Thanks

-Jay

DumpSw...@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2005, 7:50:57 PM9/5/05
I personally have owned both and can say that the lightweight feel of
the vapors is awesome, but they really do not hold up if you use them
for more than just tournaments. The cleat pattern for both cleats is
great, because they both have a toe cleat which I find is great for
acceleration when cutting and playing defense. I would say buy the tds
if you want to wear them all the time to practice and for tournaments.
Vapors are game day only otherwise they will explode very quickly. As
far as detachable and molded, I say go with molded. Even though they
are a little heavier you wont find yourself having to replace broken
cleats all the time. Also the detachables dont have as dense of a
cleat pattern.

hope that helps

wicus

Jay

Sep 5, 2005, 10:39:31 PM9/5/05
also, any word on the new vapor tds? or the Nike total 90 IIIs?

andrew6

Sep 5, 2005, 11:01:12 PM9/5/05
i have the speed TDs molded. i love'em. they arn't that expensive and
they will last you a while.

Frito

Sep 6, 2005, 12:12:49 AM9/6/05
I've got the Vapor Jet TD's and I think they combine the best of the
Speed TD and the Vapor. They are built sturdy like the Speed TD, but
have the cleat design of the Vapor. I prefer the cleat design of the
vapor to that of the speed TD because I don't like having just the
studs.

skwo...@u.washington.edu

Sep 6, 2005, 11:23:49 AM9/6/05

> also, any word on the new vapor tds? or the Nike total 90 IIIs?

I've got nothin' on the vapor tds except that they look mean. The
Total 90 IIIs are alright but not worth the $185. I spent the better
part of a year drooling over them and then Alaska lost my bag and that
was all I needed to push me over the edge.

They've got the thin walls of the Vapors and the peg-style cleats of
the TDs. However, they're heavier that the Vapors and they don't have
the toe-cleat of the TDs.

They've got a wide toe box, very uncharacteristic for Nike so it took
some getting used to and I have to wear slightly thicker socks.

Stick with TDs or Vapors. The Total 90's look flashy, especially if
you're #90 but they don't bring anything new to the table.

Ryan.

Cyrus

Sep 6, 2005, 2:53:34 PM9/6/05
damn it; skwon...@u.washtington.edu:

can you forward the post I accidently sent to you, to the whole group?
Much obliged.

skwo...@u.washington.edu

Sep 6, 2005, 5:44:40 PM9/6/05

Not sure why this is my responsibility but here y'go.

Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 11:51:13 -0700
From: Cyrus <islandint...@yahoo.com>
To: skwo...@u.washington.edu
Subject: Re: vapor mercurial vs. mens speed td

Just to be clear on terminology:
Mercurial Vapor: soccer cleat that closely resembles the light football
cleat, Vapor td.
Vapor TD: Football version of the Mercurial, but still shares the same
faults (in particular poor comfort)
Speed TD: trusted, durable, relatively light football cleat
Super Speed D: Same mold as the Speed TD but with replaceable studs for
different conditions.
Vapor Jet TD: Nike's new cleat of the summer

(All these can be viewed at eastbay.com)

As mentioned before in prior posts, Vapor Jet TDs are probably the best
way to go if you are considering between vapors (mercurial or vapor
tds) and speed tds/super speed ds. The cleat is new as of this summer
and combines the lightweightedness and cleat pattern of the
mercurial/vapor td with the comfort and durability of the speed td
(from what I understood, mercurials/vapor tds could be really taxing on
feet). Vapor Jet TDs are [advertised as] Nike's lightest cleat yet and
thankfully you don't have to have to sacrifice the ease in movement for
cut up ankles. Finally if you're concerned about the cleat pattern,
the cleat is made for football wide receivers/running backs and are
thus designed for sprinting, changing direction, and cutting. If you
are really invested in the stud design, the Speed TD (over the Super
Speed D -- I've heard some complaints about studs not staying in) is
probably a good choice but if not, Vapor Jet TDs are a great buy;
they're a bit more expensive--but well worth the integration of Nike's
earlier shoes into one.

I personally was having the same debate as you between Speed
TDs/Mercurials. But I was thankfully persuaded by Idris Nolan to grab
the Vapor Jet TDs and the dividends seem to pay off in play.

Hope this helps,

Cyrus