2008 Callahan Award Winner is...

nix.g...@gmail.com

May 17, 2008, 10:36:02 PM5/17/08
Joe "Loppi" Kershner of Sunburn! Congrats on a great season and a well-
deserved award, man.

hammy

May 18, 2008, 12:05:37 AM5/18/08
Not only a great player, but well liked and respected amongst the
ultimate world and his teammates.

The entire crowd erupted when the announcer of the Callahan Award said
"from the University of Arizona...," and after the ceremony,
Kershner's teammates rushed the field and lifted him and the trophy in
the air while the entire crowd gave him a standing ovation.

Well deserved credit for a deserving player on and off the field

hsgr...@gmail.com

May 18, 2008, 12:24:12 AM5/18/08
And Courtney Kiesow of Wisconsin wins on the women's side!!

robyn

May 18, 2008, 1:10:14 AM5/18/08
Hell yeah! That's great news! Congrats Courtney!!

quiets...@gmail.com

May 18, 2008, 2:18:38 AM5/18/08

I disagree that the whole crowd 'erupted' when Kershner won. Most of
the people were clapping more out of respect for the award, than in
applause for Kershner. Most of the people that I was around didn't
even clap, they were so shocked that Kershner had won. I mean, let's
be honest, even the speech about why he won was ridiculous. "Even when
he was hurt for 4 years, he still came to practice." I mean, how many
players have gone to practice while being hurt? Let's be serious here,
as the first thing that is said about a Callahan "winner", that's
pretty damn ridiculous.

I do not like Kurt as a player, but I still respect him. He is
clearly the best player in college ultimate right now, and I feel that
he is good enough of a player to outweigh his bad spirit. I also
think that Jolian is a good player, while also not being as bad
spirited player.

To sum up, Kershner did not deserve the Callahan anywhere near as much
as Kurt or Jolian.

qs2

Daag Alemayehu

May 18, 2008, 3:01:27 AM5/18/08
On May 18, 2:18 am, quietsmoo...@gmail.com wrote:

> I do not like Kurt as a player, but I still respect him.  He is
> clearly the best player in college ultimate right now, and I feel that
> he is good enough of a player to outweigh his bad spirit.

Kurt = Roger Clemens?

bww

May 18, 2008, 3:15:42 AM5/18/08

> I do not like Kurt as a player, but I still respect him. He is
> clearly the best player in college ultimate right now, and I feel that
> he is good enough of a player to outweigh his bad spirit.

apparently the nation disagrees with you. "outweigh his bad spirit."
i the 17 beers in me want to argue. ill abstain.

70's Ultimate Rocked...

May 18, 2008, 3:59:17 AM5/18/08
Clearly you do not understand what the callahan represents. Kershner
was more than deserving, and Congratulations if he ever reads this.

joad...@ec.rr.com

May 18, 2008, 9:20:53 AM5/18/08

c'mon dag........thats a bit of a stretch.

joad...@ec.rr.com

May 18, 2008, 9:24:37 AM5/18/08
On May 18, 3:59 am, "70's Ultimate Rocked..." <ultyn...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Clearly you do not understand what the callahan represents. Kershner
> was more than deserving, and Congratulations if he ever reads this.

clearly there needs to be a different mvp award in which skill,
intensity and results outweigh spirit and sportsmanship........and
which is more coveted by those qualifing for it and/or aspiring to win
it.

poof...@gmail.com

May 18, 2008, 10:21:05 AM5/18/08
It seems like Kershner's story just resonated with the voters playing
college ultimate. Great player, great leader, helped to build a team
up from not even being a regionals contender to a National contender.
What's not to like/vote for?

jacob...@gmail.com

May 18, 2008, 10:39:15 AM5/18/08
"clearly there needs to be a different mvp award in which skill,
intensity and results outweigh spirit and sportsmanship."

Word.

joad...@ec.rr.com

May 18, 2008, 10:39:14 AM5/18/08
On May 18, 10:21 am, "poofer...@gmail.com" <poofer...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> It seems like Kershner's story just resonated with the voters playing
> college ultimate.  Great player, great leader, helped to build a team
> up from not even being a regionals contender to a National contender.
> What's not to like/vote for?

whats not to like is the fact that there is no recognition for the
"best" player. At least have a dual award with one going to the
nicest guy amoungst all the best players and one going to the best
player amoungst all the best players. All other sports have these
honors (but then again all other sports have refs and scoreboards) so
why not ultimate.

Once that is emplamented you will be able to see just how fast the
calahan award, and all its hype and glory, takes a back seat to a true
MVP........which would tell a lot about ultimate players and their
commitment to all this spirit nonsense once and for all.

Mike Gerics

May 18, 2008, 10:45:55 AM5/18/08
clearly there needs to be a different mvp award in which skill,
intensity and results outweigh spirit and sportsmanship........and
which is more coveted by those qualifing for it and/or aspiring to win
it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---it begins this season....with the National Ultimate Media Panels All
Collegiate Teams....and....i guess.....the athlete with the most votes would
be the NUMP Player of the Year.

jacob...@gmail.com

May 18, 2008, 10:53:49 AM5/18/08
Was the Callahan always a "nice guy" award? I seem to remember some
guy from ECU winning in 1995, and that team had a bad reputation.

joad...@ec.rr.com

May 18, 2008, 10:56:58 AM5/18/08

well??????........we are waiting.......who won? Or are you gonna do
the sensible thing and wait until the ENTIRE season is ove and then
judge?

joad...@ec.rr.com

May 18, 2008, 10:57:20 AM5/18/08
On May 18, 10:53 am, jacobsi...@gmail.com wrote:
> Was the Callahan always a "nice guy" award? I seem to remember some
> guy from ECU winning in 1995, and that team had a bad reputation.

who?

jacob...@gmail.com

May 18, 2008, 11:02:58 AM5/18/08
Just kidding. They didn't start Callahan until 1996.

Andrew

May 18, 2008, 1:50:02 PM5/18/08
Everyone's getting too worked up over this spirit situation. Kersh won
because he was an incredible player who was most valuable to his team.
Just like in any other sport - MLB, NFL, etc - sometimes the MVP is
chosen for their ability to lead a team and up their game. With Jolian
and Kurt (respectively), Colorado and Florida would still be
incredible programs competing at nationals.

Kershner, congratulations on winning the 2008 Callahan, you earned it.

James

May 18, 2008, 2:03:15 PM5/18/08

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

E. honda

May 18, 2008, 5:24:25 PM5/18/08

get a job you lousy bum

Ajax

May 18, 2008, 7:19:10 PM5/18/08

so that offensive bid where Loppi layed out further, over, around,
whatever you want
to call it... outbid kurt gibson on double game point...
doesn't mean anything?

Anthony...@gmail.com

May 18, 2008, 7:55:38 PM5/18/08
No, it doesn't mean anything. You can spew logical fallacies all day
but the long and short of it is that the poster implied that kurt had
more skill and intensity then kershner but less spirit and
sportsmanship. Which of these do you disagree with?

Through your post it would appear that you are implying it is the
skill level. I think you would have a hard time finding anyone not on
kershners team to back that up. Even kershener and his teammates may
not dispute it. Look around at all of the pre-callahan hype and no one
argues that point. But sure go ahead implying fallacious arguments.

That being said..... Kershner absolutely displayed ALL of the
attributes described for what the callahan winner should be. Thats why
he won.

Bob Koca

May 18, 2008, 8:04:46 PM5/18/08
On May 18, 10:39 am, joadnt...@ec.rr.com wrote:

> whats not to like is the fact that there is no recognition for the
> "best" player.  At least have a dual award with one going to the
> nicest guy amoungst all the best players and one going to the best
> player amoungst all the best players.  All other sports have these
> honors (but then again all other sports have refs and scoreboards) so
> why not ultimate.

Very few sports have an award for best player. Many have a most
valuable player award which is not the same.

Bob Koca

Mike Gerics

May 18, 2008, 8:30:55 PM5/18/08

> Was the Callahan always a "nice guy" award? I seem to remember some
> guy from ECU winning in 1995, and that team had a bad reputation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--HA! good one!
i don't think there was a 'callahan' for another year or two....

Ajax

May 18, 2008, 8:31:29 PM5/18/08

i"m not on Kershner's team, and watching the dgp layout at Vegas
pretty much sealed the deal for me in terms of who
had more skill.

and on the part of 'implying fallacious arguments'...
just out of curiousity... where is the logical fallacy
in my posts? if it somehow became fallacious to promote one's opinion
by backing it up with in game examples of players
who are being discussed, then I guess I'm at fault...

but last time I checked, I was the only person
on this thread who tried to objectively equate
the skill level of two players in a similar tournament
situation.

Nationals, in my opinion, is not as applicable
to determine skill levels straight up like that because
Florida and Zona had not played on the same
schedule as each other. A first round bye
was pretty clutch for Florida, and likewise, a dgp
victory over Dartmouth prolly winded Zona.

Mike Gerics

May 18, 2008, 8:59:57 PM5/18/08
>> Was the Callahan always a "nice guy" award? I seem to remember some
>> guy from ECU winning in 1995, and that team had a bad reputation.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---that MVP wasn't "callahan".........
i think that the original "ultimate talk" rsd talk show, named an Irate MVP
that season.

Anthony...@gmail.com

May 18, 2008, 9:35:23 PM5/18/08
"so that offensive bid where Loppi layed out further, over, around,
whatever you want to call it... outbid kurt gibson on double game
point... doesn't mean anything? "

it was easy to see where your logical fallacy occurred....maybe you
could just do a simple search on some common logical fallacies...here
i'll help you and post a couple of fallacies implied in your
statement.

confirmation bias (similar to observational selection): This refers to
a form of selective thinking that focuses on evidence that supports
what believers already believe while ignoring evidence that refutes
their beliefs. Confirmation bias plays a stronger role when people
base their beliefs upon faith, tradition and prejudice.

half truths (suppressed evidence): An statement usually intended to
deceive that omits some of the facts necessary for an accurate
description.

AFUltimate

May 19, 2008, 2:58:32 AM5/19/08

Thats exactly how I feel too. I think the Callahan is still the MVP
award on that basis, and I think Loppi is definitely deserving of it.
Perhaps there should be a best offensive and best defensive player
award that is based purely on statistics, but eliminating the
sportsmanship, spirit, and leadership from the Callahan doesn't make
it more of an MVP award.

Ringer

May 19, 2008, 3:02:25 AM5/19/08

those may be fallacies, but they are not logical fallacies. logical
fallacies are things like assuming the conclusion, circularity,
invalidity.

sempe...@gmail.com

May 19, 2008, 12:54:35 PM5/19/08
It's not just that he outbids Gibson on that DGP - it's that he makes
sure to shake hands with him before celebrating the biggest win in UA
history with his own teammates.

I've had the pleasure of playing either with Lop or nearby him for 5
years now, and I can't think of a guy who embodies the specific ideals
of the Callahan award more than he.

-H2AZ