Pretourney meals

devl...@dartmouth.edu

Jan 25, 2005, 11:22:08 PM1/25/05
Just wondering what people like to eat before and during big tourneys
for peak performance.

Chai

Jan 26, 2005, 1:23:25 AM1/26/05
Definitely gotta go with 2 sausage mcmuffins with egg from the ol'
McDonalds.

Wagenwheel

Jan 26, 2005, 8:28:38 AM1/26/05
My college routine (1988-1992) started with a couple sloobies in the
hotel room, one on the way to field, and a bagel and banana to curb my
munchies. Pasta the night before and Gallons of water.

jt

Jan 26, 2005, 9:33:17 AM1/26/05

devl...@dartmouth.edu wrote:
> Just wondering what people like to eat before and during big tourneys
> for peak performance.

Gotta go with the shoney breaksfast buffet washed down with 2 tallboy
budweisers...mmm mmm good.

Mike Gerics

Jan 26, 2005, 10:20:21 AM1/26/05

> Just wondering what people like to eat before and during big tourneys
> for peak performance.

~~~~~

if there ain't a Wendy's on the way...Burger King will do.

Daag Alemayehu

Jan 26, 2005, 10:26:58 AM1/26/05
When I played Savannah at Forsyth before the Church's in Kroger closed down,
breakfast was a box of fried chicken Saturday morning before the first game.

Otherwise, maybe a bagel and a few pickles, plus a ton of Gatorade or water.

Toad Leber

Jan 26, 2005, 2:00:43 PM1/26/05

<devl...@dartmouth.edu> wrote in message

> Just wondering what people like to eat before and during big tourneys
> for peak performance.

for peak performance a "zone diet" is superior, 40% carbs, 30% protien, 30%
fat.....so says the author of "The Zone"

Message has been deleted

Slow....@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2005, 2:15:19 PM1/26/05
True peak performance can be reached through the king of all breakfast
the McGriddle. I must have had like 14, one for every time I have
played up in Devens, MA. Warning: People have said that playing with
a McGriddle can feel like a brick of fat bouncing around in your
stomach.
yours, Slow White
p.s. I like to butter mine and dip in syrup much like my bacon.

Wagenwheel

Jan 26, 2005, 4:54:41 PM1/26/05
Wow Ben, I'm glad you weren't playing my heyday (if one can call it
that). I'm fired up just reading that info. I guess tubers and bagels
are a thing of the past. This is what happens when true athletes take
over ultimate. More power to you my man. Great info.

Luke Smith

Jan 26, 2005, 8:18:05 PM1/26/05

Benjamin Lloyd Wiggins wrote:
paraphrase :eat something w/ protein like 'sausage' of 'cliff bars?'''
see 'team name thread' for my take on diet.
no really, ben.
what was it like before your diet changed a couple years ago...

seems like a well thought out meal plan.

forgriddle, i think my summary of Ben would be...
'eat a varied balanced diet high in fruits and vegetables'
'don't experiment the week before/day of an important tournament'
'hydrate'
'vegetarians are actually a food, right?'

jarm...@yahoo.com

Jan 26, 2005, 9:01:08 PM1/26/05
uh, shouldnt beer be in there somewhere?

lane

Jan 27, 2005, 1:31:28 PM1/27/05
This agrees with everything I've read.

I would especially highlight the point about eating within 90 minutes of
finishing for the day. This would include after practices and during
tourney byes. The body is especially able to digest and recover glycogen
(aka energy) levels immediately after activity. To put some numbers on
it, your ability to recover glycogen levels drops by 50% in the first 90
minutes after exercise, and after two hours there is no benefit to timing
your meals.

Here's a story from a researcher here at Texas.
http://www.utexas.edu/features/archive/2004/nutrition.html

HYDRATION:
Here in Texas players start "hydrating" a week before a major
tournament. It's just required for this climate. You NW players didn't do
that for Nationals 2003, here in Austin. What's the mantra... 15-8? j/k
So, I'd suggest adding a caveat about knowing the weather/climate
conditions where you'll be playing and factor them into your prep.

Matt

> Saturday Night Meal: Recovery Mode
> One day down, one to go. You need to heal all the damage you have done
> and maximize your chances of waking up Sunday feeling good.
> Eat soon after playing. Cagging at the field is fun, but you have a
> 90-minute "glycogen window" after exercise in which to replace sugars, or
> else the body will start to break itself down to feed metabolism. If
> dinner is going to take a while, eat something right then, to stave off
> the breakdown.

Pgoss

Jan 27, 2005, 1:52:23 PM1/27/05
Actually, Wiggins did a good job getting the lone NW team prepared
physically for the climate (as for the loss, the conditions were good
for Madison's hucking game, and the Hodags came out fired up and played
an almost flawless game) - Oregon certainly can't (and hasn't) ever
tried to say it wasn't a matter of physical preparation. As someone who
knows the team and was on the sideline as a scorekeeper, they just got
beat. Unlike the previous year when Stanford blew out Madison and
Madison just looked lost (turfed throws, etc.), Oregon didn't play
badly, they just got outplayed.

As for the climate, it was the upper midwest teams who seemed (to me) to
struggle the most with the conditions, from Ohio State's fatigue (short
bench) to Carleton's emergency room adventures.

None of which contradicts your point, however. ;)

Benjamin Lloyd Wiggins

Jan 27, 2005, 2:17:14 PM1/27/05

> HYDRATION:
> Here in Texas players start "hydrating" a week before a major
> tournament. It's just required for this climate. You NW players didn't do
> that for Nationals 2003, here in Austin.

Actually, we did. we spent 2 weeks playing in "hot-suits" for at least
parts of practices to acclimate...it became a small competition to see who
could play in the most thermal underwear in 75 degree practices. We spent
about $200 bucks on cytomax and were fully hydrating a week beforehand. We
hired two assistant coaches and brought 5 tents to battle the heat. Heck,
we even wore all-white (we even offered to other teams that we would pull
to start BOTH halves if they would let us wear white, instead of our darks).
Managing the heat gave us a decided advantage over two teams we played,
Ohio State and Carleton. OSU had dudes projectile vomiting during the game
from heat exhaustion (and, I might add, returning to continue playing- dumb
but brave). Carleton had a handful of guys go to the hospital, and one was in
a coma for a short while, due to a combination of playing really hard,
being from the North, and overhydration (loss of minerals). NC State came
in as the #1 seed, but lost that as a couple key players went out with
heat exhaustion as well.
Wisconsin, on the other hand, seemed to make sure that their players
never left their shade-tents, always had a cold drink on hand, and looked
to have acclimated as well. Also, they played like a team on a mission.
You might say that the 2 most successful teams at the tournament were the
ones that spent the most time/effort on overcoming the elements.

> What's the mantra... 15-8? j/k

We were thinking of changing it to "closest final in 3 years", but that
just isn't as catchy. So, 15-8-4-LIF, yo.

> So, I'd suggest adding a caveat about knowing the weather/climate
> conditions where you'll be playing and factor them into your prep.

Agreed.

blw

G. Lewin

Jan 27, 2005, 3:29:24 PM1/27/05
Wow. That's impressive. But I'm curious: do you think (or does anyone
know) if "hot-suit" training really makes a difference? That is, does
heat training "teach" your body to manage heat better? Or is the
important thing to just manage the heat when you go to the hot climate?
I don't know if Wisconsin did any heat training, but if they didn't
their success suggests the latter is the case. Of course, with a sample
size of two, it's hard to draw any conclusions.

Sure is a long way from Natties in Phoenix ('90): "Be sure to drink some
water..."

Greg

Benjamin Lloyd Wiggins

Jan 27, 2005, 5:30:36 PM1/27/05
hey Greg,
The information we found said that training, or even just doing moderate
exercise, in high-temperature conditions can help if

1) you do it at least a week before the event
2) you don't get all overheated while doing it
3) you repeat at least 3-4 times

What we were told was that running a couple of workouts, or practices,
would help alleviate that first day problem of just feeling overwhelmed-
when your body goes into a kind of shock after a couple of games. Not
having to recover from that (basically, getting past that point during
practices) helps.
From what I gather, it helps your body shift its utilization of
fluids/minerals and acclimates your muscle fibers a bit to the new
temperature.
This is, incidentally, the exact reason that co-ed should not move to the
summer- too many people playing in hot weather that can't/don't/won't take
the necessary precautions.
bw

lane

Jan 28, 2005, 12:29:43 AM1/28/05
> Actually, we did. we spent 2 weeks playing in "hot-suits" for at least
> parts of practices to acclimate...

Sorry for jumping to conclusions. It sounds like the NW may have been
one of the few who came prepared.

Will the Wiggins family be represented at Centex this year? No
need for heat training for Austin in March. Beautiful...

Matt

Chris Van Holmes

Jan 28, 2005, 4:42:59 PM1/28/05
It's a a proven fact that heat shock proteins (The ones that shut
everything down) can be trained to enter the fray at hotter temps
with experience.

CVH
>>> Benjamin Lloyd Wiggins writes:

Benjamin> hey Greg, The information we found said that training, or
Benjamin> even just doing moderate exercise, in high-temperature
Benjamin> conditions can help if

Benjamin> 1) you do it at least a week before the event 2) you don't
Benjamin> get all overheated while doing it 3) you repeat at least
Benjamin> 3-4 times

Benjamin> What we were told was that running a couple of workouts,
Benjamin> or practices, would help alleviate that first day problem
Benjamin> of just feeling overwhelmed- when your body goes into a
Benjamin> kind of shock after a couple of games. Not having to
Benjamin> recover from that (basically, getting past that point
Benjamin> during practices) helps. From what I gather, it helps
Benjamin> your body shift its utilization of fluids/minerals and
Benjamin> acclimates your muscle fibers a bit to the new
Benjamin> temperature. This is, incidentally, the exact reason that
Benjamin> co-ed should not move to the summer- too many people
Benjamin> playing in hot weather that can't/don't/won't take the
Benjamin> necessary precautions. bw

fedec...@hotmail.com

Jan 28, 2005, 6:26:45 PM1/28/05
I live in Arizona, I do heat shock training 4-5 months out of the year.
I used to love the summer co-ed series, and miss it very much. Can the
NUA run a summer national co-ed championship, if the UPA won't do it?
Toad, are you there?

Fede

illadvis...@yahoo.com

Jan 31, 2005, 10:46:55 PM1/31/05
Actually drinking lots of water seemed to work fine at Scottsdale
(Horseworld!). Only having four trusted subs was a greater problem.
If you're not nauseous the first game, have you really had enough
pancakes, eggs and home fries to last 5 games? There's always opposing
camps on the coffee question due to its diuretic effects. One approach
that you should test for yourself because actual mileage may vary is to
go off caffeine the week before, then have two ventis the morning of.
Really. It's been disastrous for some people, and works well for me,
at least in normal weather. If cramping is ever an issue, I like to
buy a large cantaloup, have half the night before, half the morning of,
either that or actually being in running shape. Cantaloup it is!

MB

Hotpants

Jan 31, 2005, 11:46:21 PM1/31/05
I guess I don't understand this comment. If your just talking
about breakfast... then you might be right because I'm not an expert of
either restraunts breakfast menu(and you can ignore the rest of the
post). But, if your talking about the marginal utility derived from a
typical meal at Burker King, vs. the marginal utility gained from a
Wendy's meal, Burger King wins hands down. In Texas, you can get 2
tacos, a double hamburger, and 5 pc. chicken tenders for $3.22. What
can you get from Wendy's for $3.22? A jr. bacon cheesburger, medium
fries, and chili. Anybody whos had a burger king hamburger knows its
better than a wendys hamburger. And, who would want chili over a 5 pc.
chicken tender with free honey mustard? The fries might be better than
the 2 tacos, but those fries are not that good, and their only a little
better. In fact their probably the worst fries of any fast food chain.

Now, I know what your thinking... what about the spicy chicken
sandwhich. I'll admit... thats a good sandwich. But, you must buy it
with a meal(a single sandwhich will not fill you up) and cost you
around ~5.50(without the biggie size). The extra utilty gained from
the sandwhich is not worth the ~60% rise in cost. I think I've made my
point.

-jdo
texas