All Overweight Team

iris...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2007, 6:51:26 PM10/20/07
After watching the Rhino highlight video and seeing Dusty Becker make
sick play after sick play, I could only think one thing. How many
elite Ultimate players are clinicly overweight?

So I ask the Ultimate community to contribute their all overweight
team.

dnou...@yahoo.com

Oct 20, 2007, 7:34:28 PM10/20/07

Dusty's not overweight. Are you sure you're not talking about Eli
Janin? He superficially seems a bit overweight, but still kills guys
with his speed, hops, and throws. The two of them were killing
Revolver in the 1st half of their game to go at Regionals. Would be
easy to confuse with Dusty, as they do similar things out there, and
might look very similar on tape.

chris....@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2007, 10:13:43 PM10/20/07
not to be a dick, but who cares if they are overweight or not, if they
are sick ultimate players that is what matters, not what body type
they have

i know that sounds ridiculous, but there must be something better to
talk about on RSD, if nothing else just giving them respect for the
plays they made is better than saying something like they are good
ultimate players, especially considering their weight

jessica...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2007, 10:48:41 PM10/20/07
most women agree eli janin is hot... even without seeing that clip.
dusty's beard reminds me of that episode of family guy where peter
griffin grows a beard and birds start nesting in there. he's hot too.

lumberjack

Oct 20, 2007, 10:50:18 PM10/20/07
Frank cares. Frank cares and is very upset that Ultimate was not
created with his skill set in mind. Ultimate, according to Frank, was
created for non-jocks, which includes people who might be
"overweight" (whatever that term means from year to year and
organization to organization).

Frank Huguenard

Oct 20, 2007, 10:58:15 PM10/20/07

> Frank cares and is very upset that Ultimate was not
> created with his skill set in mind.

I love being misquoted.

A) My skillset is a superset of the conventional skillset, not a side set.

B) Ultimate couldn't have possibly been created with my skill set in mind,
no one had it then and no one has it now.

> Ultimate, according to Frank, was created for non-jocks

This is not according to me. This is common knowledge.

Hazera 36

Oct 20, 2007, 11:19:26 PM10/20/07
>if they
>are sick ultimate players that is what matters, not what body type
>they have
>i know that sounds ridiculous, but there must be something better to
>talk about on RSD,

WHAT!? so what might that be?
Disc-Hoops?
Central Region Trash Talk?
Fastest Disc Chugs?
Former Condors at Nationals?

I'd say overweight ultimate players is one of the more not-so-
ridiculous and interesting discussions. Something better to talk
about on RSD! Give me a break!

anyhow to contribute to this awesome discussion, I'd put Ed Van Leer
of TruckStop circa 2005(?). He's much more fit now and probably
wouldn't even make the reserve fat man squad.

Something better to talk about on RSD....WERE YOU BORN YESTERDAY!

asdf

Oct 20, 2007, 11:25:56 PM10/20/07
You are such a cocky ass.

If you skill set is, as you claim, a "superset" then I want you to
take it to the field & prove how good it is, as you have been
challenged to do many times.

If you cannot do this, then your skill set does not fit in ultimate.
If you want to change ultimate to fit your needs, then the claims we
make that you design games around yourself would seem to be as true as
I know they are.

Leonardo

Oct 21, 2007, 12:04:46 AM10/21/07
On Oct 20, 10:58 pm, "Frank Huguenard"
<fhuguenard(no_spam)@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > Ultimate, according to Frank, was created for non-jocks
>
> This is not according to me. This is common knowledge.

I am never one to support Crazy Frank, the needy, self-deluded and
comical pontificator of non-truths, non-sports and non-logic, but in
this singular instance he is partially right in that Ultimate was
indeed, according to the rules, created with "non-jocks" in mind

from Adam Zagoria's research:

An article favorable to the game in a 1975 issue of Time Magazine
labels Ultimate, "a spoof of big-time sports," and quotes the original
rules declaring that Ultimate is a game "'for the non-athletic'."

lumberjack

Oct 21, 2007, 12:05:01 AM10/21/07
Frank, you do not deny that you are upset that Ultimate was not
created with your skill set in mind. You just state that you are
misquoted. Many of your ramblings indicate that you are upset with
your perception that your skill set (such as it is) and the current
forms of winning Ultimate vis-a-vis the current rules are
incompatible.

To claim that Ultimate was created for non-jocks, as you do, is an
interpretation of history. Something accepted as "common knowledge"
does not mean that it is historical fact. Beyond that, i seriously
doubt that the majority of Ultimate players, when prompted to comment
on the origin of Ulty, would say, "oh, yeah, created in New Jersey for
non-jocks." Claiming that Ultimate was created for non-jocks is akin
to claiming the 2000 US Presidential election in Florida was fair:
that is, debatable, dubious, and almost certainly false.

On Oct 20, 9:58 pm, "Frank Huguenard"

Frank Huguenard

Oct 21, 2007, 12:09:03 AM10/21/07

> You are such a cocky ass.

Not cocky and not an ass.

> If you skill set is, as you claim, a "superset" then I want you to
> take it to the field & prove how good it is, as you have been
> challenged to do many times.

This isn't skate boarding or any other individual sport where I can just go
out and prove anything on my own. It is a screw ball, non-roster limit,
unpenalized, non-refereed excuse for competition.

It's just a simple fact. Offensively, nobody comes close to the breadth and
versatility I have. If they did, they certainly wouldn't be playing those
ridiculous offenses that they do.

> If you cannot do this, then your skill set does not fit in ultimate.

No, ultimate doesn't fit into my skillset. You've got that backwards.

> If you want to change ultimate to fit your needs, then the claims we
> make that you design games around yourself would seem to be as true as
> I know they are.

I don't want to play Ultimate. I'm just trying to help you guys get better.

When you design the rules for a sport, do you design them around the player
with the most skills or the fewest?

Pearl...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2007, 12:16:28 AM10/21/07

Define overweight:

Dibs on Sean Laing, Mike Fiedler, Carmelo Pabon, Frank Fellone if its
based on BMI alone. Nothing but blades and deep shots.

Leonardo

Oct 21, 2007, 12:18:01 AM10/21/07
some players who were NOT actually overweight, but loomed large on the
field and still dominated that come to mind (from the not-so distance
past and with East Coast point-of-view)

Carrie Berlager (sp?) aka "Burl"
Stu Downs
Gary aka First Time Gary
Fat Zack from Bashing Pinatas
Lindsay Goldsmith
that ski patrol guy built like a brick house from Idaho/Montana
Mike Gerics (noted fact: head is signficantly larger than body, like
jay leno)
Dave "Buddha" Meyers (so say)
Brian "Chester A. Garfield" Mahoney

lumberjack

Oct 21, 2007, 12:25:18 AM10/21/07
The 1st edition rules for Ultimate are here (thank you, Alan):

http://www.alanhoyle.com/ult-rules/1st_edition.pdf

Nowhere in the rules is the phrase "for the non-Athletic." If Time
Magazine claimed the original rules stated this, then Time is guilty
of shoddy reporting which in turn casts in a poor light the rest of
their article.

I'll be happy to hear evidence that Ulty was created specifically for
the non-jock (the Time article does not count until their quote is
reconciled with the "original rules"), and i can be swayed even to
accept that Ulty was created for non-jocks. Regardless, there is a
difference between historical fact and common knowledge.

p.s. Hey, Tony have you spoken w/ TommyV lately? I've been in contact
w/ him only once since he moved north...

lumberjack

Oct 21, 2007, 12:28:04 AM10/21/07
Interesting to note from the 1st edition rules: "A referee or referees
may officiate, and if so their decision must be final."

Leonardo

Oct 21, 2007, 12:36:52 AM10/21/07
On Oct 21, 12:05 am, lumberjack <samuel.b.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To claim that Ultimate was created for non-jocks, as you do, is an
> interpretation of history.

it is perhaps favorable to view the beginnings of ultimate by knowing
"the founders" (of course, keep in mind the game was brought to
fruition by a college theology student seeking a cooperative and
peaceful recess-time outlet for the high-strung high school kids he
was teaching at the time)

nonetheless, the folks who wrote down and promulgated the rules are
generally credited to be:

joel silver: good throws, body type like your basic "overweight"
endomorph, not particularly interested in sports, but quite keen on
competition and winning. aka: the non-athletic

jonny hines: athletic, talented and multi-sport, put into the rules
(and tried with varying degrees of success) to reward & promote
athleticism. aka the jock

buzzy hellring: envisoned as a creative, smart, perhaps an engineer-
type of fellow who was practical (good for ultimate) and yet liberal
(good for ultimate) who could be considered a cross between the other
two. aka, the college kid

i say envisioned because i think his personality is the least
documented of the three, and i really dont know much about him

Frank Huguenard

Oct 21, 2007, 12:43:20 AM10/21/07

> Frank, you do not deny that you are upset that Ultimate was not
> created with your skill set in mind.

No. I don't care.

Why would I be upset about that? That makes no sense.

It's not about placing blame or anything like that.

>You just state that you are
> misquoted. Many of your ramblings indicate that you are upset with
> your perception that your skill set (such as it is) and the current
> forms of winning Ultimate vis-a-vis the current rules are
> incompatible.

Really, I'm not upset.

I don't even think I'm rambling. As a historian and student of the game who
also possess what I consider advanced thinking about offensive philosophies,
I'm an outspoken critic of the UPA bylaws, the rules of Ultimate and the way
the game is played (boring and crude). That doesn't make me upset. Just
someone with a dissenting opinion making his voice heard.

> To claim that Ultimate was created for non-jocks, as you do, is an
> interpretation of history. Something accepted as "common knowledge"
> does not mean that it is historical fact. Beyond that, i seriously
> doubt that the majority of Ultimate players, when prompted to comment
> on the origin of Ulty, would say, "oh, yeah, created in New Jersey for
> non-jocks."

The majority of Ultimate players today weren't born when I started playing
Ultimate.

The demographic may be shifting over the past few years and that's a great
thing but it is a historical FACT that over 90% of the players over the
first few decades never played organized sports (JOCKS). I'm not saying
that there weren't any athletes but jocks are a different thing and we just
didn't have any (90% is being really generous but I didn't want to give
cause for attack).

> Claiming that Ultimate was created for non-jocks is akin
> to claiming the 2000 US Presidential election in Florida was fair:
> that is, debatable, dubious, and almost certainly false.

That's just not right. Intentional or not, Ultimate, the counter culture,
anti-authoritarian sport of the 70's attracted people who were not jocks.
This is a fact.

Leonardo

Oct 21, 2007, 12:54:55 AM10/21/07
On Oct 21, 12:25 am, lumberjack <samuel.b.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The 1st edition rules for Ultimate are here (thank you, Alan):
>
> http://www.alanhoyle.com/ult-rules/1st_edition.pdf
>
> Nowhere in the rules is the phrase "for the non-Athletic." If Time
> Magazine claimed the original rules stated this, then Time is guilty
> of shoddy reporting which in turn casts in a poor light the rest of
> their article.

it's there somewhere. or they quoted Joel Silver.

> I'll be happy to hear evidence that Ulty was created specifically for
> the non-jock (the Time article does not count until their quote is
> reconciled with the "original rules"), and i can be swayed even to
> accept that Ulty was created for non-jocks. Regardless, there is a
> difference between historical fact and common knowledge.

yes, i would say that it is not common knowledge

nonetheless, you may be interested to know that right away after the
first few years, a more "jock" set came to define ultimate and pass it
along, pushing for its diaspora

to from "the first four decades"

Kalb was a wiry 6-foot-1 fellow with strong disc skills, but he was no
jock. He enjoyed Ultimate's athleticism and was attracted by its
potential. He came to view the game much differently than the older
generation of Columbia players, who he felt saw it primarily as a
joke.

"My view of the sport was different than a lot of people's view of
it," he said. "For the first generation, this was a fun thing. It's a
counterculture sport, it's the anti-jock sport. That didn't fit with
me at all. My view was this is a real sport that can be played real
competitively. It can be played athletically and it has all the
elements that are necessary to become a real competitive sport like
football, basketball and soccer."

--

this was Irv Kalb talking about how he thought about Ultimate in 1970
or 71. Evidently the discussion centering around "should ultimate be

> p.s. Hey, Tony have you spoken w/ TommyV lately? I've been in contact
> w/ him only once since he moved north...

T.V. is a dangerous, dangerous drug. And right now, he's probably
bellyful of wine and weed up thar in healdsburg.

Frank Huguenard

Oct 21, 2007, 1:03:28 AM10/21/07
And this list would certainly be incomplete if you didn't include Irv Kalb,
he has the copyright on the rules in 1982 and I played with Irv here in
Silicon Valley in the early 80's until his back couldn't take the stress.
Irv was another original Columbia High School member along with Joel.

Irv was (is) a total geek. Not to say that he didn't have athletic
qualities but he's a nerdy computer scientist, was the chair of the
inaugural UPA rules committee and I suspect he had a lot to do with the UPA
Kool-Aid (The Preface). Suffice to say, Irv was no where near a Jock.

It behooves the community at large to really appreciate the birth of the
sport and understand from a historical point of view what the basis is for
the sport that they all love.

"Leonardo" <misterma...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Frank Huguenard

Oct 21, 2007, 1:05:01 AM10/21/07
Yes, and travels were turnovers.

The referee reference made it through to the 7th edition (The UPA took over
with the 8th edition).

"lumberjack" <samuel...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Frank Huguenard

Oct 21, 2007, 1:12:22 AM10/21/07
Sam,

Are you willing to concede the difference between a Jock and someone who is
athletic?

I would say that in the 1980s, the number of actual jocks in the game that I
played with/against I could count on my fingers. Hyperbole? Perhaps but I
can't emphasize enough what the scene was like back then. The fact that the
rules were designed to be 'counter-jock' was openly discussed. Everybody
was aware of this (ok, I'm guilty of my own call to 'speak for yourself'
here but seeing as how there are relatively few people around from the 80s,
I'm just using it as reference).

Ultimate was very much anti-jock. Jocks, almost by definition were (I don't
know about today) 'win at all costs'. Spirit of the Game was defined to be
against this mentality.

"lumberjack" <samuel...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Frank Huguenard

Oct 21, 2007, 1:37:09 AM10/21/07

> yes, i would say that it is not common knowledge

How cool is that?

I mean, I think this is pretty significant. We have finally discovered
something very interesting here.

It was common knowledge for a very long time that Ultimate was designed
specifically to be anti-jock.

Everyone knew it. And I mean everyone.

I've always assumed everyone still knew this. I didn't know that this
wasn't the case anymore.

As the years went on, this knowledge died off. I wonder when that happened?

And you've got Frank ranting on and on and people are wondering what the
Fuck is he talking about. 'what's his problem'?

Now, can you look at rules from this new found perspective?

No turnovers for illegally double teaming, double teaming itself being
illegal, picks being illegal, travel not being a turnover, no hard cap on
steps for traveling, out of bounds not really being out of bounds, going
back to a reasonable spot after two many steps or momentum takes you into
the endzone or OB, illegal to knock the disc out of the thrower's hand,
boxing out illegal (until the 11th edition), no penalty for offsides, no
penalty for picks.

All these very forgiving rules and I haven't even touched on personal fouls,
flagrant fouls, team fouls or fouling out.

And the very sad irony is that here we are 25 years later and jocks are
playing by the same old LAME rules!!!!

As an interesting aside, consider this. The UPA was created/born out of
this mindset and the bylaws of the UPA were a manifestation of this kind of
thinking.

Given that the rules for Ultimate were specifically designed to attract a
certain demographic (or more to the point, to not attract a certain
demographic-jocks) and that the same people who are then the constituents of
the governing body, and given that the governance and rules changes is also
done by a democracy, bringing about any kind of meaningful change in
Ultimate is practically impossible.

Vote Frank for change.

ultimatep...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2007, 5:37:49 AM10/21/07
gawd. frank is a master thread highjacker.

mapler...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2007, 6:41:07 AM10/21/07
good list Tony
I'd add:

Ironman Tom Coffin(sp?)
Rick Geyer (going way back to Tsunami 1989)
Frank Valenti
Sanj Khanna
Phily Rick forgot his last name "big Rick"

Matty "100 pound weakling" J

Mike Gerics

Oct 21, 2007, 9:00:44 AM10/21/07
> As the years went on, this knowledge died off. I wonder when that
> happened?
>
> And you've got Frank ranting on and on and people are wondering what the
> Fuck is he talking about. 'what's his problem'?
>
> Now, can you look at rules from this new found perspective?

---no.
no, i can't look at the rules differently now that someone says that the
founders originally invented the sport for nerds and geeks and non athletes.
chess was probably originally invented for some sort of
person....however....now, all sorts of people play....from inner city
schools, to inner city outdoor parks filled with old folks and homeless
weirdos, to computers, to fancy hotels....to all over the world.

so.....is there some dumbassed chess fan out there hoping to change the game
into something else?
probably not.....the chess folks probably just know the rules...and
encourage everyone to play.

Mike Gerics

Oct 21, 2007, 9:02:42 AM10/21/07
> I would say that in the 1980s, the number of actual jocks in the game that
> I played with/against I could count on my fingers. Hyperbole? Perhaps but
> I can't emphasize enough what the scene was like back then. The fact that
> the rules were designed to be 'counter-jock' was openly discussed.
> Everybody was aware of this (ok, I'm guilty of my own call to 'speak for
> yourself' here but seeing as how there are relatively few people around
> from the 80s, I'm just using it as reference).
>
> Ultimate was very much anti-jock. Jocks, almost by definition were (I
> don't know about today) 'win at all costs'. Spirit of the Game was
> defined to be against this mentality.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---you could say the same for soccer in the 80s.
they didn't go and change the sport so that jocks could start playing.

Mike Gerics

Oct 21, 2007, 9:06:24 AM10/21/07
> Mike Gerics (noted fact: head is signficantly larger than body, like
> jay leno)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

----my head, so that those that haven't seen me know....is not oversized
like Jay Leno.

and it's not "weight"........it's 'grown man strength'......thank you very
much.

Mike Gerics

Oct 21, 2007, 9:06:50 AM10/21/07
> Phily Rick forgot his last name "big Rick"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fat rick.

Frank Huguenard

Frank Huguenard

Oct 21, 2007, 10:25:50 AM10/21/07

"Mike Gerics" <mge...@ec.rr.com> wrote in message

I want to thank you Mike for really driving home my point here.

This kind of closed minded unwillingness to change is exactly why the game
remains stagnant and boring.

The rule of ultimate are lame because they were designed specifically for
lame-o's. Get over it.

Frank Huguenard

Oct 21, 2007, 10:27:49 AM10/21/07

> ---you could say the same for soccer in the 80s.
> they didn't go and change the sport so that jocks could start playing.

Soccer is the number one team sport in the world and yet no jocks played the
game in the 80's?

Have another glass Mike, with a twist.

Leonardo

Oct 21, 2007, 11:05:57 AM10/21/07
On Oct 21, 1:03 am, "Frank Huguenard"

<fhuguenard(no_spam)@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> And this list would certainly be incomplete if you didn't include Irv Kalb,
> he has the copyright on the rules in 1982 and I played with Irv here in
> Silicon Valley in the early 80's until his back couldn't take the stress.
> Irv was another original Columbia High School member along with Joel.

i believe he was the second generation, a group of kids playing down
the street from the original CHS class. Therefore hs wasn't amont the
"original" guys and gals who played

Frank Huguenard

Oct 21, 2007, 11:32:09 AM10/21/07
That's right, he wasn't there in 1968.

However, he was very instrumental in the late 70s early 80s in the early
bureaucracy of the UPA and creation of the Kool-aid.

"Leonardo" <misterma...@gmail.com> wrote in message

MrP...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2007, 11:41:44 AM10/21/07
> The rule of ultimate are lame because they were designed specifically for
> lame-o's. Get over it.

"Get over it." How delightfully condescending.

More importantly, isn't it clear that it's you who hasn't gotten over
it? Everyone else seems to be out there playing and having a good
time. I think you're the only one agonizing over how the first
paragraph of the preamble prohibits you from turning Ulti into
basketball (perish the thought).

~p

Frank Huguenard

Oct 21, 2007, 11:57:37 AM10/21/07

> More importantly, isn't it clear that it's you who hasn't gotten over
> it? Everyone else seems to be out there playing and having a good
> time.

Ignorance is bliss eh Pinto?

>I think you're the only one agonizing over how the first
> paragraph of the preamble prohibits you from turning Ulti into
> basketball (perish the thought).

No, actually it's the UPA bylaws that prevents any change from occurring and
no, I'm certainly not agonizing but I do feel sorry for all the jocks who
play ultimate now and have to put up with a set of rules designed for
dweebs.

Ultimate truly is the revence of the Nerds. It's too bad you don't
understand it (or maybe you do and you like it this way).

> ~p

MrP...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2007, 12:52:30 PM10/21/07
> > More importantly, isn't it clear that it's you who hasn't gotten over
> > it? Everyone else seems to be out there playing and having a good
> > time.
>
> Ignorance is bliss eh Pinto?

Perhaps. Or maybe we understand what you're saying, but we've "gotten
over it?"

> No, actually it's the UPA bylaws that prevents any change from occurring and
> no, I'm certainly not agonizing but I do feel sorry for all the jocks who
> play ultimate now and have to put up with a set of rules designed for
> dweebs.

Poor jocks. They're big boys (and girls) who can make their own
decisions, with or without your patronizing concern for their athletic
welfare. Out of curiosity, do you view yourself as a jock, a dweeb,
or some third category?

> Ultimate truly is the revence of the Nerds. It's too bad you don't
> understand it (or maybe you do and you like it this way).

I have nothing against nerds, if that's what you mean. Do I think
it's cool that Ultimate has become a reasonably popular sport while
still retaining a bit of its counter-culture past? Yeah, I kinda do.
Maybe Ulti will "grow out" of SOTG some day and blend back in with the
rest of the sporting world. That'll teach those nerds!

~p

Frank Huguenard

Oct 21, 2007, 1:23:45 PM10/21/07

>> Ignorance is bliss eh Pinto?
>
> Perhaps. Or maybe we understand what you're saying, but we've "gotten
> over it?"

Then why do you insist on playing with training wheels on?

Do you realize how ridiculous athletes like damien scott and alex nord look
playing a game that has training wheels built into it?

You obviously do not understand. It's like thousands of grown adults
riding bikes with training wheels all saying "we like this, it's a lot of
fun and Frank, stop badgering us and telling us it's more fun without
training wheels, you're obviousliy just a bitter old ass with nothing better
to do than bother us".

No, I'm trying to help you take the training wheels off. The problem is
that the UPA was created in a way that removing the training wheels is
practically impossible.

>> No, actually it's the UPA bylaws that prevents any change from occurring
>> and
>> no, I'm certainly not agonizing but I do feel sorry for all the jocks who
>> play ultimate now and have to put up with a set of rules designed for
>> dweebs.
>
> Poor jocks. They're big boys (and girls) who can make their own
> decisions, with or without your patronizing concern for their athletic
> welfare.

It's not patronizing. I'm running for a board seat on the UPA's board and
I'm pandering to athletes who are tired of the game being governed by people
who believe that training wheels are a really good idea in sports.

> Out of curiosity, do you view yourself as a jock, a dweeb,
> or some third category?

I'm a renascence man.

>> Ultimate truly is the revence of the Nerds. It's too bad you don't
>> understand it (or maybe you do and you like it this way).
>
> I have nothing against nerds, if that's what you mean. Do I think
> it's cool that Ultimate has become a reasonably popular sport while
> still retaining a bit of its counter-culture past?

How funny is that. The only thing left from the counter culture past is the
training wheels and you're glorifying that.

> Yeah, I kinda do.
> Maybe Ulti will "grow out" of SOTG some day and blend back in with the
> rest of the sporting world. That'll teach those nerds!

Spirit of The Game is NOT the problem. It's the training wheels. The
training wheels have nothing to do with SOTG.

> ~p

boriskat

Oct 21, 2007, 2:01:28 PM10/21/07
On Oct 21, 2:37 am, ultimatephotogra...@gmail.com wrote:
> gawd. frank is a master thread highjacker.

no doubt. Can we get back to how sick Eli and Dusty are?

mapler...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2007, 5:13:34 PM10/21/07

i'd rather get back to the fat guys who tire quickly and hang around
the disc too much, you know guys like Frank who play dischoops instead
and want the rules changed so there's more cool looking throws and
less full field running.
I'm someitmes called "fatty" too but for a very different reason.

btw it's renaissance

Fatty J

Mike Gerics

Oct 21, 2007, 9:13:59 PM10/21/07
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---soccer puffs were playing soccer back then.....the football team was
making fun of them.
are you kidding?

Mike Gerics

Oct 21, 2007, 9:18:44 PM10/21/07

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> I want to thank you Mike for really driving home my point here.
>
> This kind of closed minded unwillingness to change is exactly why the game
> remains stagnant and boring.
>
> The rule of ultimate are lame because they were designed specifically for
> lame-o's. Get over it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---uhm......franklin, i don't see how what i wrote drives your point home.
don't you just say that about everyone that replies to your posts??????
you write something, someone replies...and you say, 'that just proves my
cool ade point'

i don't see where what i wrote is supporting your idea that ultimate's rules
are lame.

i completely enjoy the ultimate's rules and was supporting not changing
chess's rules because all sorts of people play chess....

you're weird.

Mike Gerics

Oct 21, 2007, 9:23:58 PM10/21/07

> You obviously do not understand. It's like thousands of grown adults
> riding bikes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---bike riding is lame and based on lies.
i am going to change the rules of bike riding so that everyone rides into
oncoming traffic.
from now on the turn signal will be made with the right arm...and the
signals will be opposite of the old.

Finucane

Oct 22, 2007, 1:07:55 AM10/22/07
On Oct 21, 6:00 am, "Mike Gerics" <mger...@ec.rr.com> wrote:

> so.....is there some dumbassed chess fan out there hoping to change the game
> into something else?
> probably not.....the chess folks probably just know the rules...and
> encourage everyone to play.

Bad example. All kinds of chess players and fans are trying to make
variations of the rules the new int'l standard for competition. The
way the game works now is players gain advantage by memorizing a whole
bunch of opening moves. The new variations try to randomize the
initial positions, or otherwise reduce the importance of knowing
standard moves. The games are boring to watch, with the same offensive
sets from the last 150 years played out over and over again, using a
fraction of the chess skills available, etc, etc.

Incidentally, that complete psycho antisemite 9-11 conspiracy theorist
Bobby Fischer is one of the loudest proponents of changing the rules
this way.

mapler...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2007, 6:49:41 AM10/22/07
exactly the same at my school and most others in the late 70's early
80's.
matter of fact, when we wanted to start an ultimate team and couldn't
get enough nerds/dweebs/nonathletes we recruited from the soccer team.
at least the soccer team only got laughed at, the ultimate team got
laughed at and beat up by the football team. but now I'm laughing cuz
i've met some of those football players 28 years later and they are
the nonatletes now and I have transformed from nonathlete to athlete
for life..... all because I decided to play ultimate.

MJ

Mike Gerics

Oct 22, 2007, 9:21:16 AM10/22/07
Bad example. All kinds of chess players and fans are trying to make
> variations of the rules the new int'l standard for competition. The
> way the game works now is players gain advantage by memorizing a whole
> bunch of opening moves. The new variations try to randomize the
> initial positions, or otherwise reduce the importance of knowing
> standard moves. The games are boring to watch, with the same offensive
> sets from the last 150 years played out over and over again, using a
> fraction of the chess skills available, etc, etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

----can the King airbrush his way upfield now?

casey...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2007, 11:54:47 AM10/22/07
On Oct 20, 9:13 pm, chris.cor...@gmail.com wrote:
> not to be a dick, but who cares if they are overweight or not, if they
> are sick ultimate players that is what matters, not what body type
> they have
>
> i know that sounds ridiculous, but there must be something better to
> talk about on RSD, if nothing else just giving them respect for the
> plays they made is better than saying something like they are good
> ultimate players, especially considering their weight

are you serious I love talking about men's body types in my free
time.

Casey boy

Peter Mc

Oct 22, 2007, 11:59:29 AM10/22/07
Hey Lumberjack,

You may have figured this out already....

I believe these guys are referring to the rules which Columbia HS
students in New Jersey first typed up. Not the UPA first edition.

For several years the Columbia HS printed and handed out or sold these
small rules brochures for around $0.20.

Several versions (3-4?) of the rules pamphlet were printed but I don't
think the rules varied much between editions of the pamphlets. Maybe a
sentence or two....but primarily just images on the brochures varied
Slightly.

Images of the CHS brochure(s) are in the Big book (Ultimate: The First
4 Decades).

We do have originals of the CHS pamphlets in the MDSC holdings. Plus
the original correspondence between those early players and Wham-O
Inc. They got permission from Wham-O to use the word Frisbee in the
pamphlets.

Not the UPA 1st edition rules, etc.

Have a Good Day on That End,
Peter Mc

MDSC
Columbia, MO
http://whmc.umsystem.edu/mdsc

Frank Huguenard

Oct 22, 2007, 1:37:44 PM10/22/07
No Peter,

There is no difference. The prevailing philosophy was basically the same.
I was there. This philosophy permeated the culture throughout the 80's and
well into the 90's.

"Peter Mc" <mcca...@umsystem.edu> wrote in message

werbs

Oct 22, 2007, 2:04:40 PM10/22/07
On Oct 22, 1:37 pm, "Frank Huguenard"

<fhuguenard(no_spam)@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> No Peter,
>
> There is no difference. The prevailing philosophy was basically the same.
> I was there. This philosophy permeated the culture throughout the 80's and
> well into the 90's.
>
> "Peter Mc" <mccart...@umsystem.edu> wrote in message

> > Hey Lumberjack,
>
> > You may have figured this out already....
>
> > I believe these guys are referring to the rules which Columbia HS
> > students in New Jersey first typed up. Not the UPA first edition.
>
> > For several years the Columbia HS printed and handed out or sold these
> > small rules brochures for around $0.20.
>
> > Several versions (3-4?) of the rules pamphlet were printed but I don't
> > think the rules varied much between editions of the pamphlets. Maybe a
> > sentence or two....but primarily just images on the brochures varied
> > Slightly.
>
> > Images of the CHS brochure(s) are in the Big book (Ultimate: The First
> > 4 Decades).
>
> > We do have originals of the CHS pamphlets in the MDSC holdings. Plus
> > the original correspondence between those early players and Wham-O
> > Inc. They got permission from Wham-O to use the word Frisbee in the
> > pamphlets.
>
> > Not the UPA 1st edition rules, etc.
>
> > Have a Good Day on That End,
> > Peter Mc
>
> > MDSC
> > Columbia, MO
> >http://whmc.umsystem.edu/mdsc- Hide quoted text -

Me wonders if it is wasn't Irv et. al. that came up with the moniker
CrazyFrank... I suspect they were just as annoyed with you as the
rest of us.

jacob...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2007, 3:58:55 PM10/22/07
Mike Gerics was not overweight in his prime, so he should not be
allowed on this list. Anybody can get fat after their prime and still
keep playing. What makes players like Dusty and Eli Jannin (and old
school players like Big Rick and Fat Gary) so great is that they are/
were balling in their prime while carrying extra pounds. Nuff
respect. It's a hard enough game when you're skinny. That Matty J
guy from NYNY's glory days wasn't shit until he got liposuction in
'89.

Handy

Oct 22, 2007, 5:22:31 PM10/22/07
On Oct 21, 6:41 am, maplerowf...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Oct 21, 12:18 am, Leonardo <mistermalcont...@gmail.com> wrote:> some players who were NOT actually overweight, but loomed large on the
> > field and still dominated that come to mind (from the not-so distance
> > past and with East Coast point-of-view)
>
> > Carrie Berlager (sp?) aka "Burl"
> > Stu Downs
> > Gary aka First Time Gary
> > Fat Zack from Bashing Pinatas
> > Lindsay Goldsmith
> > that ski patrol guy built like a brick house from Idaho/Montana

> > Mike Gerics (noted fact: head is signficantly larger than body, like
> > jay leno)
> > Dave "Buddha" Meyers (so say)
> > Brian "Chester A. Garfield" Mahoney
>
> good list Tony
> I'd add:
>
> Ironman Tom Coffin(sp?)
> Rick Geyer (going way back to Tsunami 1989)
> Frank Valenti
> Sanj Khanna

> Phily Rick forgot his last name "big Rick"
>
> Matty "100 pound weakling" J

Jake Goldstein looks like he's carrying a bit too much around the
field, he's gotta be on it

Peter Mc

Oct 22, 2007, 5:31:28 PM10/22/07
Frank,

You sound like the seasonal "crazed preacher" on a college
campus...telling all the kids they are going to hell in a hand
basket.

Best of luck. Get some sleep.

Later,
Peter Mc

Monohan

Oct 22, 2007, 7:20:36 PM10/22/07
On Oct 22, 1:31 pm, Peter Mc <mccart...@umsystem.edu> wrote:
> Frank,
>
> You sound like the seasonal "crazed preacher" on a college
> campus...telling all the kids they are going to hell in a hand
> basket.

That's it! I knew I'd seem him before. He was at the OSU Quad in
Corvallis in 1994. Stayed for three days, which was about 4 days too
long. Used to walk with a staff made out of pvc. Must have figured
out how to join several 'staffs' together to make a hoop.

Monohan

Mike Gerics

Oct 22, 2007, 8:53:29 PM10/22/07

> Mike Gerics was not overweight in his prime, so he should not be
> allowed on this list. Anybody can get fat after their prime and still
> keep playing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---i'm sure.....that the above is not saying that mike gerics either got
far...or is past his prime.

bradbu...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2007, 6:43:59 AM10/23/07
i have read little to none of this thread but would gladly nominate
connor "fat-boy" maloney for the All-Time All-Fat Team.
.

vbb25i...@hotmail.com

Oct 24, 2007, 1:18:26 AM10/24/07
Nealworld, as president of the scale, presents the most versatilistic
gravitational pull back to earth, has earned the cheeseburger, and
deserves not only MVP of any Fat Team, if you wish to call it that,
but recognition as the greatest person to ever have competitively
attempted to complete frisbone throws for points. On grass
nonetheless.