League Play - teammates

ultimate7

Jun 2, 2006, 3:11:19 PM6/2/06
I've played and captained in leagues for about 11 years so I've had a
lot of teammates. Today I got this email from a teammate that I'm
about to have and decided to post it here because of how
interesting/sincere/humorous it is, I don't think I've ever had someone
go into such detail about their Ultimate abilities, if this person
happens to read it (unlikely), I want you to know I'm not making fun of
you, but just like the way you were so blunt with some stuff like "I'm
relatively easily skyed", anyhow here it is:

Some of you might know me from this league or from XXXX... Since I
missed the
first league game by being in Atlanta, I thought I'd give a little
introduction
about my playing capabilities and style in case it helps anyone make
any
tactical decisions during play - anyone who WANTS to think about
tactics.
Otherwise ignore it - I'm playing for fun, and don't let this email
confuse you
about that.

I'm happy to have someone yell clear, loud directions to me to go a
certain way,
and I'll do my best to follow them, but I'm sometimes stupid while
running.
Except for such stupidity I have a reasonable knowledge of basics -
stack,
cutting, clearing, swinging, dumping, forcing, man defense and a basic
cup-zone.
Zero knowledge of anything more advanced.

My handling is mediocre at very short distances and terrible at medium
or long
distances, in wind, etc. But my righty forehand, backhand, and
hammer all
have a pretty similar amount of swill. I'm happy to dump but patient,
so I
don't usually look for the dump on low counts unless you call for it,
loudly,
which is recommended. Because of my poor accuracy, I will generally
only throw
if you are more than barely open or there is a nice space on your side
of your
defender - so I don't throw it to your defender accidentally. I will
sometimes
make a risky throw to a wide-open space if the only option I _see_ is a
MORE
risky (for me) throw to a narrow hole. If I'm thinking clearly I'll
make a
downwind throw above all else, because a little upwind or crosswind
makes me go
from poor to awful.

You will never get a huck out of me, even if I tried. If there is a
lot of
congestion on the force side and I'm holding it, be aware of the short
breakside
hammer to an open space - it's bad, but not worse on average than my
other
throws.

I have the biggest Ultimate scar I've yet seen, and I got it on these
fields, in
this league. This is probably related to me spending a fair bit of
time hitting
the ground : )

I'm relatively easily skyed.

My average speed is moderate, but my peak sprint is pretty slow and I
can't
reverse direction quickly. Defended by most players I will never make
the early
in short cut unless they fall for a deep fake, because I can generally
never get
open on it otherwise and my reverse for clearing out isn't zippy. If
you don't
see me making this cut, it's probably because I couldn't get my
defender to lean
the other way.

I'm tired immediately, but I don't get that much MORE tired as the game
goes on
- feel free to ask me to step out if you want in, and ask me to come in
if you
want out.

If you put it, I will try to run down a disc I think I might possibly
get in any
direction. An offensive strategy that is historically fairly
successful for me
personally is a put to a wide open space that I'll run down, especially
followed
by yelling my name. At pickup, Brad essentially taught me how to cut
by
exploiting this and just putting it wherever I should've been cutting,
even when
I had no idea where that was.

See you all in a few days,

PeterD...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2006, 4:13:31 PM6/2/06
that is magical.

it could be made in to a short film or work of fiction. the character
is perfectly described.

""My average speed is moderate, but my peak sprint is pretty slow...""

average is moderate. I like that.

thanks for posting this

Judd

Jun 2, 2006, 5:13:13 PM6/2/06
Got all that, Captain?

Wagenwheel

Jun 3, 2006, 11:30:52 AM6/3/06
If only all players understood their game so well. Classic.
Message has been deleted