Ultimate Fitness Training

Evan Pearce

May 12, 2003, 1:32:38 PM5/12/03
Posting for a friend please reply to him:

Does anybody know of anything written on the type of fitness training
recommended for Ultimate? Anything on the web, or that somebody could email
me?

This could be general or with specific workouts, I suppose. If there's
nothing already out there, anyone want to write a masterpiece and shoot it
my way?

Trying to help the Mexicans develop their game...

Cheers,
Angel

please send individual replies to chris....@stanfordalumni.org

Chester Copperpot

May 12, 2003, 4:54:29 PM5/12/03
I'm interested in this too, so can responses either be posted to here,
or emailed to me as well? Also, more specifically, are there any Plyo
programs that are recommended or developed for ultimate?

Elizabeth Murray

May 12, 2003, 5:22:04 PM5/12/03
Have you seen this one?

From the Ottawa-Carleton Ultimate Association
http://www.ocua.ca/misc/readingrm.html

Ultimate Conditioning Program
Fuse's own Julie Smith-Drury has come up with a conditioning program
designed specifically for ultimate players. Requires Adobe Acrobat

http://www.ocua.ca/misc/ucp_v1_0.pdf

discface

May 13, 2003, 3:30:47 AM5/13/03
jump rope.
frog

Louis

May 13, 2003, 11:26:32 AM5/13/03
mw5...@albany.edu (Chester Copperpot) wrote in message news:<73fe8815.03051...@posting.google.com>...

> I'm interested in this too, so can responses either be posted to here,
> or emailed to me as well? Also, more specifically, are there any Plyo
> programs that are recommended or developed for ultimate?

You can find a lot of good information at http://www.ultylife.com/health/index.php

- Joe's Brother

Nick Gorevic

May 13, 2003, 1:26:28 PM5/13/03
Check out:

http://www.charliefrancis.com/

and

http://t-mag.com/

The problem I have is that any kind of conditioning program geared
towards ultimate that I've seen has been designed by an amateur
athlete. If you want to train with the latest scientific advances,
things that professional soccer, football, and hockey players use,
then read everything those two sites have to offer and you'll have a
better idea of how to train.

Nick

frog...@hotmail.com (discface) wrote in message news:<fff91ea8.03051...@posting.google.com>...
> jump rope.
> frog

Manzell B

May 14, 2003, 9:38:03 PM5/14/03
> Does anybody know of anything written on the type of fitness training
> recommended for Ultimate? Anything on the web, or that somebody could email
> me?

Well, you need to evaluate your goals. Generally, most people want to
do two things during fitness training for ultimate:

1 - increase endurance
2 - increase speed

This process takes awhile. generally, you start by building your
endurance with longer or harder runs (getting your "base"). For your
average non x-country vet, this means running 10 - 15 miles a week for
about a month... break it down into shorter runs - 2 or 3 miles at a
decent pace, and 5 miler at a slower pace. Also, you need to have
"track days" where you run repeats at a certain distance. six repeats
of 600 meters at a decent pace (120 - 140 seconds for men) will kick
most peoples butts. Make sure to allow for enough rest between
repeats. If you are too tired to maintain form you arent doing
anything for yourself and only increasing you chance of injury.

Once you have a base you will be strong enough to start running
sprint workouts. Rolling mile is good... on the track, spring 100
meters at fast, almost top speed pace. jog the next 100 to recover,
and then sprint the next 100, then jog 100 again. repeat 4 times. In
speed workouts your focus is on having proper form and reaching your
top speed, not so much about getting a "workout".

Another note... some people might suggest that you run 10-15 meter
sprints because that is what you do in ultimate. don't do it. It's a
torn hamstring waiting to happen. If you are ever running less that
50 meters you better be starting out of blocks. Lastly, make sure to
properly warm up and warm down each time. this should be a 30-40% of
the time you spend working out in warmups, stretching, drills, and
warmdown. Properly run drills are literally fifty percent of
increasing your speed. The A and B series are my favorites