pre-season conditioning

Lindsey Warfel

Nov 13, 2002, 2:32:49 PM11/13/02
Hey guys-

I am the captain of a team that does not have access to fields in the
winter months, and I was looking for any advice on conditioning
workouts for the winter. any suggestions??

Linds

DaytonDiscKing

Nov 13, 2002, 10:50:05 PM11/13/02
Winter, eh? Ever seen Rocky IV?

dmel...@mail.utexas.edu

Nov 13, 2002, 11:00:01 PM11/13/02
Plyos might be a good way to go. If your school has a good rec
facility, it might have an indoor track which you could get endless
use out of. You can do lots of stuff on basketball courts, ie
shuttles, short sprints, cutting. Just a few suggestions. Try and
avoid lots of hard surfaces (like concrete), so your players don't
have shin splints at the start of spring... gotta save those for
naty's. Good luck!

~David

Aaron Bell

Nov 14, 2002, 2:53:12 AM11/14/02
>looking for any advice on conditioning workouts for the winter.

Hey Linds,

This is a little somethin' I found in the underground grapevine.
We've been doin' it, and its a pretty sweet workout to stay committed
to. This....and advanced tae-bo (trust me, you're ass will never hurt
so much). Aight, here goes:

Good luck with it,
Werd...
~Aaron Bell
PLU Reign
you.gotta.want.it.!.

Gentlemen,

This is not that hard, but can do a lot for you if you complete it.
Don't be scared away. Vets: this is very different from last year's
schedule.

Print this out now, while you are near a printer. Then you can just
flip to the schedule every morning to get your workout.

What follows is a workout schedule for your Winter break. Each day has
Been assigned a number which corresponds to a specific workout listed
at the end of the email. The first day of your Winter workouts is this
Friday and the last day is January 13 (the day before our first Spring
practice).
These can all be done regardless of how much snow is on the ground or
how cold it is.
Sack UP!

If you follow the schedule (hell, half the days are either rest days
or days of only light jogging), I guarantee that you will have worked
harder than any single person on any other college team. Think about
that. The workouts take less than 70 minutes to complete. You can
easily squeeze that in during the day even if you are working over
break.

I encourage those of you who live near others to get together for the
workouts and get some throwing in with your running. Guys that are new
to the team should not feel the least bit hesitant to call a veteran
to work out. We are all teammates here. Tater has even volunteered to
do the workouts 3 or 4 times a day just so he can run with every
rookie.

Mentally, being a team of hard-running motherfuckers is huge. Nothing
can boost your confidence and decision-making quite like knowing that
the guy you line up against at tournaments is more tired than you are,
and CANNOT keep up with you.

Extensive conditioning is something we just don't have time to do at
practice. Getting into great shape takes more than two and a half
hours, three times a week. It is something you have to do on your own
because you love the game, you love the team, and you are willing to
do what it takes to win.

Disclaimers: Stretching is THE most important thing you can do to
avoid injury. Don't skimp on the stretching time listed in the
workouts.
"Slow jog" means slow jog. Wear good shoes. Eat well. Shin splints go
away if you keep running. Don't forget to brush your teeth.

Day 1: Workout #1
Day 2: Workout # 6
Day 3: Workout # 2
Day 4: Workout # 7
Day 5: Workout # 1
Day 6: Workout # 3
Day 7: Workout # 4
Day 8: Workout # 7
Day 9: Workout # 2
Day 10: Workout # 5
Day 11: Workout # 7
Day 12: Workout # 1
Day 13: Workout # 6
Day 14: Workout # 3
Day 15: Workout # 4
Day 16: Workout # 7
Day 17: Workout # 5
Day 18: Workout # 1
Day 19: Workout # 7
Day 20: Workout # 5
Day 21: Workout # 2
Day 22: Workout # 1
Day 23: Workout # 4
Day 24: Workout # 3
Day 25: Workout # 7
Day 26: Workout # 2
Day 27: Workout # 1
Day 28: Workout # 2
Day 29: Workout # 3
Day 30: Workout # 1
Day 31: Workout # 4
Day 32: Workout # 2

Workout #1: JOGGING
* 20 minutes of slow jogging
* 15 minutes of stretching

Workout #2: JUMPING
* 10 minutes slow jog
* stretch
- Take as much rest in-between the following plyos as you need -
* 2 X 100 meter stride
* 2 X 100 meter sprint (75%)
* Slow Lunges: 10 each leg
* 10 frog jumps
* 5 tuck jumps and 5 calf raises (start with feet flat on the ground
and rise up onto your toes, hold for 3 seconds)
* Fast Lunges: 10 each leg
* 10 Double Jumps (start on chair or second step, jump up as high as
you can, land on ground and absorb with bent legs until your fingers
touch the ground and immediately jump up again as high as you can)
* 5 tuck jumps and 5 calf raises
* stretch

Workout #3: LATERAL
* 10 minutes slow jog
* stretch
- Again, take as much rest as you need in-between plyos -
* 2 x 100 meter stride
* 10 knee bends (stay on your toes)
* 30 seconds of Shuttles (place two markers about 10 meters apart,
start on one side and move sideways back and forth between the markers
staying crouched low to the ground, touch the ground next to each
marker as you change direction, see how many lengths you complete in
the time given)
* 1-legged jumps: 5 each leg (stand on one leg with bent knee, jump
and land while staying up on your toes, absorb landing with bent leg)
* 10 lateral jumps (side to side over a shoe box, legs together or
alternating leg)
* 30 seconds of Shuttles (this time spin and face the other direction
as you touch the ground at each end)
* 1-legged jumps: 10 each leg
* Balancing: 2 minutes each leg (stand flat-footed on one leg with
slight knee bend, maintain balance while moving arms and free leg in
circles)
* stretch

Workout #4: SPRINTING
* 5 minute jog
* stretch
* 2 X 100 meter strides
* 2 X 100 meter sprint (75%)
* Fast high knees for 20 seconds
* Butt Kicks for 20 seconds (try to dig your toe into the ground
before you kick, as if you were trying to kick up some dirt like a
bull about to charge)
* 50 meter sprint followed immediately by fast lunges (10 each leg)
and calf raises (10)
* walk or jog for 90 seconds
* 50 meter sprint followed immediately by fast lunges (10 each leg)
and calf raises (10)
* walk or jog for 90 seconds
* 50 meter sprint followed immediately by fast lunges (10 each leg)
and calf raises (10)
* walk or jog for 90 seconds
* 50 meter sprint followed immediately by fast lunges (10 each leg)
and calf raises (10)
* walk or jog for 90 seconds
* Butt Kicks for 20 seconds
* stretch

Workout #5: FAST FEET
* 10 minute slow jog
* stretch
* 2 X 100 meter stride
* Fast high knees for 20 seconds
* Butt Kicks for 20 seconds
* 1-legged jumps: 10 each leg (side to side over a stapler or shoe,
as
fast as you can)
* 20 calf raises
* Fast high knees for 20 seconds
* Butt Kicks for 20 seconds
* 1-legged jumps: 10 each leg (side to side over a stapler or shoe,
as
fast as you can)
* Fast high knees for 20 seconds
* stretch

Workout #6: DEALER'S CHOICE
* Engage in an activity that involves lateral movement or thigh work
such as basketball, rollerblading, racquetball, volleyball, skiing,
snowboarding, hockey, hiking, etc. Don't even think of having fun
while doing this.

Workout #7: REST
* Rest day
* Eat lots of food
* Stretch

Have a good break, Lads.

p.s.. call or email with any questions about the workouts or the
schedule

Chris

Nov 14, 2002, 1:34:03 PM11/14/02
Could someone please explain the following excercises....I have an
idea of what each of them could be but I'm not really sure.

100 meter stride
slow/fast lunges (in place or walking?)
frog jumps
tuck jumps
knee bends

Thanks,
Chris

PW

Nov 15, 2002, 1:16:35 PM11/15/02
Back when I was a freshman, we played Friday or Saturday night in the
fieldhouse. My sophomore year Heckman's offensive language perturbed
someone at club sports, we lost any use of the indoor "field", and
were relegated to doing sprints on the track. You might be able to use
the field by now. Intermural basketball is always another good
pre-season conditioner.

Jacob

Nov 19, 2002, 1:14:11 AM11/19/02
Because of my crappy knees, I'm taking time off from running during
the off season. We have pretty good pool facilities here, and I was
wondering if anyone knew what kind of shallow water exercises I could
do. I'd like to do some cardio, but mostly strength building. I see
people playing with equipment like finger webbing and such.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-j

funktekk

Nov 19, 2002, 9:38:50 AM11/19/02
I like to have my team play basketball in the off season but without
dribbling. It seems to work on flow and cutting, two things that are
really hard to engrain in a young players mind.

Andy Tolhurst

Nov 19, 2002, 10:01:50 AM11/19/02
I like to play a lot of golf but without using the fairway (or as little as
possible). Builds mental toughness. Anyone can score low with good looks
from the center cut.

"funktekk" <pa...@drexel.edu> wrote in message

Bang

Nov 19, 2002, 11:43:09 AM11/19/02
When I had trouble with a pulled hammy and other nagging injuries last
winter my pt advised that swimming itself is one of the most
"transferable" rehab exercises you can do-- better than bike, elliptical
track, etc. There are also a number of underwater plyos, e.g. skipping,
jumping, striding,... that are also good low-impact alternatives. I've
never used finger webbing, but pulls (swimming with a bouy between your
legs for just arms) and kicks are good. Just don't think that low impact
means you don't have to stretch, b/c you WILL cramp up. Find a time when
the pool is not crowded for the underwater plyos, though, since they kinda
disturb the water and that ain't cool for the 65-year old dude trying to
do laps right next to you.

chewie

Nov 19, 2002, 7:24:10 PM11/19/02
using water as resistance is a very good method for rehabilitating an
injury as it applies just enough constant extra pressure to stimulate
faster recovery. and no one can really debate that swimming is great
for cardio and endurance, however, it takes away from your quicks. by
emphesizing slow twitch muscle fibers rather than fast twitch muscle
fibers.

practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. you
ought stick to the medium you're going to compete in (air).

chewie

chollaball

Nov 20, 2002, 10:27:31 AM11/20/02
i swim a lot after a tourney or the day between practices--its a great
way to loosen everything up without impact.

for rehab, kick laps using a form that works the muscle group
similarly to a machine. use a kickboard, and dont worry about not
being in a "swimming" posture. great for simulating hamstring curls
and quad lifts. its worked well for me rehabbing hammy pulls, and
after knee surgery. groin and hips can be worked with more
traditional swimming strokes.

laps at an easy pace is not a sprint workout, but you can mix in
sprint sets or increase the strokes between breathes to really work
your cardio and faster muscles.

buoy between your legs, kicking only, or hand web all build strength.
the aerobics classes tend to not be a very good workout (least in my
gym) but the exercises use all the major muscles.

jason

Andy Tolhurst

Nov 20, 2002, 12:37:33 PM11/20/02

"chewie" <vinnit...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

however, it takes away from your quicks. by
> emphesizing slow twitch muscle fibers rather than fast twitch muscle
> fibers.

The idea that swimming or water work takes away from your quicks is wrong.
It can... if done for distance training. However, resistance training and
sprint work is highly effective when done in the water and much less
damaging to the the body (unless you're a swimmer, then kiss your shoulders
goodbye). When done correctly, it will only improve your quicks. Otherwise
there would be an awful lot of slow olympian sprinters (swimmers and runners
alike), not too mention wide receivers, ball players, basketball players
etc..

luke smith

Nov 21, 2002, 2:29:27 AM11/21/02
work.
period.
I personally think that elliptical training is a better way to train
than the water. But Wilt Chamberlain attributed his knee recovery and
longevity to running on the beach. There are many ways to get
into/stay in shape. And most of them revolve around 3 days per week
cardio and 3 days per week strength training. That's a lot. The
bottom line is WORK.
Some people can't work hard 3 days/week because they are 'hard
gainers' but the fact is, you don't get anything sitting on your
ass...
so I'm off mine, and off to bed.

PEACE.

chewie