Coffee Cup predictions

Handy

Oct 23, 2007, 10:30:33 AM10/23/07
I'm stressed out by all the hub-bub around nationals, let's get some
bulletin board material for Yale's Coffee Cup:

Yale-B scores 10 points, aggregate.

Hofstra... really? Good luck Geb!

Pool winners
A: UMass (is this FINALLY their year? Coop, work with me here)
B: BC (they're hungry, WIlliams will be a good game but it's all or
nothing for BC this year, since they're graduating, well, everyone
(like UMass))
C: Harvard I guess? This could be a really messy pool because it's
always hard to tell how good Conn C is going to be and Dartmouth is
generally strong but Aunt Flow is always a wildcard too.
D: Wesleyan seeded 13th?? They are way too good for that, they win
the pool and establish themselves as the front runners in the SNE
(above Brown, gasp!)

No bracket posted but I'm going to say UMass wins, faces BC or
Wesleyan (is my lack of knowledge about Harvard showing through
yet...?)

Good luck!

-Handy

Eric...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2007, 10:35:21 AM10/23/07

> D: Wesleyan seeded 13th?? They are way too good for that, they win
> the pool and establish themselves as the front runners in the SNE
> (above Brown, gasp!)

r u fucking serious?

Handy

Oct 23, 2007, 10:58:33 AM10/23/07

I saw Brown lose to WPI. That's right, the Worcester Polytechnic
Institute a team that has never even made regionals, check it out
yourself on score reporter. Teddy is a baller but in his 12th year at
RW and they have no one else (sorry bout it) so they're not going
anywhere, Yale lost Match and wasn't very good before that anyway,
Conn College is always a meh level team.

So yes, Eric, i m fckn srius, ok?

gobosox

Oct 23, 2007, 11:24:47 AM10/23/07
Princeton is a massive mis-seed. They are seeded 4th even though they
lost to the 15 seed Hofstra 2 weekends ago at TNCJ.

TVA

Oct 23, 2007, 11:42:07 AM10/23/07
On Oct 23, 10:35 am, EricMP...@gmail.com wrote:

how about their sweep of their pool at sectionals...

http://www.upa.org/scores/tourn.cgi?div=20&id=3857

max?

Oct 23, 2007, 11:58:38 AM10/23/07
Pool A, Umass handily dispaches everyone but then proceeds to choke on
sunday, per usual

Pool B, toss up between BC and Williams, look to see kyle magner wide
open in the endzone 87% of the time skying everybody everywhere, but
if BC lets anybody else play thell drag down mags and lose on universe
point. and there might be rules against playing only one person...
not sure

Pool C probably dartmouth? harvard wasnt anything special last year
and i cant imagine them improving since.

Pool D wesleyan rolls and makes everyone look stupid, especially the
guy who did the seedings.. dude, dont you go to an ivy league or
somthing? arnt you people sposed to be good at things? well if anyone
is looking for the guy who made these pools, look for the short bus
with the tinted windows, he'll be chillin in the back.

northeastern and princeton are way over seeded, and yale probably
shouldnt have been let in
-max?

anders...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2007, 12:12:50 PM10/23/07
some quick info about harvard. they won clambake (skipping practice),
beating redtide and big ego/dog. they also won purple valley. maybe
it was just beginner's luck.

also, sparkle lipson, roebuck, dr.song, and pi are my friends. i
actually know them.

brent

Handy

Oct 23, 2007, 12:29:08 PM10/23/07

Yale is hosting the tourney and seeded it. I have to say though,
letting your B-team in, although cute, is kinda stupid if you want it
to be competitive, I mean Yale-B is just positively awful. And
Princeton and NE are WAY overseeded, not sure NE should even have been
let in considering their results this year.

Harvard sounds kinda scary, hopefully UMass pulls it out but who knows
given the new info, especially from a UMass alum...

chris....@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2007, 12:48:32 PM10/23/07
Harvard is disgusting this year, two tournaments and two straight up
wins with both finals wins coming against non-college teams, i would
put my money on them

I feel like seeding for this tournament is pretty off in general, but
its the fall so you never know which teams are bringing full squads
and which are on fall break or something and so they send a weaker
team with mostly rookies. either way it should be fun to watch the
scores roll in.

its...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2007, 12:50:32 PM10/23/07
Harvard is good, they have basically the same team as last year plus
one of the best two or three freshman in the country (George Stubbs).
I guess he won't be there though as he'll be in florida playing big
minutes for Chain.

I can't believe that Brown is not the favorite to win their section...
with all due respect to WPI and an early fall win at a random
tournament let's wait until someone proves with any consistency that
Brown won't act like every other year and roll through the section and
region.

max?

Oct 23, 2007, 12:58:36 PM10/23/07
brown has consistantly been a very well coached team regardless of
personell that peaks right about regionals, but thats like 6 months
away, so for this tournament, they will probably blow,

i thought all those new noise harvard guys graduated? arnt they like
37?

max?

Oct 23, 2007, 1:07:13 PM10/23/07
NE got rolled at brisk winds because we brought the babies along and
let them play, we're getting a sitter for coffee cup and will bring
mostly people who are good, but we still wont do well, at all, but
hey! thanks for letting us in yale! haha suckers...

Handy

Oct 23, 2007, 1:41:12 PM10/23/07

Brown hasn't lost a game to anyone in their section since I was in
school (2002) so although I'm sure they will do well and probably win
the section, I don't care how far they are from the real season, this
is a situation for them. Hell, even Brown-B wasn't getting beaten by
sectional rivals before sectionals.

Oh, they also lost Colin Mahoney, which is probably going to hurt, a
little.

Didn't realize you were a current player, Max. Good luck without Will
and Cam, yikes.

-Handy-

Eric...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2007, 2:49:05 PM10/23/07

thats sum random fall tournament, with a bunch of new kids playin. u
have to take those scores with a grain of salt.

i still think ur way off.

Eric...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2007, 2:57:50 PM10/23/07
>not sure NE should even have been let in considering their results this year.

stop looking a scores on UPA from bullshit fall tournaments. NE
played like 3 upperclassmen and like 15 freshmen in that tournament.
the idea is so that their freshmen can get experience. not so that
handy not rsd can judge them based upon scores. im sure they will not
send a full squad of freshmen to coffee cup.

http://www.upa.org/scores/tourn.cgi?div=18&id=4160

Message has been deleted

Handy

Oct 23, 2007, 3:23:13 PM10/23/07
> not so that handy not rsd can judge them based upon scores.

Eric, I'm happy to discuss this with you, but you're going to have to
"use your words" if you want a comeback from me.

Also, last year's Yale Cup (the higher profile event, certainly not a
"bs fall tournament") http://www.upa.org/scores/tourn.cgi?div=18&id=3407
seems to suggest that maybe they're not going to do that well,
especially considering the presumable loss of their three best
players: Kittredge, Keely and most notably, Neff.

I have nothing against Northeastern, but I'm basing this on a little
more knowledge than score reporter, whereas you seem to basing your
incoherent rambling on... what exactly? For that matter, do you have
any
picks you'd like to submit to the fray or are you just going to sit on
the
sidelines whining?

-Handy

Blaine

Oct 23, 2007, 3:38:37 PM10/23/07
On Oct 23, 10:58 am, Handy <Xck...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I saw Brown lose to WPI. That's right, the Worcester Polytechnic
> Institute a team that has never even made regionals, check it out
> yourself on score reporter. Teddy is a baller but in his 12th year at
> RW and they have no one else (sorry bout it) so they're not going
> anywhere, Yale lost Match and wasn't very good before that anyway,
> Conn College is always a meh level team.
>
> So yes, Eric, i m fckn srius, ok?

Ahem,

WPI made regionals in 2003. Check your facts Handy.

Also this tourney took place the same weekend as club regionals. That
probably had a negative impact on some of the teams competing.

~semi proud WPI alumni

Eric...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2007, 4:19:46 PM10/23/07
On Oct 23, 3:23 pm, Handy <Xck...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > not so that handy not(correction ON) rsd can judge them based upon scores.

hmmmm, hot typo. which completely nullifies my argument of course.
ur real sharp.

i will probably continue to whine, but for my picks. id say a sweet
upset in the seeds might be BC winning the B Pool. they r an
energetic team with some height. and if the wind is blowing they have
that 4man(constantly fringing on double team) cup.

-eric

dave picard

Oct 23, 2007, 4:51:21 PM10/23/07
a little support for eric here.

last year at coffee cup NE left home the big guns (will camden keely
and most other returners). However, this year will not be the same.
No doubt that we did lose a large part of our team with those three
guys but we are definitely not going to take a huge step back this
yea Although we are a young team we still have enough fire power to
make some noise in the highly competitive metro boston section.

with a very solid coach, a strong base of returners and one of the
strongest freshman classes we've ever had NE will undoubtedly surprise
teams that think just because the big three are gone they have got
nothing left. This weekend will hopefully show that we are prepared
to play high level ultimate again this year and not get steam rolled
as the early fall results would predict. I'm not saying we're the 5
seed with that crazy amount of talent seeded below us (BC at 10? maybe
they're just seeding to match brendan's age) but we will definitely
show up to play this weekend.

NE captain #9

Eric...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2007, 5:10:44 PM10/23/07
On Oct 23, 3:23 pm, Handy <Xck...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > not so that handy not (correction ON) rsd can judge them based upon scores.

yes, a typo. i bet that completely nullifies my argument. ur a real
shatp 1 handy.

i will continue to whine, but for a pick. i'd say BC upsets the B
pool. energetic team, and if the wind is blowing, then their 4 man
cup wil also help them out.

-eric

Eric...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2007, 6:04:41 PM10/23/07

sorry for the repost, computer froze

Handy

Oct 23, 2007, 7:31:04 PM10/23/07

Sorry Blaine, I've blocked that from my memory. I still don't believe
you (lalalalala).

-Handy-

Stuck_At_Work

Oct 23, 2007, 8:00:07 PM10/23/07

Who the hell is NE? Like some New England super team? I also heard
that Camden failed out and is using his last year at Holy Cross?!? Is
this true? Also, history has shown that BC owns the fall and no other
season. I predict them to go all the way.

-BC

chris....@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2007, 8:59:21 PM10/23/07
we will see what happens. Honestly, I think if we had a full and
HEALTHY Hofstra team, we could surprise some teams but I don't know if
that will be the case this weekend. I think all but two of our
starters injured themselves this week and two of our top players will
only be able to make on Sunday.

However, we did have our full team two weeks ago at TCNJ and played
against a pretty much full roster Princeton team and I will tell you
they should NOT be the 4 seed......no offense to Princeton.

Oh yea.......and screw you Handy!

-Geb
Hofstra Flying Dutchmen #5

dremart

Oct 23, 2007, 10:19:19 PM10/23/07
I hear williams won't have their best player this weekend but also
that The Kid is nice and Pettengill plans on stepping up big-time.
Pettengill: Mortal?

Mutton

Oct 23, 2007, 10:44:40 PM10/23/07

> However, we did have our full team two weeks ago at TCNJ and played
> against a pretty much full roster Princeton team and I will tell you
> they should NOT be the 4 seed......no offense to Princeton.

That is not at all true. The team that princeton sent to TCNJ was no
where near its full roster. it had 1 of three captains, two returning
cutters, a couple of handlers that played at regionals last year, and
the rest were either freshmen or sophomore rookies. While we wont have
anything close to our full roster at Coffee Cup either, I cant sit
here and read a post like that.

chris....@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2007, 11:03:54 PM10/23/07

> However, we did have our full team two weeks ago at TCNJ and played
> against a pretty much full roster Princeton team and I will tell you
> they should NOT be the 4 seed......no offense to Princeton.
>
> Oh yea.......and screw you Handy!
>
> -Geb
> Hofstra Flying Dutchmen #5

yeahhhh, i would bet a lot of money that Princeton would dominate any
of the teams at TCNJ in a full squad vs. full squad game, especially
Hofstra

dray...@aol.com

Oct 24, 2007, 12:55:18 AM10/24/07

harvard is extremely underseeded, they beat umass at purple valley and
deserve to be seeded first, in front umass as 2, and then williams 3.

chris....@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2007, 2:11:22 AM10/24/07
On Oct 23, 11:03 pm, chris.cor...@gmail.com wrote:

Alright, don't take my post the wrong way. I know their one captain
was injured and we asked how many people they were missing and they
said like 2, so if that's wrong then don't blame me. I'm not saying
just because we beat princeton once means we're amazing. That doesn't
mean that we'll even beat them next time they play us. I just mean
compared to some of the other teams I believe they're a little
overseeded. Theyre still a very good team. And I'm not saying my
team is a great team, I was just saying I think we're a little better
than people give us credit for.

chris....@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2007, 9:05:49 AM10/24/07

> Alright, don't take my post the wrong way. I know their one captain
> was injured and we asked how many people they were missing and they
> said like 2, so if that's wrong then don't blame me. I'm not saying
> just because we beat princeton once means we're amazing. That doesn't
> mean that we'll even beat them next time they play us. I just mean
> compared to some of the other teams I believe they're a little
> overseeded. Theyre still a very good team. And I'm not saying my
> team is a great team, I was just saying I think we're a little better
> than people give us credit for.

gotcha, and fair enough, my response was a little more than necessary,
i just know that they are a good team, definitely over-seeded
especially considering the squad they are going to bring to the
tournament due to fall break, i didn't mean to discredit your team
(though i know that i totally did) so i apologize, best of luck in the
fall and spring and hey, prove me wrong and make me look like more of
an ass!

Handy

Oct 24, 2007, 11:22:15 AM10/24/07

*sigh* Everyone has gone soft.

Geb, you guys going to Red November? Some alumni will be there and I
want a rematch...

dremart

Oct 24, 2007, 12:18:58 PM10/24/07
I hear williams won't have their best player this weekend but
Pettengill and The Kid plan on stepping up big-time. Pettengill:
Mortal?

chris....@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2007, 12:45:29 PM10/24/07

No we're not. They sent out the tourney info to the wrong email
address and we never got it so by the time we found out when the
tournament was it was already full. Oh well......guess I'll just have
to sky you some other time......Van saun? haha

jordan....@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2007, 2:11:21 PM10/24/07
I think Yale switched NE and Brown's seeds, so their A team would have
a better chance in pool play.
They threw their B-team to the dogs, instead of letting Brown have
another shot at WPI.
I think it will come down to a good Ivy Final: Brown vs Harvard, with
Harvard taking home the cup.
Hopefully Yale B will at least win one game and justify their invite.

Lacks-ative

dray...@aol.com

Oct 24, 2007, 2:37:28 PM10/24/07
These pools make absolutely no sense.

Pool D is weaker than weak. Harvard should be seeded 1 overall, Pool A
is currently entirely too stacked, then just a B-team thrown in for
fun? Please, make some seedings that make sense, give some
justification, do something before the damn tournament to fix these.
Its just dumb.

- D

Handy

Oct 24, 2007, 3:09:29 PM10/24/07

Yale-B doesn't win if they look anything like they used to in the
past. I remember our rookies beating them a few times something to
the tune of 15-3 and we missed regionals that year...

Pool A is a bit of a wreck as Brown and UMass definitely shouldn't be
together (are either losing anyone to club nationals?), but such is
the way. I seriously think Wesleyan might be good this year, let's
see what happens with Pool D. I could be totally wrong, we'll see in
a few days...

Handy

Oct 29, 2007, 4:03:19 PM10/29/07

Due to the format change I was wrong about UMass, and I was just flat
out wrong about Hofstra (nice work Geb!, excited for you guys this
season!).

However, Mr. Pitt,

Check out Wesleyan beating Harvard and finishing ahead of Brown (who
finished a very un-Brown-esque 6th, and yes, I am effin serious) and
Northeastern getting beaten 13-3 by Hofstra in the first round.
Considering you said the extremely vague:
>I'd say BC upsets the B pool.

Whereas I actually made a prediction and called BC in the finals, but
I guess we can call that particular one a push, with a little nod to
me cause I'm feeling irenic.

"Don't act like I nevah told ya..."

-Handy-

chris....@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2007, 9:11:38 PM10/29/07

Thanks man! Yea we had a very good weekend. Up and down but good
overall. Our game vs. Northeastern was some of the best ultimate I've
seen us play this fall and our game against BC was some of the worst
ultimate I've seen us play this fall. But hey, no one expected us to
even win a game so I think 3rd place is more than respectable haha. I
told you Handy

-Geb

Eric...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2007, 9:37:20 PM10/30/07
On Oct 29, 4:03 pm, Handy <Xck...@hotmail.com> wrote:

i didnt think it was vague. and its still fall, i still say brown
will win the section. so im still serious.

chris....@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2007, 3:04:12 AM10/31/07

I want to see what Harvard looks like with Stubbs.

I dont know, it is still fall but the NE should be a pretty
interesting region this year. UMass, Brown, Williams, BC,
Harvard.......we'll see

Dan

Oct 31, 2007, 12:10:21 PM10/31/07
everyone calm down, it's the fall. these teams are more concerned
about getting drunk and getting girls, as they should be. these
results don't mean much.

that being said, how can people seriously be talking about brown
losing their section? of all the bullshit that "handy" spews about the
northeast region, this must be the most outrageous and unfounded.
brown has dominated their section and this region for a long time -
let's see them not make nationals one year and then start doubting
them.

has BC ever done anything to justify this hype that they're getting?
ok, they have an old and experienced team, the same guys who were
there last year and didn't make it out of sectionals.

prediction? brown, harvard, williams and dartmouth make sunday of
regionals, like they do every year. two of these teams will go to
nationals, pending a size bid.

dan yi
dartmouth pain train alum #23

Eric...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2007, 5:31:48 PM10/31/07
On Oct 31, 12:10 pm, Dan <daniel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> everyone calm down, it's the fall. these teams are more concerned
> about getting drunk and getting girls, as they should be. these
> results don't mean much.
>
> that being said, how can people seriously be talking about brown
> losing their section? of all the bullshit that "handy" spews about the
> northeast region, this must be the most outrageous and unfounded.
> brown has dominated their section and this region for a long time -
> let's see them not make nationals one year and then start doubting
> them.
>
> prediction? brown, harvard, williams and dartmouth make sunday of
> regionals, like they do every year. two of these teams will go to
> nationals, pending a size bid.
>
> dan yi
> dartmouth pain train alum #23

Fuckin A.