Callahan Hype - Women

frank...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2008, 4:10:48 PM3/31/08
While the discussion on the other thread is nice and lively, I thought
it would be good to offer a counterpoint and start up the discussion
of who should be on the short list for the Callahan. This list is
certainly not all-inclusive and only serves to kick-start the
debate.

It's also still very early since nominations haven't begun, but since
Sectionals start this weekend (Socal, Wash/BC and South), I thought it
would be good to start focusing in on the play of potential
candidates.

THE SHORT LIST

I'm only including players that are (a) likely to qualify for
Nationals, (b) capable of taking over big games, (c) leaders on their
squad and (d) someone I've seen play in person.

Kira Frew (UBC Thunderbirds) - She finished in the top ten last year
and is the unquestioned leader of the Thunderbirds. I think she's the
clear cut favorite to win though I would disagree with Danny
Karlinsky's assessment in his blog (http://
dlkultimate.blogspot.com/). There are definitely other women that
should be considered and can run with her, especially...

Georgia Bosscher (Wisconsin Bella Donna) - She is freakishly good.
Her forehand is a gun and she can put it pretty much anywhere on the
field. She's a strong defender and an aggressive player on both sides
of the disc. I don't know much about her leadership skills, but it
seems that she and Courtney are doing a good job of taking over the
team after the departures of Holly Gruenke and Anna Schott.

Shannon O'Malley / Lindsey Hicks / Claire Suver / Whoever UW Nominates
(Washington Element) - Shannon is certainly a standout player and
would easily be in the mix, but as a sophomore, there's a good chance
that someone else will be nominated. All three are worth considering.

Andi 'Gizmo' Coleman / Cheryl 'Kix' Prideaux / Angie 'Taz' Sanan /
Whoever UCLA Nominates (UCLA) BLU - Each is a very strong player that
is critical to a big part of UCLA's game (Gizmo - defense/mid-cutter,
Kix - deep game, Taz - handling). Of the three, I think Gizmo has the
best package of leadership qualities, playing ability and intangibles
that reflect what the Callahan award represents.

Anne Mercier (Ottawa) - I've only seen her play for a short bit at
Vegas, but she has been regarded as one of the best college players in
recent memory. The fact that she plays for Ottawa (which might as
well be in another country... what?! I thought Canada was a state...
everywhere like such as... our education over here!) will keep the
hype subdued and be cause for everyone in the Metro East to blame the
media bias on the evil ultimate syndicate in the Northwest.

Katie Barry (Santa Barbara Burning Skirts) - The offense runs through
her and her play and leadership has been critical since Andrea Romano
has been out the bulk of the spring. The Burning Skirts love to huck
it and Katie is a big part of that.

OTHERS TO WATCH (in no particular order)

Emily Baecher (Michigan)
Liz Cassel (Stanford)
Julie Fast / Amy Smith (Colorado)
Jessica Huynh / Molly Suver (Oregon)
Charlie Mercer / Jess Trinh (Maryland)
Megan Molteni / Beth Mynar (Carleton)
Kate Scott (UNC)
Rebecca Shelton (Texas)
Julia Tenen (Arizona)
Alyssa Weatherford (Western Washington)
Natalie Wu (Berkeley)

Gambler

Mar 31, 2008, 4:51:19 PM3/31/08
IC Ultimate just published a profile of Katie Barry from UC-Santa
Barbara today. Check it out to read more about her:
http://www.icultimate.com/profiles/katiebarry.html

Frankie Rho is doing a series of profiles on some other top women in
the SW, so stay tuned.

Other women (all from the NW) that have been covered by IC Ultimate in
the past couple of years include:
Kira Frew (January 2005) http://www.icultimate.com/kirafrew.html
Claire Suver (August 2005) http://www.icultimate.com/players/clairesuver.html
Alyssa Weatherford (November 2006) http://www.icultimate.com/profiles/alyssa.html

I'd love to have profile articles of more top women out there
(especially from places not on the west coast...), so if you're
interested in interviewing someone and writing it up, please let me
know!

Thanks,
Gwen Ambler
ambler @ gmail.com

aardbei

Mar 31, 2008, 5:17:29 PM3/31/08
> I don't know much about her leadership skills, but it
> seems that she and Courtney are doing a good job of taking over the
> team after the departures of Holly Gruenke and Anna Schott.

Courtney Kiesow does not get enough credit for everything she does.
Yes, Georgia is good.... but she had two more years on the team, so it
is more than likely that Courtney will be Bella's nominee.

Courtney is a ridiculous player. She may not make the big flashy high-
risk throws, but she will put the disc in your hands when you give her
a smart, open cut short or deep. She's incredibly frustrating to
match up against. She's fast, efficient, and has excellent field
sense. She is consistent. Her defense keeps her woman out of the
action. She will lay out for everything. She catches discs you
thought were uncatchable. You were about to call it down when she
dove in and snatched it out of the air. She leads Bella Donna with
experience and effort. Always setting the pace for team runs, other
players find themselves pushing to keep up. She motivates and
encourages. She critiques and corrects. Bella Donna would not be the
athletic, composed team they are today if not for Courtney Kiesow.

Yeah, Holly, Anna and Georgia have made names for themselves, but
Courtney has been with them every step of the way. She gives them
resets. She saves them from TOs by catching their errant throws.
Everyone she's ever played with would want her on the line with them
at universe point. Offense or defense. She can play both and will
dominate. She is an incredible teammate. Whether for college
regionals and nationals or Poultry Days and Sandblast.... she brings
it on the field and off.

Her personality, commitment to sportsmanship, and amazing legs are
only the icing on the cake that is Courtney Kiesow. She is the whole
package, the real deal, a true Callahan nominee.

Watch for #99 in the Bella Donna videos (if you can actually read the
numbers): http://mufa.org/teams/belladonna/ Look for the calm,
composed player making things happen.

This is your chance to recognize a player that has gracefully stayed
out of the spotlight.

She is more than deserving.

aardbei

Mar 31, 2008, 5:30:53 PM3/31/08
> Courtney Kiesow does not get enough credit for everything she does.
> Yes, Georgia is good.... but she had two more years on the team, so it
> is more than likely that Courtney will be Bella's nominee.

Meant to write "she HAS two more years...." Small typo, big change in
meaning.....

frank...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2008, 5:32:13 PM3/31/08
Quick correction - I meant Lindsey Wilson of Washington Element.

Also, to clarify, Courtney Kiesow was co-captain of Wisconsin last
year with Holly Gruenke.

jessica...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2008, 5:32:59 PM3/31/08
On Mar 31, 1:51 pm, Gambler <amb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> IC Ultimate just published a profile of Katie Barry from UC-Santa
> Barbara today. Check it out to read more about her:http://www.icultimate.com/profiles/katiebarry.html
>
> Frankie Rho is doing a series of profiles on some other top women in
> the SW, so stay tuned.
>
> Other women (all from the NW) that have been covered by IC Ultimate in
> the past couple of years include:
> Kira Frew (January 2005)http://www.icultimate.com/kirafrew.html
> Claire Suver (August 2005)http://www.icultimate.com/players/clairesuver.html
> Alyssa Weatherford (November 2006)http://www.icultimate.com/profiles/alyssa.html

I do want to chime in with my opinion on Santa Barbara's KB instead of
listening to my Con Law lecture.

Katie has been a fierce competitor showing consistency and finesse on
offense and hungry, commanding blocks on D. I've played against her on
the college circuit for the last four years (and along side her as a
teammate for a single club season in 2006) and she's the whole
package... motivating teammate, focused leader, and sick plays all
over the place.

This year on the field, her hucks and breaks drive the Santa Barbara
offense. And in our universe point quarters game during the Stanford
Invite, KB came up with a much-needed, FAT hand-block for the Burning
Skirts in the last moments of the game.

Off the field, she's incredibly supportive of other ultimate players.
When I tore my ACL my senior year of college, she brought me a giant
Snoopy get well card and baked goods on my surgery day. In the middle
of SW College regionals in Arizona- where she lead her team to
nationals- I separated a rib and remembered that Katie had done the
same thing months before. I went over to her sideline in the middle of
her game, and she gave me advice on recovery and showed me a brace I
could get to protect my ribs.

Katie Barry is an absolute baller- but not only a baller on and off
the field, but a baller with character, integrity, and strength. And
if you ask her, she'll probably show you how to do the Soulja Boy
dance with a bigass smile on her face.

Jess "Venus" Huynh
#25 Oregon Ultimate

Stuck_At_Work

Mar 31, 2008, 5:52:18 PM3/31/08
On Mar 31, 5:32 pm, "jessicav.hu...@gmail.com"

It would be a shame if a Northeast player wasn't in the talk. Tab from
northeastern is a sick nasty handle that repeatedly makes defenders
look silly. Every time I see this lady play I am amazed by her ability
to cut up the line on the dump over and over. She also has an arsenal
of throws that make you wonder why she doesn't play for an open team.
It is always nice to watch a player who disregards a force and plays
her own game. Rumor has it that Tab is a little injured right now, but
come sectionals/regionals I would look to this lady to be putting up
some serial stats, no joke.

rub...@hotmail.com

Apr 3, 2008, 9:49:16 AM4/3/08
On Mar 31, 5:52 pm, Stuck_At_Work <DeargRuis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 31, 5:32 pm, "jessicav.hu...@gmail.com"
>

> <jessicav.hu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mar 31, 1:51 pm, Gambler <amb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > IC Ultimate just published a profile of Katie Barry from UC-Santa
> > > Barbara today.  Check it out to read more about her:http://www.icultimate.com/profiles/katiebarry.html
>
> > > Frankie Rho is doing a series of profiles on some other topwomenin
> > > the SW, so stay tuned.
>
> > > Otherwomen(all from the NW) that have been covered by IC Ultimate in

> > > the past couple of years include:
> > > Kira Frew (January 2005)http://www.icultimate.com/kirafrew.html
> > > Claire Suver (August 2005)http://www.icultimate.com/players/clairesuver.html
> > > Alyssa Weatherford (November 2006)http://www.icultimate.com/profiles/alyssa.html
>
> > > I'd love to have profile articles of more topwomenout there

> > > (especially from places not on the west coast...), so if you're
> > > interested in interviewing someone and writing it up, please let me
> > > know!
>
> > > Thanks,
> > > Gwen Ambler
> > > ambler @ gmail.com

> some serial stats, no joke.- Hide quoted text -

A discussion of Callahan nominees would be incomplete without
mentioning the name Lucia Derks (#3) from Wake Forest. Having
recently emerged as a major threat in the AC region winning QCTU and
Easterns as well as having a competitive showing in a last minute
appearance at Centex, Wake has been led on and off the field by
Lucia. As a natural athlete, she has brought intensity, passion, and
inspired play to the Ruckus women. She dominates on the field
directing offensive plays with an ever-present threatening longball
and is a relentless, fearless defender who will go up/lay out for
anything! She's one of those players whom you would rather be playing
with than against. Even while making her way back from a torn ACL,
Lucia's constructive voice was heard encouraging and instructing
inexperienced players. It must almost be mentioned that Lucia
continually campaigns to make women's ultimate a visible, equally-
funded, organized, and highly-respected club sport on Wake Forest
campus - a real service to women's college ultimate!

gbos...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2008, 2:39:44 PM4/9/08
Another shameless plug for Courtney Kiesow, #99 of Wisconsin Bella
Donna for 2008 Callahan.

She has been referenced to numerous times as one of the most talented
and capable leaders in the nation. I would like to make a case for her
being THE most talented and capable leader, and more than deserving of
this year's Callahan award. As a captain Courtney is selfless,
devoted, an incredible role-model, on top of being ridiculously fun.
As a player she leads the team on every point. She is fast, tall, has
the stickiest hands in the business, and lays out at will. If there is
one person you want to cover someone deep, it's Courtney; she never,
literally, never, misses a disc in the air. She's a smart defender,
never getting beat in because of her speed and smart positioning and
never getting beat deep because of the aforementioned ability to sky
everyone.

Her throws are gorgeous, whether break side, open side, deep, or dump.
You never see her flick huck coming, so it's off before you can react,
going 60 yards downfield perfectly into her receiver's hands. Then
she's off again cutting in or deep, with her defense trailing as she
consistently motivates the offense and makes thing happen.

Okay, I know I'm talking about pretty much every aspect of the game
and claiming that she's ridiculous at all of them but really, she is.
Popping in the zone? I would place bets with anyone that Court can get
open and know exactly where to be against ANY zone defense. Then, of
course, the defense is screwed because she can shred a cup just as
easily.

I guess what underlies all of this is that Courtney is a very, very
smart player. She knows the game inside and out. Field-sense is
instinctive to her, and that translates into her leadership skills.
This is her second year as captain, but heading up a team without a
coach definitely accelerated her leadership development. She keenly
knows what needs to change about the way her team is playing in a
given game, and can articulate it so that everyone can understand and
get pumped up to keep playing. She teaches through knowledge and
example, showing rookies and returners alike that phenomenal players
can be spirited and ridiculously fun as well.

Courtney Kiesow for Callahan 2008. Seriously, if you don't know her,
you haven't found love yet.

-Georgia Bosscher
Bella Donna #19

Pat.R...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2008, 3:23:55 PM4/9/08
On Apr 9, 1:39 pm, "gbossc...@gmail.com" <gbossc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> She is fast, tall, has
> the stickiest hands in the business, and lays out at will.

I once saw Courtney lay out OFF A ROOF, and bounced up like nobody's
business.

She's got my vote.

hsgr...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2008, 11:31:51 AM4/21/08
On Mar 31, 3:17 pm, aardbei <ambossc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't know much about her leadership skills, but it
> > seems that she and Courtney are doing a good job of taking over the
> > team after the departures of Holly Gruenke and Anna Schott.
>
> Courtney Kiesow does not get enough credit for everything she does.
> Yes, Georgia is good.... but she had two more years on the team, so it
> is more than likely that Courtney will be Bella's nominee.
>
> Courtney is a ridiculous player.  She may not make the big flashy high-
> risk throws, but she will put the disc in your hands when you give her
> a smart, open cut short or deep.  She's incredibly frustrating to
> match up against.  She's fast, efficient, and has excellent field
> sense.  She is consistent.  Her defense keeps her woman out of the
> action.  She will lay out for everything.  She catches discs you
> thought were uncatchable.  You were about to call it down when she
> dove in and snatched it out of the air.  She leads Bella Donna with
> experience and effort.  Always setting the pace for team runs, other
> players find themselves pushing to keep up.  She motivates and
> encourages.  She critiques and corrects.  Bella Donna would not be the
> athletic, composed team they are today if not for Courtney Kiesow.
>
> Yeah, Holly, Anna and Georgia have made names for themselves, but
> Courtney has been with them every step of the way.  She gives them
> resets.  She saves them from TOs by catching their errant throws.
> Everyone she's ever played with would want her on the line with them
> at universe point.

Having played with Courtney I agree that I'd have her on my universe
line every time. She is hands down THE best cutter I have ever played
with. She was on Bella Donna's starting O and D line her sophomore
year, playing nearly the entire game against Florida in quarterfinals
at nationals and catching the winning goal to send us to semifinals.

Courtney Kiesow for callahan!

gbos...@gmail.com

May 3, 2008, 12:59:58 AM5/3/08

Courtney Kiesow - highlight video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGC44WtVCzg

kinsella

May 6, 2008, 8:40:19 AM5/6/08
Let me just bump this up and throw another prop towards Courtney
Kiesow of Wisconsin Bella Donna (#99). Most outstanding player hands
down in the Central Region.

Kinsella

hsgr...@gmail.com

May 6, 2008, 6:47:59 PM5/6/08
Ok, I'm going to plug for the players that I've seen play the most
both from just observing and from playing against/with them.

Kira Frew-
Without a doubt the quickest handler in the college scene this year
and one of the top defenders. If you add her arsenal of throws and
her leadership capabilties, you have a clear front-runner for the
callahan. Even if you know exactly who she is matching up against
her, how she plays, what throws she likes, how she cuts, etc. she'll
still school you. To see just how quick she is, check out her COTD
from centex finals: http://www.ultivillage.com/Ultimate-Frisbee-Videos/Clip-of-the-Day/UBC-Women-Win-Centex-08.html

Courtney Kiesow-
Yes, I've played with her for 3 years, co-captaining with her for one
of those years so maybe I'm a little biased, but having captained with
her and seeing what she's continued to do with Bella Donna this year I
can tell you that she is an incredible leader. I think that's pretty
clear given Wisconsin's success this year and the fact that they don't
have a coach. In addition to being an outstanding leader, she's an
extremely talented player. She went from barely being able to throw a
forehand to hucking with the best right before my eyes. She's the
player nobody can stop. The example of consistency, she catches
everything, gets nearly every other pass and can throw whatever she
wants. Trying to play zone defense when she's popping is nearly
impossible because she'll find the holes every single time, even if
they're only there for a fraction of a second. She's also just really
nice and fun to play with and against. To see Court in action, check
out her highlight reel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGC44WtVCzg

Sarah "Surge" Griffith-
I've played against her in college and club too many times to count.
She's the girl you simultaneously dread and look forward to guarding
because she really tests your abilities as a player, but always in the
best way possible. She's the one you have to make sure you have a
good defender on at all times. She's fast. She's a great defender
and a top notch cutter. If you've read the nationals seedings thread,
you'll know that Michigan will most likely get a top 10 seed at
nationals. Surge is integral to their success this season as one of
the team's leaders.

I know there are others out there who deserve some props and are front-
runners in the race this year. I'd love to give a run down of all the
top candidates, but I just haven't seen everyone play enough for me to
give justice to their abilities.

Holly
-Bella Donna '03-07

Alex...@gmail.com

May 7, 2008, 4:52:29 PM5/7/08

I have to go to bat for my girl Cathy Marshall. Cathy captained for
FUEL the past three (or four?) years. Now I know the Florida women
haven't exactly been in the limelight this year, but as the team's
only fifth-year player, she deserves some recognition. She's an
absolute stud and has been from the start. If you want to read about
the serious Cathy-idolatry, check out the "Cathy Marshall for
callahan" post.
Alexa Dix
#26 FUEL 04-07

ebae

May 8, 2008, 10:01:03 AM5/8/08
To speak for Michigan-
Sarah Griffith is one of the sickest and most underrated players
college women's ultimate today. Her speed is unmatched- she gets open
at will. I've played with her for three years in both the college and
club series and have never seen her shut down. Surge is every
handler's ideal cutter. She'll run down and read a crappy huck, be
open at every high stall and get rid of the disc quickly with a
precise, productive, upfield throw. Not to mention her DEFENSE. Baller
run-through and layout d's are just standard for her. From college to
club nationals, I have had the distinct pleasure of watching Surge
just embarrass experienced players who have a tendency to overlook
skinny pale girls :)

As a captain, Surge is just phenomenal. Flywheel would be no where
near where it is today without her knowledge, leadership, organization
and dedication. She has turned her captainship into a full-time job-
sacrificing untold hours to make running this club look like a breeze
(and feel like it to the rest of us). Even if she didn't even play
frisbee, Surge would deserve the Callahan for what she has done for
ultimate in the Great Lakes.

Also, Surge manages to be the fastest woman in college ultimate while
adhering to a strict diet of meat, candy and brownies. That is just
not easy to do.

surge4callahan.blogspot.com

Emily Baecher
University of Michigan #23

hsgr...@gmail.com

May 8, 2008, 11:51:59 AM5/8/08

> Also, Surge manages to be the fastest woman in college ultimate while
> adhering to a strict diet of meat, candy and brownies. That is just
> not easy to do.
>
> surge4callahan.blogspot.com
>
> Emily Baecher
> University of Michigan #23

The fastest woman in college ultimate? I mean, she's fast, but let's
not get carried away here. Everyone knows Laura Bitterman of
Wisconsin is the fastest woman in college ultimate ;)

Bol...@gmail.com

May 8, 2008, 12:22:49 PM5/8/08
On May 8, 9:51 am, hsgreu...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Also, Surge manages to be the fastest woman in college ultimate while
> > adhering to a strict diet of meat, candy and brownies. That is just
> > not easy to do.

> The fastest woman in college ultimate?  I mean, she's fast, but let's
> not get carried away here.  Everyone knows Laura Bitterman of
> Wisconsin is the fastest woman in college ultimate ;)

candy and brownies???... sounds like someone i know... maybe thats the
meal of a champion