Cardus Archive

Sandaas

Feb 10, 2004, 6:37:56 PM2/10/04
I had about an hour spare today, and decided not to sleep or chase
sheep for a change. Being the inveterate googler I am, I decided to
try and put together something of an archive of extracts from the work
of Neville Cardus on rec.sport.cricket. For better or worse, he does
seem to be the most sought-after Cricket writer. There have been
frequent requests from people looking for his stuff. I'll put together
a brief biography sometime if people are interested.

My intention here is to set up a thread to which people looking for
Cardus's work can be pointed. Contrary to popular perceptions, RSC
isn't just about flaming. There are valuable things we can do towards
the preservation and dissemination of information. (Cricket certainly
deserves it.) As we know all too well, books don't last forever.
Electronic media might not, either, but it's the best we have for the
moment. Helpfully, many of the extracts below have some context added.

I'm not sure this list is anything near comprehensive. If anyone can
find more, they're more than welcome to post them. I'm posting both
full links and tinyurls. The tinyurls may well die, hence the longer
links.

Without wanting to be anything of a newsgroup policeman, I might also
request that if anyone finds articles in future, or decides to
transcribe them, that they add them to this thread. It should also be
useful for people intending to transcribe Cardus, so as to avoid
repetition.

All right, here goes. It's in no particular order, either.

1. On the Old Trafford Test, 1902. (Posted by Sadiq Yusuf)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1992Feb8.025239.12738%40casbah.acns.nwu.edu&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
http://tinyurl.com/2fhms

2. On Ranjitsinhji. (Uday Rajan)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1993Feb2.175259.22151%40leland.Stanford.EDU&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
http://tinyurl.com/3cb8z

3. On Trevor Bailey's batting (Murari Venkataraman)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1v50uq%24jvr%40happy.cc.utexas.edu&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
http://tinyurl.com/23s5e

4. On Patsy Hendren, briefly. (Uday Rajan)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=2q4rb6%24692%40nntp2.Stanford.EDU&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
http://tinyurl.com/387s6

5. On Trumper, briefly. (Sadiq Yusuf)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=33uqrv%24d1m%40news.iastate.edu&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
http://tinyurl.com/2aubv

6. On The Oval. (John Hall)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=SAeF3TA3%24jkwEwKD%40jhall.demon.co.uk&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
http://tinyurl.com/25er4

7. On "Grace, Immortality and the Press". (Bob Dubery)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3eacb2c6%240%24236%40hades.is.co.za&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
http://tinyurl.com/2kvbk

8. On Ranjitsinhjj, briefly. (Cricketislife!)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=41501N163%40web2news.com&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
http://tinyurl.com/3x8zn

9. A bit more on Ranjitsinhji, if you scroll to the end.
(Cricketislife!) http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=46950N161%40web2news.com&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
http://tinyurl.com/2hpy7

10. On Woolley (Uday Rajan)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1993Feb8.002905.10523%40leland.Stanford.EDU&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
http://tinyurl.com/2aqjr

11. More on Woolley. (Uday Rajan)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1993Feb8.005556.11552%40leland.Stanford.EDU&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
http://tinyurl.com/38qlq

12. Brief bit on Eng v Aus 1938 (Uday Rajan)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=2n8lmj%24pro%40nntp2.Stanford.EDU&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
http://tinyurl.com/22jq3

13. On McCabe's 232. (Uday Rajan)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8lfvm5S00YUxQl3FAo%40andrew.cmu.edu&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
http://tinyurl.com/ysp3r

14. On Bradman, 1930. (Uday Rajan)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=klfwbue00YUx8lcEsN%40andrew.cmu.edu&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
http://tinyurl.com/2lw6n

15. On Wilfred Rhodes. (Uday Rajan)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8mFQYzS00iWp09hmc0%40andrew.cmu.edu&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
http://tinyurl.com/yrkgk

16. On Bodyline. (Cricketislife!)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=37681N653%40web2news.com&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
http://tinyurl.com/239br

17. On Eng v Aus, 1953, 2nd Test, 1st Day. (Some joker calling himself
a toilet.)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=brcq7u%24ums%241%40mawar.singnet.com.sg&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
http://tinyurl.com/ytyyk

18. Briefly on Graveney. (John Hall)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=4GPjx7EGmlCAFw9g%40jhall.demon.co.uk&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
http://tinyurl.com/ytv4j

19. On Cyril Washbrook (Cricketislife!)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=j6p700pvg0h60vbot0h3gr8rl6f0po160o%404ax.com&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
http://tinyurl.com/2tabx

20. On getting married … (John Hall)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uLp2SaSpYd%24%24Ewo6%40jhall.demon.co.uk&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
http://tinyurl.com/35e7n

21. On C B Fry (Same joker)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=brnk1i%24jbt%241%40mawar.singnet.com.sg&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
http://tinyurl.com/2qj23

Well, that's all for now. If anyone does find anything more, please do
post it here. I think Cricketislife! went through a phase where she
posted some stuff from the Wisden website. As far as I know, many of
those links are now inaccessible, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Aditya [ Poor joker, pedantic git, useless
poster ... Neville Cardus fan. ] Basrur

Cricketislife!

Feb 10, 2004, 10:02:00 PM2/10/04
On 10 Feb 2004 15:37:56 -0800, sandaa...@yahoo.com (Sandaas)
wrote:

> I think Cricketislife! went through a phase where she
>posted some stuff from the Wisden website. As far as I know, many of
>those links are now inaccessible, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Stay unhappy, single and unable to get laid. Those links dont work,
Damn, that cricketislife!, she shud have cutnpaste those articles
fully... bloody waste of some good articles from wisden.

CiL
Its still raining and the Magician is unable to bowl.

Look at the picture
http://www.theage.com.au/ftimages/2004/02/10/1076175146999.html

++++++++++++++
Shane Warne's ‘spinning like a top' leg break; the beauty doesn't just
lie in the end result, the ball spinning but it starts right from the
start. Shane Warne walking in to bowl is a sight in itself. The wait
at the top of the walk, the theatrical look at the batsman, the ball
is transferred to the left hand with that beautiful flick of the right
hand that only a leg break bowler can produce. First arms are at his
side, then the left hand discreetly transfers the ball to the right,
that slow beautiful walk (probably the most beautiful walk by a man on
this planet!), the eyes gleaming in anticipation of a wicket, the two
hands join again, the left over the right, underneath which, the grip
on the ball is finalized and held firmly.

The left hand now withdraws away and the walk turns into a slow jog.
And then that small hop, the right hand goes into a circular arc, and
ends up with elbow locked in a V shape, the left hand also by this
time makes a V, the right feet almost parallel to the crease; then the
left hand comes out, forward and down like drawing down a curtain,
while the right goes down and then comes up in a circular motion, and
the whole weight is now shifted to the left foot, and the ball is
released with a rip, a final flick of the right wrist, launching the
ball in its orbit.

The ball whirs in the air, swirls, swerves, spinning like a top and if
it is Warne's day, it would pitch on the leg stump, the batsman unsure
would turn towards it, the ball would then spin sharply, squaring up
the batsman, beating his wave of the bat, and triumphantly kissing the
off stump, which seems only happy to receive the kiss and would peg
back a little and give a hats off gesture – the bails come off.

What a beauty! If Abdul Qadir's run in was magical, with his hands
doing through a myriad different but beautiful motions, Warne's walk
in is equally beautiful. Roberto Baggio's walk after scoring ‘The
goal' is being constantly shown in a commercial but that was the end
result of an achievement, a guilt washed away, a sad memory burnt, a
redemption song, but Shane Warne's walk is in anticipation of a
triumph, of a dream looked forward to, a painting about to be
sketched, a work of a true artist. Unlike Baggio's (no doubt, a
wonderful moment) walk, which is a solitary walk in a lifetime, the
beauty occurs each and every time, Warne goes in to bowl.

+++++++++