Catch assist

Yuk Tang

Jan 8, 2012, 3:59:41 PM1/8/12
I recall there was some discussion a few years back about the legality
of a catch starting from outside the boundary but in the air, but
landing inside the boundary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wq5MHIRWqQ

--
Cheers, ymt.

Andrew Dunford

Jan 8, 2012, 5:08:32 PM1/8/12

"Yuk Tang" <n...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
The live experience watching on TV wasn't quite as good as the replays
because the camera didn't follow the ball after Small had thrown it, so the
viewer had no idea initially that it had been caught.

I can't tell from the replays whether the catch did start outside the
boundary or not. It's a close run thing either way.

Interesting to see people claiming it was similar to the Angelo Mathews
catch. Brilliant though that Mathews effort was, it wasn't a patch on the
Small/Mason catch.

Andrew

Yokel

Jan 8, 2012, 5:09:34 PM1/8/12
There has been a lot of "tweaking" of this law in recent years and it
has now got quite complicated.

If you have access to the latest (2010 code) edition of "Tom Smith's",
the story is on pages 172 to 174 (but most of this is pictures, there is
not that much text!).

For those who haven't, a summary follows. All these, of course, assume
the ball has not touched the ground after being hit.

> The *first* fielder to touch the ball must be within the field of
play, or if he has jumped to catch / parry the ball must have had his
feet within the field of play before jumping. This is not actually
stated in Law 32 but you are referred to Law 19.4, which covers the
"first contact by fielder" provision.

> A *second or later* fielder who touches the ball may have jumped from
a position on or over the boundary, but must then be completely in the
air when he first touches the ball ("Tom Smith's" contains a picture on
p174 of a fielder doing this). So he must either land back within the
field of play or knock the ball in for someone else to catch. Any
fielder in contact both with the ball and any object or ground beyond
the boundary concedes a "6".

> The fielder who finally completes the catch must be within or land
within the field of play *and* the umpire must be satisfied that the
fielder has control over his movements so he can remain within the field
of play.

> Any number of fielders may participate in taking a catch, provided
all comply with the above and the ball is not allowed to touch the
ground or anything beyond the boundary.

The fact that the ball has passed - in the air and without touching -
over the boundary does not invalidate a catch. It has for a long time
(at least since the 1947 code which was the first I learnt) been the
case that a fielder can lean over a boundary to catch the ball provided
the ball itself and the fielder touches nothing beyond the boundary.
More recently, the boundary itself has been redefined so, for example,
once you could lean on a fence to take a catch but now this concedes a "6".

When you consider the time spent in examining the camera replays at the
top level, feel for the poor "club" umpire who has to judge this sort of
thing without such aids.

--
- Yokel -

Yokel posts via a spam-trap account which is not read.

Yuk Tang

Jan 8, 2012, 7:22:06 PM1/8/12
Yokel <yokelstev...@btinternet.com> wrote in
With the Tom Smith's clarification being so specific, I wonder if it
was prompted by John Darcy or someone bringing up the rsc discussion
in the NSW umpires association. I think the discussion raised both
possibilities of someone standing outside the boundary and jumping up
and pushing the ball back, and someone standing inside the boundary
and jumping outside before pushing the ball back.

--
Cheers, ymt.

R Bharat Rao

Jan 8, 2012, 9:17:23 PM1/8/12
Unbelievable effort. Thanks for posting Yuk

Bharat

eusebius

Jan 9, 2012, 2:27:25 AM1/9/12
Wow. Was one of the teams the Jane McGrath foundation?

alvey

Jan 9, 2012, 3:16:19 AM1/9/12
Fantastic effort. Best of breed.
Makes you wonder if both catchers should get on the scorecard a la runouts.

alvey