Did Neville Cardus have a wife?

Arvind Borde

Jan 8, 2004, 4:30:34 PM1/8/04
And was her name Gwyneth? I've picked up a copy of his
1945 book "English Cricket" (part of a series that ranges
from English Women to English Weather, stopping at
English Inns along the way, but carefully avoiding
English Cooking), inscribed in 1946 to
"Roger, from Uncle Neville and Auntie Gwyneth."

Neville Cardus must have been in Australia at this
point in time. His autobiography was finished in 1947
in Sydney (I think), but I can't remember if he talked
of being married. Early in the book he says that a
condition of employment at the Manchester Guardian was that
you be unmarried (and not marry for six months). Late
in the autobiography he talks of being seen off for the
last time from the Salzburg music festival by a girl who
drank a last glass of wine with him (it was 1938, I believe)
and ran along the platform to wave goodbye. But, between
these two affairs, the Guardian and the girl, or after them,
was there a wife?

Arvind

John Hall

Jan 8, 2004, 5:04:38 PM1/8/04
In article <22a910ea.04010...@posting.google.com>,

Arvind Borde <cricd...@hotmail.com> writes:
>And was her name Gwyneth?

Yes, I'm sure I recall reading a piece where he refers to having left
some big match for an hour or two to get married in a register office.
But I'm afraid that I've never read his autobiography, so I don't know
his wife's name.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

John Hall

Jan 8, 2004, 5:14:01 PM1/8/04
In article <22a910ea.04010...@posting.google.com>,
Arvind Borde <cricd...@hotmail.com> writes:
>And was her name Gwyneth?

Here's the piece by Cardus that I was thinking of when I posted a few
minutes ago, found thanks to a search on the Web:

"There are many things about cricket, apart from the skill and the
score. There is, first of all, the leisure to do something else.
Cricket, like music, has its slow movements, especially when my native
county of Lancashire is batting. I married the good companion who is my
wife during a Lancashire innings. The event occurred in June, 1921; I
went as usual to Old Trafford, stayed for a while and saw Hallows and
Makepeace come forth to bat. As usual they opened with care. Then I had
to leave, had to take a taxi to Manchester, there to be joined in
wedlock at the registry office. Then I - that is, we - returned to Old
Trafford. While I had been away from the match and committed the most
responsible and irrevocable act in mortal man’s life, Lancashire had
increased their total by exactly seventeen - Makepeace 5,
Hallows 11, and one leg-bye."

The Cricket Nut

Jan 8, 2004, 5:45:50 PM1/8/04
"John Hall" <nospam...@jhall.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <22a910ea.04010...@posting.google.com>,
> Arvind Borde <cricd...@hotmail.com> writes:
> >And was her name Gwyneth?
>
> Here's the piece by Cardus that I was thinking of when I posted a few
> minutes ago, found thanks to a search on the Web:
>
> "There are many things about cricket, apart from the skill and the
> score. There is, first of all, the leisure to do something else.
> Cricket, like music, has its slow movements, especially when my native
> county of Lancashire is batting. I married the good companion who is my
> wife during a Lancashire innings. The event occurred in June, 1921; I
> went as usual to Old Trafford, stayed for a while and saw Hallows and
> Makepeace come forth to bat. As usual they opened with care. Then I had
> to leave, had to take a taxi to Manchester, there to be joined in
> wedlock at the registry office. Then I - that is, we - returned to Old
> Trafford. While I had been away from the match and committed the most
> responsible and irrevocable act in mortal man's life, Lancashire had
> increased their total by exactly seventeen - Makepeace 5,
> Hallows 11, and one leg-bye."

Thanks John,

I recall reading this many many years ago. Brings back memories.
It was recently quoted in a lecture by Prof Simon Lee of Leeds Metro
University. He used cricket as a metaphor for a university. The lecture
itself made good reading.

-The Cricket Nut

The Cricket Nut

Jan 8, 2004, 5:52:10 PM1/8/04
"The Cricket Nut" <nutsabou...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "John Hall" <nospam...@jhall.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Here's the piece by Cardus that I was thinking of when I posted a few
> > minutes ago, found thanks to a search on the Web:
> >
> > <snip>

> It was recently quoted in a lecture by Prof Simon Lee of Leeds Metro
> University. He used cricket as a metaphor for a university. The lecture
> itself made good reading.

I was able to locate the lecture itself and it can be found here ...
http://www.leedsmet.ac.uk/the_news/nov03/r19nov.pdf

-The Cricket Nut

Arvind Borde

Jan 9, 2004, 12:08:15 PM1/9/04
"The Cricket Nut" <nutsabou...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<mvCdnbrRZI2...@comcast.com>...

> I was able to locate the lecture itself and it can be found here ...
> http://www.leedsmet.ac.uk/the_news/nov03/r19nov.pdf

Thanks, John, for the quote. (But, was she called Gwyneth?)
Thanks, Nut, for the reference to the lecture. I don't agree
with some of it -- the angle on a certain book burning, for example --
but it was interesting.

Arvind

DiiVolunt

Jan 10, 2004, 3:47:32 PM1/10/04
cricd...@hotmail.com (Arvind Borde) wrote in message news:<22a910ea.04010...@posting.google.com>...

He talked about lot about other people 's wives....never his
own...humm

in 1948 he wrote a letter:

1st October 1948, to 'My dear Dorabella'. Cardus writes a touching
letter, announcing 'Yesterday was a disappointment for me. I went out
and got special flowers for you - and a fruit cake. In such lovely
weather, this flat looked at its prettiest, as though eager to welcome
you.' Cardus adds that, when his correspondent didn't arrive, he 'went
to the corner of Lyall Street and carefully inspected every passing
taxi, & every passer-by. I thought you might have lost yourself in the
labyrinth of "Places" and "Squares" of this neighbourhood.' In
concluding the writer states that he cannot manage Monday as he has to
make a record for a broadcast and wonders whether another afternoon
would suit.

maybe Dorabella is answer you are looking for...

funny stories: John Reid the kiwi cricketer seduced his wfe, a nurse
by continously pretending illnesses to get opportunities to go see
her...

Fry seduced his headmaster's wife...

Browne who succeeded Cardus as music critic...proposed to his first
wife via crossword, the first letter of all the across words reading,
"I love Nancy Moore", then, a few weeks later, "Will she marry me?"
Enough hidden messages, said the editor. This didn't prevent a final
one: "The answer is Yes".

It's a funny kind of month, October. For the really keen cricket fan
it's when you discover that your wife left you in May. ~Denis Norden

regards
PRanshu B Saxena

Cricketislife!

Jan 10, 2004, 4:00:00 PM1/10/04

Bit of background of Cardus his upbringing etc can be found at

http://www.northflow.fsnet.co.uk/Cardus.htm

John Hall

Jan 10, 2004, 4:15:40 PM1/10/04
>cricd...@hotmail.com (Arvind Borde) wrote in message news:<22a910ea.04010...@posting.google.com>...
>> And was her name Gwyneth? I've picked up a copy of his
>> 1945 book "English Cricket" (part of a series that ranges
>> from English Women to English Weather, stopping at
>> English Inns along the way, but carefully avoiding
>> English Cooking), inscribed in 1946 to
>> "Roger, from Uncle Neville and Auntie Gwyneth."
>>
>> Neville Cardus must have been in Australia at this
>> point in time. His autobiography was finished in 1947
>> in Sydney (I think),

It may be worth mentioning that he wrote another autobiography much
latter (in about 1970, give or take 5 years), called "Full Score" IIRC.
It's possible that his wife might get more of a mention in the later
book, if you can get hold of a copy.
--
John Hall
Johnson: "Well, we had a good talk."

John Hall

Jan 10, 2004, 4:27:08 PM1/10/04
In article <ppp000hb397m5cffa...@4ax.com>,

Cricketislife! <cricke...@rediffmail.com> writes:

>Bit of background of Cardus his upbringing etc can be found at
>
>http://www.northflow.fsnet.co.uk/Cardus.htm

Thanks for posting that link. It's fascinating concerning both Cardus
and Arlott.