For those who think sledging is a new thing. And that it is an Aussie thing.

Colin Kynoch

Apr 3, 2004, 8:54:49 PM4/3/04
"One of the umpires told me, after the scalding afternoon's play was
over: "Never again; no more 'standin' ' in Yorkshire and Lancashire
matches for me. Why, this afternoon, when them two lads were knockin'
t'stuffin' out of t'Yorkshire bowlers, the row and racket on t'field
were awful. George Macaulay were cussin' 'is 'ead off, and Emmott
were mutterin' to 'isself, and poor owd captain 'ad been sent out into
t'outfield so's 'e couldn't 'ear. At last I 'ad to call order; I said
'Now look 'ere, you chaps, how the 'ell do you expect me and me pal
'Arry to umpire in a bloody parrot 'ouse?'"

And no this wasn't written by some Aussie trying to divert attention,
it was written by Neville Cardus in "Autobiography" Published by
Collins in 1947 in Australia. page 154.

The match in question fell between 1924 and 1930. I am sure that
someone like Mike Holmans would be able to pinpoint the match. It
occurred at Leeds and the score was 3 for not much and then two
'novices' scored centuries.

Colin Kynoch

AKane

Apr 3, 2004, 10:08:40 PM4/3/04
<snip>

OK - Sledging existed and then reduced or almost died and then was
resurrected by the Aussies who took it to new levels. IMHO.

Satisfied?

Colin Kynoch

Apr 4, 2004, 8:00:06 AM4/4/04
On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 03:08:40 GMT, AKane <AK...@xyz.net> parted their
butt cheeks and let rip with this:

No, because your hypothesis is not valid.

I have read of examples of sledging through pretty much all Test eras.

Sledging and gamesmanship is not a new phenomena in cricket, it has
always been there.

Colin Kynoch

Larry de Silva

Apr 4, 2004, 10:23:01 AM4/4/04

"Colin Kynoch" <kynoch...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

What do you feel about the AFL clamping down on sledging dude?

Laz

> Colin Kynoch

kenhiggs8

Apr 4, 2004, 8:01:55 PM4/4/04
Colin Kynoch <kynoch...@bigpond.com> wrote in message news:<43qu60dhoe47vsscc...@4ax.com>...

Who are these people who said sledging was a new thing and an Aussie thing?

Or is this some sort of attempt to dredge up posts from the past?

dechucka

Apr 5, 2004, 2:40:20 AM4/5/04

"Larry de Silva" <larryd...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

so they bloody well should but like in cricket it has been going on for ever
as it has in soccer,RL, RU, basketball etc etc

> Laz
>

> > Colin Kynoch

dechucka

Apr 5, 2004, 2:41:07 AM4/5/04

Sultan

Apr 5, 2004, 5:04:42 AM4/5/04
Ho Ho Ho. Gamesmanship is as English as getting spanked and loving it:

http://www.agresticism.org/furrow/2003/8/27/gamesmanship/

Sultan

Tony

Apr 6, 2004, 5:28:42 AM4/6/04

Larry de Silva wrote:

dude, as long as people only sledge collingwood, its all good !!!

> > Colin Kynoch

Colin Kynoch

Apr 6, 2004, 8:04:16 PM4/6/04
On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 17:28:42 +0800, Tony <tonyn...@optusnet.com.au>

parted their butt cheeks and let rip with this:

>Larry de Silva wrote:
>
>> "Colin Kynoch" <kynoch...@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> > On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 03:08:40 GMT, AKane <AK...@xyz.net> parted their
>> > butt cheeks and let rip with this:

>> > No, because your hypothesis is not valid.
>> >
>> > I have read of examples of sledging through pretty much all Test eras.
>> >
>> > Sledging and gamesmanship is not a new phenomena in cricket, it has
>> > always been there.
>>
>> What do you feel about the AFL clamping down on sledging dude?

Overreaction.

<snip>

Colin Kynoch
pissed with bigpond as they seem to only be sending half the posts.