200s

vijay...@my-deja.com

Dec 5, 2010, 12:31:41 AM12/5/10
As Pietersen brought up his 200, the commentators
were talking about Test 200s.

Apparently, this was just the 12th 200 for England vs
Aus.

How many 200s have each team scored in Tests, in all?

I would reckon India has about 40 or so. Before SRT made
his debut, you could count them on your fingers -
SMG (4)
Mankad (2)
MAK Pataudi
Sardesai
Gaekwad
Vishy
??

Since then, SRT, Dravid, Ganguly, Sehwag, Laxman,
Gambhir, Sidhu have added several more to the list.

How many 200s against Aus in Aus in the last couple
of decades? Dravid, SRT, Lara (twice), Collingwood,
Did anyone from RSA make that list?

Vijay

WC2007

Dec 5, 2010, 2:44:28 AM12/5/10
On Dec 4, 11:31 pm, "vijaykum...@my-deja.com" <vijaykum...@my-

deja.com> wrote:
> As Pietersen brought up his 200, the commentators
> were talking about Test 200s.
>
> Apparently, this was just the 12th 200 for England vs
> Aus.
>
> How many 200s have each team scored in Tests, in all?

Team 200s
Australia 62
West Indies 47
England 47
India 40
Pakistan 33
Sri Lanka 29
South Africa 23
New Zealand 16
Zimbabwe 4

> How many 200s against Aus in Aus in the last couple
> of decades? Dravid, SRT, Lara (twice), Collingwood,
> Did anyone from RSA make that list?

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;opposition=2;orderby=start;orderbyad=reverse;runsmin1=200;runsval1=runs;size=200;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

Brian Lawrence

Dec 5, 2010, 6:00:08 AM12/5/10
<vijay...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> As Pietersen brought up his 200, the commentators
> were talking about Test 200s.
>
> Apparently, this was just the 12th 200 for England vs
> Aus.

Actually it was the 13th.

RE Foster 287 Sydney 14 Dec 1903
WR Hammond 251 Sydney 17 Dec 1928
WR Hammond 200 Melbourne 01 Jan 1929
WR Hammond 231* Sydney 18 Dec 1936
E Paynter 216* Nottingham 11 Jun 1938
WR Hammond 240 Lord's 24 Jun 1938
L Hutton 364 The Oval 20 Aug 1938
KF Barrington 256 Manchester 27 Jul 1964
DI Gower 215 Birmingham 17 Aug 1985
N Hussain 207 Birmingham 06 Jun 1997
PD Collingwood 206 Adelaide 02 Dec 2006
AN Cook 235* Brisbane 28 Nov 2010
KP Pietersen 214* Adelaide 04 Dec 2010

Hammond's first two (251 & 250) came in successive innings.
Paynter (216*) & Hammond (240) were in successive innings,
Hutton's 364 was in the same series.

By scoring 364 Hutton was one run short of the then England
record for most runs scored between dismissals. That was
set by Wally Hammond in 1933, when he scored 336* at
Auckland and followed with 29 at Lord's, making 365 between
dismissals. That record remained until yesterday, when
Cook surpassed it. At close of play Cook had added 136 to
his 235* from Brisbane, for a total of 371. He extended that
to 383 today. The media reported that he also broke the
record for longest time spent at the crease between dismissals.
It was well over 1000 min., but I don't have the details.

I don't have any data for similar records for other countries
or indeed for all-comers.

Australian batsmen have scored 23 200s vs. England (DGB accounting
for 8 of those). The most recent was by Langer at Melbourne in
December 2002.

> How many 200s have each team scored in Tests, in all?
>
> I would reckon India has about 40 or so. Before SRT made
> his debut, you could count them on your fingers -
> SMG (4)
> Mankad (2)
> MAK Pataudi
> Sardesai
> Gaekwad
> Vishy
> ??
>
> Since then, SRT, Dravid, Ganguly, Sehwag, Laxman,
> Gambhir, Sidhu have added several more to the list.
>
> How many 200s against Aus in Aus in the last couple
> of decades? Dravid, SRT, Lara (twice), Collingwood,
> Did anyone from RSA make that list?

Since 1990 there have been eight:

Shastri 206 Sydney 1991-92
Lara 277 Sydney 1992-93
Dravid 233 Adelaide 2003-04
Tendulkar 241* Sydney 2003-04
Lara 226 Adelaide 2005-06
Collingwood 206 Adelaide 2006-07
Cook 235* Brisbane 2010-11
Pietersen 214* Adelaide 2010-11

Andrew B.

Dec 5, 2010, 7:37:23 AM12/5/10
On Dec 5, 11:00 am, "Brian Lawrence" <Brian_W_Lawre...@msn.com> wrote:

> By scoring 364 Hutton was one run short of the then England
> record for most runs scored between dismissals. That was
> set by Wally Hammond in 1933, when he scored 336* at
> Auckland and followed with 29 at Lord's, making 365 between
> dismissals. That record remained until yesterday, when
> Cook surpassed it. At close of play Cook had added 136 to
> his 235* from Brisbane, for a total of 371. He extended that
> to 383 today. The media reported that he also broke the
> record for longest time spent at the crease between dismissals.
> It was well over 1000 min., but I don't have the details.
>
> I don't have any data for similar records for other countries
> or indeed for all-comers.

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Articles/1/1610.html covers the
subject in detail, but the article was written 6 years ago, so there
have been some additions (including at least those I've given below):

400+ runs between dismissals:
497 SR Tendulkar (241*, 60*, 194*, 2)
490 GS Sobers (365*, 125)
479 KC Sangakkara (since the page was written: 200*, 222*, 57)
473 RS Dravid (41*, 200*, 70*, 162)
456 JH Kallis (157*, 42*, 189*, 68)
453 BC Lara (since the page was written: 400*, 53)
427 DJ Cullinan (275*, 152)
426 MA Taylor (334*, 92)

1000 minutes between dismissals:
1513 S Chanderpaul (67*, 101*, 136*, 58: 362 runs)
1246 JH Kallis (as above)
1224 SR Tendulkar (as above)
1161 RS Dravid (as above)
1064 AN Cook (since the page was written (obviously): 235*, 148: 383
runs)
1022 N Hussain (70*, 146*, 15: 231 runs)
1007 Shoaib Mohammad (203*, 105: 308 runs)

Brian Lawrence

Dec 5, 2010, 8:19:53 AM12/5/10
"Andrew B." <bul...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Andrew, I had missed that article. A useful starting point :-)

--

Brian

Howzzat

Dec 5, 2010, 12:35:40 PM12/5/10
On Dec 4, 9:31 pm, "vijaykum...@my-deja.com" <vijaykum...@my-deja.com>
wrote:

> As Pietersen brought up his 200, the commentators
> were talking about Test 200s.
>
> Apparently, this was just the 12th 200 for England vs
> Aus.
>
> How many 200s have each team scored in Tests, in all?
>
> I would reckon India has about 40 or so. Before SRT made
> his debut, you could count them on your fingers -
> SMG (4)
> Mankad (2)
> MAK Pataudi
> Sardesai
> Gaekwad
> Vishy
> ??
>
> Since then, SRT, Dravid, Ganguly, Sehwag, Laxman,
> Gambhir, Sidhu have added several more to the list.

You forgot Kambli, who scored 2 double hundreds before any of these
"moderns" in 1993.

Although I wonder why you would associate India's double-hundred
renaissance with SRT's debut, when the man himself didn't get his
first until 10 years after debuting.

fritz

Dec 5, 2010, 8:24:10 PM12/5/10

"Brian Lawrence" <Brian_W_...@msn.com> wrote in message news:8m19m5...@mid.individual.net...

> <vijay...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
>> As Pietersen brought up his 200, the commentators
>> were talking about Test 200s.
>>
>> Apparently, this was just the 12th 200 for England vs
>> Aus.
>
> Actually it was the 13th.
> Australian batsmen have scored 23 200s vs. England (DGB accounting
> for 8 of those). The most recent was by Langer at Melbourne in
> December 2002.

So the '200's' score shows Australia's dominance over England...historically.
England 13
Australia 23

It will take several more Ashes tests before England can even hope to overcome that deficit.

Brian Lawrence

Dec 6, 2010, 4:03:37 AM12/6/10
"fritz" <yap...@microsoft.com> wrote:

> "Brian Lawrence" <Brian_W_...@msn.com> wrote:

>>> As Pietersen brought up his 200, the commentators
>>> were talking about Test 200s.
>>>
>>> Apparently, this was just the 12th 200 for England vs
>>> Aus.
>>
>> Actually it was the 13th.
>> Australian batsmen have scored 23 200s vs. England (DGB accounting
>> for 8 of those). The most recent was by Langer at Melbourne in
>> December 2002.
>
> So the '200's' score shows Australia's dominance over England...historically.
> England 13
> Australia 23
>
> It will take several more Ashes tests before England can even hope to overcome that deficit.

Ian Chappell was suggesting England might reach 500 in every Test and someone might score
200 in each match :-)

It might be interesting to look at numbers scored per decade:

Decade AUS ENG Australia : England
1880s 1 - Murdoch
1890s 1 - SE Gregory
1900s - 1 : RE Foster
1910s - -
1920s 1 2 Ryder : Hammond (2)
1930s 10 4 Bradman (7), Ponsford,
McCabe, Brown : Hammond (2), Paynter, Hutton
1940s 2 - Bradman, Barnes
1950s 1 - Morris
1960s 3 1 Simpson (2), Cowper : Barrington
1970s 1 - Stackpole
1980s 1 1 Taylor : Gower
1990s 1 1 Border : Hussain
2000s 1 1 Langer : Collingwood
2010s - 2 : Cook, Pietersen
23 13

Some other Ashes 200s factoids

Murdoch, Bradman (3), Simpson (2) & Border were captaining Australia; Hammond (1)
& Gower did the same for England.

Foster scored his 287 on Test debut.

Gregory, Bradman (1), Barnes & Cowper scored theirs on their current home ground,
no one has done so for England.

Morris, Cowper, Taylor & Border were left-handers, as were Paynter, Gower & Cook.

Of Australia's 23 11 were scored in England & 12 in Australia. Of England's 13
six were scored in England and seven in Australia. Curiously England's first
four (1903-36) were scored in Australia, their next six (1938-97) in England,
and their last three in Australia (2006-10).

Bradman & Ponsford both scored 200s at The Oval in 1934, as did Bradman & Barnes
at Sydney in 1946. McCabe (Aus) & Paynter (Eng) scored 200s in the same Test at
Nottingham in 1938, as did Brown (Aus) & Hammond (Eng) at Lord's in the same
series. A similar thing happened at Manchester in 1964 when Simpson (Aus) &
Barrington (Eng) did so.

Removing Bradman makes the two teams efforts in this aspect quite similar, although
removing Hammond would diminish England significantly too.

Another Bradman stat I unearthed:

During his career he was one of the not out batsmen at the close of play 31 times,
in 19 of which he was the higher-order batsman and in 12 he was the lower-order
batsman. Obviously as the higher-order batsman he had been batting longer than
when he was not out as the lower-order batsman. However, in the 19 high-order
not outs his score was only twice lower than 50 (16 & 27), twice lower than 100
(71 & 76), and fifteen times he was over 100 (4 x 200, 1 x 300).

The other 12 (lower-order) innings are not so impressive, but he had scored over
100 once, over 50 five times, and under 50 six times (three single digit scores).

--

Brian

fish womper

Dec 6, 2010, 4:13:48 AM12/6/10

>>> Actually it was the 13th.
>>> Australian batsmen have scored 23 200s vs. England (DGB accounting
>>> for 8 of those). The most recent was by Langer at Melbourne in
>>> December 2002.
>>
>> So the '200's' score shows Australia's dominance over
>> England...historically.
>> England 13
>> Australia 23
>>
>> It will take several more Ashes tests before England can even hope to
>> overcome that deficit.
>
> Ian Chappell was suggesting England might reach 500 in every Test and
> someone might score
> 200 in each match :-)

Chappelli seems to be down to his last dozen or so brain cells.

fritz

Dec 6, 2010, 4:57:25 AM12/6/10

"Brian Lawrence" <Brian_W_...@msn.com> wrote in message news:8m3n7l...@mid.individual.net...

Interesting - if you start after Bradman, the score is 8 to 6 (as I write this !)

I don't think these big scores are doing anything to promote cricket - I find watching
a batsman slog away all day to be incredibly boring. Maybe it is because I saw the
Lillee-Thompson era - but for me the real excitement comes from the stumps flying
out of the ground, not a nick to third man for the single that makes a boring century.