Maybe it does even out after all.......

1 view

Jughead

Jan 19, 2008, 12:54:08 AM1/19/08
Atleast in Symond's case..............

-Aravind
(Who is definitely not complaining)

Gireesh Bhat

Jan 19, 2008, 12:56:24 AM1/19/08

"Jughead" <arvin...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ca0cdea7-1c99-4553...@i72g2000hsd.googlegroups.com...

> Atleast in Symond's case..............
>
> -Aravind
> (Who is definitely not complaining)

yes but it is still a wrong decision :)
Just as the contest between Symonds and Kumble was warming up....

Gireesh
(wondering if the BCCI will complain about Bowden now)

Mark Shea

Jan 19, 2008, 12:55:41 AM1/19/08
Jughead wrote:
> Atleast in Symond's case..............

I assume Bowden can't umpire the next game now.

It does make a farce out of India's insistence on Bucknor's removal.
And out of the ICC's pseudo-non-backdown.

Mark Shea

Lindsay Went

Jan 19, 2008, 1:00:04 AM1/19/08

"Jughead" <arvin...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Atleast in Symond's case..............
>
> -Aravind
> (Who is definitely not complaining)

Change of tune when the decisions go India's way. Where are the calls to get
Bowden sacked now?

prabh...@hotmail.com

Jan 19, 2008, 1:03:01 AM1/19/08
On Jan 19, 1:00 am, "Lindsay Went" <lindsaywentnos...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> "Jughead" <arvind_c...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

That was a psychological tactic and it worked - australia played like
Bangladesh on days 1 and 2.

**MattO**

Jan 19, 2008, 5:31:27 AM1/19/08

Bucknor had to go. He went above and beyond incompentence.

Symonds if he's going to gloat about getting favourable decisions
shouldn't be showing his disgust when one goes against him. You can't
have both slices of the cake.

Cricketwallah

Jan 19, 2008, 8:48:58 AM1/19/08

**MattO** wrote:

> On Jan 19, 4:55?pm, Mark Shea <zad...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Jughead wrote:
> > > Atleast in Symond's case..............
> >
> > I assume Bowden can't umpire the next game now.
> >
> > It does make a farce out of India's insistence on Bucknor's removal.
> > And out of the ICC's pseudo-non-backdown.
> >
> > Mark Shea
>
> Bucknor had to go. He went above and beyond incompentence.

Iam sure the ICC Umpires Committee does this - they do it
for every game, for every decision, which is how the best
umpire of the year is decided, as well as promotions and
relegations from the Elite Group.... but... I'd like to actually
*see* the numbers in this case.

Take the last 2 tests. Take all the decisions the umpires
made - Benson, Bowden, Bucknor, Rauf. Analyze all of
the "mistakes" in the end (including edges given as
leg-byes, 5-ball and 7-ball overs, plumb LBWs not given
out and thigh-high ones given out etc). And find who had
the most mistakes *in total*, and let us know. Iam not
entirely sure it would actually be Bucknor, despite the
fact that it was clearly Bucknor's worst test ever (heck,
Benson may have had more mistakes than Bucknor even
at the SCG, and he doesnt even have the "Iam old now"
excuse :-)

A lot of it is mindset of the teams too IMHO (and thats probably
why Bucknor couldnt umpire this test, more than anything
else). If Bucknor had given Tendulkar LBW as Rauf did...
Tendulkar in full flow and looking for a career-bookend
century in Perth, ball hitting maybe outside line, definitely
over the top... the immediate and natural reaction of all
Indian fans (and even a lot of Indian players) would have
been an allegation of bias IMHO. Rauf made a very bad
decision in the same circumstance.. but with Rauf we have no
such mindset as we do with Bucknor (so we content
ourselves by saying "damn incompetent fool, oh well, what
else can we expect from a Pakistani umpire".. but we
say it without any true malice in our hearts, and move on :-)

> Symonds if he's going to gloat about getting favourable decisions
> shouldn't be showing his disgust when one goes against him. You can't
> have both slices of the cake.

Which current international player does *not* have both slices
of the cake? That is, which current international player
actually walks all the time, and/or never looks disappointed
when he is given out? Which bowler does not look distraught
when an obvious caught-behind is turned down, but does not
also gleefully accept an obvious non-caught-behind which is
wrongly given out?

I dont really have any problem with what Symonds did - I
didnt see it as a "gloat" the first time to start with, just an
honest opinion given when he was asked (that, yes, he
had edged it - but he accepts it both ways; on being asked
would it have been better if he had said "no! I never!" when
it was obvious on replay that he had?). And when he
was wrongly given out at a critical juncture today, he didnt
remonstrate or yell at the umpire in the middle, he was
very disappointed and it showed, and he ended up making
way for Gilly. Swings and roundabouts, in the end.

Sadiq [ general acceptance of stuff this test, mostly ] Yusuf