Wait a second - Symonds and Hussey were not out

1 view

Enzo

Jan 20, 2008, 1:10:22 AM1/20/08
Having participated in the denouncing of the umpiring and gamesmanship
at Sydney, I am left with no option but to say that Symonds and Hussey
were done in by the umpires. This is not academical, as Hussey was
looking very solid and we all know how dangerous Symonds can be.

I dont see much whining from the Aussie contingent regarding this.
However, a wrong is a wrong and two wrongs do not make a right.
Nor do things even up ( as the Indians here repeatedly said after
Sydney ). India simply got lucky with the umpiring and did not
deserve to win the game according to the strict criteria of neutral
technology-assisted umpiring combined with an appeals process.

Good effort by some of the Indian players. Sharma was simply
outstanding in the one spell and Laxman played a great innings
in the 2nd. Sehwag and Pathan were standouts. As to the bad,
India needs a better test keeper/batsman than Dhoni, a better
opener than Jaffer and a better allrounder than Ganguly.

Enzo [ umpiring is the biggest blight on the sport ]

Andrew Symonds

Jan 20, 2008, 1:31:16 AM1/20/08

"Enzo" <s_deb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

It would have been impossible for any umpire to have seen
with naked eyes the feather edge of my bat before hitting the
pads that occured in the last fraction of a second.

Have not seen Husseys decision but Tendulkar got a bad
decision in first innings too and Tendulkar is the second
best batsman in the Indian team in this series.

Umpiring at Perth test has no bearing on the outcome of the
match while it had at Sydney test.

Enzo

Jan 20, 2008, 2:00:15 AM1/20/08
On Jan 20, 1:31 am, "Andrew Symonds"
<AndrewSymonds379remt...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Enzo" <s_debgu...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Having participated in the denouncing of the umpiring and gamesmanship
> > at Sydney, I am left with no option but to say that Symonds and Hussey
> > were done in by the umpires. This is not academical, as Hussey was
> > looking very solid and we all know how dangerous Symonds can be.
>
> > I dont see much whining from the Aussie contingent regarding this.
> > However, a wrong is a wrong and two wrongs do not make a right.
> > Nor do things even up ( as the Indians here repeatedly said after
> > Sydney ). India simply got lucky with the umpiring and did not
> > deserve to win the game according to the strict criteria of neutral
> > technology-assisted umpiring combined with an appeals process.
>
> > Good effort by some of the Indian players. Sharma was simply
> > outstanding in the one spell and Laxman played a great innings
> > in the 2nd. Sehwag and Pathan were standouts. As to the bad,
> > India needs a better test keeper/batsman than Dhoni, a better
> > opener than Jaffer and a better allrounder than Ganguly.
>
> > Enzo [ umpiring is the biggest blight on the sport ]
>
> It would have been impossible for any umpire to have seen
> with naked eyes the feather edge of my bat before hitting the
> pads that occured in the last fraction of a second.

I saw that edge clearly in real time. It was not a feather.

> Have not seen Husseys decision

Then you are not in a position to comment.

> but Tendulkar got a bad
> decision in first innings too and Tendulkar is the second
> best batsman in the Indian team in this series.

Primarily because he was let off by the umpires in his
big innings in Sydney, not once, but twice.

> Umpiring at Perth test has no bearing on the outcome of the

> match while it had at Sydney test.- Hide quoted text -

Wrong. It had a clear bearing, as Symonds and Hussey could
easily have scored the additional 70-odd runs needed.

Enzo [ most Indians on rsc are US-based cricinfo ball-by-ball types ]

Dave -Turner

Jan 20, 2008, 2:02:18 AM1/20/08
> I dont see much whining from the Aussie contingent regarding this.

And on the contrary Indian supporters here were making posts like "the
umpires have just given the Aussies the test match" on the very last day,
even though they went on to win that day.

Dave -Turner

Jan 20, 2008, 2:03:15 AM1/20/08
> Umpiring at Perth test has no bearing on the outcome of the
> match while it had at Sydney test.

Hussey and Symonds were both wrongfully given out by bad umpiring decisions,
its nothing short of hypocritical to say that it only affected the outcome
of the Sydney test and not Perth.

Enzo

Jan 20, 2008, 2:07:17 AM1/20/08

You have to understand that cricket ( or rather, success at cricket,
which is not the same thing at all ) is very important to the fragile
psyche of the average America-based Indian.

Enzo [ while very few people who live in India care at all about
tests
and no one in my locality was watching day 5 at Sydney or
Perth ]

King Of Pain

Jan 20, 2008, 2:27:47 AM1/20/08
"Enzo" <s_deb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I would actually fall in the opposite end of the spectrum w.r.t to umpiring.
I refuse to blame the umpires for Sydney since it was a game that India
should have drawn. I tend to think the furore wouldn't have been half as
intense had we played out the three overs without losing 3 wickets to
Clarke. Having said as much after the second test, I shall sweetly savour
the victory that we earned thoroughly in this test IMHO. I do admit that
Symonds and Hussey were likely not out (and I Rogers wasn't out in my book
in I1 either), but the same could be said of Dhoni and Sachin's dismissals.
The umpiring is an uncontrollable variable that's part of the game and I
must say that it was better than T2 and probably fairer (more consistent).
However, as I said before, the umpiring was not to blame for our loss in
Sydney any way you look at it. Far reaching theories might suggest India
were deprived of a win (I do not htink so) and I think India were to blame
more than anything else for grabbing defeat from the jaws of a draw.

Cheers!
--
Vig

King Of Pain

Jan 20, 2008, 2:38:29 AM1/20/08

"Enzo" <s_deb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
<quote>

You have to understand that cricket ( or rather, success at cricket,
which is not the same thing at all ) is very important to the fragile
psyche of the average America-based Indian.
</quote>

I've lived in the US for the last 5 years and I call BS.I think you have
some repressed emotions about some America-based Indians that you are
projecting on the rest of us.

<quote>

Enzo [ while very few people who live in India care at all about
tests
and no one in my locality was watching day 5 at Sydney or
Perth ]

</quote>

I used to watch more test cricket than ODOs when I lived in India. My
interest in ODOs waned after I entered my teens and amongst schoolmates, we
talked about tests a lot more than we talked about ODOs. My clearest cricket
related memories from HS in India are Kumble's 10, Laxman's 281, Sachin's
Madras 'runaway', Pak playing us in an empty stadium. I'll call BS again.

Cheers!
--
Vig

eusebius

Jan 20, 2008, 6:45:46 AM1/20/08
On Jan 20, 5:38 pm, "King Of Pain" <v...@gatech.eedeeyoo> wrote:
> "Enzo" <s_debgu...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> <quote>
> You have to understand that cricket ( or rather, success at cricket,
> which is not the same thing at all ) is very important to the fragile
> psyche of the average America-based Indian.
> </quote>
>
> I've lived in the US for the last 5 years and I call BS.I think you have
> some repressed emotions about some America-based Indians that you are
> projecting on the rest of us.

This could be in reference to 1 US based Indian in particular.

King Of Pain

Jan 20, 2008, 9:41:40 AM1/20/08

"eusebius" <euseb...@gmail.com> wrote in message
<quote>

This could be in reference to 1 US based Indian in particular.
</quote>

Clarify please?

Cheers!
--
Vig

spadma...@blgcanada.com

Jan 20, 2008, 2:48:07 PM1/20/08

Well, I think that what he was saying is that the umpiring errors were
about even in the Perth match whereas they were lopsided in the Sydney
match.

Hussey and Symonds were robbed. Actually, you could maybe even add
Rogers in there. But so were Tendulkar and Dhoni. If Tendulkar could
be said to have been give a life in I1, so was Ponting in I2.

The Sydney hue and cry by the Indians was IMO, not only because the
umpiring was lopsided but also because it was Steve Bucknor making
the most egregious errors. Rightly or wrongly, there is a perception
out there that Bucknor has it in for India. One might say that's a
bs perception. Nevertheless, it exists; hence, the great hue and cry.

eusebius

Jan 20, 2008, 8:33:33 PM1/20/08
On Jan 21, 12:41 am, "King Of Pain" <v...@gatech.eedeeyoo> wrote:
> "eusebius" <eusebiu...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Is it necessary? I thought it was obvious!

eusebius

Jan 20, 2008, 8:34:39 PM1/20/08
On Jan 21, 12:41 am, "King Of Pain" <v...@gatech.eedeeyoo> wrote:
> "eusebius" <eusebiu...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> This could be in reference to 1 US based Indian in particular.

> </quote>
>
> Clarify please?
>
> Cheers!
> --
> Vig

It isn't you if that's what you're worried about- you are one of the
more even handed of the Indian posters, IMO.

sdavmor

Jan 21, 2008, 9:30:35 PM1/21/08

You need to brush up a bit on the RSC concept of reverse woofing. From
my perspective most of the Indian posts on D4 @ Perth were amusingly
blatent reverse woofs.
--
Cheers,
SDM -- a 21st century schizoid man

sdavmor

Jan 21, 2008, 9:32:22 PM1/21/08

Very.

eusebius

Jan 22, 2008, 2:22:11 AM1/22/08
On Jan 22, 12:32 pm, sdavmor <sdav...@fakeemailaddy.com> wrote:
> eusebiuswrote:

Maybe we just have the same thought nodes inserted by evil secret
agents.

Spaceman Spiff

Jan 22, 2008, 5:18:29 PM1/22/08
Enzo <s_deb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jan 20, 2:02 am, "Dave -Turner" <n...@no.no> wrote:
>>> I dont see much whining from the Aussie contingent regarding this.
>>
>> And on the contrary Indian supporters here were making posts like
>> "the umpires have just given the Aussies the test match" on the very
>> last day, even though they went on to win that day.
>
> You have to understand that cricket ( or rather, success at cricket,
> which is not the same thing at all ) is very important to the fragile
> psyche of the average America-based Indian.

i think enzo is just bitter because dada had a poor test and was then
dropped from the odo side.

--
stay cool,
Spaceman Spiff

get your own damn grateful dead lyrics.
http://arts.ucsc.edu/gdead/agdl/

Enzo

Jan 23, 2008, 5:37:43 AM1/23/08
On Jan 22, 5:18 pm, "Spaceman Spiff" <spaceman_sp...@nospammail.com>
wrote:

Er, I posted this way before the ODI selection.

Enzo [ logic not being the spaceman's strong point, he coughs out
rubbish ]

Message has been deleted

Spaceman Spiff

Jan 23, 2008, 12:18:21 PM1/23/08

ooh, nice comeback. how long did it take you to think that up?
i see you didn't dispute the bit about being bitter about dada having a bad
test.