Tip hardness and consistency (part 1)

Murray Tucker III

Jan 2, 2001, 5:35:03 PM1/2/01
These are some numbers that I put together for Jerry (raveloman) and I
thought that I would share them with the group. I am running low on Triangle
and LePro tips right now but I am expecting my order to come in any day now
and then I will add them to the list. All numbers are in durometers.

Instroke 11 layer (H) 16 tips tested
mode 67.5
mean 66.41
standard deviation 2.88

Porper LAMA, 5 tips tested
mode 65
mean 63
standard deviation 2.74

Hercules (M) 6 tips tested
mode 67.5
mean 63.33
standard deviation 4.92

Triumph, 42 tips tested
mode 70
mean 69.35
standard deviation 2.71

Elk Master, 9 tips tested
mode 65
mean 65
standard deviation 3.78

--
Murray Tucker III
www.tuckerbilt.com/iii

Tony Mathews

Jan 2, 2001, 10:23:02 PM1/2/01

> Instroke 11 layer (H) 16 tips tested
> mode 67.5
> mean 66.41
> standard deviation 2.88
>
> Porper LAMA, 5 tips tested
> mode 65
> mean 63
> standard deviation 2.74
>
> Hercules (M) 6 tips tested
> mode 67.5
> mean 63.33
> standard deviation 4.92
>
> Triumph, 42 tips tested
> mode 70
> mean 69.35
> standard deviation 2.71
>
> Elk Master, 9 tips tested
> mode 65
> mean 65
> standard deviation 3.78

Thanks for the info.
I think that the durometer scale is not quite right for cue tips. Note that the
Elkmaster and Hercules could overlap. But there is a big difference between the
elk and the hercules (the hercules is much "harder"). There is another scale for
testing "soft" materials but the name escapes me.

Thanks again,

Tony

tom simpson

Jan 2, 2001, 10:02:38 PM1/2/01
Murray,

The range of means in your test results is 63-69. Is this much
of a difference? Can you give us some idea of what the numbers
mean?

tom simpson

Fred Agnir

Jan 3, 2001, 10:28:23 AM1/3/01

Murray Tucker III wrote in message ...

>These are some numbers that I put together for Jerry (raveloman) and I
>thought that I would share them with the group. I am running low on
Triangle
>and LePro tips right now but I am expecting my order to come in any day now
>and then I will add them to the list. All numbers are in durometers.

What's the scale? Shore A? The numbers look to close to each other.

Murray Tucker III

Jan 3, 2001, 12:48:10 PM1/3/01
Yes, 63 to 69 is significant. The way a D shore scale works is every pound
of force needed to push the spike into the sample is equal to 10 durometers.

--
Murray Tucker III
i...@tuckerbilt.com
tom simpson <tsim...@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

Murray Tucker III

Jan 3, 2001, 12:49:50 PM1/3/01
I use a d scale.

Fred Agnir <oha...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Ken Bour

Jan 3, 2001, 9:26:21 PM1/3/01
Let's see what happens if we apply a 95% confidence (2 sigma) interval to
these results:

Instroke: 60.65 - 72.17
Porper: 57.52 - 68.48
Hercules: 53.49 - 73.17
Triumph: 63.93 - 74.77
Elk Master: 57.44 - 72.56

Admittedly, some of the sample sizes are small, but these data do not make a
very good case for tip manufacturers. It hardly makes a difference which
manufacturer you select. Your chances of getting a soft or hard tip are
about the same. What ever happened to Quality Control? Deming would be
rolling over in his grave at these variances!

Ken Bour

"Murray Tucker III" <i...@tuckerbilt.com> wrote in message

Tony Mathews

Jan 4, 2001, 2:50:13 AM1/4/01

Ken Bour wrote:

> Let's see what happens if we apply a 95% confidence (2 sigma) interval to
> these results:
>
> Instroke: 60.65 - 72.17
> Porper: 57.52 - 68.48
> Hercules: 53.49 - 73.17
> Triumph: 63.93 - 74.77
> Elk Master: 57.44 - 72.56
>
> Admittedly, some of the sample sizes are small, but these data do not make a
> very good case for tip manufacturers. It hardly makes a difference which
> manufacturer you select. Your chances of getting a soft or hard tip are
> about the same. What ever happened to Quality Control? Deming would be
> rolling over in his grave at these variances!

Yes he would! This is why I tell people that you can get a "medium" tip from
nearly any tip manufacturer even if the box says soft or hard! A good tip can be
had from all of the major brands and it is amazing how similar they all perform
when chosen for similar hardness. But some brands have more "dogs" in the box
than others.

Tony

Otto

Jan 3, 2001, 9:33:01 PM1/3/01

"Ken Bour" <kb...@erols.com> wrote in message

> Admittedly, some of the sample sizes are small, but these data do not make
> very good case for tip manufacturers. It hardly makes a difference which
> manufacturer you select. Your chances of getting a soft or hard tip are
> about the same. What ever happened to Quality Control? Deming would be
> rolling over in his grave at these variances!

Throw in my stroke and we are splitting hairs with a baseball bat.

Otto