The Greatest Shot I've Ever Seen ...... imo

Smorgass Bored

Mar 11, 2003, 2:03:03 AM3/11/03
I'm sorry that I can't access & use the online table and balls (the
Wei table) to display this shot, but I'll try to 'describe' it.

I don't play very well, but I've seen plenty of players shoot some
great shots over the past 40 plus years. As all my friends and many here
know, I love to travel to watch great players and great matches. I've
seen some amazing shots made under trying circumstances and conditions.
With that said, I'd like to try to explain the greatest shot that I've
ever witnessed first hand.

My friend and Planet 9-Ball owner Ken Miller is a quadriplegic in a
wheelchair and a damned fine poolplayer. He wasn't a one-pocket player,
because there are many shots on the table that he simply can't reach.
Because of my new found love for one-pocket, Ken has taken to practicing
with me on a fairly regular schedule. We play on a fairly fast and tight
Ebony Robertson table that was Buddy Hall's 'special table' while he was
house Pro at P-9-Ball. We call it 'The Buddy Table' and action on this
table usually draws a crowd of onlookers (including a least a half dozen
or more 'prejuidiced' locals that always pull for my opponent and won't
let me get away with ANYTHING). They've been known to scream at the end
of my inning, "HE OWES A BALL", "HE'S TAKING THE OWED BALL OUT OF
**YOUR** POCKET" and my all time favorite " NOTHING HIT A RAIL." I
mean, don't they have JOBS or something ? Someplace else they just
HAVE to be ? Anyway, I digress....
Kenny and I were playing one-pocket and while I never 'intentionally'
leave the cueball in a spot where he can't reach it, it sometime
happens. As you face the rack of balls, Ken has the right corner pocket
and I have the left. Most of the balls are still in the rack area and I
left the cueball 'just to right' of where the head ball would be and a
few inches uptable from the rack spot. The four ball is about four
inches off the end rail and about fifteen inches from the side rail by
his pocket (almost by the center spot on the footrail) . I'm right
handed and if it were MY shot, I'd have to lean out over the table and
attempt to THINLY cut this ball into my pocket. I figure to make it
about 2-3 times out of ten.
Kenny has a small portable 'bridge' (you may have seen him use it on
one of his appearances on ESPN) that has a small round brass base and
what looks like a brass letter C protruding upward from the base. This
allows him to use the base of the letter C as his bridge and then lift
the whole thing up off the table by using the top of the letter C.
Ken is right handed and it was immediately evident that from the end
rail, he would be almost a foot short of being able to use his bridge
and actually HIT the cueball. Kenny used an extra amount of time (for
him) to place the tip of his cue on his portable bridge and aim the tip
at EXACTLY where he'd need to hit the cueball in order to cut the four
ball across to his pocket. I don't know what was taking so damned long
for him to aim a shot that he couldn't possible reach. I finally
hollored, " c'mon Kenny, SHOOTEMUP."
I'm sorry that I doubted him. Kenny proceeded to wheel his chair
around the table, while leaving his cue lying on the table with the
forward part of his shaft resting firmly in his portable bridge. He
rolled snuggly up to my side of table, by the side pocket, BUT, facing
the wrong way. He's right handed, but he picked up his cue with his LEFT
hand. Remember, the tip of the cue, the bridge, the cueball and the four
ball are all BEHIND HIM. He kept moving the butt of his cue back and
forth, while looking at the inside of the corner pocket that he was
facing. This would be the corner that is cater-corner from his pocket,
nine feet away. I finally and impatiently asked him what he DOING...
(he just LOVES to toy with me)
He said that he was 'finding his spot' in the corner pocket and aimimg
at it with the butt of his cue. With one quick glance over his shoulder,
he stroked a couple of times and then SHOT, backwards,left handed, in
the opposite direction, without looking and hit the cueball perfectly
sending it towards the end rail BEHIND HIM, where it made contact with
the four and thinly cut it into the corner. My face turned red, my ears
started to tingle & burn, I felt feverish and I managed to croak,
"ggggood shot". I sat paralyzed, while Ken "The Rolling Shark" Miller
went on to beat me 8-0.
I mean, come ON. Where do these people come up with shots (to beat ME)
?
Why does it always happen to ME ? Why do they play their career best
against ME ? What have I done to anger the pool gods, that I deserve
THIS ? I mean, oy-vey. No, really, OY- friggin-VEY ! What's next, Ray
Charles running out a nineball rack for my total bankroll ?
My hat's off to Ken Miller. That was a Great shot. The best I've
seen. It reinforces my love of the game and the people that play it so
well.
I aspire to oneday become half the player that you are. I'm glad that
you're my friend.

Doug
~>*(((>< Big fish eat Little fish ><)))*<~

Bill O

Mar 11, 2003, 10:04:25 AM3/11/03
this
> table usually draws a crowd of onlookers (including a least a half dozen
> or more 'prejudiced locals that always pull for my opponent and won't

> let me get away with ANYTHING). They've been known to scream at the end
> of my inning, "HE OWES A BALL", "HE'S TAKING THE OWED BALL OUT OF
> **YOUR** POCKET" and my all time favorite " NOTHING HIT A RAIL." I
> mean, don't they have JOBS or something ? Someplace else they just
> HAVE to be ? Anyway, I digress....
This is sooo true!

Back in December, on the one day I was able to take advantage of Doug's
Hospitality, he opened P - 9 Ball early so we could to bang some balls.
The night before, when I arrived from NY, in my haste to schlep all the
bags, plus my wife and mother-in-law into my nieces car, I had left the
cardboard box with my Predator and break cue in the airport
elevator, and by the time I realized this and went back the box was
"gone," not confiscated by alert security, or turned in to the
authorities by an honest citizen, just "gone."
So when I showed up to play, Doug graciously lent me his Arnot and the only
other person around was Kenny. I would say the in less than a half hour
people began drifting in, not to play, but to watch us and in particular to
harass Doug. It was un freakin' believable. I'll bet their were 1/2 a
dozen guy's in less than an hour and the room wasn't officially "opened" as
yet. Doug had told me stories about this, which I took with a grain of
salt. But now I can attest to the veracity of his story and only wonder,
whether or not the pool room chalk when mixed with the Florida sun causes
some type of chemical imbalance.
Bill O

"Smorgass Bored" <Smorga...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Steve

Mar 11, 2003, 1:12:38 PM3/11/03
Smorga...@webtv.net (Smorgass Bored) wrote in message news:<3934-3E6...@storefull-2314.public.lawson.webtv.net>...

> I'm sorry that I can't access & use the online table and balls (the
> Wei table) to display this shot, but I'll try to 'describe' it.

It would have helped envision the shot.

> ... My friend and Planet 9-Ball owner Ken Miller is a quadriplegic in a

> wheelchair and a damned fine poolplayer. He wasn't a one-pocket player,

Does your friend give lessons? I have a long time friend who had a
widow-maker fall on him about 20 years ago when he was clearing some
land for a contractor. Long story short he's lucky to be alive, but
wound up paralyzed from the waist down. A couple of years ago he got a
pool table and asked me to give him some advice, but besides the fact
that he lives in FL and I'm in MA I had a tough time translating to
how things would be done from a sitting position (especially since I'm
not much of a teacher or player anyway). At any rate if your friend
does give lessons I can let my friend know and he may be willing to
make the trek down there (he's around Jacksonville I believe).
Steve. <-- aka, sel...@attbi.com

Play4aBuck

Mar 11, 2003, 2:23:59 PM3/11/03

Smorgass Bored wrote in message
<3934-3E6...@storefull-2314.public.lawson.webtv.net>...

> I'm sorry that I can't access & use the online table and balls (the
> Wei table) to display this shot, but I'll try to 'describe' it.

Not a problem, we will just have to focus and use our imagination. (I don't
use the wei table either, I don't like down loading code to my PC.)

Yes, it was a great shot and a very creative one too. Thanks for sharing
it.

Cheers,
Jim

Bob Jewett

Mar 11, 2003, 12:46:16 PM3/11/03
In rec.sport.billiard Smorgass Bored <Smorga...@webtv.net> wrote:

[Smorg is playing the wheelchair-bound room owner...]

> I'm sorry that I doubted him. Kenny proceeded to wheel his
> chair around the table, while leaving his cue lying on the
> table with the forward part of his shaft resting firmly in his

> portable bridge. ...

It is a foul to leave the cue stick on the table while lining up
a shot. You have to maintain contact with the stick. You should
know that as a TD. Fortunately, you'll be prepared the next time
he tries to pull this trick. You let these people get away with
cheating at pool, and the next thing you know, they'll want curb
cuts and reserved parking spaces.

--

Bob Jewett

Smorgass Bored

Mar 11, 2003, 8:14:12 PM3/11/03

Bob Jewett scolded:
It is a foul to leave the cue stick on the table while lining up a
shot. You have to maintain contact with the stick. You should know that
as a TD. Fortunately, you'll be prepared the next time he tries to pull
this trick. You let these people get away with cheating at pool, and the
next thing you know, they'll want curb cuts and reserved parking spaces.
--
Bob Jewett

(*<~ I know/knew that it was a foul in games being played by
'walkers', but wheelchair players get 'some' slack. I believe that my
friend Kenny is on 'the long stall' and if the money ever gets high
enough, he'll simply stand up and shoot a jump masse shot for all the
cheese.....

Btw, in a few weeks I'll be the TD for the Wheelchair U.S.Open 9-Ball
Tournament for the fourth year in a row. As you probably know, it's a
foul for a wheelchair player to shoot a shot with their ass raised up
off the seat of the chair. I've yet to find even ONE participant that
will let me slide my hand under their ass to see if they're abiding by
the rules.
What's up with THAT ?

I mean, sheesh........

Smorgass Bored

Mar 11, 2003, 8:35:41 PM3/11/03
Steve asked:

Does your friend give lessons?
Long story short he's lucky to be alive, but wound up paralyzed from
the waist down.
A couple of years ago he got a pool table and asked me to give him some
advice.

At any rate if your friend does give lessons I can let my friend know
and he may be willing to make the trek down there (he's around
Jacksonville I believe). Steve. <-- aka, sel...@attbi.com

(*<~ Steve, I'm sorry but my friend doesn't give lessons.
Imo, you friend should learn to grip the cue,aim and execute a/the shot
with whatever feels comfortable for him. He will then need to learn like
the rest of us (books,tapes,articles,newsgroups and practice) and when
he has learned the basics and gone as far as he can go, he should seek
the expertise of better players or Pros. It ain't easy, but the journey
may be rewarding and the results may be exciting.... regards,

Ron Shepard

Mar 12, 2003, 1:49:26 AM3/12/03
Does your friend have a cue extender? I would think with a cue
extender, he would probably be able (with the mechanical bridge) to
reach the cue ball on the foot spot, or maybe even a little farther
away, from the head of the table.

Of course if he can shoot backwards, left-handed, without looking,
and still pocket balls, then who am I to suggest a change in
technique?

$.02 -Ron Shepard

Gideon Forrest

Mar 12, 2003, 2:59:25 AM3/12/03
Snip happens...

> Steve asked:
> Does your friend give lessons?

> At any rate if your friend does give lessons I can let my friend know

> and he may be willing to make the trek down there (he's around
> Jacksonville I believe). Steve. <-- aka, sel...@attbi.com
>
> (*<~ Steve, I'm sorry but my friend doesn't give lessons.

[and in another post] (*<~ Btw, in a few weeks I'll be the TD for the

Wheelchair U.S.Open 9-Ball Tournament for the fourth year in a row.

Doug, why not ask the players at the Wheelchair U.S. Open if they, or
someone they know, gives lessons somewhere near Jacksonville. I can't think
of a better group of guys to ask.

Regards,

Gideon

Smorgass Bored

Mar 12, 2003, 8:44:56 AM3/12/03

Ron Shepard sleuthed:

(*<~ As a matter of fact, he DOES. He didn't attempt to go get it
from his office and I didn't offer to fetch..... (I'm VERY competitive)

Smorgass Bored

Mar 12, 2003, 8:49:14 AM3/12/03

Gideon Forrest orders:
[and in another post] (*<~   Btw, in a few weeks I'll be the TD for
the Wheelchair U.S.Open 9-Ball Tournament for the fourth year in a row.

Doug, why not ask the players at the Wheelchair U.S. Open if they, or
someone they know, gives lessons somewhere near Jacksonville. I can't
think of a better group of guys to ask.
Regards,
Gideon

(*<~ OK, OK, as if I don't already have enough to do, what with
trying to decide what I'm going to eat & drink for three days, I'll ask
them.

sheesh, why didn't I think of that....

Jdes

Mar 12, 2003, 11:18:19 AM3/12/03
Great story.. I am assuming though (and I ain;t trying to be a smartass)
that your friend is a paraplegic (waist down?)
I just want to get the story straight cause this is definatley one for the
guys at the pool hall.. and I might have to try it myself.

Smorgass Bored

Mar 12, 2003, 12:49:43 PM3/12/03

jdesil...@rogers.com (Jdes)
Great story.. I am assuming though (and I ain;t trying to be a smartass)
that your friend is a paraplegic (waist down?) I just want to get the
story straight cause this is definatley one for the guys at the pool
hall.. and I might have to try it myself.

(*<~ Nope, as I stated in my story, my friend is a quadriplegic,
which makes his feat even more amazing to me. He is often the only
quadriplegic participating in the wheelchair tournaments and has reached
the finals of many events.

he plays a mean game of poker TOO,

Frank G

Mar 12, 2003, 2:23:25 PM3/12/03
In article <16822-3E6F7337-58@storefull-
2317.public.lawson.webtv.net>, Smorga...@webtv.net says...
:|: (*<~ Nope, as I stated in my story, my friend is a quadriplegic,

:|:which makes his feat even more amazing to me. He is often the only
:|:quadriplegic participating in the wheelchair tournaments and has reached
:|:the finals of many events.
:|:
:|:
If all four limbs are not working properly (this is what quadriplegic
means, to me anyway), how does he stroke the cue stick?
--
frank_at_quick-clean.com (change _at_ to @)

Smorgass Bored

Mar 12, 2003, 3:02:21 PM3/12/03
Frank asks:

If all four limbs are not working properly (this is what quadriplegic
means, to me anyway), how does he stroke the cue stick?
--
frank_at_quick-clean

(*<~ It isn't easy and to make matters worse, he has a 'tic' or
'hiccup' which occurs unannounced during his preshot routine which
causes him to try to guesstimate when to pull the trigger.
Btw, if you'd have come to P-9-Ball when you said you were (and while
I had the band, dancing girls and munchables) you not only would have
these answers, but you'd probably have sold some product as well......
imo

oh, well.........

Frank G

Mar 12, 2003, 4:22:12 PM3/12/03
In article <29747-3E6F924D-53@storefull-
2313.public.lawson.webtv.net>, Smorga...@webtv.net says...
:|:Btw, if you'd have come to P-9-Ball when you said you were (and while

:|:I had the band, dancing girls and munchables) you not only would have
:|:these answers, but you'd probably have sold some product as well......
:|:imo
:|:
:|:
You were out dipping your worm somewhere (fishing, as I recall), and
I was being bugged by Momma to "get me back home". I'll be back in
FLA some time this year, I'm sure and we can hook up and play some
one hole and throw back a few bubbly beverages. If you give me 14 to
6 and the breaks, I may even be able to win a game now and then.