Straight Rail questions

Chris Sterritt

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

Hello,

I'd appreciate knowing a bit more about the carom-table game
straight-rail. I've heard it's very popular in Europe and Japan. I
think I have a basic feel for the rules, but I'm curious about 'stats':

Is it played in leagues? What kind of format, if so?

What are (typical) amateur high runs? What's an 'impressive' amateur
ability?

Thanks very much,
--chris sterritt

Jlf

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Chris Sterritt <ster...@mrj.com> a écrit dans l'article
<35218DB4...@mrj.com>...

> Is it played in leagues?

Yes of course.

> What kind of format, if so?

for carom games, there are typically 2 format table (external):
- 3.10 m for the best players
- 2.80 m
you can find also 2.60 and 2.10 m

> What are (typical) amateur high runs? What's an 'impressive' amateur
> ability?

The best way to determine the level of a player is his average, no his high
run
average is the number of missed shots in a game (+1 for the winner).
for example : A play B in 200 point.
A start but miss
B hit 125 and miss
A hit 200
B can play 1 time (each player have the same number of shot). He hit 25

the average of A is (0+200)/2 = 100
the average of B is (125+25)/2 = 75

there are 4 basic games (in French) :

Libre (I think you call it straight-rail ?) : the cue ball must touch the
two others without any constraint (except in the corners).
- typical (good) amateur high run = 100-200, average 10-25
- professional : more than 1000, average > 500 (they play generally in 400
or 500 point each match)

Cadre 47/2, 47/1, 71/2 : The table is divided in 6 or 9 areas (I don't know
if my English is understandable !). With a special chalk you draw lines on
the table to divide it.

Cadre 47/2 : three square of 47 cm (3 x 47 = distance between long
cushion) along each small cushion, and three recangle between them
---------------------------------------
! ! ! !
--------------------------------------
! ! ! !
--------------------------------------
! ! ! !
--------------------------------------
Same rule than Libre, except you can't do more than 2 point with 2 non cue
ball in the same area : one of the non cue ball must exit the area at the
2d point (It can come back)
- typical (good) amateur high run = 50-100, average 7-15
- professional : more than 400, average > 50 (best are > 100)

Cadre 47/1 : for professional player. Same rule than 47/2 except that one
non cue ball must exit the area at the first point (if the 2 non cue balls
was in the same area)
- professional : 100-400, average > 50 (best are > 80, even 100)

Cadre 71/2 : for professional player. Only one line between short cushion
(4 square 71 cm and 2 rectangle). Same rule than 47/2
- professional : same (about) that 47/1

1 cushion : the cue ball must touch one cushion (or more) before the
collision with the second non cue ball.
- typical amateur high run = 30-50, average 3-5
- professional : more than 100, average > 10 (best are about 20)

3 cushion : the cue ball must touch three cushion (or more) before the
collision with the second non cue ball.
- typical amateur high run = 7-10 average 0,600-0,900
- professional : more than 15, average 1-1,500 (best are about 1,800-2.000)

Bob Jewett

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Jlf (jean-lu...@wanadoo.fr) wrote:

: > What kind of format, if so?

: for carom games, there are typically 2 format table (external):
: - 3.10 m for the best players
: - 2.80 m
: you can find also 2.60 and 2.10 m

In the US, the tables are almost exclusively "10 foot" which means that
the cushion-to-cushion distance in the long direction is 112 inches or
2.8448 meters.

: The best way to determine the level of a player is his average, no

: his high run average is the number of missed shots in a game (+1 for
: the winner).

This is called "per inning average" in the US.

: [the breaker, A, wins the game, having had one more inning than B]
: B can play 1 time (each player have the same number of shot). ...

This is called "equal innings" in the US, but usually is not played.
If the player who breaks completes the game, the non-breaker does not
get to shoot a break shot for the "equal inning".

: Libre (I think you call it straight-rail ?) : the cue ball must touch the

: two others without any constraint (except in the corners).

Yes, it is straight rail. Most people who play it in the US do not play
well enough to worry about the corners.

: Cadre 47/2, 47/1, 71/2 : The table is divided in 6 or 9 areas (I don't

: know if my English is understandable !). With a special chalk you draw
: lines on the table to divide it.

This is called "balkline" in the US, but I have never seen a game
played here. There is an exhibition tape from Accustats (tape SL2-12
from http://www.accu-stats.com/ ) that has a run at 18.2 of 134(?) by
Peter de Backer over Frederic Caudron.

The best book in English for straight rail and balkline is "Daly's
Billiard Book" which is available from Dover as a reprint. It was
originally published in about 1912. It is available for $7.12 from
amazon.com with shipping in 2 to 3 days. ISBN: 048625724X. It has
also been printed in Spanish.

: 3 cushion : the cue ball must touch three cushion (or more) before the

: collision with the second non cue ball.
: - typical amateur high run = 7-10 average 0,600-0,900
: - professional : more than 15, average 1-1,500 (best are about 1,800-2.000)

Raymond Ceulemans recently had a run of 28 (in the Dutch League?) to tie
the record set earlier by Komori -- not bad for an old guy with glasses.

Bob Jewett
Secretary, USBA