Congrats to Ewa!!!!

Bob Johnson

Jan 29, 2004, 7:40:15 PM1/29/04
The results of the Hall of Fame balloting are in: In the Greatest Player
Category, the winner is Ewa Laurance, the Meritorious Category winner is
George Balabushka.
--
Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
bo...@cris.com

ratchet

Jan 29, 2004, 8:34:15 PM1/29/04
tap..tap...tap....

9b4me

Jan 30, 2004, 2:51:06 PM1/30/04
"Bob Johnson" <bo...@cris.com> wrote in message news:<bvc95f$4...@dispatch.concentric.net>...

Can you give a little more info on what the BCA "Greatest Player
Category" means? Who was Ewa Laurance compared to?

Greatest Player is a strong statement for a pool player to hold and
i'm only asking this because i'm not familiar with who was in the
running and for what period of time the award covers.

Jholly

Bob Johnson

Jan 30, 2004, 3:55:20 PM1/30/04
This might help.

http://www.bca-pool.com/cgi/site/framegate.cgi?url=http://www.bca-pool.com/industry/hof/hof.shtml&cat=i

--
Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
bo...@cris.com

"9b4me" <jsho...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

demonrho

Jan 30, 2004, 5:57:49 PM1/30/04
The BCA should hang its head in shame if she was chosen over Earl Strickland.

Pete

Jan 30, 2004, 6:19:45 PM1/30/04
On 29 Jan 2004 19:40:15 EST, Bob Johnson <bo...@cris.com> wrote:

> The results of the Hall of Fame balloting are in: In the Greatest Player
> Category, the winner is Ewa Laurance, the Meritorious Category winner is
> George Balabushka.

So Bob,

does this mean Ewa owes you some dinner invites for all your spadework
in getting her nominated?

P.

PBat51

Jan 31, 2004, 12:01:06 AM1/31/04
Tap! Tap! Tap!

but,

PBat51..... wants to see Jersey Red in the HOF

AAboutPool

Jan 31, 2004, 1:37:00 AM1/31/04
>Tap! Tap! Tap!
>
>but,
>
>PBat51..... wants to see Jersey Red in the HOF

When Shorty Johnson was elected into the Hall about five years ago, I said in
ALL ABOUT POOL that he would be the last of the old timer gamblers voted in. I
was almost right. The Hall has become a marketing tool for many of the
companies in the BCA. What better advertising than the new Hall of Famers Ewa
or Lori Jon hawking their products. Both were strong players in
their...er....division. But there are 100 better players.

Poor Jersey Red really won't sell anything. He ain't getting in. But watch all
the wimmin' that will become Hall of Famers. And for that matter, anyone
connected with "in" crowd.

Bob Campbell
www.doitforthegame.com

Bob Johnson

Jan 31, 2004, 2:55:51 AM1/31/04
In all honesty, Allison is the only other woman that I can think of that
will definitely make it to the Hall. A couple others remain to be seen. I
can see Earl or Allen next, followed by the other. Red should be considered
at some point, along with Grady, but I think Mr. Parica has to be worked in
somewhere too.

--
Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
bo...@cris.com

"AAboutPool" <aabou...@aol.com> wrote in message

JAM

Jan 31, 2004, 6:07:42 AM1/31/04
Bob Johnson posts: [snip]

Just out of curiosity, when Efren was elected into the BCA HOF last year, who
were the other two candidates who did not make it?

I personally think Ewa is very deserving to be in the HOF. I remember about 20
years ago, she came to my area and put on an exhibition. All of us fans
received autographed pictures, which I have mine hanging by my pool table next
to my autographed Willie Mosconi photo, one of my pool treasures.

Allen Hopkins should be there, too. He's not only an accomplished player, but
he's given back to the pool community and still does to this day, as we all
know, with the Valley Forge and Gabriel events.

Earl is qualified. He is still very active in the pool circuit. I think he'll
be in there some day, no question. The fact that he was nominated is great.
Johnny Archer surely must be right behind him for qualifications to the HOF.

Allison, Karen, Jose Parica, Ronnie Allen, and others will hopefully make the
list some day, but it's just not in the cards at this time.

Congratulations to Ewa, a beautiful representative for pool, gracious and
sweet, and she's still got game, too.

JAM

Art Tripp

Jan 31, 2004, 11:35:42 AM1/31/04
I agree with you Bob, only I'd say there are SEVERAL THOUSAND better
players than Ewa. This was a politically correct, commercial
decision. Unfortunately this type of favoritism tends to cast a
shadow on the selection of the other deserving inductees. The simple
solution would be to have a women's hall of fame. Both the "in crowd"
and the commercial interests should then be happy, since there would
be twice as many spots for exploitation.

Doc

Bob Johnson

Jan 31, 2004, 1:44:24 PM1/31/04
I don't recall who was nominated but didn't get selected last year, but Earl
asked to have his name removed from consideration, for whatever reasons. He
was nominated the year before, when Jim Rempe was inducted, and would have
been again when Efren went in. I'm guessing he's pretty much a definite for
next year, unless he does something really stupid behavior wise over the
next 12 months!

--
Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
bo...@cris.com

"JAM" <jama...@aol.comnojunk> wrote in message

9b4me

Jan 31, 2004, 2:03:48 PM1/31/04
"Bob Johnson" <bo...@cris.com> wrote in message news:<bvegbo$4...@dispatch.concentric.net>...

Thanks Bob.

Jholly

GD321OU

Jan 31, 2004, 4:56:43 PM1/31/04
Could anyone in here beat Ewa in 9 ball or 1 pocket? I doubt it

Tenfttall

Feb 2, 2004, 7:53:49 PM2/2/04
gd3...@aol.com (GD321OU) wrote in message news:<20040131165643...@mb-m10.aol.com>...

> Could anyone in here beat Ewa in 9 ball or 1 pocket? I doubt it

Having no idea who you are (or you me for that matter), don't doubt
it.

I am quite sure of three things. One, I am not the best player who
posts on this board. Two, During a guys vs. girls woofing session, Ewa
turned me down for the cash playing nine ball at Amsterdam Billiard
Club in the mid 90's. Maybe my good fortune, maybe hers, who knows?
Three, I would break my leg jumping to be first to play Ewa some one
pocket for $$$.

So, to say you doubt that ANYONE who posts on this board could beat
Ewa at either game is quite an assumption....IMHO :)

By the way, with regards to this discussion, when was the last time
Ewa won something???? Placed very high? Seriously, I would like to
know? (shrug)

Frank Glenn

Feb 2, 2004, 8:06:30 PM2/2/04
In article <53f8eb3.04020...@posting.google.com>,
tenf...@msn.com says...
:|:So, to say you doubt that ANYONE who posts on this board could beat

:|:Ewa at either game is quite an assumption....IMHO :)
:|:

There are several pro players that post here. Some you know who they
are, others maybe not. You are correct that he made quite an
assumption.
Frank <-not a pro, or even a good player

Bob Johnson

Feb 2, 2004, 9:34:00 PM2/2/04
Maybe I'm mis-understanding your last sentence. I hope you aren't saying in
order to be inducted in the greatest player category you have to still be in
winning form. That would pretty much eliminate most of the greatest players
inducted!

I would say Ewa is well past her competitive prime, but still deserving of
the induction. For that matter, I would also say Eddie Kelley is well past
his prime. Why, as great as they are, how many more tournaments are we
going to see King James or Loree Jon win. I don't think the fact that Ewa
may never win another tournament against the likes of Allison, Karen, or
Helena has anything to do with whether or not she deserves to be in the
Hall.

--
Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
bo...@cris.com

Frank Glenn

Feb 2, 2004, 10:06:20 PM2/2/04
In article <bvn1ao$q...@dispatch.concentric.net>, bo...@cris.com
says...
:|: I don't think the fact that Ewa

:|:may never win another tournament against the likes of Allison, Karen, or
:|:Helena has anything to do with whether or not she deserves to be in the
:|:Hall.
:|:
:|:
I agree. She paid her dues in the early days when(and before) the
WBPA was just starting. She also traveled all over the county to new
poolhalls, signing autographs and giving a show. She is an elegant
lady, and well deserving of this award. Of course Earl & Alan are
also deserving, IMO.
Frank

Tenfttall

Feb 3, 2004, 2:40:30 AM2/3/04
"Bob Johnson" <bo...@cris.com> wrote in message news:<bvn1ao$q...@dispatch.concentric.net>...

Yes, you did misunderstand. I would never doubt the validity of her
induction. I'm ignorant, but not that ignorant! :)
The only doubt would be her current unilateral domination of all 9ball
and one pocket players who post on this board as recently suggested.

JAM

Feb 3, 2004, 6:26:52 AM2/3/04
Hey, TenftTall, do you have any videos of Ewa playing competitively?

JAM

Steve.

Feb 3, 2004, 10:07:07 AM2/3/04
jama...@aol.comnojunk (JAM) wrote in message news:<20040203062652...@mb-m26.aol.com>...

> Hey, TenftTall, do you have any videos of Ewa playing competitively?
>
> JAM

Check out accu-stats. They don't have many womens matches, presumably
they don't sell, but look at this link:

http://www.accu-stats.com/

and do a search on "ewa" you'll get a hit on 3 tapes.
Steve.

JAM

Feb 3, 2004, 10:13:21 AM2/3/04
Steve Ellis posts: "Check out Accu-Stats. They don't have many womens matches,
presumably they don't sell, but look at this link - http://www.accu-stats.com -
and do a search on 'Ewa.' You'll get a hit on 3 tapes."

Steve, I have a sneaky feeling with her BCA Hall of Fame Award, Ewa will
attract a new and larger audience and be a hot commodity in the video/DVD
market in the months ahead.

JAM

ratchet

Feb 3, 2004, 11:06:26 AM2/3/04

Frank Glenn wrote:

Hey, as far as Ewa never winning another tournament , At one time I thought
Bill Elliot would never win another race , or that Dale Jarret would never win,
period.
Or the cleveland Browns ( Bad Example ) hehehe ..... But my point is
ANY given day someone who had/has the right stuff can win ..... hell I even win
a pool match now and then hehehehe

>>>Ratchet <<< aka Tom Seifert

Bob Johnson

Feb 3, 2004, 11:47:41 AM2/3/04
She can dominate me anytime she wants. Hey, the line starts right behind
me! ;>)

--
Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
bo...@cris.com

"Tenfttall" <tenf...@msn.com> wrote in message

sonny

Feb 3, 2004, 9:03:22 PM2/3/04
On 2 Feb 2004 16:53:49 -0800, tenf...@msn.com (Tenfttall) wrote:

>By the way, with regards to this discussion, when was the last time
>Ewa won something???? Placed very high? Seriously, I would like to
>know? (shrug)

From AzBilliards:
2003 Tournament Results:
$1,900.00 9th place WPBA Delta Classic
$950.00 25th place WPBA San Diego Classic
$1,700.00 9th place BCA Open 9-Ball Championships Women's Division
$1,900.00 9th place WPBA Midwest Classic
$1,200.00 25th place WPBA US Open 9-Ball
$1,900.00 9th place WPBA Canadian Classic

--
sonny
rocky mount