Video advice please

已查看 1 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Mike Page

未读,
1998年11月4日 03:00:001998/11/4
收件人
I've got about 6 weeks till my son's 17th birthday, and I'd like to get
him one or a few videos. I know "best videos" stuff has been bounced
around a lot here, but I was hoping somebody might have more
individualized advice. Mike plays more 9-ball than anything else, but he
also plays 8-ball and some 14.1. He runs a rack occasionally, but usually
its because he got out of line and happened to make one or a few tough
shots to recover. In straight pool (equal offense), he's made it into the
second rack many times, but I don't think he's ever made it into the third
rack. I would say he knows the stuff that's in Byrne's standard book
pretty well and overall has good technical knowledge. So I suppose
general cueball control and stuff like when to use two rails instead of
one or three rails instead of two or how to recognize good safety
opportunities or identifying key balls --those kinds of things--would be
best for him. We have no videos at all. Would narrated accustat matches
be good? Are there any clearly must haves in that department?

--
mike page
fargo

Patrick Johnson

未读,
1998年11月4日 03:00:001998/11/4
收件人
Mike Page wrote:

> I've got about 6 weeks till my son's 17th birthday, and I'd like to get

> him one or a few videos. [...] Mike plays more 9-ball than anything else,

> but he
> also plays 8-ball and some 14.1.

I don't know what videos, but I'd suggest including one on 3-cushion. It
might stimulate broader interests, and learning the rails is a fundamental
skill for all cue games.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

Hawkeye9BL

未读,
1998年11月5日 03:00:001998/11/5
收件人
Accu-Stat matches would probably be the best. They are very informative and can
be studied over and over. I would suggest matches w/Buddy Hall and Nick Varner
so your son can study the run-out patterns and their simplicity.

CSmith4738

未读,
1998年11月5日 03:00:001998/11/5
收件人
Try Bert Kinister videos. I could recommend a few. Books???? Upgrade him to
PLAY YOUR BEST POOL by Phil Capelle.

[SNIP]

>So I suppose
>general cueball control and stuff like when to use two rails instead of

>one or three rails instead of two....

CUEBALL CONTROL:
60 Minute workout by Bert Kinister (volume 1).......essential patterns
Rock Around the Clock (volume 13)........a look at the clock system

SPEED CONTROL:
The Speed tape by Bert Kinister (Volume 17)
The Mighty X (Volume 9)

SAFETIES:
Bert has 4 volumes on safeties:
Volumes 6,7,15 & 25.

What I like about his videos the most, he shows you how to practice.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Clark Smith

AL11KIDS

未读,
1998年11月5日 03:00:001998/11/5
收件人
personally , I like the Perfect 8ball, 9-ball, and straight pool . all on one
video (2 hrs) by Mike Sigel,, (plus 12 trick shots too!) It's for the
experienced player but not all that advanced and has great tips for 14.1 break
shots...
hotxxxxxx

greg b.

未读,
1998年11月5日 03:00:001998/11/5
收件人
I recommend Don Feeney's set of 9 videos entitled "Private Lessons With
The Preacher". If your son studies the videos and practices diligently, he
cannot help but to develop solid fundamentals and become a much better player.

As Don says, "If you can't control the cue ball, who are you really?"
These videos are an eye-opening collection of the knowledge of a man who has
devoted much of his life to billiards. Priceless.

Greg

Mike Page wrote:

> I've got about 6 weeks till my son's 17th birthday, and I'd like to get

> him one or a few videos. I know "best videos" stuff has been bounced
> around a lot here, but I was hoping somebody might have more
> individualized advice. Mike plays more 9-ball than anything else, but he
> also plays 8-ball and some 14.1. He runs a rack occasionally, but usually
> its because he got out of line and happened to make one or a few tough
> shots to recover. In straight pool (equal offense), he's made it into the
> second rack many times, but I don't think he's ever made it into the third
> rack. I would say he knows the stuff that's in Byrne's standard book

> pretty well and overall has good technical knowledge. So I suppose

> general cueball control and stuff like when to use two rails instead of

Jimbo Ct

未读,
1998年11月5日 03:00:001998/11/5
收件人
>I would say he knows the stuff that's in Byrne's standard book<BR>
>pretty well

DAMN he dosen't need no stinkin videos get him on the pro tour. seriously I
would say get him that Asian guy who knocks the quater off the rail into a
glass 2 tables over and he shoots like 6 balls in the same pocket with the
first one he shot going in last. I'm not sure the name of this video but I know
someone else out there has seen it. It is the most amazeing thing I have ever
seen. Come on guys help me whats the name and who sells it???

JIM <---Has seen many things you would never believe.

QMagic150

未读,
1998年11月5日 03:00:001998/11/5
收件人
I think the video you are thinking of is called "Mind Blowing Trickshots in
Pool and Billiards" The asian guy's name is Yoshikazu Kimura.

Money is the root of all evil today. No it isn't what the heck am I thinking.
Mr. Smith

Roger Ballenger

未读,
1998年11月5日 03:00:001998/11/5
收件人
Just for inspiration, I'd get the 1992 U.S. Open match, Mike Sigel Vs. Mike
Zuglan 14.1, in which Sigel runs 150 and out from Zuglan's opening safety.

This tape is available at:

http://www.accu-stats.com/

The info on this is:

15SP-01 换 Mike Sigel defs Mike Zuglan 150- 0 $24

I've watched this tape several times. It is some of the most perfect
straight pool I've ever seen.

Roger Ballenger

Karla Chorny

未读,
1998年11月8日 03:00:001998/11/8
收件人
And you can get this and another tape with 8-ball, 9-ball and straight pool
run outs for $29.95. The number to call is usually advertised
during the Monday night matches on ESPN.

Karla

AL11KIDS wrote in message <19981104202951...@ng105.aol.com>...

louie

未读,
1998年11月9日 03:00:001998/11/9
收件人
the byrne's video's are the best  instructional.  There are alot out there that get into specific parts of games.  My advice would be the byrne's first then try other ones.

www.louiesbilliards.com

Mike Page wrote:

I've got about 6 weeks till my son's 17th birthday, and I'd like to get
him one or a few videos.  I know "best videos" stuff has been bounced
around a lot here, but I was hoping somebody might have more
individualized advice.  Mike plays  more 9-ball than anything else, but he
also plays 8-ball and some 14.1.  He runs a rack occasionally, but usually
its because he got out of line and happened to make one or a few tough
shots to recover.  In straight pool (equal offense), he's made it into the
second rack many times, but I don't think he's ever made it into the third

rack.  I would say he knows the stuff that's in Byrne's standard book

twc

未读,
1998年11月9日 03:00:001998/11/9
收件人
>Mike Page wrote:
>
>> I've got about 6 weeks till my son's 17th birthday, and I'd like to get
>> him one or a few videos. [...]

Unless he's different from every 17 year old I know, you should try to
find tape[s] with some flash or excitement in them. At his age, pure
instruction blows. My favorite pool tapes, all one-pocket matches
being 'post mortemed' to death, would bore the socks off the average
teenager (and most other rational human beings). Think style over
substance, IMO...

TW

0 个新帖子