Pool Gambling 101?

Billy Bob

Dec 18, 2004, 12:22:19 PM12/18/04
I've searched the net high and low and can't find any basic tutorials on
pool gambling - how to - terms/slang used - how to ask someone else for a
game - when to agree to what, etc. Basic pool gambling 101!

Please 'splain this to me Lucy....

I did find terms like the following...

He gave him the 5-6 and the breaks.
All he wanted was the 7,8 and the breaks.
11-8 and the breaks for 2k plus the rail.
Gave him the call 8 and the last 2 in a race to 9 for a dime a set.
9 to 8 and the breaks for 7 dollars a game and another dollar on the rail.
I offered him 2 banks spot in a race to 5.
Offered him the 7 ball.
Offered him the wild 8 and the breaks.
I played with a 9-7 and the breaks spot.
I should have ask for 11-6 and the breaks.
The eight and the breaks, two on the wire.
Gave him the 5 and the breaks and 2 on the wire in a race to 3.
I need the seven and the breaks.
I'll take the 6 and the breaks.
The player must make all the breaks (hard, wide-open, hit 1-Ball first).
I'll spot you the 8 ball.
I'll give up the last three.
I gave up the seven and the eight.
You must call your money ball.
Game on the wire instead of spotting balls.
If you make my money ball on the break, it gets spotted.
I win if my spot ball goes in on the break.
You are always on two fouls.
I get odds on the money -- especially in a ring game.

Fast Larry

Dec 18, 2004, 12:50:18 PM12/18/04
The Hustlers handbook, the bible on the subject. www.fastlarrypool.com

Jim Wyant

Dec 18, 2004, 4:20:22 PM12/18/04
How do you find any of this confusing. These are all perfectly clear
propositions. I'll do a few for you, then see if you can figure out the
rest.

On 12/18/04 12:22 PM, in article 32j799F...@individual.net, "Billy Bob"
<billybo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've searched the net high and low and can't find any basic tutorials on
> pool gambling - how to - terms/slang used - how to ask someone else for a
> game - when to agree to what, etc. Basic pool gambling 101!
>
> Please 'splain this to me Lucy....
>
> I did find terms like the following...
>
> He gave him the 5-6 and the breaks.
> All he wanted was the 7,8 and the breaks.

9 Ball. Opponent wanted to break on every rack, and if he make the 7, 8 or
9 he wins the rack. Probably the wild 7 & 8 since no statement of "called"
or "in order" is made.

> 11-8 and the breaks for 2k plus the rail.

1 Pocket. Player A has to make 11 balls to Player B's 8. $2000 per rack
plus he covers the side action.
Or if this is 9 ball (unlikely, but...) Player A has to win 11 racks to
Player B's 8 racks. Usually this would be stated as Race to 11, spot you 3.

> Gave him the call 8 and the last 2 in a race to 9 for a dime a set.
> 9 to 8 and the breaks for 7 dollars a game and another dollar on the rail.
> I offered him 2 banks spot in a race to 5.
> Offered him the 7 ball.
> Offered him the wild 8 and the breaks.

9 Ball. It makes it clear that the 8 can be made in any order and still get
the win. Weaker player gets all the breaks.

> I played with a 9-7 and the breaks spot.
> I should have ask for 11-6 and the breaks.
> The eight and the breaks, two on the wire.
> Gave him the 5 and the breaks and 2 on the wire in a race to 3.
> I need the seven and the breaks.
> I'll take the 6 and the breaks.
> The player must make all the breaks (hard, wide-open, hit 1-Ball first).
> I'll spot you the 8 ball.
> I'll give up the last three.

9 Ball. If you make any of the 3 highest numbered balls on the table, you
win the game. This is better than getting the 7 & 8 because, if you're
opponent drops the 7/8 they are essentially taking away winning potential
balls on you.

> I gave up the seven and the eight.
> You must call your money ball.
> Game on the wire instead of spotting balls.
> If you make my money ball on the break, it gets spotted.
> I win if my spot ball goes in on the break.
> You are always on two fouls.

Interesting one, can't believe too many players would take this one. This
makes it so that if your opponent commits a foul, they automatically lose
the game due to having 3 fouls.