1996 draft a bust

Todd Trubey

Jun 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/25/96

I'm going to go out on a limb here. This year's draft is going to be a huge
bust. Maybe not Hudson Hawk, maybe not Waterworld, but at least a Beverly
Hills Cop III. This year marks the anniversary of the dreaded 1986 draft.
For those of you who don't remember, that was the year that had Brad Daugherty
going first, Len "Dead on Arrival" Bias second, and Chris "biggest flop of all
time" Washburn going third. It also gave us Roy Tarpley and a bunch of other
druggies. Possibly the biggest success high in the draft has been Chuck
"Pop-Gun" Person; that should tell you a lot.

I see three reasons for this year being a watershed year of disappointment.
First, all the players coming out too early. What is it, 40something early
entries, including 3 high school players? Please. They haven't developed the
skills and maturity yet. Not everyone is a Penny or even a Kevin Garnett.
Second, none of the high picks plays a position. Iverson and Stephon are not
point guards. They are scorers who sometimes have to pass the ball. One'll
probably turn into a Dee Brown, and another into a Nick Van Exel. Marcus
Camby? Great kid. Not a center. Not a 3. And where's his "power?" He's
not tough enough for the pro game. Ray Allen? Didn't he go to Connecticut?
Enough said. Finally, the 3 year contract is going to have a bunch of these
guys out quickly. They won't develop quickly enough, and no one West of
Portugal will want to pay them to do so in their fourth year.

Trube

tony watkins

Jun 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/25/96
to Todd Trubey

Todd Trubey wrote:

> I'm going to go out on a limb here. This year's draft is going to be a huge
> bust. Maybe not Hudson Hawk, maybe not Waterworld, but at least a Beverly
> Hills Cop III. This year marks the anniversary of the dreaded 1986 draft.
> For those of you who don't remember, that was the year that had Brad Daugherty
> going first, Len "Dead on Arrival" Bias second, and Chris "biggest flop of all
> time" Washburn going third. It also gave us Roy Tarpley and a bunch of other
> druggies. Possibly the biggest success high in the draft has been Chuck
> "Pop-Gun" Person; that should tell you a lot.

Daugherty was, by far, the biggest success from this draft even with the injuries. He's
a five time all star; I don't think the rest of the first round combined had five
all-star appearances. To be fair, Mark Price and Dennis Rodman were high second round
picks that year (25th and 27th overall), but would be counted as first rounders now.

> I see three reasons for this year being a watershed year of disappointment.
> First, all the players coming out too early. What is it, 40something early
> entries, including 3 high school players? Please. They haven't developed the
> skills and maturity yet. Not everyone is a Penny or even a Kevin Garnett.
> Second, none of the high picks plays a position. Iverson and Stephon are not
> point guards. They are scorers who sometimes have to pass the ball. One'll
> probably turn into a Dee Brown, and another into a Nick Van Exel. Marcus
> Camby? Great kid. Not a center. Not a 3. And where's his "power?" He's
> not tough enough for the pro game. Ray Allen? Didn't he go to Connecticut?
> Enough said. Finally, the 3 year contract is going to have a bunch of these
> guys out quickly. They won't develop quickly enough, and no one West of
> Portugal will want to pay them to do so in their fourth year.

Well, at least five guys are going to make the all-rookie team. I agree with your
assessment, but can't imagine all five of the top five failing. I think Iverson
(bacause of his exceptional quickness) and Allen (unselfish, smooth can jump and he did
play three years) have the best chances for success. I also think that some of the
overlooked underclassmen (specifically Antoine and Samaki Walker) are going to perform
better than the higher ranked guys. I think Marbury, Abdur-Rahim and Lorenzen Wright
are the top ten guys in for the rudest awakening. Abdur-Rahim and Wright because they
just aren't fully developed physically or mentally tough enough yet. Marbury, well,
because I just don't like him (I lived in NYC while he was in high school and he
appeared insufferable and too full of himself then; he does have tremendous talent).

I also notice that several teams in the top five are seriously considering moving down,
indicating how poorly this draft is perceived. Even more telling, there aren't many
offers to move up. I think some of the lower first round guys might actually
out-perform the higher guys in the first couple years due to their physical and
emotional maturity. Steve Nash, John Wallace, Kerry Kittles and the players with
European experience are the older guys I can see doing well in their first couple years.

TW

> Trube

Douglas Hayden

Jun 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/25/96

On Stardate 25 Jun 96 13:32:51 GMT, Todd Trubey stated:

: I'm going to go out on a limb here. This year's draft is going to be

a huge : bust. Maybe not Hudson Hawk, maybe not Waterworld, but at
least a Beverly : Hills Cop III. This year marks the anniversary of the
dreaded 1986 draft. : For those of you who don't remember, that was the
year that had Brad Daugherty : going first, Len "Dead on Arrival" Bias
second, and Chris "biggest flop of all : time" Washburn going third. It
also gave us Roy Tarpley and a bunch of other : druggies. Possibly the
biggest success high in the draft has been Chuck : "Pop-Gun" Person;
that should tell you a lot.

You're missing out on quite a few players, Trube:
Mark "Ow, my knees!" Price (#25)
Ron "Ow, my knees but I can still skool Payton" Harper (#7)
Jeff "Remember me?" Hornacek (way low)
and most importantly...
Dennis "The Multi-Colored Mound of Rebound" Rodman (#27)

----------
Doug "Heck, Dough-boy was a better success than Person" Hayden
Grand Duke, Czardom of Cleveland
SDMD: Of course, I could be totally wrong.
----------

stevelutzke

Jun 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/25/96

tr...@merle.acns.nwu.edu (Todd Trubey) wrote:

>I'm going to go out on a limb here. This year's draft is going to be a huge
>bust. Maybe not Hudson Hawk, maybe not Waterworld, but at least a Beverly
>Hills Cop III. This year marks the anniversary of the dreaded 1986 draft.

>Second, none of the high picks plays a position. Iverson and Stephon are not

>point guards. They are scorers who sometimes have to pass the ball. One'll
>probably turn into a Dee Brown, and another into a Nick Van Exel. Marcus
>Camby? Great kid. Not a center. Not a 3. And where's his "power?" He's
>not tough enough for the pro game. Ray Allen? Didn't he go to Connecticut?
>Enough said. Finally, the 3 year contract is going to have a bunch of these
>guys out quickly. They won't develop quickly enough, and no one West of
>Portugal will want to pay them to do so in their fourth year.

I'd have to agree - I'd wager 3 out of the top 5 will be sad stories.
Another will be decent and the 5th will be above average at best.

sam...@sprynet.com

Jun 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/26/96

I disagree with everything this guy said!!!!

1. Waterworld broke even. In fact, it made a profit (thanx to the overseas market)
2. Marbury is a point guard. What the hell were you watchin when you saw him play?
3. Camby suffers from lack of weight dumbass..NOT TOUGHNESS!!!!!
4. Nash is garbage. The NBA is unkind to slow-poke jump shooters.
5 . Allen went to UConn. So What!!!! Danny Ferry, Hurley, and Laettner went to Duke. Is G
Hill a bust
6. 86=96? What are you? A goddamn numerologist!!!!!!

kel...@ccsua.ctstateu.edu

Jun 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/26/96

No shit huh???.... the guy who posted this must be a Dookie
fan or something. The only point he has is the one on his
head. Get a clue ya dumbfuck, there is ALOT of potential
talent in this draft and i hope Len Bias haunts yer sorry
ass and makes you piss yer pants.

Anti-Dookie

Todd Trubey

Jun 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/26/96

dha...@cps.udayton.edu (Douglas Hayden) writes:

>You're missing out on quite a few players, Trube:
>Mark "Ow, my knees!" Price (#25)
>Ron "Ow, my knees but I can still skool Payton" Harper (#7)
>Jeff "Remember me?" Hornacek (way low)
>and most importantly...
>Dennis "The Multi-Colored Mound of Rebound" Rodman (#27)

Yeah, a few corrections to my early post. I meant to say that Person might be
the biggest success *after* Daugherty, but didn't. And also I should have
mentioned the key 2nd rounders, but didn't. Although there were late
surprises in this draft, it still remains one of disappointment for teams all
over the league. That a few teams got lucky with low picks doesn't make up
for the high busts.

I don't think Harper is that great for a #7 pick--anymore.

>Doug "Heck, Dough-boy was a better success than Person" Hayden
>Grand Duke, Czardom of Cleveland
>SDMD: Of course, I could be totally wrong.

Trube