Robinson, Hill, Howard, Rose, Kidd, Childress, O'bannon, Marshall

Morales Nelson E

Mar 21, 1994, 12:15:21 PM3/21/94
It's Tourney time again, and again the question arises: Who is the best player?
Here are my opinions, I am also interested in yours. If you feel that I have
neglected someone, please feel free to let me know.

#1. Glenn Robinson
Of course, who else could it be? The Big Dawg can do so many things (I won't say do it all because he can't really pass like some of the other
players who will appear on my list. Robinson is probably the best pure
scorer in the nation. He can hit from inside or outside and is virtually indefensible. I haven't seen anyone slow him down all year.
He is just too quick for the big guys, and too big for the quick guys.
Glenn is also the big ten's leading Windex Man, cleaning the glass for
more than 10 rebounds a game. His defense is a very underated part of his game, but he could still use a lot of improvement in this area.
Glenn is my pick for the best player in the country this year.
#2. Grant Hill
Hill was a close second in my mind. His incredible overall talent and the incredible leadership he brought to the Blue Devils this year made
him my pick for the second best player in the country this year. Duke
wouldn't have even been in the top 15 teams in the country without Hill
this year. Next year could be a down year for Duke unless they have
some major contributions from Capel and their freshman. Hill has moved
from playing small forward his freshman year, to shooting guard his
junior year, and now, with the absence of Hurly, he is a PTPer (Prime
Time Playe) at the point. His versatility and ability to "do it all",
Score, Rebound, Dish out assists, and Play tough defense, makes him one
of the best players to perform at the college level in a long time and
my selection for the second best player in the country this year.

#3. Donyell Marshall
I haven't seen much of Marshall this year, but from highlights and statistics, he would have to be my choice for the third best player
in the country. Please correct me if I am mistaken, but I have heard
him compared to Scotty Pippen. I think he is slightly taller and
heavier than Pippen, with a little bit more postability, but not
quite as good a ball-handler and slasher. I'm not sure about his
rebounding, I think it is pretty good, but he is one of the most
consistent scorers in the nation, leading UConn to an impressive
27-4 record this year, posting more wins than anyone else in the
country and making him my #3 player this year.
#4. Jalen Rose
Jalen had an incredible year this year for the Wolverines. With Webber gone, Rose stepped up all aspects of his game, taking up the slack.
Jalen is another one of those players that can "do it all". He uses his combination of height and quickness well, elevating over smaller
defenders for shots, seeing over them to find his teammates with great passes, flying in for rebounds and igniting the crowd with his
spectacular plays.

I'll post my next four players later....thanks.

Ed Morales
nmor...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu

matthew v kaufmann

Mar 21, 1994, 1:14:54 PM3/21/94
In article <2mkkn9$q...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,

Morales Nelson E <nmor...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>It's Tourney time again, and again the question arises: Who is the best player?
>Here are my opinions, I am also interested in yours. If you feel that I have
>neglected someone, please feel free to let me know.
>
> #1. Glenn Robinson
> #2. Grant Hill
> #3. Donyell Marshall
> #4. Jalen Rose
>
> Ed Morales
> nmor...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu

Please oh please will someone suck up your eastern pride and acknowledge
that Arizona's Khalid Reeves is among the best in the nation and is
almost certainly a high 1st round pick in the draft. He's averaging
over 24 a game and 30 a game in the tourney, including 30 pts against
Cornell Parker, probably the best defensive player in the nation.
He has become Arizona's single season highest scorer besting
Sean Elliott. I'm not going to knock the above players but it is a
great disservice that Khalid doesn't get more press.

mk

*
* Matthew V. Kaufmann GGG OOO CCC AAA TTTTT SSSS
* Dept. of Mechanical Eng. G O O C A A T S
* University of Arizona G GGG O O C AAAAA T SSS
* ma...@convx1.ccit.arizona.edu G G O O C A A T S
* GGG OOO CCC A A T SSSS
*
* "You haven't earned the RIGHT to tell me to shut up!" - Repo Man
*

Eric DeFonso

Mar 21, 1994, 2:07:58 PM3/21/94
In article <2mko6u$l...@auggie.CCIT.Arizona.EDU> kauf...@helium.tmc.edu (matthew v kaufmann) writes:
>Please oh please will someone suck up your eastern pride and acknowledge
>that Arizona's Khalid Reeves is among the best in the nation and is
>almost certainly a high 1st round pick in the draft. He's averaging
>over 24 a game and 30 a game in the tourney, including 30 pts against
>Cornell Parker, probably the best defensive player in the nation.
>He has become Arizona's single season highest scorer besting
>Sean Elliott. I'm not going to knock the above players but it is a
>great disservice that Khalid doesn't get more press.

Toward the end of the Virginia game, I remember one of the announcers on
CBS compared Khalid Reeves to Joe Dumars. I got to thinking about it, and
I must say I really like the comparison. Dumars is a terrific defender
and an excellent shooter, and Reeves resembles him in build and style. I
think Reeves could be one of the surprise (not to me) successes in the
NBA.

--
They laughed when I said someday I'd be a comedian. They aren't laughing now.
Eric DeFonso - Atmospheric Sciences, University of California

j...@aero.org

Mar 25, 1994, 1:03:14 PM3/25/94
matthew v kaufmann writes

> In article <2mkkn9$q...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,
> Morales Nelson E <nmor...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> >It's Tourney time again, and again the question arises: Who is the
best player?
> >Here are my opinions, I am also interested in yours. If you feel that
I have
> >neglected someone, please feel free to let me know.
> >
> > #1. Glenn Robinson
> > #2. Grant Hill
> > #3. Donyell Marshall
> > #4. Jalen Rose

Blasphemer!!! You left out Juwan Howard!