LA Times Columnist to disect

Paul

Dec 12, 2000, 3:12:59 PM12/12/00
Hey all,

I thought the crowd here could have fun with this article:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/updates/lat_plaschke001212.htm

Of course, after reading the headline, it's understandable if you don't
even want to give it the time of day...

Cheers,
Paul

Paul G. Wenthold

Dec 12, 2000, 3:24:00 PM12/12/00

Of course, it could have been written by Al Spalding in 1900.

paul

Gulab Jamun

Dec 12, 2000, 3:58:26 PM12/12/00

An article written by Bill Plaschke, the dumbest sports writer in all
of Los Angeles (maybe the country). He's also not a fan of any LA
teams. They can never do good for him. God only knows why he is still
writing for the LA Times.

- Gulab Jamun

Mosey voted twice

Dec 12, 2000, 4:00:31 PM12/12/00
In article <900897BD...@206.172.150.51>,

I didn't read it, so someone tell me if he backs-up or makes a bet that
if attendence keeps going up over say five years he owes us all
something.
--
John Mosey Brewers-o-meter |..X........|.........|
www.mosey.com Mosey's Fantasy Baseball

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Voros

Dec 12, 2000, 5:18:19 PM12/12/00

Baseball's dying huh?

Currently the NFL is in the midst of the playoff run.

The NBA has been playing for about a month a half.

The NHL season is going on, and Mario Lemieux has come out of retirement.

And yet the only thing any of the sportswriters want to talk about is
baseball. You suppose they could explain why exactly that is?

It's in so much trouble it's stealing headlines from all of the other
major sports in this country during it's own offseason. Seems to me
there's more interest in Baseball than any other sport.

--
Voros McCracken
vo...@daruma.co.jp

Voros

Dec 12, 2000, 5:19:29 PM12/12/00
Jason Michael Barker <jmba...@udotwashington.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Paul wrote:

>> http://www.latimes.com/sports/updates/lat_plaschke001212.htm

> [re: Rodriguez] "Clogged with $25 million a year for a player who will
> fail nearly 70% of the time at bat and touch the ball five times a game in
> the field."

> Is anyone else sick of the 70% failure rate myth?

What was Wayne Gretzky's career failure rate on shots?

Glenn A Tanner

Dec 12, 2000, 6:44:04 PM12/12/00

I can't believe no one has mentioned this part:

"Today, the Twins wake up with zero chance to make next year's
playoffs. Like the Pittsburgh Pirates. Like the Montreal Expos. Like
about all but five or six teams."

Did I miss an important playoff restructuring announcement?

GT

Ben Flieger

Dec 12, 2000, 7:15:15 PM12/12/00

"Glenn A Tanner" <tan...@Hawaii.Edu> wrote in message

> >Of course, after reading the headline, it's understandable if you
don't
> >even want to give it the time of day...
>
> I can't believe no one has mentioned this part:
>
> "Today, the Twins wake up with zero chance to make next year's
> playoffs. Like the Pittsburgh Pirates. Like the Montreal Expos.
Like
> about all but five or six teams."
>
> Did I miss an important playoff restructuring announcement?

Astoundingly, Florida is a big market again. The Twins were the last
small market team to win the World Series, says this guy.

He also mentions $60 tickets, speaks lovingly of the NFL, and says
ARod will fail nearly 70% of the time at bat.

I also like the entirely pointless: "I also remember Orel Hershiser,"
says baseball. "When you mention Dodger pitchers, I think about
Hershiser and the summer of 1988 and, well, he was never paid like
Dreifort, right?"

Craig S. Richardson

Dec 12, 2000, 8:30:31 PM12/12/00
On 12 Dec 2000 23:44:04 GMT, tan...@Hawaii.Edu (Glenn A Tanner)
wrote:

Apparenty the Pirates' GM did too, since he's buying up veteran
mediocrities as if this year's playoffs were his goal.

--Craig

--
David Collins from Burnley: 70K pounds
Luke Weaver from Spurs: 500K pounds

David Marc Nieporent

Dec 12, 2000, 8:43:06 PM12/12/00
In <jkkd3tslut8qpmelv...@4ax.com>,
Craig S. Richardson <crichar...@worldnet.att.net> claimed:

>On 12 Dec 2000 23:44:04 GMT, tan...@Hawaii.Edu (Glenn A Tanner) wrote:
>>Paul <_two...@excite.com> wrote:

>>>Hey all,
>>>I thought the crowd here could have fun with this article:
>>>http://www.latimes.com/sports/updates/lat_plaschke001212.htm
>>>Of course, after reading the headline, it's understandable if you don't
>>>even want to give it the time of day...

>>I can't believe no one has mentioned this part:
>>"Today, the Twins wake up with zero chance to make next year's
>>playoffs. Like the Pittsburgh Pirates. Like the Montreal Expos. Like
>>about all but five or six teams."
>>Did I miss an important playoff restructuring announcement?

>Apparenty the Pirates' GM did too, since he's buying up veteran
>mediocrities as if this year's playoffs were his goal.

I'd say that he's buying up veteran mediocrities as if the 1995 playoffs
were his goal.
--
David M. Nieporent Roberto Petagine for the
niep...@alumni.princeton.edu Hall of Fame

Tom MacIntyre

Dec 12, 2000, 8:47:34 PM12/12/00

About the same?...maybe higher?...significantly higher? Maybe
lower?...

He scored a maximum of 90 or so goals one year...if his team averaged
40 shots on goal, for 80 games, that's 3200 shots. If he missed 7/10,
that would mean that he took 300 shots, or about 9% of the team's
shots. At this stage, my speculation has to give way to factual data,
but I think the actual numbers will be very different. OTOH, it's
apples/oranges, too.

The 70% failure myth is just a way to humiliate batters...that's the
very reason why other means of measuring performance may be
appropriate... :-)

Tom

Tom

Doug Pappas

Dec 12, 2000, 8:55:15 PM12/12/00
In article <jkkd3tslut8qpmelv...@4ax.com>, Craig S. Richardson
<crichar...@worldnet.att.net> writes:

>>"Today, the Twins wake up with zero chance to make next year's
>>playoffs. Like the Pittsburgh Pirates. Like the Montreal Expos. Like
>>about all but five or six teams."
>>
>>Did I miss an important playoff restructuring announcement?
>
>Apparenty the Pirates' GM did too, since he's buying up veteran
>mediocrities as if this year's playoffs were his goal.

I think the Bucs are going for the '95 playoffs.

Doug Pappas

Doug Norris

Dec 12, 2000, 8:51:38 PM12/12/00
Voros <vo...@daruma.co.jp> writes:

>Jason Michael Barker <jmba...@udotwashington.edu> wrote:

>> Is anyone else sick of the 70% failure rate myth?

>What was Wayne Gretzky's career failure rate on shots?

Probably a bit higher. However, a shot that doesn't result in a goal isn't
necessarily a failure; rebounds and deflections both are positive benefits
that don't show up in (Goals/Shots).

Shooting percentage in hockey also isn't a direct indicator of accuracy,
either; Ramond Bourque would, for years, win the NHL's most accurate shooter
competition at the All-Star Game, yet his shooting percentages were in the
mid single digits.

Doug

Douglas Todd Norris (norr...@euclid.colorado.edu) - Ph.D Candidate (MATH)
Hockey Goaltender Home Page:http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~norrisdt/goalie.html
"I wish everybody would have to have an electric thing implanted in our heads
that gave us a shock whenever we did something to disobey the president.
Then somehow, I get myself elected president." - Deep Thought, Jack Handey

John Northey

Dec 12, 2000, 11:11:16 PM12/12/00
tmac...@ns.sympatico.ca (Tom MacIntyre) wrote:
>On 12 Dec 2000 22:19:29 GMT, Voros <vo...@daruma.co.jp> wrote:
>>Jason Michael Barker <jmba...@udotwashington.edu> wrote:
>>> Is anyone else sick of the 70% failure rate myth?
>>
>>What was Wayne Gretzky's career failure rate on shots?
>
>About the same?...maybe higher?...significantly higher? Maybe
>lower?...

It was 82.1% lifetime (not counting his final season as my 'Total
Hockey edition isn't that up to date). In hockey getting shots on
goal into the net 20% of the time is impressive. It isn't unusual to
see a top goal scorer fall to below 10%.

John Northey.
Crazy Canadian and creator of the Fans of Teri Sue Wood site.
http://members.home.net/terisuewood/

Voros

Dec 13, 2000, 1:13:32 AM12/13/00
Doug Norris <norr...@rintintin.colorado.edu> wrote:
> Voros <vo...@daruma.co.jp> writes:

>>Jason Michael Barker <jmba...@udotwashington.edu> wrote:

>>> Is anyone else sick of the 70% failure rate myth?

>>What was Wayne Gretzky's career failure rate on shots?

> Probably a bit higher. However, a shot that doesn't result in a goal isn't
> necessarily a failure; rebounds and deflections both are positive benefits
> that don't show up in (Goals/Shots).

Of course an at bat that doesn't result in a hit isn't necessarily a
failure. If you "put in play" there could be errors, you could get a
runner in position to score an important run, or even knock that run in
yourself.

Voros

Dec 13, 2000, 1:14:13 AM12/13/00

That's great stuff.

James Allen

Dec 15, 2000, 12:32:24 AM12/15/00

And the jeremiads (predictably) keep comin'. I assume all these sportswriters
have a central database that makes it easy for them to keep regurgitating the
same articles over and over. Yawn.