Red Sox Trade ...

Chun-Cherng Wong

Oct 6, 1993, 2:03:15 AM10/6/93
Before I move to Houston, I stayed in Boston for two years. Sure, I am a
red sox fan. They have super-star players like clements, Boggs, Burks ...
What I found out is their management is suck. I really mean it. Red Sox has a
pretty good market, they get a lot of money to sign players, but the quality of
the team is getting worse.
If they are really smart, this year Red Sox team can be:

1st Base : Mo Vaugh
2nd Base : Scott Fletcher
3rd Base : Jeff Bagwell
Short stop : Valentine
DH : Mark McGuire
Left field : Phil Plantier
centre field: Ellis Burks
right field : Mike Greenwell
catcher : Tony Pena

& well-known Solid pitching staffs
The other important point of this team is they are much *younger*.
It does look like a championship team.

Another comment: It is not easy to play in Fenway Park!
(huge pressure from media and people in Boston)

--Go Sox.

Todd Rader

Oct 6, 1993, 3:45:20 PM10/6/93
In article <28tn33$r...@priddy.cs.utexas.edu> ch...@cs.utexas.edu (Chun-Cherng Wong) writes:
> Before I move to Houston, I stayed in Boston for two years. Sure, I am a
>red sox fan. They have super-star players like clements, Boggs, Burks ...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Uh, yeah. How much of a fan can you be here?

- The best pitcher in baseball over the last five years spells
his name "Clemens".
- Boggs wears the pinstripes of the Yankees now.
- Burks plays for the Sox, but his sox are now White.

>What I found out is their management is suck. I really mean it. Red Sox has a
>pretty good market, they get a lot of money to sign players, but the quality of
>the team is getting worse.
> If they are really smart, this year Red Sox team can be:
>
> 1st Base : Mo Vaugh
> 2nd Base : Scott Fletcher
> 3rd Base : Jeff Bagwell

How are they going to pry Bagwell from Houston?

> Short stop : Valentine

Heeheehee...I know this is a mere typo, but the thought of r.s.bb's
own Ted Fischer playing short for the Sox is priceless :-)

> DH : Mark McGuire
> Left field : Phil Plantier
> centre field: Ellis Burks
> right field : Mike Greenwell
> catcher : Tony Pena

Hmmm...I think I realize what you're doing here now. You're saying this
*could* have been the lineup, had the Sox played their cards better, right?
In that case, then yes, McGwire did indeed flirt with the idea of playing
with Boston, but I'm not convinced he was completely serious. But if he
had signed with the Sox, why in the world would you have him DH and have
Vaughn play first? McGwire is a vastly (okay, inasmuch as there can be
vast differences in 1B fielding...) superior fielder than Vaughn. I'd
reverse their positions.

Another point: Red Sox fans are split on the issue of the Bagwell trade.
Sure, they could still have him, but this is by no means a clear-cut
bonehead move by Gorman (unlike, say, the Plantier trade).

> & well-known Solid pitching staffs
> The other important point of this team is they are much *younger*.
> It does look like a championship team.

...or at least a contender. But a more typical Clemens year would
have helped immensely, even with the lineup they did end up fielding
this year.

> Another comment: It is not easy to play in Fenway Park!
> (huge pressure from media and people in Boston)

No argument here. I don't think it's quite as bad as being a Yankee,
but I wouldn't wish the Boston sports media on anybody. Except perhaps
George Steinbrenner :-)

-todd

Joshua Reuben Rovner

Oct 7, 1993, 1:16:09 AM10/7/93
>> Before I move to Houston, I stayed in Boston for two years. Sure, I am a
>>red sox fan. They have super-star players like clements, Boggs, Burks ...
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Uh, yeah. How much of a fan can you be here?

>- The best pitcher in baseball over the last five years spells
> his name "Clemens".
>- Boggs wears the pinstripes of the Yankees now.
>- Burks plays for the Sox, but his sox are now White.

>>What I found out is their management is suck. I really mean it. Red Sox has a
>>pretty good market, they get a lot of money to sign players, but the quality of
>>the team is getting worse.
>> If they are really smart, this year Red Sox team can be:
>>
>> 1st Base : Mo Vaugh
>> 2nd Base : Scott Fletcher
>> 3rd Base : Jeff Bagwell

>How are they going to pry Bagwell from Houston?

This comment is so stupid I won't even respond.

>> Short stop : Valentine

>Heeheehee...I know this is a mere typo, but the thought of r.s.bb's
>own Ted Fischer playing short for the Sox is priceless :-)

Ditto

>> DH : Mark McGuire
>> Left field : Phil Plantier
>> centre field: Ellis Burks
>> right field : Mike Greenwell
>> catcher : Tony Pena

>Hmmm...I think I realize what you're doing here now. You're saying this
>*could* have been the lineup, had the Sox played their cards better, right?
>In that case, then yes, McGwire did indeed flirt with the idea of playing
>with Boston, but I'm not convinced he was completely serious. But if he
>had signed with the Sox, why in the world would you have him DH and have
>Vaughn play first? McGwire is a vastly (okay, inasmuch as there can be
>vast differences in 1B fielding...) superior fielder than Vaughn. I'd
>reverse their positions.

>Another point: Red Sox fans are split on the issue of the Bagwell trade.
>Sure, they could still have him, but this is by no means a clear-cut
>bonehead move by Gorman (unlike, say, the Plantier trade).

Oh, yes. This was clear-cut stupid. Dumb. El stupido

>> & well-known Solid pitching staffs
>> The other important point of this team is they are much *younger*.
>> It does look like a championship team.

>...or at least a contender. But a more typical Clemens year would
>have helped immensely, even with the lineup they did end up fielding
>this year.

>> Another comment: It is not easy to play in Fenway Park!
>> (huge pressure from media and people in Boston)

>No argument here. I don't think it's quite as bad as being a Yankee,
>but I wouldn't wish the Boston sports media on anybody. Except perhaps
>George Steinbrenner :-)

The Boston Globe is the greatest sports page in the country.

William Lee

Oct 8, 1993, 5:03:12 PM10/8/93
jr0...@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Joshua Reuben Rovner) writes:

>The Boston Globe is the greatest sports page in the country.

Wrong! (IMO). I've been to Boston and several other big cities.
I've lived in 3 major markets (albany not being one of them, obviously.
But nowhere that I've ever been can compare their sports coverage
with the Dallas/Ft. Worth media. The Morning News and the Startlegram
are both real good all-around sports papers. The talk shows are *the best*.
What's more, the coverage is great for non-Texas stuff and it's unusual
for papers to do good coverage of teams other than the local ones
(read Washington Post/new York Times here) BTW for such a renowned
newspaper, why do the sports pages of the Times suck so bad?

Michael Rawdon

Oct 8, 1993, 6:37:56 PM10/8/93
In <1993Oct7.0...@galileo.cc.rochester.edu> jr0...@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Joshua Reuben Rovner) writes:
>The Boston Globe is the greatest sports page in the country.

Depends what you're looking for. I have trouble with them simply because they
don't print complete baseball boxscores. In the two weeks I was there
recently, there were about 10-20 games during that span whose boxscores never,
EVER appeared in the Globe morning edition. Not even just a day late; just
not at all.

The Wisconsin State Journal, that I noticed, didn't miss a single boxscore in
their morning editions all season (and this isn't exactly a baseball town; the
U Wisconsin doesn't have a team, and the A's farm team is moving away before
next season). Sure, a few (maybe one per month) got printed a day late due to
being on the West coast, but at least they got printed.

Of course, your mileage may vary; baseball is the only sport I care about, so
their basketball, hockey, football, et. al. coverage could be outstanding, but
I wouldn't even bother reading 99.999% of it, because I'm not interested in
it.

Shrug.

--
Michael Rawdon raw...@colby.cs.wisc.edu
University of Wisconsin Computer Sciences Department, Madison, WI

"If he's worth five cents to me, then he's worth a dollar."
- Me, during my rotisserie baseball league's
auction about some now-forgotten player,

Barney Luttbeg

Oct 9, 1993, 6:31:41 PM10/9/93
In article <leew.750114192@wadsworth>, le...@ph.albany.edu (William Lee)
wrote:

I have to throw in a comment. When I lived in San Diego I felt that the
Los Angeles Times had a very good sports page. I got the san diego
edition, so all of the san diego and LA teams were well covered. I have
seen the Dallas Morning News while sitting around the airport, and I was
impressed by the fact they even had a soccer column.

Barney Luttbeg Center for Population Biology UC Davis

irv...@sscl.uwo.ca

Oct 9, 1993, 11:52:03 PM10/9/93

OK, so Dallas and San Diego are the greatest sports pages, huh? All right, how
much coverage does the NHL get in these papers? If they cover the NHL in these
markets (for Dallas, I mean before the Stars moved there), I will be VERY
impressed.

David DeMers

Oct 10, 1993, 2:06:40 PM10/10/93

In article <1993Oct9...@sscl.uwo.ca>, irv...@sscl.uwo.ca writes:
|> In article <btluttbeg-0...@pbmac-18.ucdavis.edu>, btlu...@ucdavis.edu (Barney Luttbeg) writes:

|> > I have to throw in a comment. When I lived in San Diego I felt that the

|> > Los Angeles Times had a very good sports page. I got the san diego
|> > edition, so all of the san diego and LA teams were well covered. I have
|> > seen the Dallas Morning News while sitting around the airport, and I was
|> > impressed by the fact they even had a soccer column.
|> >

|> OK, so Dallas and San Diego are the greatest sports pages, huh? All right, how
|> much coverage does the NHL get in these papers? If they cover the NHL in these
|> markets (for Dallas, I mean before the Stars moved there), I will be VERY
|> impressed.

Um, he was referring to the San Diego edition of the LA Times, which
unfortunately is now deceased due to budget cutbacks. I've lived just
about everywhere in CA, and have traveled a lot, reading the local papers
every place I visit. I think the LA Times ranks near the top in
sports coverage. They cover the NHL pretty well, pro and college
sports, and have quite good coverage of minor sports as well. Jim
Murray is a great writer and some of the other columnists are very
good.

The SF Chronicle is entertaining, but Cohn and Dickey are jerks. Both
carry out vendettas against players they don't like. Ray Ratto is
pretty good.

San Diego UT does NOT have particularly good sports coverage, though it
is better than many places. The Sacramento Bee does not deserve mention
as a "newspaper"...

The main Denver paper seems pretty good... any Denverites want to boast?
--
Dave DeMers dem...@cs.ucsd.edu
Computer Science & Engineering 0114 demers%c...@ucsd.bitnet

Joshua Reuben Rovner

Oct 10, 1993, 10:34:30 PM10/10/93
Leigh Montiville.
Bob Ryan.
Peter Gammons.
Dan Shaunessey.
Will McDonough.

Maybe you've heard of them.

They write for the Boston Globe. The best sportspage in the nation.