One other item about Fox coverage

NFN Smith

Oct 14, 2005, 5:10:30 PM10/14/05
After giving some further thought to the threads about Fox coverage,
something I realized is that they're not entirely to blame.

A lot of what Fox is doing now -- the panning of the crowd, using the
game to promote other Fox shows, the "up close and personal", even use
of instant reply, and all the other attention to the peripheral, was
pioneered by Roone Arledge in the mid-70's at ABC sports.

But Fox has taken Arledge's basics and gone to absurd lengths.

BTW, during last night's NL game, my wife was in the room during
Sanders' misplayed fly ball (and she's not especially interested in
baseball). She enjoyed seeing the first several replays at different
angles, but once they started repeating the replays, even she noted that
there were too many replays.

Smith

Steve

Oct 14, 2005, 5:20:03 PM10/14/05
NFN Smith wrote:

And then 15 minutes later, they replay them all over again because
Sanders is at bat. And then he takes the field again. And then the
original batter who hit the fly ball comes to bat...

--
Steve Alpert
MIT - B.S. '05, M.S. (Transportation) '06

NFN Smith

Oct 14, 2005, 5:21:15 PM10/14/05
Steve wrote:

> And then 15 minutes later, they replay them all over again because
> Sanders is at bat. And then he takes the field again. And then the
> original batter who hit the fly ball comes to bat...

Ker-barf.

I'd given up on the game by then.

Smith

Steve

Oct 14, 2005, 5:34:15 PM10/14/05
NFN Smith wrote:

I forgot one. Next catch Reggie makes. Oh, and next error by either team.

Tarkus

Oct 14, 2005, 6:25:37 PM10/14/05
On 10/14/2005 2:10:30 PM, NFN Smith wrote:

> BTW, during last night's NL game, my wife was in the room during
> Sanders' misplayed fly ball (and she's not especially interested in
> baseball). She enjoyed seeing the first several replays at different
> angles, but once they started repeating the replays, even she noted that
> there were too many replays.

I find it easier to do something else while the games are on, such as
mess around on the computer or whatever. It's too frustrating to try and
follow their complete coverage. I saw ONE replay of the Sanders injury,
and that was plenty enough for me.
--
"You have common sense and baseball sense. Baseball sense can take you
a long way. (laughing) Location makes you smart. If you see a pitcher

Now playing: "Howard Stern - 10-14-2005 Show part 01 "

brink

Oct 14, 2005, 7:44:47 PM10/14/05

"Steve" <smal...@hackmit.edu> wrote in message

to be fair, they're also catering to people like me who--for instance--tuned
back into the white sox/angels game just as the double was hit that scored
ozuna from 2nd in game 2. as ozuna touched home, buck said "and this is a
controversy that will be talked about for a loooong time..."

i'm thinking "whoa... what the heck?" as the sox celebrated, they talked
in the abstract about "the call" and "the controversy," and it seemed like
an eternity before they got around to replaying the play itself. so even
though the viewers that were there ad nauseam had seen the play a dozen
times, i was glad they were replaying it again...

with as much channel flipping as goes on these days, i'd think replaying
that stuff would be requisite...

brink