<off topic> baseball sims?

Brian Tate

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

Could not find anywhere else to ask this so maybe somebody here might
know.

What is the best baseball sim for the computer out these days. I have
been playing the Front Page Sports Series for years but want to know if
there is something or anything a little bit better. Want good
managing/GM options with decent graphics.

Seen out in stores:

High Heat Baseball 98
Triple Play 98
Hardball 6
etc....etc.

Thanks in advance.

mailto:bt...@interbiz.net

--
Brian Tate
BTate80 on TEN

David B.

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

Brian Tate wrote in message <3558BDAA...@interbiz.net>...

>Could not find anywhere else to ask this so maybe somebody here might
>know.
>
>What is the best baseball sim for the computer out these days. I have
>been playing the Front Page Sports Series for years but want to know if
>there is something or anything a little bit better. Want good
>managing/GM options with decent graphics.

You might head to www.dejanews.com to check out comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports
for some information on this. I can give you a quick run-down on what I've
read about each one there.

>High Heat Baseball 98

Aparently is a VERY accurate and fun representation of baseball with GREAT
AI. Fantastic game if you want arcade-type action where the joypad controls
the players. Weak on manage-only options, though, and almost nothing in the
way of GM options. Some manage-only types say the AI and baseball feel is
worth putting up with the lack of GM and manage-only options.

>Triple Play 98

Great graphics and sound. VERY weak representation of baseball. New patch
MIGHT have fixed the glaring problem that you couldn't get doubles and
triples in manage-only mode, but I don't know if that's been settled. AI is
said to be very weak. Not recommended by many baseball folks.

>Hardball 6

Disappointing graphics, sometimes runs slow on even faster machines. I
think the programming just isn't very sharp, unfortunately. This game has
flaws, but it's the one I own, and I like it for what it is. It's an arcade
game primarily, but has lots of manage-only options which allow you to
adjust baserunning aggressiveness, whether to go with rookies or veterans,
stick with the starter or go to the 'pen, etc., etc. ANd it has a career
mode which isn't perfect, but lets you build a team with free agents over a
number of years. Not enough walks (no walks in some cases in manage only
mode), and other flaws exist. But it's a decent game for the most part.
Again, it's been discussed at length in the sports games newsgroup...so
check out DejaNews for more.