tickets for Expos HELP

pmo...@kean.ucs.mun.ca

Mar 21, 1990, 11:42:24 AM3/21/90
I'm gpoing to be in Montreal April 11-15, Are the Expos playing at
home -- if so where can I get tickets (is there a number I can call to
reserve. What are good seats in the Big "Owe"? Any help you provide
will never be forgotten.

Please post or email responses.

Peter Morris (Newfoundland)

Adam BARR

Mar 27, 1990, 4:44:44 PM3/27/90
In article <71...@kean.ucs.mun.ca> pmo...@kean.ucs.mun.ca writes:
>I'm gpoing to be in Montreal April 11-15, Are the Expos playing at
>home -- if so where can I get tickets (is there a number I can call to
>reserve. What are good seats in the Big "Owe"? Any help you provide
>will never be forgotten.

I would recommend sitting in the bleachers at the Big O. As far as
I know they still cost $1 (Canadian), they are real seats, and they
are in a pretty good location (behind the outfield fence near the
foul poles). They are unreserved, just show up before the game and
buy them (gates open 1 1/2 hours before game time). The right-field
ones get the sun in the afternoon. This must be the best bargain
in baseball (especially if you go for a double-header on some
promo day).

BUT, the Expos tend to start the season with three-week road trips
due to the weather in Montreal this time of year, so they probably
won't be playing then.

Random Expos fact I find amusing...in 1988 John Dopson set the Expos
record for hits allowed in one game by a pitcher, sixteen.

The sixteenth broke up the shutout.

- Adam Barr, who hated the Langston trade from day 1, but now I live
in Seattle so it's not so bad.

Carl R. Gritter

Mar 27, 1990, 10:43:54 PM3/27/90
In article <53...@microsoft.UUCP> ada...@microsoft.UUCP (Adam BARR) writes:
>BUT, the Expos tend to start the season with three-week road trips
>due to the weather in Montreal this time of year, so they probably
>won't be playing then.

You obviously haven't been in Montreal lately. The "retractable" roof
on Olympic stadium is now completed, so the weather in April is
irrelevant. The Expos now usually start at home. The roof is almost
always closed because it cannot be retracted unless the winds are
under 5 mph (or thereabouts). There was at least one rain delay last
year when an unexpected storm hit (Atlanta at Montreal in late July
when the Expos were still in first). The Jays new Skydome is much
more impressive (and expensive).

>Random Expos fact I find amusing...in 1988 John Dopson set the Expos
>record for hits allowed in one game by a pitcher, sixteen.
>
>The sixteenth broke up the shutout.

Are you sure it was Dopson? My recollection is that it was Brian
Holman that almost pictched a 15 hit shutout. The last hit came with
two outs in the bottom of the ninth. This game was also against the
Braves, who at the time were really floundering. This year the tables
may be reversed.

>- Adam Barr, who hated the Langston trade from day 1, but now I live
> in Seattle so it's not so bad.

As I heard, Langston at one point was leaning towards signing with the
Expos when everything was going well but held off because of the late
season swoon where it was obvious to me that there was major dissension
among the Expo players. There were too many players that wanted to
get out of there fast.

Carl Gritter gri...@cs.purdue.edu

Howard Lem

Mar 28, 1990, 11:51:31 AM3/28/90
pmorris asks if the Expos are at home Apr 11 - 15.

Your in luck, according to my schedule, The mets are in on 13-15 for a 3 game
series.

Good luck! It might still be chilly there. Haven't been there since they
got their retractable cover.

howard
--
<<<<<<<<<========= ALL Usual disclaimers go here :-) =========>>>>>>>>>

Canada Post: Howard Lem - University of Toronto Computing Services
11 King's College Rd., Room 201B

Adam BARR

Mar 29, 1990, 3:11:54 PM3/29/90
In article <10...@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> gri...@cs.purdue.EDU (Carl R. Gritter) writes:
>In article <53...@microsoft.UUCP> ada...@microsoft.UUCP (Adam BARR) writes:
>>BUT, the Expos tend to start the season with three-week road trips
>>due to the weather in Montreal this time of year, so they probably
>>won't be playing then.
>>

>You obviously haven't been in Montreal lately. The "retractable" roof
>on Olympic stadium is now completed, so the weather in April is
>irrelevant. The Expos now usually start at home. The roof is almost
>always closed because it cannot be retracted unless the winds are
>under 5 mph (or thereabouts). There was at least one rain delay last
>year when an unexpected storm hit (Atlanta at Montreal in late July
>when the Expos were still in first). The Jays new Skydome is much
>more impressive (and expensive).

WOW!!! How totally embarrassing!! Well, it's true that I haven't been
in Montreal during baseball season for two years, but I HAVE been to
games under the "orange sky", I just completely forgot about it. Is
my credibility as a lifetime Expos fan forever lost? (please, no comments
about how much credibility an Expos fan can have these days).

I thought the SkyDome was cheaper (about $600 million). The stadium
was supposed to cost $120 million but wound up costing ten times that.
I think the completion of the roof cost $120 million.

And, I am fairly certain Dopson threw the 16 hitter. Only he
could get away with that kind of stuff.

So that this message has some content, I'll comment briefly on the
"Bill James Baseball Book 1990", which I bought yesterday (at
Waldenbooks where they had a huge display of baseball books...the
1990 Elias book, a book on collecting cards, some new book by
Sparky Lyle...but the Bill James book was back in the regular
Sports section!!). It's NOT an Abstract. Bill James has officially
recast himself as a baseball historian, not a statistician. The
book has three sections. One is a piece of what seems to be his
current main project which is something called the Biographic
Encyclopedia, which is a (very) complete biography of every player,
manager, hanger-on etc. in major league history. So far they have
written the letter A, but the book only contains entries up to
Cap Anson (his entry is about 10 pages of small type). This from
the man who once said he would never undertake any study that
took longer than a couple of weeks!

Another section is his comments on every major league player. He
does not rate them by position, just random comments. He calls
it the "draft guide" since it would be useful for rotisserie
leagues and so forth.

The final section (actually it's the first one in the book) is
a lot of short articles about baseball. Some of these are by
James, some by someone named Mike Kopf. Kopf has contributed to
previous abstracts so I guess he can be trusted. Just glancing
over it, it looked like there were a lot of articles about the
Cubs (I think Kopf is from Chicago).

The third author listed is Jack Etkin, a sportswriter. He helped
a lot with the Encyclopedia and other stuff. All in all, it's
not an Abstract but it's still vintage Bill James and worth
reading. See what he says about Pete Rose...not what you might
think!! Read his comments on Otis Nixon...say it ain't so!!
What does he think of Floyd Youmans...not much!!

James mentions a radio show he does called "Baseball Sunday with
Joe Garagiola". Does anyone know what station carries this in Seattle?

- Adam Barr